Tarik Cohen Fan Club

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Re: T. Cohen's value?

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:09 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:01 pm
lukkynumber13 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:04 am Wow, this post has me slightly encouraged! I was thinking maybe I can get a 4th or 5th out of him...
Seriously? How long have you played this game? People always chase points, plus he's a rookie and he "outplayed" Howard so he's obviously the next big thing at RB.
Not in the league I own him... people never initiate trades.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

gaNMan
Rookie
Rookie

Postby gaNMan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:15 pm

I own him, and love him in PPR leagues.

Would I pay a first for him? No chance, but it'd take a first for me to move him.

For a second I'm willing to keep him and use him as a flex / bye RB throughout the season when needed.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR - 1 QB / 2-3 RB / 3-4 WR / 1-2 TE / 1 FLEX (RB/WR/TE)

QB: Newton / Stafford
RB: Gurley / Howard / White / Riddick / Lewis
WR: Demaryius / Dez / Jeffery / Watkins / Cobb / JMatt / Lee / Edelman
TE: Gronk / Bennett / Sefarian-Jenkins

Team 2 - 12 team PPR - 1 QB / 2-4 RB / 3-5 WR / 1-3 TE / 2 FLEX (RB/WR/TE)

QB: Wilson / Bridgewater / Palmer
RB: Hyde / Martin / Woodhead / Morris / McKinnon / Yeldon / Rawls
WR: AB/ Demaryius / Dez / Alshon / Thielen / Tyrell / Agholor / Kearse / Boyd
TE: Gronk / Kelce / Hooper

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Tarik Cohen is too small to be successful

Postby Bot101 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:01 pm

captain howdy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:17 am
jeffster wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:03 am
captain howdy wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:20 pm

What does he have to do, to be "successful"?
I'm not sure what counts as "successful"... He doesn't have similar measurements to Theo Riddick (5'9, 201), but maybe he could pull that off. I guess I would define a level of success I don't really think Cohen can achieve and/or sustain at Riddick's. Aside from not being physically similar, their game also isn't similar - Cohen is fast, Riddick isn't - but they're both role players who should make their living in space.

What would his advocates consider a reasonable expectation of success for Cohen? Sproles?
As an advocate, I think rb3/flex/bye week fill-in, is a success. Anything above is gravy. I dont want to start him on a contender or anything, but60 catches is not unreasonable, he gets return opportunities, and rushing opportunities. The Bears did well giving him the ball in space too. He also showed an aptitude, sans one crossing route, to get low before the tackle. He only took one big blow the whole game.
He took a couple monster hits. Plus he broke several arm tackles and plowed over Trufant (not that Trufant is huge but there is quite a size difference) for his TD.

I dont get why were having this discussion. If the guy can handle playing in the NFL we should be praising the crap out of him. Not making threads of the "oh hes too small" variety to bring him down.

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:53 pm

All this talk about BMI doesn't matter shows the argument is faulty. Your argument is that height alone will stop him from being a good NFL RB. Has no merit beyond statistical probabilities. Besides a ridiculous amount of reps on the bench from Sproles, Cohen and Sproles actually match up pretty well physically and stastistcally coming out of college. Sproles had a 45th percentile BMI, Cohen a 35th percentile. Cohen ran faster and was above the 90th percentile of 40 yard dashes for RBs in Player Profilers system (Sproles was 80+ %). Both ranked atrociously in Burst Score (Measure of lower body explosion;equally weights broad jump and vertical). Cohen had a 70% college dominator to Sproles like 77th and both had elite YPC. Is his stature limiting? Of course. He won't have the same power as a 6'0" 220 lb back, but that's not his role.

Also to say that cleats was comparing AP to Cohen is obviously faulty. Example was going to show that players with a similar build (BMI measures muscle distributed over ones entire stature and how well that particular frame can hold that weight) have come into the league and been successful. Also not how sure that BMI is still accurate anymore because AP is yolked, but if anything that again just shows that with a proper work ethic players can add muscle mass and increase BMI in order to increase the longevity of their career.
I may or may not be related to Bryan Edwards

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:22 am

alewilliam789 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:53 pm All this talk about BMI doesn't matter shows the argument is faulty. Your argument is that height alone will stop him from being a good NFL RB.
That was definitely not my argument.
alewilliam789 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:53 pm Has no merit beyond statistical probabilities.
Yes, that's what we're talking about. Probability of success.
alewilliam789 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:53 pm Also to say that cleats was comparing AP to Cohen is obviously faulty. Example was going to show that players with a similar build (BMI measures muscle distributed over ones entire stature and how well that particular frame can hold that weight) have come into the league and been successful.
That's a Cohen comparison to AP that you just did, too.

For what it's worth, the Bears, and especially Zach Miller, don't buy my argument either:

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-bears ... e-changing

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:40 am

Bot101 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:01 pm He took a couple monster hits. Plus he broke several arm tackles and plowed over Trufant (not that Trufant is huge but there is quite a size difference) for his TD.

I dont get why were having this discussion. If the guy can handle playing in the NFL we should be praising the crap out of him. Not making threads of the "oh hes too small" variety to bring him down.
I think it's important to note the context he "plowed over Trufant" in. It was on the goalline alone in the flat. Cohen chopped his feet to prepare to juke, which would be the expected move from a player like him. With Trufant having to stop him right there with no room for error, he also broke down in order to be a able to move laterally left or right to match Cohen. Cohen then dropped his shoulder into Trufant who now had no forward drive and just grabbed on.

It's not a bad play and it still shows he can play with strength but it isn't like they hit each other with matching momentum. Trufant was screwed in the open field with a little guy like that and knew that if he cut hard either way he likely couldn't stop him from getting one yard.

Also, the thread isn't to denigrate him, it's to debate how much of an impact someone so small can have over a long time. It's the dynasty discussion thread, this is exactly the kind of debate it's here for. Even people who say his size will be limiting note that he is an impressive football player.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:52 am

_yeti wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:40 am
Bot101 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:01 pm He took a couple monster hits. Plus he broke several arm tackles and plowed over Trufant (not that Trufant is huge but there is quite a size difference) for his TD.

I think it's important to note the context he "plowed over Trufant" in. It was on the goalline alone in the flat. Cohen chopped his feet to prepare to juke, which would be the expected move from a player like him. With Trufant having to stop him right there with no room for error, he also broke down in order to be a able to move laterally left or right to match Cohen. Cohen then dropped his shoulder into Trufant who now had no forward drive and just grabbed on.

It's not a bad play and it still shows he can play with strength but it isn't like they hit each other with matching momentum. Trufant was screwed in the open field with a little guy like that and knew that if he cut hard either way he likely couldn't stop him from getting one yard.

Also, the thread isn't to denigrate him, it's to debate how much of an impact someone so small can have over a long time. It's the dynasty discussion thread, this is exactly the kind of debate it's here for. Even people who say his size will be limiting note that he is an impressive football player.
Thanks, yeah. It would actually be super exciting if this tiny guy could excell in today's NFL. I would like to see it.

I just think we're unlikely to.

One article I read even suggested that Chicago deliberately didn't throw to Cohen in preseason so other teams didn't get advanced tape on what to look out for. That seems like a red flag, like his game was depending on not being schemed against. Well, they have tape now.

Granted, teams hide stuff all the time. But not usually to the extent of keeping a rookie out of preseason action.

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:08 am

I don't call this a monster hit. He was able to see it coming and squared his shoulder. it was a hard hit, but very clean hit where the pads take the brunt of the impact. Hardly the type of hit that results in an injury and more likely a standard hit in the NFL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaf5Ez9mHnU
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:28 am

Reljac wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:08 am
I don't call this a monster hit. He was able to see it coming and squared his shoulder. it was a hard hit, but very clean hit where the pads take the brunt of the impact. Hardly the type of hit that results in an injury and more likely a standard hit in the NFL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaf5Ez9mHnU
But at the same time - it bodes well for him that he knows how to position himself and use his pads to take an incoming hit.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:36 am

Cohen passes the eye test. He likely won't ever be one of the most valuable dynasty backs, but he is clearly good enough to have a role. Some of the negativity in this thread surprises me.

kybourbon
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby kybourbon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 am

How much of a $1000/season allowance would you bid on him?

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:03 am

kybourbon wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 am How much of a $1000/season allowance would you bid on him?
Depends on league build....... non-ppr, .5-ppr, and full ppr. The less ppr, the less his potential ceiling is.
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas

kybourbon
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby kybourbon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:47 am

Reljac wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:03 am
kybourbon wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 am How much of a $1000/season allowance would you bid on him?
Depends on league build....... non-ppr, .5-ppr, and full ppr. The less ppr, the less his potential ceiling is.
Full PPR.

Dynasty.

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:02 am

My guess is you will have to Bid a large portion of that budget then. Very few backs will see 12 targets. If he gets anywhere close to that regularly he would be PPR gold and people will be willing to gamble on that, especially given the lack of WRs and playmakers on the Bears.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:52 am

I sent out a 2nd for him in my leagues and didn't get any bites.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert