Derrick Henry Thread - Is he still King Henry post injury?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Lasst chance to buy Henry?

Postby The Red Rooster » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:06 am

Friction wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:04 am It is tough nowadays having to hold a talented rb for 2, 3, maybe 4 years since it is a position that has a fairly instant impact amongst rookies. I like Henry and all, but when I hear 2 and 3 firsts being offered for him, I would probably do it. Maybe if they all "projected" to be later it would make me pause, but DeMarco just is not going away and is not getting injured like expected.
As a Henry owner, I hate agreeing with this, but I do.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:47 am

The Red Rooster wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:06 am
Friction wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:04 am It is tough nowadays having to hold a talented rb for 2, 3, maybe 4 years since it is a position that has a fairly instant impact amongst rookies. I like Henry and all, but when I hear 2 and 3 firsts being offered for him, I would probably do it. Maybe if they all "projected" to be later it would make me pause, but DeMarco just is not going away and is not getting injured like expected.
As a Henry owner, I hate agreeing with this, but I do.
This is how I see it. I like Henry's upside, but to value him as an elite asset never made sense to me (unless you drafted as a rookie before the Murray Signing, in which case your frustration is legitimate, but your valuation still isn't). Why would I spend multiple firsts or an early first on a RB who will be in his age 24/25 season before he has a realistic chance at being the lead RB without an injury? And that's not taking into account that Murray is signed through 2019. And why are we assuming guy with 0 career starts will be elite? Wouldn't I rather spend that capital on rookies actually drafted to be a team's workhorse who are younger and with better NFL draft capital? My theory is that there is a lag effect from the horrifically poor 2016 draft (offense at least), where dynasty owners assumed (hoped) Henry would be a stud because he was the 2nd best option. Because he's been behind Murray we have plausible deniability related to his actual failure to be fantasy relevant, so his value hasn't dropped proportionate to his performance, rather it increased as the anticipation grew.

If the community was saying, "hey pick up Henry now with a late first because he could explode if given opportunity" I'd get behind it. But he was declared an elite asset before doing anything making him a terrible value for what he really represents. But instead of ranting I guess I should just be grateful. Last week's assumption that Murray was done for allowed me to scoop him up for a future 2nd.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:48 am

So, are people still interested in trading for Henry since he has been so quiet the past several weeks? Knowing that Murray is signed for 2 more years after 2017 (I don't know about cap hit is the titans move on early) is Henry going to be a roster clogger for 2.5 years unless Murray gets hurt? I am still interested in his talent but that seems like a lot of risk / time to invest.

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:55 am

Maybe this kid will be a re-run of Larry Johnson.

Concept Coop
Starter
Starter

Postby Concept Coop » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:28 pm

Oddball456 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:48 am So, are people still interested in trading for Henry since he has been so quiet the past several weeks? Knowing that Murray is signed for 2 more years after 2017 (I don't know about cap hit is the titans move on early) is Henry going to be a roster clogger for 2.5 years unless Murray gets hurt? I am still interested in his talent but that seems like a lot of risk / time to invest.
They can cut Murray at no hit after the season if they want to. I'm not sure if they will, however, based on usage. Murray clearly has their trust.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:33 pm

Oddball456 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:48 am So, are people still interested in trading for Henry since he has been so quiet the past several weeks? Knowing that Murray is signed for 2 more years after 2017 (I don't know about cap hit is the titans move on early) is Henry going to be a roster clogger for 2.5 years unless Murray gets hurt? I am still interested in his talent but that seems like a lot of risk / time to invest.
I think the risk is low. Murray turns 30 in February and is unlikely to be on the Titans by the time Henry's contract is up in two seasons.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:33 pm
I think the risk is low. Murray turns 30 in February and is unlikely to be on the Titans by the time Henry's contract is up in two seasons.
Don't think you need to worry about Henry clogging your roster for two more years, but the origin of the thread assumed he would be leading the backfield 2 weeks ago.
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:42 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:09 pm Don't think you need to worry about Henry clogging your roster for two more years, but the origin of the thread assumed he would be leading the backfield 2 weeks ago.
It's still very possible he could end up leading this backfield by the end of the season. If the last few weeks have opened up an opportunity to buy for a more reasonable price, then jump on it.

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:06 pm

It always bothered me that Mularky flat out said Murray will be the workhorse in MARCH...without hesitation. It never made sense to me why he wouldn't promote a competition between the two and instead just handed the backfield to Murray. As a Henry owner, I'm worried about next yr also.

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:56 pm

So if this 5 week trend continues through the whole season, in January would you trade Henry and a late 1st for the 1.01 to grab a Barkley/ Guice/ Chubb?
The standard is the standard.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:11 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:42 pm
jcc6fd wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:09 pm Don't think you need to worry about Henry clogging your roster for two more years, but the origin of the thread assumed he would be leading the backfield 2 weeks ago.
It's still very possible he could end up leading this backfield by the end of the season. If the last few weeks have opened up an opportunity to buy for a more reasonable price, then jump on it.
10 carries for 16 yards over the past two weeks doesn't make me think this is a good prediction.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:10 pm

Defender wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:56 pm So if this 5 week trend continues through the whole season, in January would you trade Henry and a late 1st for the 1.01 to grab a Barkley/ Guice/ Chubb?
Without hesitation I would give that up for the 1.01. Although that 1.01 would be spent on Barkley or Guice (probably Saquan), def not Chubb
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:26 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:10 pm
Defender wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:56 pm So if this 5 week trend continues through the whole season, in January would you trade Henry and a late 1st for the 1.01 to grab a Barkley/ Guice/ Chubb?
Without hesitation I would give that up for the 1.01. Although that 1.01 would be spent on Barkley or Guice (probably Saquan), def not Chubb
I honestly doubt that even gets it done for the 1.01
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:04 am

Offered Ebron for Henry in a 14 team TE premium with 0 RBs. I still expect a decline and no counter.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:39 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:11 pm 10 carries for 16 yards over the past two weeks doesn't make me think this is a good prediction.
Henry is a volume runner. He's never going to be as effective when he's just giving the starter a breather. He's at his best when his size and power wears down on you each snap.