How to handle TE position in a shallow league

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
nathanl
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

How to handle TE position in a shallow league

Postby nathanl » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:05 pm

This question relates more to team #1 below but is also a general question about very shallow leagues. For team 1, Reed had been my TE, obviously had to go other directions this year, and ended up with Njoku. However... OJ Howard got dropped (guy had Olsen and someone else, couldn't keep carrying 3 TEs). Would you drop any of my Team 1 players to pick him up? Tough part is, with 7 bench spots it's tough enough to carry 2 TE's let alone 3. So should I drop Njoku for Howard? I see that as close to a lateral move.

Adding to the complication is the fact that Reed (and Luck) have been sitting in my IR spots, but I have to clean up at least 2 roster spots in the off season anyway to clear out IR and make room for Nick Chubb (my devy player coming in). If I can't pull off a 2-for-1 trade I will likely drop Brieda and one other player.

In summary:
1. On that team, what two players would you drop, assuming I can't get a 2-for-1 deal done
2. Is Njoku or anyone else on that team worth dropping for Howard?
3. Is it worth it to even carry 2 TEs in that kind of situation? In a super shallow league? The one advantage is, it's easy enough to find one week rentals since everyone else has similar issues.

Any advice is appreciated.
Team 1: 10 tm full PPR, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 flex, 1 DST, 1 K, 7 bench, 3 IR
QB: Rodgers, Luck, Cousins
RB: Zeke, Hunt, Freeman, J Williams, Lynch, Breida
WR: AB, Hopkins, Evans, Cooper, C Davis
TE: Reed, Njoku

Team 2: 10 tm full PPR, 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 flex, 8 bench, 2 IR
QB: Prescott, Luck, Smith
RB: Gordon, Hunt, J Williams, Thompson, Lewis, Breida, Carson, Ekeler, Morris
WR: Hopkins, AJG, Hill, Cooper, M Lee
TE: Graham

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Re: How to handle TE position in a shallow league

Postby Goddard » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:55 pm

I'd drop Reed (not sure if you can since he's on your IR), Lynch, or Breida for Howard. Also, I'd talk to the commissioner and try to increase roster sizes. Howard was most likely taken in the 1st round of your rookie draft and an owner didn't have enough room to keep him...that shouldn't happen.

nathanl
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: How to handle TE position in a shallow league

Postby nathanl » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:11 pm

Believe me, I have lobbied to increase roster size but the rest of the league does not want to, and it has to go to league vote.

I thought about dropping Reed but he has good upside when healthy, and having the IR spot helps. Having trouble justifying using 2 of my 7 bench spots on TEs though. Guess I could also drop Brieda for Howard now, and try to trade one of them. That's an idea.
Team 1: 10 tm full PPR, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 flex, 1 DST, 1 K, 7 bench, 3 IR
QB: Rodgers, Luck, Cousins
RB: Zeke, Hunt, Freeman, J Williams, Lynch, Breida
WR: AB, Hopkins, Evans, Cooper, C Davis
TE: Reed, Njoku

Team 2: 10 tm full PPR, 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 flex, 8 bench, 2 IR
QB: Prescott, Luck, Smith
RB: Gordon, Hunt, J Williams, Thompson, Lewis, Breida, Carson, Ekeler, Morris
WR: Hopkins, AJG, Hill, Cooper, M Lee
TE: Graham