What Should I Do?? (PLEASE Help!--I'll return the favor)

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Dr.DBuck
Rookie
Rookie

What Should I Do?? (PLEASE Help!--I'll return the favor)

Postby Dr.DBuck » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:46 am

As I started writing the subject header, the What Should I Do Brett Favre video popped into my head. If you have yet to see this video, I HIGHLY suggest that you spend the time watching, as it is hysterical. I also figured to add the link, in order to say thank you for anyone who took the time to read my post and help me answer my internal debate.

Currently at 3-4 and sitting in the 6th seed (last team in the playoffs), needless to say, I'm pretty torn on what to do right now. 50% of the league happens to be 3-4, as the last three playoff spots are more than completely up for grabs. This is the third year of our dynasty league existence and I have been to back-to-back Championships, so I feel like if things began going right for me, I could most likely compete.

As you can tell in my signature, I'm decently strapped with value draft picks, as I made some all-in trade moves last year in order to win and thankfully I did. 1sts are very valuable in our league, 2nds are valuable and are more for mid-level talents and toss-ins on bigger trades and 3rds currently have a pretty low value and really only for toss-ins.

My current starting lineup:
QB-Cousins
RB-Freeman
RB-Tevin Coleman
WR-Evans
WR-Landry
WR-Sanders/Marvin Jones/Cooper Kupp
TE-Kittle (after Olsen went down, it's been nothing less than a carousel here for me)
FLEX-CJ Anderson

-Have two very clear holes in my lineup, which I have been trying to actively address: WR3 and TE.

-I just traded Moncrief for Emmanuel Sanders and a 2020-2nd a week ago and Sanders gets hurt instantly.

-I just traded a 2019-2nd and a 2019-3rd for Marvin Jones and a 2020-2nd. PRAYING Marvin ends up working out here for me. Was thinking Tate could be out for a few weeks maybe, so Jones could be a nice play for that time he's absent. Not a huge fan of Marvin at all, but still has potential and got him for basically free, so I had to make the move.

**What Should I Do??**
I have been incredibly unlucky this year so far. Out of my four losses, the 1st one was because Kareem Hunt had 43.1 and I had Evans and Landry on a bye, the 2nd one was because Todd Gurley had 35.4, the 3rd I had Freeman-Tevin-CJ-Cousins on a bye and my 4th was because I decided to start Njoku over Kittle two weeks ago and lost because of the difference.

-->Do I attempt to trade some/all of my value picks (1st, 2nd, 2nd) and lower assets, to try and upgrade my WR3/TE?

*I think I could probably trade my 1st and 2nd for Evan Engram. He's been playing great so far this year, I think and thought he would be a stud anyways, but is it worth me making that type of move? (This is the most interesting thing to me, but still feel like I should maybe hold off and sit tight)

*Should I move my 1st for Mark Ingram? I'd MUCH rather keep my 1st, as Ingram's value has sky rocketed over the past two weeks, but I do view him as a solid RB and he certainly could majorly improve my lineup if I roll him out at the FLEX. (Still, feel like I should probably just keep my 1st)

*Should I sit tight and not do anything and ride the wave wherever it takes me? Sanders could come back hopefully sooner than later and could immediately upgrade my lineup, especially if he starts providing me 8.5-10+ every week. Marvin Jones could end up being good over the next few weeks helping me out and maybe CJ Anderson actually becomes useful once again.

Overall, torn here. I like my team situation right now and have been getting pretty damn unlucky this year, but I have been leaning towards just sitting tight and seeing what happens. If I had a better record, I would be more inclined to make a stronger push, and it doesn't help that my schedule is pretty hard moving forward as well. Feel like if I can squeak into the playoffs, I can do some damage, but I keep continuously going back and forth with what I should do here.
Yes, We Keep ALL the Players. (2015 creation)
12 Team League, .5ppr

QB-2RB-3WR-TE-FLEX (Starting Roster), 10 bench spots and 3 IR spots (18 Active Spots).

*Draft Picks: We have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round every year of rookies and current FAs. We are allowed to trade draft picks up to three years out.

League History
2015-PF Champ, Lost in Finals.
2016-League Champion.

2017-Current
3-5, 8th place in standings.

QB: Cousins, Luck
RB: Freeman, CJ Anderson, Tevin Coleman, Gio, Powell, Matt Breida, Joe Williams, Rod Smith
WR: Evans, Landry, Emmanuel Sanders, Marvin Jones, Cooper Kupp, Snead, Tyrell Williams
TE: Olsen, Njoku, Kittle

Picks:
2018: 2x-3rds
2019: 3x-3rds
2020: 1x-1st, 2x-2nds, 2x-3rds

dblj1199
GOAT
GOAT

Re: What Should I Do?? (PLEASE Help!--I'll return the favor)

Postby dblj1199 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:17 am

I think looking at your roster I"m holding right now. Unless you can pull off a deal that is really good I'd hold and keep building for the future.
2015, 2017, 2022 Champ.
10 team, 6 pt all td, ppr, 1.5 te ppr. 30 man roster QB, SF, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, Flex (r/w/t), K, 3 IDP

Qb- Mahomes, Prudy, Baker
RB- S Barkley, Pollard, B Hall, K Herbert, D Foreman, R Johnson, Zeke, J Robinson, Z White, J Wilson(i.r.), J McKinnon, J Mason, J Hill
WR- J Jefferson, Deebo, DJ Moore, OBJ, S Moore, J Jennings, C Austin, Trey Palmer
TE- Andrews, Higbee, Dulchich, Ferguson, D Washington
IDP(3)- P Queen,D Perryman, J Jewell, J Campbell, N Dean (i.r.)
K- E McPherson, Butker

draft picks
2024- 2, 4, 5
2025- 3, 3, 4, 5

hudini33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby hudini33 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:21 am

dblj1199 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:17 am I think looking at your roster I"m holding right now. Unless you can pull off a deal that is really good I'd hold and keep building for the future.
Agreed, I also don't like starting two RBs from the same team. Given those are the only pair I'd consider. Your wr3 will be fine once Sanders gets back, but I would hold or maybe sell one 2nd, definitely not both.
No One 12-team, 21 man roster PPR (1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, FLEX, D/ST, K) 0-0 EST. 2017

2018, 2021 Champion

QB: Hurts, Z Wilson, Minshew, Heinecke
RB: Zeke, Ekeler, Patterson, J Robinson, Pollard, Jamal Williams
WR: Diggs, Sutton, Metcalf, McLaurin, Mooney, V. Jefferson, M. Jones
TE: Andrews, Knox, Freiermuth
D/ST: Packers, Cardinals

2022 Picks: 1.12, 2.12, 3.03, 3.12
2023 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 3

2018 and 2021 Champion.
2020 Runner-up

Rookie Class Heroes 10-team, 30 man roster PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX) 0-0 EST. 2020

QB: Baker, Fields, Ryan, Darnold
RB: Dobbins, Jacobs, Harris, Herbert, , Bernard, J. Wilson, Kelley
WR: DJ Moore, Sutton, Waddle, Mooney, N. Collins, V. Jefferson, B. Edwards, D. Brown, Reynolds, Duvernay, Agholor, Mims, G Wilson, Pickens, Burks
TE: Engram, Kmet, Freiermuth, Tremble

2022 Picks: 1.08, 2.04, 2.09, 3.02, 4.04
2023 Picks: 1, 1, 3, 4

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:22 am

I don't see this team competing this year. You have more holes than just your WR3 and TE. You're starting 2RBs from the same team and flexing CJA. That's going to have to be addressed at some point as well.

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:25 am

I'm actually in a very similar situation in a league. 3-4, with an under performing team.
I've lost 2 games to wonky DE scoring that's led to 90+ points from my opponents DE, DE, DT combo.

It's not easy advice to take, but you need to wait and only make value moves. Don't mortgage your youth for an aging vet that might put you over the top for a win. If you can move to pick up youth & value to another 3-4 team, do it. Come back stronger in a year. If you can get cheap deals only people who might help you win, do it. The Sanders trade is really unlucky -- but that's the sort of thing I'd be after.

If it makes you feel better,I traded for JJ Watt the week he got hurt, Ty just 5 minutes before he broke his ribs, and I traded away Amari an hour before his breakout game. Never lucky!

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Slackalacker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:27 am

There aren’t too many moves you can make really, unless you’re able to package some of your depth and send away Coleman for a different RB. I think you’d have to hold and address most issues in the offseason or hope one of your developmental players blows up.
TEAM 1 - 10 team SF 1PPR | 2017 & 2019 League Champ
1QB/1SF/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX
QB: Dak - Hurts - DangeRuss - Tua - Z Wilson - Mills
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown
TE: Hock - Moreau

Dr.DBuck
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Dr.DBuck » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:59 am

Appreciate the help everyone and I was leaning on holding as well, just wanted to make sure that was the right move. I definitely wanted to hold the picks that I have in order to build or package together for a sure thing value player coming back, but I think staying put right now and seeing where this season takes me is the best move for sure.
12 Team League, .5ppr

QB-2RB-3WR-TE-FLEX (Starting Roster), 10 bench spots and 3 IR spots (18 Active Spots).

*Draft Picks: We have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round every year of rookies and current FAs. We are allowed to trade draft picks up to three years out.

League History
2016-League Champion.

2017-Current

RB: Freeman, CJ Anderson, Tevin Coleman, Gio, Powell, Matt Breida, Joe Williams, Rod Smith
WR: Evans, Landry, Emmanuel Sanders, Marvin Jones, Cooper Kupp, Snead, Tyrell Williams

Picks:

Dr.DBuck
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Dr.DBuck » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:05 am

Goddard wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:22 am I don't see this team competing this year. You have more holes than just your WR3 and TE. You're starting 2RBs from the same team and flexing CJA. That's going to have to be addressed at some point as well.
Agreed my RB2 will certainly have to be addressed as well in the future, but I honestly don't mind starting both Freeman and Tevin. I did it all last year and it worked out perfectly and I knew it wouldn't be the same results this year after Shanny left town, but it is still at least somewhat working for the most part. Tevin has done well every week so far except this past one (as I really only target 10pts from my RB2) and Freeman is still solid. Last year I mainly started both in order to lock up the around 30pts they would get together and since I didn't trust CJ or Powell this year, I had to roll with the same thing.

I tried trading for Kamara but my buddy loves him and I tried getting Ingram the week before AP was traded and of course his value went from a 2nd to a 1st since that time. I do think Sanders comes back and at least fills my WR3 needs and of course CJ blew up in my face this year-along with the hopes of Powell, so that needs to be upgraded as well moving forward. Which is the main reason I agree that I should hold and not make any major type of moves involving my picks for this year.
12 Team League, .5ppr

League History
2016-League Champion.

2017-Current

Picks: