Suggestions on how to structure my new dynasty startup

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Suggestions on how to structure my new dynasty startup

Postby hjernazian » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:10 am

Hello All, I've been playing fantasy for nearly 9 years ago, Dynasty for only two, and I frankly get enough of it. I have almost a full group of 10 close people with experience that are interested, but I wanted to get some feedback on the structure.

Here's what I'm thinking

Superflex with QB
1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 2 Flex K DEF
Taxi Squad of 5 (3 draft eligible Devy - 2 current players) - in any week, another owner can make a bid for a taxi player, but the original owner is given an opportunity to match or let go. Can have a seperate budget for bids on taxi players.
Roster size: 30 players + Taxi
10 Man, 1.0 point PPR, 1.5 PPR for TE
Penalties for intentional tanking - anytime you sit a player that scores in the top 20 for the week, their total gets added to your weekly.
Auction Draft but no salaries (salary of 200 for each team to draft a full 30 man roster)
Waivers for FA's, generated randomly and adjust accordingly after week 1
Rookie Draft includes current NFL FA's
... not sure about IDP? Recc's?
3 year mandatory commitment (haven't had issues with that in my current dynasty league)

Any recommendations on any of this? Anything you would do differently from knowledge or experience? How should I break down and handle the taxi-devy spots and draft? I am looking for something that adds a new variable, hence, the taxi squad, no salaries and superflex.

would also love to hear of some whacky ideas that have boded well for others in the past.

thanks in advance.
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

QB: P. Mahomes $5, C. Newton $20, B. Mayfield $2, D. Brees
RB: D. Johnson $54, N. Chubb $4, T. Coleman $4, D. Henry $14, I. Crowell $3, J. Richard $9, J. Adams $3
WR: A. Robinson $41, T.Y. Hilton $24, J. Landry $25, C. Davis $4, C. Godwin $4, D. Hamilton $3, K. Cole, S. Shephard $10
TE: E. Engram $4, D. Njoku $2, K. Rudolph $3, V. McDonald $4
K/DEF: Irrelevant

2019: 2.04, 2.05, 2.06, 3.06, 4.06

Team 2

Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE - 25 man roster + 4 TAXI

QB: T. Brady, M. Ryan, N. Foles
RB: K. Hunt, C. McCaffrey, D. Johnson, T. Coleman, S. Ware, D. Williams, Ito Smith, D. Sproles
WR: AJ Green, A. Robinson, A. Thielen, E. Sanders, G. Tate, S. Roberts
TE: J. Reed, J. Butt, M. Roberts, V. Davis, M. Williams
TAXI: S. Darnold, D. Fountain, D. Cain, Jaleel Scott

SteelLake
Starter
Starter

Re: Suggestions on how to structure my new dynasty startup

Postby SteelLake » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:58 am

Looks good.

2, stupid, minor recommendations.

- I'd give more than $200 for auction. I don't know, seems like its hard to budget $200 for 30 guys. Just my take

- I'd make some stupid competition for first waiver order. I've done similar things before and always like it (March Madness bracket, or even just picking score of SB or something). It adds some fun, and it seems like every year there's 1 waiver guy that everyone wants after a startup draft
Drew Christopher Brees Football Squad
Dynasty League (10 team)
2013-Present (11 years)
2017, 2022 Champion
8 playoff appearances
Record: 95-61

Keenan Alexander Allen Football Squad
Contract League (12 teams)
2015-Present (8 years)
2022, 2023 Champion
8 Playoff appearances
Record: 84-42

Dar's Outcasts
Redraft league (8-10 teams)
2020- Present (4 years)
2023 Champion
4 Playoff appearances
Record: 41-16

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:10 am

No dedicated TE spot? I'd rather play with tight ends than kickers. (That's not a euphamism).

No IR spots? It's okay with a roster of 30 but still rather annoying when a large part of your roster is injured.

You list two flex spots, is one of those for QBs? If so I would add another flex spot, in a small league there will be plenty of depth.

The penalty for intentional tanking in a weird way makes it sound like intentional tanking is allowed, if you can get away with it. Hopefully you can word this better to sound otherwise.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:38 am

Basically any owner who benched Kareem Hunt in Week I would have been penalized no?
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:46 am

Yeah the adding of scoring of top 20 scoring players is off. Forget about the tankers...imagine if competitors start using this to their advantage. Say I have a no-name bench guy go off for some 20 points or something...and I am losing my matchup by 10 points (and I am intending to win the matchup). I want to have that player’s score added to my total so I can win that matchup and would try to misuse that rule to gain an unfair advantage.

I understand that the rule is there for tanking...but it would be tough for you to enforce for one team (an actual tanker) but not another (a competitor).

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:32 pm

hjernazian wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:10 am Penalties for intentional tanking - anytime you sit a player that scores in the top 20 for the week, their total gets added to your weekly.
I understand wanting to have some kind of a rule in place but this is crazy talk. Deonte Thompson and Terrance Williams both had 20+ point weeks in week 9. Allen Hurns had 20 in week 2. Sterling Shepard had 20+ in weeks 3 and 10. These are just a few examples of guys who no doubt were top 20 at their positions on those weeks. On any "normal" week, none of these guys should be starters and you want to penalize their owners for not having the foresight to start them? Josh McCown is currently 13th in points for the season, ahead of guys like Rivers, Ryan, Mariota, Carr...no doubt he's performed top 20 at least a few times but aside from a bye week I doubt anyone is putting him in their lineup.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Piling on the intentional tanking rule.

If the idea is to prevent tanking, just make the following rookie draft ordered by Potential Points. It basically removes tanking entirely. I use it in all my leagues and nobody accuses anyone else of tanking. The only way to tank would be to trade away valuable assets for draft picks, and that's how people rebuild anyway.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:05 pm

I am in the league that is super flex
Start
1RB
1Wr
1Te
5 W/R/T/flex

I really feel this is the best format, it gives you so much freedom to build your team exactly how you want. It also kind of rewards depth more that elite players. Some weeks you'll see guys start 3 TEs. I'm very glad to not deal with defense and kicker, I'd much rather start 2 more position players.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:06 pm

I don't like that intentional tanking rule either. But I do have a variation just in case owners slip up and leave in bye week players:

If you have a player on bye in your lineup, we will count the highest scoring player from that position who's on your bench and apply it to your "virtual score". If it's a position like a kicker or a QB where you don't have any players on the bench, we'll take the points from the highest scoring free agent that week whom you could've picked up and played. Those points will add to your "virtual score"

If your "virtual score" would've gotten you the win, then that "virtual win" will be added to your draft slot positioning. As will the virtual points that you could've scored.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:04 pm

Tsunami wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:10 am No dedicated TE spot? I'd rather play with tight ends than kickers. (That's not a euphamism).
You are #winning the entire internet :lol:
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:47 pm

hjernazian wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:10 am Hello All, I've been playing fantasy for nearly 9 years ago, Dynasty for only two, and I frankly get enough of it. I have almost a full group of 10 close people with experience that are interested, but I wanted to get some feedback on the structure.

Here's what I'm thinking

Superflex with QB
1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 2 Flex K DEF
Taxi Squad of 5 (3 draft eligible Devy - 2 current players) - in any week, another owner can make a bid for a taxi player, but the original owner is given an opportunity to match or let go. Can have a seperate budget for bids on taxi players.
Roster size: 30 players + Taxi
10 Man, 1.0 point PPR, 1.5 PPR for TE
Penalties for intentional tanking - anytime you sit a player that scores in the top 20 for the week, their total gets added to your weekly.
Auction Draft but no salaries (salary of 200 for each team to draft a full 30 man roster)
Waivers for FA's, generated randomly and adjust accordingly after week 1
Rookie Draft includes current NFL FA's
... not sure about IDP? Recc's?
3 year mandatory commitment (haven't had issues with that in my current dynasty league)

Any recommendations on any of this? Anything you would do differently from knowledge or experience? How should I break down and handle the taxi-devy spots and draft? I am looking for something that adds a new variable, hence, the taxi squad, no salaries and superflex.

would also love to hear of some whacky ideas that have boded well for others in the past.

thanks in advance.
dynasty leagues are great...you wont find an arguement here. just some opinions on what you have going on.

-i think its very important to structure your league in a way thats going to work for all 10 members. you dont want 3 guys playing all year, and 7 having an offseason or vice versa. everyone on the same page in terms of activity is key for successful leagues. im sure everyone will commit to the league at 1st, and be thrilled to be in it....but inevitably, owners have to "make time" to play aswell. it has to be a bit of a hobby....not just a set your lineup during football season type of thing. if you sense that it would be better for you AND YOUR LEAGUEMATES to just be active during the actual nfl season....do so! there is nothing wrong with that. you can still have an awesome league if the league is played on the calendar exactly as redraft....in fact, holding a LIVE 5 rd rookie draft, in which picks are on the clock for 5 mins for the 1st 2 rds, and 2 mins every rd after....ensures that you can get together, spend a few hours hanging out talking ff right before the season...just as any redraft league would. dynasty leagues do not have to be played year around, i would keep that in mind.

if you know these guys personally...you can get together and discuss this. i would, to be sure that everyone knows whats going on. do your other members know of this site? part of "not being able to get enough of it", is being here. lol....but its no joke, you kicking everyone's bleep for the first few years and potentially longer isnt going to be fun for everyone and especially so when teams are depleted in a 10 teamer with the format that you have above. guys will either quit or give up, and eventually.....well, you know where this is going...the league folds, or you come here to the "help wanted".

-its a whole new discussion if you end up having to come here for replacement owners....but for you and your buddies......your format is way to complex. you have k, and def....roster 30, 5 taxi, devy, tiered ppr, superflex, you bid..yet no contracts, you bid for the players that you own in a start up..yet dont have bb on free agents?...you get the idea here. this is way to complex for 10 newbies.

id keep it simple......start 10 or 11 guys. 1 at each position with a superflex... with no dst and k.....basically go get the best guys you can so that everyone that produces carries value in a 10 man league that keeps 30. id eliminate your taxi and devy, add it later if the league can handle it.

i personally like 1 at every position...and 7 flex for 11 starters. tier the scoring how you'd like. owners will adjust.

i know that you were looking for something to make the league unique. perhaps the tiered scoring and flexible rosters will be enough to excite your audience. taxi, taxi stealing, devy, large rosters....are already enough to navigate in experienced leagues....i would not push that on all newbies and expect it to be successful long term.

id also caution against large rosters like this with all newbies in a 10 man league.... you may want there to be available assets on the wire. if tommy, gary, and johny own everything.....how much fun is it for everyone else?...and again...your suggesting no re-do's when we talk dynasty. 1 move can cripple or make a team. what happens when 1 owner decides to trade his 3 best players in 2 days to rebuild and it makes things real ugly.....large rosters = unavailable talent, plain and simple. id think 25 would be very generous with what your looking for.

-i do think that you need to address how roster size will be handled during drafts and in the offseason. this is something that i would like to see corrected throughout the dynasty community. there should be a standard. i see it handled so many different ways....

best wishes with the league. i introduced the idea to 13 other of my redraft buddies and ultimately decided against it. perhaps it was because i wasnt the commish, but i offered to help him/them all along the way, set it up, and manage anything they needed help with if everyone wanted to play. i even offered to buy a keg for the startup on a memorial day weekend!.....but when 5 guys said "hell yeah", and the rest said they didnt really care...i squashed the idea of the dynasty league, kept playing our redraft, and still held the party on sunday nite :bigsmile: i crack up every year at our draft when everyone talks about what could have been had they been able to keep ............but dynasty is not for everyone.

if you want to start a league with your buddies.....keep it fun and competitive for everyone. use potential point to determine draft position, and there is no reason for a taxi. its nothing but a stash spot for those who wish to leave productive players there.i would like to see a taxi squad where the only requirement is that you have to have been in the league 4 years or more and not scored 400 fantasy pts to be placed there. that would take care of your tanking issue. another way to handle it, is to make it all 1 division. that way everybody is against everybody. if you run into a situation where its a fight to be "who sucks" let them fight it out together. 1 division allows the cream to rise to the top and the deadbeats to play their games at the bottom.

hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Postby hjernazian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:35 am

Tsunami wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:10 am No dedicated TE spot? I'd rather play with tight ends than kickers. (That's not a euphamism).

No IR spots? It's okay with a roster of 30 but still rather annoying when a large part of your roster is injured.

You list two flex spots, is one of those for QBs? If so I would add another flex spot, in a small league there will be plenty of depth.

The penalty for intentional tanking in a weird way makes it sound like intentional tanking is allowed, if you can get away with it. Hopefully you can word this better to sound otherwise.
Sorry, missed a few points there, that's why I'm glad I posted.

1. Yes, dedicated TE spot

2. 2 IR spots

3. one of the two flex spots CAN be for a QB, but doesn't have to be.

4. Intentional tanking is allowed. I am in a league where you can tank openly (currently) and I hate there being no consequence there. This makes sure guys like Zeeke are not left on the bench.
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

RB: D. Johnson $54, N. Chubb $4, T. Coleman $4, D. Henry $14, I. Crowell $3, J. Richard $9, J. Adams $3
WR: A. Robinson $41, T.Y. Hilton $24, J. Landry $25, C. Davis $4, C. Godwin $4, D. Hamilton $3, K. Cole, S. Shephard $10

Team 2

RB: K. Hunt, C. McCaffrey, D. Johnson, T. Coleman, S. Ware, D. Williams, Ito Smith, D. Sproles

hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Postby hjernazian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:36 am

ArrylT wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:38 am Basically any owner who benched Kareem Hunt in Week I would have been penalized no?
Yes, exactly.
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

Team 2

hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Postby hjernazian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:37 am

slaughterrt wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:46 am Yeah the adding of scoring of top 20 scoring players is off. Forget about the tankers...imagine if competitors start using this to their advantage. Say I have a no-name bench guy go off for some 20 points or something...and I am losing my matchup by 10 points (and I am intending to win the matchup). I want to have that player’s score added to my total so I can win that matchup and would try to misuse that rule to gain an unfair advantage.

I understand that the rule is there for tanking...but it would be tough for you to enforce for one team (an actual tanker) but not another (a competitor).
I hadn't thought about that. Very much appreciated. How do you suggest I make it more difficult for people to intentionally tank?
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

Team 2

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:44 am

hjernazian wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:35 am

4. Intentional tanking is allowed. I am in a league where you can tank openly (currently) and I hate there being no consequence there. This makes sure guys like Zeeke are not left on the bench.
huh??? your in a league that allows tanking, has taxi, and you want to regulate who is "taxi" worthy?