Worried about? Sammy edition...

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Worried about? Sammy edition...

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:50 am

During the offseason I promised myself that around week 6-7 I'd go after Sammy, because he'd be underperforming.

So I'm going to do it.

But what does everyone else think? Are we panicking that he's basically turned into a "streak route" bot?

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Worried about? Sammy edition...

Postby Slackalacker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:52 am

I think it's a situation thing mostly, and only very slightly a talent thing.

The most promising thing is he hasn't gotten seriously injured yet and I'd bank on him turning it around if you can buy him very cheap right now.
TEAM 1 - 10 team SF 1PPR | 2017 & 2019 League Champ
1QB/1SF/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX
QB: Dak - Hurts - DangeRuss - Tua - Z Wilson - Mills
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown
TE: Hock - Moreau

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:56 am

So far I have started him every week except for week 3, but I am sitting him this again this week. I am sure he will top 25 fantasy points on my bench.

I am a bit worried, I figured after a couple of games with the Rams he would be a decent target hog but that hasn't happened at all.

Edit: this is his 4th year in the league and he is healthy but not startable in a fantasy line-up, I can't imagine any situation where that doesn't make someone at least somewhat worried. Just for reference I am starting the crew of Docston, Robbie Anderson, and T Cohen over a healthy Sammy Watkins.

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:10 am

Until he starts putting up decent numbers, I'm keeping him on the bench. Still a hold, maybe the Rams just aren't the team for him to be on
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:22 am

Anyone who says they aren't at least a little worried about Watkins is lying in my opinion. You can choose to hold, or choose to try and buy at a reduced cost, but you're definitely not as confident in his outlook as you once were. You have legitimate thoughts that he may not be what we thought he was. It was always 'he just needs to stay healthy' or 'he just needs out of Buffalo', and i know that it is still early, but this is most certainly a lot worse than people had anticipated to this point.

I do agree that he still has talent and the future isn't a lock for doom and gloom, but worry most certainly has set in. If not in you, than likely for everyone else in your league. Question is, what does the worry drive the price to. I think that could range greatly.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:37 am

It just hit me. Is Watkins the next Michael Floyd? Think about this, neither have had more than 66 receptions in a single season. Their athleticism and career numbers are eerily similar.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:47 am

The one thing that worries me about Sammy is if he decides to sign a long term deal in LA.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:55 am

FiremanEd wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:22 am Anyone who says they aren't at least a little worried about Watkins is lying in my opinion. You can choose to hold, or choose to try and buy at a reduced cost, but you're definitely not as confident in his outlook as you once were. You have legitimate thoughts that he may not be what we thought he was. It was always 'he just needs to stay healthy' or 'he just needs out of Buffalo', and i know that it is still early, but this is most certainly a lot worse than people had anticipated to this point.

I do agree that he still has talent and the future isn't a lock for doom and gloom, but worry most certainly has set in. If not in you, than likely for everyone else in your league. Question is, what does the worry drive the price to. I think that could range greatly.
X2

I've been a Sammy defender hard core, and I still am. He has extremely rare talent. But I'm very nervous right now...
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:56 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:37 am It just hit me. Is Watkins the next Michael Floyd? Think about this, neither have had more than 66 receptions in a single season. Their athleticism and career numbers are eerily similar.
Please stop. You're scaring the children. And me :(
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
KITTLE, Goedert
/
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
/
R WILSON, Minshew
KELCE, Schultz
/
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
LAPORTA

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:37 am It just hit me. Is Watkins the next Michael Floyd? Think about this, neither have had more than 66 receptions in a single season. Their athleticism and career numbers are eerily similar.
Ding ding ding!
Okay maybe not so confident but it is a very likely possibility.

lilpuppy99
Role Player
Role Player

Postby lilpuppy99 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:57 pm

Perriman has a better chance at this point than Sammy. Sammy is not a good football player. Wasn't in college, hasn't been in the pros. Athletic advantage can make you look like something you are not when you are running go routes past everyone in college. I don't think even A Rodgers would make him fantasy relevant. Can't believe 10 points per game last year and 8 points per game thus far this year and guys expect a 1st rd pick in return for that garbage. You can never start him confidently, and more likely than not by acquiring him he will make your team worse. I'd be interested to see how many games he alone would lose for you with his 0 or 3 fantasy point weeks in your lineup while you could've instead started an Adam Humphries or Nelson Agholor, or Jeremy Kerley type player and won.
TEAM 1. 12 team PPR/1.5 TE PPR- 20 man roster, 3 IR
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, 2 RB/WR/TE, Def, K

QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Zeke Elliott, David Johnson, Alvin Kamara, Nick Chubb, Damien Harris, A Mattison, Darwin Thompson
WR: AJ Brown, C Godwin, T Lockett, J Washington, DJ Chark, Antonio Brown, B Perriman
TE: Zach Ertz, D Goedert, Will Dissly
K: Steven Gostkowski
D/ST: Rams Defense

2020 picks 1.10, 2.10, 4.10, 5.10, 6.10, 7. 10

TEAM 2

12 team PPR/1.5 TE PPR- 20 man roster, 3 IR
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, 2 RB/WR/TE, Def, K

QB: Baker Mayfield, Mitchell Trubisky
RB: Kareem Hunt, Derrick Henry, Kerryon Johnson, Adrian Peterson, C Hyde
WR: Mike Evans, DeAndre Hopkins, Allen Robinson, D Parker, AJ Brown, DJ Chark, J Ross, D Funchess
TE: Zach Ertz, Irv Smith Jr, Will Dissly
K: Stephen Gostkowski
D/ST: Broncos Defense

2020 picks 1.02, 2.01, 2.02, 3.02, 4.02, 5.02, 6.02, 7.02

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:03 pm

lilpuppy99 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:57 pm Perriman has a better chance at this point than Sammy. Sammy is not a good football player. Wasn't in college, hasn't been in the pros. Athletic advantage can make you look like something you are not when you are running go routes past everyone in college. I don't think even A Rodgers would make him fantasy relevant. Can't believe 10 points per game last year and 8 points per game thus far this year and guys expect a 1st rd pick in return for that garbage. You can never start him confidently, and more likely than not by acquiring him he will make your team worse. I'd be interested to see how many games he alone would lose for you with his 0 or 3 fantasy point weeks in your lineup while you could've instead started an Adam Humphries or Nelson Agholor, or Jeremy Kerley type player and won.
OMGosh the troll is strong with you, grasshopper
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
KITTLE, Goedert
/
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
/
R WILSON, Minshew
KELCE, Schultz
/
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
LAPORTA

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:08 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:03 pm
lilpuppy99 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:57 pm Perriman has a better chance at this point than Sammy. Sammy is not a good football player. Wasn't in college, hasn't been in the pros. Athletic advantage can make you look like something you are not when you are running go routes past everyone in college. I don't think even A Rodgers would make him fantasy relevant. Can't believe 10 points per game last year and 8 points per game thus far this year and guys expect a 1st rd pick in return for that garbage. You can never start him confidently, and more likely than not by acquiring him he will make your team worse. I'd be interested to see how many games he alone would lose for you with his 0 or 3 fantasy point weeks in your lineup while you could've instead started an Adam Humphries or Nelson Agholor, or Jeremy Kerley type player and won.
I feel like this is the email I receive after I reject a lowball Sammy offer.

Nervously holding this guy, but everywhere I have him I picked him up this offseason.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:21 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:03 pm
I have to say the idea that he wasn't a good football player in college is a bit insane seeing as he holds Clemson's single season receiving records in both receptions and yardage. Couple that with him being the #5 WR over the 2nd half of 2015 when he was with the Bills and healthy, this post was filled with bias not facts.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Oddball456 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:56 am So far I have started him every week except for week 3, but I am sitting him this again this week. I am sure he will top 25 fantasy points on my bench.

I am a bit worried, I figured after a couple of games with the Rams he would be a decent target hog but that hasn't happened at all.

Edit: this is his 4th year in the league and he is healthy but not startable in a fantasy line-up, I can't imagine any situation where that doesn't make someone at least somewhat worried. Just for reference I am starting the crew of Docston, Robbie Anderson, and T Cohen over a healthy Sammy Watkins.
Same here! That week 3 game gave me confidence to roll him out these past 3... I'll be playing guys like Ricardo Louis, Taylor Gabriel and Nelson Agholor over him this week. Though I need to choose between him and Martavis in one league :sick:

That said, I'm considering throwing out an offer in the one league where I don't already own him. I think he'll bounce back, though I'm not sure anymore that it'll happen this year. I'm certainly not making offers for him in redraft.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker