Ryan Shazier

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
BearlyBears
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Ryan Shazier

Postby BearlyBears » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:27 pm

For Team 1 in Sig -

Yeah, it's a little insensitive to think of fantasy value as he's in the hospital, but hey...

Trade deadline is tonight before kickoff. Magically found myself in the playoffs when I thought I was 99% sure of elimination. I wanna make the most of this.

Carr is my starting QB and he just hasn't put up the kinda numbers I need. Been offered McCown for Shazier. Shazier's been my highest scoring IDP (when healthy). Coincidentally I remarked to someone Monday morning - Shazier's due for a season-ending injury. And here we go.

So what are we assessing as the possibility of him A) coming back, B) coming back to the same form?

stephaniea44
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Ryan Shazier

Postby stephaniea44 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:57 pm

anybody know the answer?

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:14 pm

stephaniea44 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:57 pm anybody know the answer?
Of course no one knows the answer, dude just had back surgery today. Totally random guessing, 70% he plays again, 50% he returns to more of less his previous form which is a complete stud on the field but likely never play a full 16 games.

I think McCown is a fair trade if you need a QB for him.

npainter
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby npainter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:29 am

I think Shazier is closer to retirement then being a stud ever again. Make the trade.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:08 am

I have had Shazier on my team since he entered the league and feel terrible about this. I read that one of the doctors involved in his spinal stabilization surgery remarked that they are dealing with a much more severe situation than intially thought. Unfortunately, I think he likely will never play again.

BearlyBears
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby BearlyBears » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:23 pm

I did accept the trade. The other GM is a huge Steelers fan and knew the risks. I drafted Shazier, so it's really sad to see him go. He was a really fun player to watch. I doubt he'll play again considering how physical he played and the physicality of the linebacker position. I'm glad his injury wasn't worse. Maybe he'll make a good linebacker coach soon enough (it would be a beautiful irony if it ended up being for the Bengals).

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:35 pm

I’m hesitant to give a 50% he plays again let alone to form. That’s a serious injury with potentially serious outcomes. Even if he recovers, being paralyzed will scare anyone into second thoughts, and could change the way someone attacks on the field.

I’d sell for anything of value if able and take my chances. Sad but true. I hope he can live a normal life let alone play football...

OldTimer
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby OldTimer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:32 pm

I too drafted this man in one of my leagues. I do hope he gets well. I have watched the NFL long enough to remember most LBs being this guys size. Then everyone got bigger, and stronger, and now it seems to be reverting back to smaller and faster for some positions. When I drafted him, and picked up Telvin Smith in waivers, I saw Adrian Wilson (shameless Cardinals fan here) in both of them. Both had great 40 times and saw big SS clone of Wilson. Figured they'd both be converted. How Smith has stayed healthy is a mystery to me cause that man flies. So does Shazier. I'm not a big trader but have had Shazier on the bait list for two years and haven't even had one bite. Surprising b/c when he's on the field he is one bad man.