Julio vs AJG vs Dez

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
WelkerTexasRanger
Starter
Starter

Julio vs AJG vs Dez

Postby WelkerTexasRanger » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:03 am

These guys all came into the league in 2010 or 2011 and are all around 28-29. All have been elite at some stage in their careers or are still elite now.

With that said, I am wondering what the consensus on these guys is. Where are you valuing them, what are you doing with them if you have them, are you looking to acquire them and how do you see them over the next 2-3 years. Importantly too is what, if anything, is the difference in value between the three of them.

senska11
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Julio vs AJG vs Dez

Postby senska11 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:58 am

Julio and Green are far, far more valuable than Dez.
Unless I am in a total rebuild, I would keep the first two. From what I've seen, Dez doesn't have much value unless you can find a Cowboys homer. I would trade him if I could.

Julio and Green should have roughly a late first startup pick value. Dez is much lower, probably mid-late 3rd round or less startup value. The only way I would be buying Dez is if I was a real strong contender or could get a major discount on buying him.

failblazer
All Pro
All Pro

Postby failblazer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:28 pm

WelkerTexasRanger wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:03 am These guys all came into the league in 2010 or 2011 and are all around 28-29. All have been elite at some stage in their careers or are still elite now.
That's the important thing to me to clarify. Green and Julio are still elite. Aging but still elite. Dez is a WR2 now and a declining one.
Where are you valuing them
Green and Julio are guys that will be somewhere around thee back end of round one of a startup but guys I am hoping are taken ahead of me if I am sat there a 1.09 or 1.10. I would definitely take them if they fall to me but I am hoping someone takes them and someone like Hopkins drops to me instead.
what are you doing with them if you have them
If I have either Green or Julio I am holding unless I am in an absolute tear it down and start from the ground floor rebuild. In any other situation I think they are guys you hold for the next 2-3 years because they will still have elite production but their age will mean you will struggle to get trade value commensurate to that production. Plus, I don't think that the next generation of guys is really there are proven studs that you can package Green or Julio for to get younger. Any younger player comes with serious question marks.

Dez is very much in decline and in his case I am moving him unless I really need him to compete. If I can get one of those young receivers who I think will cement themselves at a true elite receiver then I'll roll the dice. Value wise he's a guy I'll take in the third round or maybe fourth and not feel great about.
are you looking to acquire them and how do you see them over the next 2-3 years
As stated above, Julio and Green will be guys who should, barring injury, maintain elite production in the next 2-3 years, so if I am a serious contender over the next few years then I will definitely try to acquire them. I think if I can get AJG for a picks and prospects then I definitely will. If he can help me go win a title or two then why not trade away the 50-50 shots and then maybe guys for locked in production? Obviously, I don't want to completely sell my future but both are guys I see having significant windows to produce, even though are will be labelled as "aging stars". They aren't running backs, they should very much be productive into their 30s.
16 Team PPR (11th Year Dynasty - Former 2 Time Champion)
P. Mahomes, Z. Wilson
C. McCaffrey, N. Harris, C. Hubbard
D. Hopkins, A. Cooper, C. Kupp, D. Johnson, G. Davis, D. Mims, J. Palmer
D. Waller, C. Kmet, B. Jordan

C. Young, R. Quinn
D. Leonard, M. Milano, C. Mosely, B. Okereke, J. Davis
J. Simmons, J. Fuller

Picks - 1.01, 2.12, 3.01, 3.15, 4.14

16 Team PPR (10th Year Dynasty - Reigning 5 Time Champion)
A. Rodgers, J. Fields
C. McCaffrey, D. Henry, J. Dobbins, M. Davis
D. Hopkins, D. Adams, C. Kupp, M. Jones, M. Valdes-Scantling, A. Green, T. Johnson, Dy. Brown, G. Pickens, J. Tolbert,
N. Fant, A. Okwugbunam, J. Harris
J. Elliott

D. Lawrence, R. Quinn, T. Hendrickson
R. Smith, B. Okereke, L. Wilson, J. Davis, D. Tranquil, B. Asamoah
J. Simmons, W. Harris

TheDogPound
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby TheDogPound » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:26 pm

Great post!

IMO opinion as long as Dez is in Dallas with Dak and that run first scheme, I have ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in him. I know that there has been a ton of talk surrounding him lacking the necessary separation need to get open, I am not buying that. I think that he is still an elite talent. I think that if he's with a Brady, Rodger, Brees, Luck, Stafford, or any other gun slinger or pass heavy qb he vast outperforms his current performance trends. (Just think of him with Romo - preinjury.)

AJG is my guy but hasn't been stellar this season. I'm not blaming him at all. I think in part it's Dalton and the OC in Cincinnati. I'd ride him for another season or two.

Julio, is the best of the trio. THis has been a bit of a disappointing sesason for him as well. 10-15 point games are duds for this guy. Once aging it's all ATL to blame. (Matt Ryan and the OC) I think Julio is an uber talent and I would gracefully ride him another season or two in fantasy.

Talent wise, I think that Julio is on a sphere of his own followed by AJG. Dez is talented however he ranks 3rd of the three.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:31 am

failblazer wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:28 pm
WelkerTexasRanger wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:03 am These guys all came into the league in 2010 or 2011 and are all around 28-29. All have been elite at some stage in their careers or are still elite now.
That's the important thing to me to clarify. Green and Julio are still elite. Aging but still elite. Dez is a WR2 now and a declining one.
Where are you valuing them
Green and Julio are guys that will be somewhere around thee back end of round one of a startup but guys I am hoping are taken ahead of me if I am sat there a 1.09 or 1.10. I would definitely take them if they fall to me but I am hoping someone takes them and someone like Hopkins drops to me instead.
what are you doing with them if you have them
If I have either Green or Julio I am holding unless I am in an absolute tear it down and start from the ground floor rebuild. In any other situation I think they are guys you hold for the next 2-3 years because they will still have elite production but their age will mean you will struggle to get trade value commensurate to that production. Plus, I don't think that the next generation of guys is really there are proven studs that you can package Green or Julio for to get younger. Any younger player comes with serious question marks.

Dez is very much in decline and in his case I am moving him unless I really need him to compete. If I can get one of those young receivers who I think will cement themselves at a true elite receiver then I'll roll the dice. Value wise he's a guy I'll take in the third round or maybe fourth and not feel great about.
are you looking to acquire them and how do you see them over the next 2-3 years
As stated above, Julio and Green will be guys who should, barring injury, maintain elite production in the next 2-3 years, so if I am a serious contender over the next few years then I will definitely try to acquire them. I think if I can get AJG for a picks and prospects then I definitely will. If he can help me go win a title or two then why not trade away the 50-50 shots and then maybe guys for locked in production? Obviously, I don't want to completely sell my future but both are guys I see having significant windows to produce, even though are will be labelled as "aging stars". They aren't running backs, they should very much be productive into their 30s.
This is the perfect response
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

TheDogPound
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby TheDogPound » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:07 am

Yea, I concur.

gopackgo
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gopackgo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:17 am

Someone offered me Julio for the 1.1 which I had a tough time turning down (I'm in decent shape at WR and need RBs). I might re-explore closer to the draft and see if he'll add something.
10 Team non-SF PPR
QB - FIELDS
RB - BIJAN Javonte DVaughn
RB - GIBBS JCook
RB/WR - JT
WR - LONDON Pittman QJ Elijah Nico Tank RWoods MWilson Palmer DParker McKenzie
WR - JSN Flowers Doubs Reed Gallup VJefferson Thornton TMarshall MHollins JLandry
WR/TE - RIDLEY
TE - McBRIDE Fant Otton Hill Schoonmaker Washington
'24 Picks: 1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,5,5
'25 Picks: 1,2,2,3,4,5

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:41 am

TheDogPound wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:26 pm IMO opinion as long as Dez is in Dallas with Dak and that run first scheme, I have ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in him.
There is a fallacy in here that keeps getting perpetuated on this forum for some reason. Dez's problems run back before Dak and this "run first" scheme. They started when Romo was still the QB. He hasn't been an elite level WR for several years now.

This discussion really needs to also involve DT.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

failblazer
All Pro
All Pro

Postby failblazer » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:49 pm

skip wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:41 am This discussion really needs to also involve DT.
I'd argue that this conversation shouldn't include Dez. To me, there are two conversations to be had here; Julio vs AJG and then Dez vs DT.
16 Team PPR (11th Year Dynasty - Former 2 Time Champion)
P. Mahomes, Z. Wilson
C. McCaffrey, N. Harris, C. Hubbard
D. Hopkins, A. Cooper, C. Kupp, D. Johnson, G. Davis, D. Mims, J. Palmer
D. Waller, C. Kmet, B. Jordan

C. Young, R. Quinn
D. Leonard, M. Milano, C. Mosely, B. Okereke, J. Davis
J. Simmons, J. Fuller

Picks - 1.01, 2.12, 3.01, 3.15, 4.14

16 Team PPR (10th Year Dynasty - Reigning 5 Time Champion)
A. Rodgers, J. Fields
C. McCaffrey, D. Henry, J. Dobbins, M. Davis
D. Hopkins, D. Adams, C. Kupp, M. Jones, M. Valdes-Scantling, A. Green, T. Johnson, Dy. Brown, G. Pickens, J. Tolbert,
N. Fant, A. Okwugbunam, J. Harris
J. Elliott

D. Lawrence, R. Quinn, T. Hendrickson
R. Smith, B. Okereke, L. Wilson, J. Davis, D. Tranquil, B. Asamoah
J. Simmons, W. Harris