Joe Mixon Thread: 4 Year extension in Cincy

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
black_swan
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Mixon so far

Postby black_swan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:28 am

I'm quite concerned about Mixon. He obviously has good size, speed. Very good at making people miss one on one. Does the prettiest 2 yard carry you will ever see. Obviously the Cincinnati O-line sux so it's way too early to be sure but Mixon looks like the complete opposite of a north south runner, he's a east west runner. He's pretty 2 yard runs to the outside will buy him some time but at some stage he's going to have to show he can run between the tackles with decisiveness.

ascherb
Starter
Starter

Postby ascherb » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:20 pm

I knew this was a possibility when I drafted him. It's Marvin Lewis.

The Bengals offense has been a dumpster fire, and the coaching staff is going to start becoming desperate for a spark. Mixon is going to get his chance at more carries if he continues to impress and work hard in practice.

I own him in one league and am trying to buy low in my others.
Please give us a visit for awesome FF content:

extrapointff.com

ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ImaRounder » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:06 pm

Just bought him for henry.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:44 pm

ImaRounder wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:06 pm Just bought him for henry.
I think Mixon is the overall better talent but I'd honestly rather have Henry unless it's full PPR, he has the benefit of a much, much better offensive line and a young QB who has a strong rushing ability and will almost always keep a LB off as a spy, lessening the defensive front for Henry. Not only that but with Demarco hurt and Lewis insisting on trying to get every RB on the Bengals involved I think he's a stronger play now and not just down the road.
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:15 pm

I didn't see the game, but did Mixon play as poorly as his stats? I'm hoping it's more of the poor run blocking or play calling.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:42 pm

jimmychoi wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:15 pm I didn't see the game, but did Mixon play as poorly as his stats? I'm hoping it's more of the poor run blocking or play calling.
My guess is he continued to try to kick everything outside, but didn't break anything long to save his ypc? That's pretty much defined his performance in what I have seen. Kid has great athleticism, but either doesn't have faith in his blockers or doesn't know how to follow a blocker. Probably doing what a lot of guys coming into the league do and trying to get game breaking plays every play instead of just taking what is there.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:53 pm

Who runs some of these teams? Bengals, chargers, Seahawks, colts.... Maybe they know more than me, but I would assume you can't run an offense without an oline. It's infuriating watching them try and move the ball downfield. Everyone talks about how important qbs are but look how far that's gotten the colts. Bengals let go their 2 best olinemen and look at them try and move down field in the run. So frustrating...

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:10 pm

He ran against the 5th best Team against the run.... never understood why Cleveland was his supposed coming out party with that horrid O-Line Against a extremely underrated group of run stoppers.... It's as if you carry the name Cleveland then you must be bad at everything then... Still a great time to buy low because he doesn't look bad at all. People are going to panic hard now.
14 Team .5 PPR Return yards
QB: Luck, Mayfield
RB: Elliot, Mixon, Guice, Ekeler
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith
TE: Gronk, Burton, Goedert
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Jax, Chiefs

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:28 am

CK_ wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:10 pm He ran against the 5th best Team against the run.... never understood why Cleveland was his supposed coming out party with that horrid O-Line Against a extremely underrated group of run stoppers.... It's as if you carry the name Cleveland then you must be bad at everything then... Still a great time to buy low because he doesn't look bad at all. People are going to panic hard now.
I'm not panicking yet, but I noticed he had a big uptick in carries late in the game. I suspect it was when they were up big and Cleveland knew they weren't going to pass...,hence they focused on stopping the run. Just curious though.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:24 am

Mixon's YPC is awful so far, but I'd like to point out to y'all that his cumulative PFF grade before Week 4 was a quite decent 78.5, good for 10th best in the NFL at the halfback position at that point in time. That he has struggled statistically sort of only makes the grade more impressive, as it means PFF's graders are watching his film and consistently concluding that he isn't actually leaving yards on the field himself.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:15 am

Tape up until this week has looked good. I didn't catch the game this week but doesn't sound like he continued "looking good". I'd like to see it for myself rather than just box score scouting, but assuming nobody will compile his touches on YouTube since he did nothing with them.

I think I'm just burying my head in the sand and hoping it gets better.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:47 pm

btv802 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:15 am Tape up until this week has looked good. I didn't catch the game this week but doesn't sound like he continued "looking good". I'd like to see it for myself rather than just box score scouting, but assuming nobody will compile his touches on YouTube since he did nothing with them.

I think I'm just burying my head in the sand and hoping it gets better.
I think we (Mixon owners) have to. I do think he’s talented but in a less than ideal situation.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:35 am

Cincy's OL was always going to be the huge question mark this year...worried about it when I drafted Mixon over Cook and McCaffrey, the good news is this new OC knows what's up with Jeremy Hill but Mixon definitely needs to pick up the pace.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:14 am

Also some good perspective here,

"Per PFF, no offensive line has opened up fewer yards before contact per rush than #Bengals have for Joe Mixon (0.30). League average: 1.40." -Barfield

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:52 am

I think it's a little alarming that his YPC is so poor yet he's faced a light front for nearly 40% of his carries. Contrast that with Foreman only facing a light front 10% of the time. The line is bad though, Mixon does have a top 20 in juke rate and top 15 in yards created per touch. So according to that he's playing ok.