GOAT

Jarvis Landry - Should You Care?

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:10 am

This season, Landry is on pace for:

171 targets
108 receptions
839 yards
9 touchdowns

Keep in mind that all WR's are volume dependent to some degree. However, Landry is having one of the most volume-dependent seasons in a long time for a WR. Since 1992, no WR has ever received 150 or more targets and not finished with at least 1,200 receiving yards.

But, should you care?

This isn't to say that Landry is a bad football player. His reliance on short/underneath routes could be a gameplan that's rolled over through regimes in Miami. But, with Miami widely expected to leave Miami, are you confident that he'll be more than an underneath slot receiver going forward? Is he capable of being more of a big play WR? Or is Landry strictly the volume-based "high percentage" route receiver that he's been in Miami?

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Jarvis Landry - Should You Care?

Postby BigBawseRoss » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:55 am

i think he will be fine, he has shown a knack for getting open and catching everything. that team is bad and the offense hasnt been very good the entire time he has been there. i think in a new situation you can expect more of the same but i would expect if he lands in a better situation his yards per catch would go up. dude has scored in 5 of the last 6 games and is the only sure bet for production, that shows he can be good even in a bad situation
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:58 am

I feel as though Landry has been typecast into this role in Miami.

Do not get ne wrong, I do not think he is some great deep threat.

However, everything I have seen suggests he can at the very least be an intermediate threat from a talent perspective.

Miami has been one of the most poorly run teams over the last couple years and I believe they are not using Landry to his potential.

I mean - he has tied his career high in TDs already because they are finally targeting him in the redzone.
Last edited by Phaded on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:20 am

People have been saying that forever. That his volume isn't sustainable to keep him a WR1

His quarterback just went from Tennhill, to Deep Ball (interception) Cutler. Should have been the worst QB style for him but Landry keeps putting up the ppr numbers

Its like people don't give him credit for his ability to always get open on routes, and that makes him a very attractive target for any QB to throw to many multiple times per game
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Triton85
Captain
Captain

Postby Triton85 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:22 am

I own him and I am excited to see him leave... Cutler has been horrible for him, but he's still putting up decent numbers. In a 1/2 ppr he's been a solid WR2, and the entire WR market right now is out of wack. I think it settles back in next year

Fezzik
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Fezzik » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:27 am

hockeyBjj wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:20 am Its like people don't give him credit for his ability to always get open on routes, and that makes him a very attractive target for any QB to throw to many multiple times per game
I apologize in advance for the ticky-tac comment, but I actually feel like its NOT that he gets open that well, but it's that he catches it when he's kinda covered. He's a perfect friend for a scrambling quarterback - his contested catch rate lead the league at one point (going off memory). He can be thrown to when covered and relied on to make that catch more than anyone.

This aspect of his game bodes well for his transition to another team, but in general I fall into the camp where I'm not a buyer at his current price.

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:33 am

His AYA is, and has been, extremely troublesome. I don't believe he'll be the target monster that he has been in the future, because an efficient offense usually doesn't work that way. He should be fine as a low-end WR2 - high end WR3, though.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:28 am

Julian Edelman will be 32 and coming off an ACL tear next year. These slot guys have been slower to bounce back from ACL injuries than other positions (even when they're younger than 32). Amendola has been disappointing as a fill-in and New England has a history of poaching WRs from division rivals.

Just throwing it out there...
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:30 am

I get why people are worried, he's a free agent and his YAC is down and blah blah blah. People were worried before this season even started, and his numbers are still great. He's a 24 year old who has been a WR1 for three seasons! That's what really matters. He's Doug Baldwin minus 5 years. He's T.Y. Hilton without Andrew Luck. I don't think he gets all the blame for his lack of yardage this year, it's not like he has lost a step at age 24. He'll be fine, I actually think he's seriously undervalued.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:35 am

This is a team with garbage at QB, no running game, no TE, and the only other viable receiver is an inconsistent Parker...and the conclusion being drawn is we should be concerned about Landry? My only concern is if he stays in Miami and they don't fix basically everything else that's wrong with that team.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:56 am

Going to another team will only help. Volume might decrease a little, but quality of targets will improve.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:14 am

skip wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:35 am This is a team with garbage at QB, no running game, no TE, and the only other viable receiver is an inconsistent Parker...and the conclusion being drawn is we should be concerned about Landry? My only concern is if he stays in Miami and they don't fix basically everything else that's wrong with that team.
:clap: yep
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Fezzik
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Fezzik » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:21 pm

skip wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:35 am This is a team with garbage at QB, no running game, no TE, and the only other viable receiver is an inconsistent Parker...and the conclusion being drawn is we should be concerned about Landry? My only concern is if he stays in Miami and they don't fix basically everything else that's wrong with that team.
No the question being asked is, if he should go elsewhere (which it would appear is his preference as he wants to be paid a lot of money, and Miami doesn't seem to want to pay him that money), would his fantasy points scored decrease?

Why would you be concerned if he stays in Miami and it remains broken? He's a PPR wr1 under those circumstances a couple times the last few yeas. But because of the factors you mention, at a new team, is he still scoring points at the same clip?

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:54 pm

I think Kenny Stills and Leonte Carroo are both "viable receivers" and Kenyan Drake is pretty good too.

Sterling Archer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sterling Archer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:43 pm

I don't see how people can expect things to get better elsewhere. Nobody else is going to give him this many targets and he's not a talent that just demands targets.

Combine metrics are not the end all, be all for WRs, but just have a glance at this: https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/jarvis-landry/