Is Landry a Sell high ?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
abecksta
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Jarvis Landry - Should You Care?

Postby abecksta » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:40 am

Think of Landry like an elite RB with a bad QB. Hard to be ultraproductive when every defense you play knows you are getting the ball more often than not. Kenny Stills and Parker are OK but I think it is clear teams would rather take their chances against them downfield rather than let Jarvis catch the ball short and get YAC for first downs all day long. Too easy for Jarvis to move the chains if you don't keep a close eye on him.

NE or NO as offenses that spread the ball around well would probably be ideal places for Jarvis from a productivity stand point but neither are likely. I think him in Carolina would be pretty interesting and he would be a superstar in Seattle, maybe not the best for PPR but I guarantee his depth per target would change dramatically with a QB who can extend plays. But if he goes to a bad team just expect more of the same. 80-100 catches for about 1,000 yards.

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:08 pm

abecksta wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:40 am Think of Landry like an elite RB with a bad QB. Hard to be ultraproductive when every defense you play knows you are getting the ball more often than not. Kenny Stills and Parker are OK but I think it is clear teams would rather take their chances against them downfield rather than let Jarvis catch the ball short and get YAC for first downs all day long. Too easy for Jarvis to move the chains if you don't keep a close eye on him.

NE or NO as offenses that spread the ball around well would probably be ideal places for Jarvis from a productivity stand point but neither are likely. I think him in Carolina would be pretty interesting and he would be a superstar in Seattle, maybe not the best for PPR but I guarantee his depth per target would change dramatically with a QB who can extend plays. But if he goes to a bad team just expect more of the same. 80-100 catches for about 1,000 yards.
Except that it won't because it's something that he's been historically bad at.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:14 pm

Ghosted wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:08 pm
abecksta wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:40 am Think of Landry like an elite RB with a bad QB. Hard to be ultraproductive when every defense you play knows you are getting the ball more often than not. Kenny Stills and Parker are OK but I think it is clear teams would rather take their chances against them downfield rather than let Jarvis catch the ball short and get YAC for first downs all day long. Too easy for Jarvis to move the chains if you don't keep a close eye on him.

We've yet to see him with an above average QB.

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:34 pm

Goddard wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:14 pm
Ghosted wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:08 pm

We've yet to see him with an above average QB.
A new QB won't make him better at what he's bad at for the most part. An "above average" QB will also want him to be in position where he gets open. Landry doesn't do that with intermediate or deep routes; doesn't matter who his QB is. Parker and Stills are playing with the same QB, and are both better than Landry in those areas. A new situation won't lead to a tiger changing his stripes.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:06 pm

Am I the only one noticing that the entire focus by the anti-Landry crowd is focusing on numbers only from 2017 with Jay Cutler at QB?

Ghosted mentioned a good comp in Golden Tate. Another one is Keenan Allen, which I find particularly amusing given that the majority on this forum would refer to Allen as a "stud" or "elite". Landry is the guy you want as a #2. It's a bit disingenuous to think that his ypc is going to be as low as it is this season regardless of where he ends up.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:12 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:22 pm He’s not even projected to get to 1,000 yards on the season and people are defending him bc all he does is produce? In what world does that make any sense.
:wall:

Unreal. It just doesn't seem to stop with you does it? Frustrating. :crazy:
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:13 pm

I am glad threw out the name Keenan Allen who is basically a Landry clone from a production stand point.

Also - pretty silly for many people to say Landry cannot do something when there is literally no evidence to suggest he can or cannot. He has not had the chance.

I do not own Landry anywhere but I believe he will hugely benefit from getting out of Miami.

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:17 pm

Phaded wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:13 pm I am glad threw out the name Keenan Allen who is basically a Landry clone from a production stand point.

Also - pretty silly for many people to say Landry cannot do something when there is literally no evidence to suggest he can or cannot. He has not had the chance.

I do not own Landry anywhere but I believe he will hugely benefit from getting out of Miami.
I'm kind of confused by this. There's 3 1/2 years worth of data to paint a picture of what he is good and not good at.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:20 pm

I'll just say this. Not all football related attributes are quantifiable. Much of Landry's game is derived from GRIT and .... as far as I know, GRIT translates to any system. NFL coaches know this. If you watch him play rather than look at box scores of targets, YPR, etc, you'd know and realize that he has game. At minimum, he is a mid level wr2 with upside regardless of landing spot. My gut tells me he isn't going anywhere anyway but.... yeah, its fun to speculate and to discuss. Bottom line - The kid is a gamer and - tough and..... lets remind ourselves that Landry was the best wr at LSU while OBJ and he were teammates. He isn't just some JAG.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:23 pm

Ghosted wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:17 pm
Phaded wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:13 pm I am glad threw out the name Keenan Allen who is basically a Landry clone from a production stand point.

I'm kind of confused by this. There's 3 1/2 years worth of data to paint a picture of what he is good and not good at.
Not if he has been misused and not given the opportunity .

It's not like Miami has had any good coaches during this time.

It is completely fathomable that he was typecast and thus not put in a position to succeed. Much like Alex Smith and his "game manager" label for example.

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:28 pm

I feel like I'm being championed as heading the anti-Landry movement, when I'm not anti-Landry at all. But 1) You can actually watch the games AND use analytics. They aren't mutually exclusive. And 2) I think analytics will paint a much more accurate picture on system-transition than "grit."

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:31 pm

Phaded wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:23 pm
Ghosted wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:17 pm

Not if he has been misused and not given the opportunity .

It's not like Miami has had any good coaches during this time.

It is completely fathomable that he was typecast and thus not put in a position to succeed. Much like Alex Smith and his "game manager" label for example.
But he hasn't succeeded in that role, though. I mentioned it more in-depth in another post, but he's been wildly below league average when put in those positions.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:35 pm

JFever wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:12 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:22 pm He’s not even projected to get to 1,000 yards on the season and people are defending him bc all he does is produce? In what world does that make any sense.
:wall:

Unreal. It just doesn't seem to stop with you does it? Frustrating. :crazy:
DeVante Parker averages ~50 yards/game and he's a bust. Jarvis Landry averages ~50 yards/game on roughly twice as many targets and "all he does is produce." Just pointing out the blatant hypocrisy is all.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:53 pm

Ghosted, where are you finding the stats on efficiency based on depth of target? I would be interested in looking at those.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:59 pm

The bottom line - Landry has led the team in receiving yards the last two years and is doing so again; given his numbers are on pace to be lower than they have been.

Landry is one of those cases where his owners know they have an undervalued producer whereas those that do not are quick to point out the "flaws".

Many players are polarizing and there are arguments to be had on both sides. With that said, this community has Landry ranked around the low end WR2 ranks despite him finishing at worst as a high end WR2. You will not be able to pay low end WR2 prices for him, bottom line.

There are some people here saying he is overvalued which I do not understand. Most players that many are high on is because they project improvement, but Landry is one of those players that already has the projected decline baked into his consensus cost.