General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Re: Suggestions on how to structure my new dynasty startup

Postby hjernazian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:48 am

sloth8u wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:44 am
hjernazian wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:35 am

4. Intentional tanking is allowed. I am in a league where you can tank openly (currently) and I hate there being no consequence there. This makes sure guys like Zeeke are not left on the bench.
huh??? your in a league that allows tanking, has taxi, and you want to regulate who is "taxi" worthy?
My current league there is no taxi or devy. My current dynasty league is salary based with a hard cap and has a rookie draft.
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

QB: P. Mahomes $5, C. Newton $20, B. Mayfield $2, D. Brees
RB: D. Johnson $54, N. Chubb $4, T. Coleman $4, D. Henry $14, I. Crowell $3, J. Richard $9, J. Adams $3
WR: A. Robinson $41, T.Y. Hilton $24, J. Landry $25, C. Davis $4, C. Godwin $4, D. Hamilton $3, K. Cole, S. Shephard $10
TE: E. Engram $4, D. Njoku $2, K. Rudolph $3, V. McDonald $4
K/DEF: Irrelevant

2019: 2.04, 2.05, 2.06, 3.06, 4.06

Team 2

Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE - 25 man roster + 4 TAXI

QB: T. Brady, M. Ryan, N. Foles
RB: K. Hunt, C. McCaffrey, D. Johnson, T. Coleman, S. Ware, D. Williams, Ito Smith, D. Sproles
WR: AJ Green, A. Robinson, A. Thielen, E. Sanders, G. Tate, S. Roberts
TE: J. Reed, J. Butt, M. Roberts, V. Davis, M. Williams
TAXI: S. Darnold, D. Fountain, D. Cain, Jaleel Scott

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:58 am

we are not discussing your current league. we are discussing your proposed start up.....for you and your family/friends.

hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Postby hjernazian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:42 am

sloth8u wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:58 am we are not discussing your current league. we are discussing your proposed start up.....for you and your family/friends.
i see that i'm not fully understanding what information you're requesting though, and/or what point you are making? I am attempting to understand what your point is, does my structure not sound OK?
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

RB: D. Johnson $54, N. Chubb $4, T. Coleman $4, D. Henry $14, I. Crowell $3, J. Richard $9, J. Adams $3
WR: A. Robinson $41, T.Y. Hilton $24, J. Landry $25, C. Davis $4, C. Godwin $4, D. Hamilton $3, K. Cole, S. Shephard $10

Team 2

RB: K. Hunt, C. McCaffrey, D. Johnson, T. Coleman, S. Ware, D. Williams, Ito Smith, D. Sproles

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:53 am

if i understand you correctly....noone has dynasty league experience and you are trying to start a local league??? you need to hash out all the details....but your proposal is very complex for a newbie league. for example....every team should have 12 to 15 relevant players to succeed...your roster proposal is 35 i think.......thats alot of "extra" for newibies to deal with. of course i understand owning all relevant, but at some point...it would be better for players 25-35 on roster A to be on roster B......its just the nature of the game. you do not want the same few teams being good and having the best picks...year after year. or maybe you do, but in that case....you have a bunch of dumbasses in your league.

hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Postby hjernazian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:56 am

sloth8u wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:47 pm
hjernazian wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:10 am Hello All, I've been playing fantasy for nearly 9 years ago, Dynasty for only two, and I frankly get enough of it. I have almost a full group of 10 close people with experience that are interested, but I wanted to get some feedback on the structure.

Here's what I'm thinking

Superflex with QB
1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 2 Flex K DEF
Taxi Squad of 5 (3 draft eligible Devy - 2 current players) - in any week, another owner can make a bid for a taxi player, but the original owner is given an opportunity to match or let go. Can have a seperate budget for bids on taxi players.
Roster size: 30 players + Taxi
10 Man, 1.0 point PPR, 1.5 PPR for TE
Penalties for intentional tanking - anytime you sit a player that scores in the top 20 for the week, their total gets added to your weekly.
Auction Draft but no salaries (salary of 200 for each team to draft a full 30 man roster)
Waivers for FA's, generated randomly and adjust accordingly after week 1
Rookie Draft includes current NFL FA's
... not sure about IDP? Recc's?
3 year mandatory commitment (haven't had issues with that in my current dynasty league)

Any recommendations on any of this? Anything you would do differently from knowledge or experience? How should I break down and handle the taxi-devy spots and draft? I am looking for something that adds a new variable, hence, the taxi squad, no salaries and superflex.

would also love to hear of some whacky ideas that have boded well for others in the past.

thanks in advance.
dynasty leagues are great...you wont find an arguement here. just some opinions on what you have going on.

-i think its very important to structure your league in a way thats going to work for all 10 members. you dont want 3 guys playing all year, and 7 having an offseason or vice versa. everyone on the same page in terms of activity is key for successful leagues. im sure everyone will commit to the league at 1st, and be thrilled to be in it....but inevitably, owners have to "make time" to play aswell. it has to be a bit of a hobby....not just a set your lineup during football season type of thing. if you sense that it would be better for you AND YOUR LEAGUEMATES to just be active during the actual nfl season....do so! there is nothing wrong with that. you can still have an awesome league if the league is played on the calendar exactly as redraft....in fact, holding a LIVE 5 rd rookie draft, in which picks are on the clock for 5 mins for the 1st 2 rds, and 2 mins every rd after....ensures that you can get together, spend a few hours hanging out talking ff right before the season...just as any redraft league would. dynasty leagues do not have to be played year around, i would keep that in mind.

Absolutely. This was my plan as well. I love the LIVE draft process and this league will be done so in that way.

if you know these guys personally...you can get together and discuss this. i would, to be sure that everyone knows whats going on. do your other members know of this site? part of "not being able to get enough of it", is being here. lol....but its no joke, you kicking everyone's bleep for the first few years and potentially longer isnt going to be fun for everyone and especially so when teams are depleted in a 10 teamer with the format that you have above. guys will either quit or give up, and eventually.....well, you know where this is going...the league folds, or you come here to the "help wanted".

Yes, totally agreed. But although I know these guys personally, many have been playing fantasy with myself since our college days. The experience level is very high. This is why I want to challenge everyone, not just myself to a new level. This was only my second year doing dynasty, and I've never done devy before. Some do know about this site, others use different ones. I was referred here by one of my league mates.

-its a whole new discussion if you end up having to come here for replacement owners....but for you and your buddies......your format is way to complex. you have k, and def....roster 30, 5 taxi, devy, tiered ppr, superflex, you bid..yet no contracts, you bid for the players that you own in a start up..yet dont have bb on free agents?...you get the idea here. this is way to complex for 10 newbies.

By complex do you mean by experience level of the members? or does my format contradict itself? Personally, my current dynasty league has salaries, and I don't like it. Because dynasty was new to a lot of us last year, many players overbid on guys (myself included) causing guys like OBJ and Hopkins to be virtually unaffordable, forcing some lopsided trades. I don't like a randomly generated draft, so was thinking can you auction to allow people to budget and rank players according to their budget. In my proposed format, they would be under contract and owned essentially forever, but a high salary would not equate to a player losing or gaining value. Guys like Jordy Nelson are currently rock bottom in value, while guys like Njoku or James White are revealed for their cheap contract.

id keep it simple......start 10 or 11 guys. 1 at each position with a superflex... with no dst and k.....basically go get the best guys you can so that everyone that produces carries value in a 10 man league that keeps 30. id eliminate your taxi and devy, add it later if the league can handle it.

I like this idea a lot. Force guys to essentially start 1 at each position for RB WR TE and QB (4 total) and let them fill as they wish the rest of the spots? with one super flex? Also - I really like the idea of taxi - I know it complicates things but all of us have essentially played in leagues where all other variables have been exhausted, I feel this can add a new challenging component. What do you think?

i personally like 1 at every position...and 7 flex for 11 starters. tier the scoring how you'd like. owners will adjust.

i know that you were looking for something to make the league unique. perhaps the tiered scoring and flexible rosters will be enough to excite your audience. taxi, taxi stealing, devy, large rosters....are already enough to navigate in experienced leagues....i would not push that on all newbies and expect it to be successful long term.

I see your point even more clearly now - I like it. What if a guy loades up on WR's and TE's though and completely overlooks RB? wouldn't that create very lopsided teams in that positions will be less valued and > overall skill of players?

id also caution against large rosters like this with all newbies in a 10 man league.... you may want there to be available assets on the wire. if tommy, gary, and johny own everything.....how much fun is it for everyone else?...and again...your suggesting no re-do's when we talk dynasty. 1 move can cripple or make a team. what happens when 1 owner decides to trade his 3 best players in 2 days to rebuild and it makes things real ugly.....large rosters = unavailable talent, plain and simple. id think 25 would be very generous with what your looking for.

25 is good number, I agree and see your point, I will def incorporate this, esp if I elect not to go taxi

-i do think that you need to address how roster size will be handled during drafts and in the offseason. this is something that i would like to see corrected throughout the dynasty community. there should be a standard. i see it handled so many different ways....

best wishes with the league. i introduced the idea to 13 other of my redraft buddies and ultimately decided against it. perhaps it was because i wasnt the commish, but i offered to help him/them all along the way, set it up, and manage anything they needed help with if everyone wanted to play. i even offered to buy a keg for the startup on a memorial day weekend!.....but when 5 guys said "hell yeah", and the rest said they didnt really care...i squashed the idea of the dynasty league, kept playing our redraft, and still held the party on sunday nite :bigsmile: i crack up every year at our draft when everyone talks about what could have been had they been able to keep ............but dynasty is not for everyone.

Thank you for your kind words and constructive feedback. I see your point. However, like I said redraft is boring all of us. We've all been in several (with one guy I've been in 8 leagues before) and A LOT are asking to move to dynasty. I want to keep it fun, but I also want it to be challenging, as many of us are high functioning professionals and get off on a good challenge. Aside from fantasy, most of us are good friends, so it just adds something new and diff to talk about.

if you want to start a league with your buddies.....keep it fun and competitive for everyone. use potential point to determine draft position, and there is no reason for a taxi. its nothing but a stash spot for those who wish to leave productive players there.i would like to see a taxi squad where the only requirement is that you have to have been in the league 4 years or more and not scored 400 fantasy pts to be placed there. that would take care of your tanking issue. another way to handle it, is to make it all 1 division. that way everybody is against everybody. if you run into a situation where its a fight to be "who sucks" let them fight it out together. 1 division allows the cream to rise to the top and the deadbeats to play their games at the bottom.

I was assuming to go 1 division as well, great point. Thank you for the honest and helpful feedback, I also like your idea of making it harder to tank. I like that idea for the taxi as well, my general concern is the trend I am noticing in my current dynasty league: $1-4 rookie players and draft picks are GROSSLY overvalued IMO. Just last season I saw a trade for 1.02 FOR Amari Cooper, D. Hopkins, Kelce and a second... only because players involved were priced between $21-50 dollars. I don't think talent should necessarily be overlooked for a "cheap" player to get under the cap, it can really doom a league if a bad decision is made. In this instance, the team with the 2nd pick ended up with CM and his team is in pieces because of the holes left by Cooper Hopkins and Kelce. Now he has a ton of cap space but not much to offer for studs.
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

Team 2

hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Postby hjernazian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:05 am

sloth8u wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:53 am if i understand you correctly....noone has dynasty league experience and you are trying to start a local league??? you need to hash out all the details....but your proposal is very complex for a newbie league. for example....every team should have 12 to 15 relevant players to succeed...your roster proposal is 35 i think.......thats alot of "extra" for newibies to deal with. of course i understand owning all relevant, but at some point...it would be better for players 25-35 on roster A to be on roster B......its just the nature of the game. you do not want the same few teams being good and having the best picks...year after year. or maybe you do, but in that case....you have a bunch of dumbasses in your league.
Now I get it. Thank you. To clarify - MOST have dynasty experience, just not a ton of it. Most if not all have played in IDP, 2 QB, 1.5 PPR TE, Superflex leagues. Just the experience is not as extensive as some of the members of this forum. So, what I am trying to do is strike a balance between something that is too boring and easy for most of us, and something that is incredibly complicated and difficult. There are really no dumbasses, two of the guys (although recently getting into dynasty) are contributors to other fantasy websites, others are high achieving professionals - generally competitive and intelligent by nature - most have been playing at near or over a decade, so I trust the core and the members in the league. We don't have a "Taco" or a "Ruckson". I just don't want to let anyone down and make it boring where people tap out after a few years. This is my main fear over attrition. I don't run the same risk as most of having members leave, because most of us are also very close friends and will never let it be forgotten upon meeting in social functioning. Lastly, this is a high stakes league with a significant amount of money at play - and just based on financial incentive, people will learn very quickly in what they are lacking. Personally, I've never done Devy and am terrified... but all I am doing now is reading and listening and researching, which is up my alley professionally and personally.

With that said, some direct suggestion would be wonderful. Given my recommendation, what do you propose my structure looks like in a few areas? Again - strike that balance between impossible and boring for your above average fantasy enthusiast.
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

Team 2

hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Postby hjernazian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:08 am

SteelLake wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:58 am Looks good.

2, stupid, minor recommendations.

- I'd give more than $200 for auction. I don't know, seems like its hard to budget $200 for 30 guys. Just my take

- I'd make some stupid competition for first waiver order. I've done similar things before and always like it (March Madness bracket, or even just picking score of SB or something). It adds some fun, and it seems like every year there's 1 waiver guy that everyone wants after a startup draft
Love the ideas, thanks, but ?: Isn't the dollar amount simply relative? Weather you have 200 dollars or 2000 you are going to budget it the same way if there are no salaries.

And I absolutely love the idea of making it a non-league related competition for the claims. It's perfect. I've done it before in a redraft league in the form of a scavenger hunt (was in college and a frat at the time - had the pledges do all the work) and it was very memorable.
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

Team 2

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:32 am

hjernazian wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:08 am
SteelLake wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:58 am
- I'd give more than $200 for auction. I don't know, seems like its hard to budget $200 for 30 guys. Just my take
Love the ideas, thanks, but ?: Isn't the dollar amount simply relative? Weather you have 200 dollars or 2000 you are going to budget it the same way if there are no salaries.
Assuming you go "studs and duds", in a league with 30 roster spots and $200 you can spend $175 on your top 5 guys, vs $1975/2000. This is around 10% higher prices for the studs. Basically it makes your kicker cost a dime instead of a dolllar. But be aware that it might slow the auction, if people go back and forth in $1 increments it can take a while to get to $600.

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:15 pm

hjernazian wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:36 am
ArrylT wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:38 am Basically any owner who benched Kareem Hunt in Week I would have been penalized no?
Yes, exactly.
So when Joe Schmo goes off on your bench your penalized because he scored more than Dez? That's a stupid rule
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:54 pm

pierson242 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:15 pm
ArrylT wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:38 am Basically any owner who benched Kareem Hunt in Week I would have been penalized no?
Yes, exactly.
So when Joe Schmo goes off on your bench your penalized because he scored more than Dez? That's a stupid rule
It's only a penalty if you were trying to lose. It's not any worse than going by possible points, though it is rather arbitrary.

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:58 am

Tsunami wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:54 pm
pierson242 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Yes, exactly.
It's only a penalty if you were trying to lose. It's not any worse than going by possible points, though it is rather arbitrary.
I guess it essentially just makes it a best ball league
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF