Re: T. Cohen's value?

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:16 am

2nd. I assume most would want a 1st though

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Tarik Cohen is too small to be successful

Postby jeffster » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:43 am

Okay, staking my controversial flag. We started talking about this in the week 1 thread, but I thought I would put it out there in its own spot so people can angrily ask me if I watched him play last night all together. :)

Now into some numbers...

Since 1999 amongst all RBs we have measurements for, only five weighed 179 pounds or less: Dexter McCluster, Dri Archer, Noel Devine, DeAnthony Thomas, and Donnel Pumphery. All of them are basically 2" taller.

Only six were 66.5" or shorter: Robbie Rouse, Jacquizz Rodgers, Darren Sproles, Antwon Bailey, Branden Oliver, and Dion Lewis. All of them weigh around 200 pounds - Sproles is the closest at 187.

And everyone loves the Sproles comparison, but Sproles is a compact box of muscle, with his bench press in the 74th percentile (23 reps). In fact, only 14 RBs since 1999 have done as few bench press reps as Cohen (11 reps): Kenyan Drake, Christian McCaffrey, Donnel Pumphrey, Jahad Thomas, Jon Cornish, Trey Watts, DeAnthony Thomas, Tre Smith, Donald Buckram, Lance Dunbar, Roy Helu, Buck Allen, Keon Lattimore, and Correll Buckhalter. Those 11 reps are in the 1st percentile for RB bench press.

Not a single name shows up on all of these lists... except Cohen. Actually the only ones that show up on even two of the three are Pumphrey and DeAnthony Thomas.

So yes, I'm basing my argument purely on his physical metrics and not on film - I'm a numbers guy. If he can have sustained success in the NFL while being basically record-setting short, light and weak, then he'll be a historic talent. It's possible, and would be pretty exciting if it panned out. But I'll let others sink roster spots into that bet.

(And yes, I watched him play last night and he loked way better than I expected. But one game isn't going to change my mind.)

Ryantacular
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Tarik Cohen is too small to be successful

Postby Ryantacular » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:54 am

His size is why I don't own him anywhere.

Also because heavily invested in Howard.

Sooooo I hope he doesn't become a solid 3rd down back :crazy: :roll:

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:05 am

Warrick Dunn was less than 190lbs, with worse BMI than Cohen.

I would like to see Cohen put on 5-10 more lbs before he becomes a 10-15 carries a week guy, but the thing is, he can probably add that much weight pretty easily without losing any speed/burst, and probably will just from being on NFL-regimen weight-training. Cohen's low bench-rep score only seems to confirm that he, like many college players, didn't spend much time in the gym. He will now, because the NFL does a lot more to encourage it.

Dunn is obviously still an amazing outlier himself, but there's your precedent, OP.

Also, as the above all implies, I think you're misstepping putting so much emphasis on height when searching for relevant precedent. Height doesn't make a guy more durable, and other than a minor benefit to pass-catching and blocking ability, it doesn't help RBs. Height correlates with mass, and there's your real key metric here.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Ryantacular
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Ryantacular » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:07 am

If selling I would try to get a first, and assume no one will give. I'll take a 2nd eventually if I cant end up getting a 1st. That's profiting because no way anyone grabbed him in the 2nd. I wouldnt keep, and I wouldnt buy.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:26 am

Players have a tendency to announce themselves in this league and Cohen has done it in the preseason and now in Week 1, if free I would certainly grab him as a curiosity, but yes I would not go out of my way to acquire/roster him ... What was owning Dunn like in Fantasy?
@PlankMelody

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:35 am

ninotoreS wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:05 am Warrick Dunn was less than 190lbs, with worse BMI than Cohen.

I would like to see Cohen put on 5-10 more lbs before he becomes a 10-15 carries a week guy, but the thing is, he can probably add that much weight pretty easily without losing any speed/burst, and probably will just from being on NFL-regimen weight-training. Cohen's low bench-rep score only seems to confirm that he, like many college players, didn't spend much time in the gym. He will now, because the NFL does a lot more to encourage it.

Dunn is obviously still an amazing outlier himself, but there's your precedent, OP.

Also, as the above all implies, I think you're misstepping putting so much emphasis on height when searching for relevant precedent. Height doesn't make a guy more durable, and other than a minor benefit to pass-catching and blocking ability, it doesn't help RBs. Height correlates with mass, and there's your real key metric here.
Warrick Dunn is 3" taller, 187 pounds... and was drafted 20 years ago. Sproles seems like a better comp, though I don't have bench press info on guys from 1997 to compare that aspect. Being not-the-shortest-person-on-the-field seems like it matters quite a bit for receiving, all else equal.

Obviously none of Cohen's handicaps are impossible to overcome on their own. But all three together is, as I pointed out, unprecedented.

petebusey
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby petebusey » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:41 am

How much does it change things if it is 1.5ppr for RBs in a ppr league?
I'm too ashamed of any of my teams to post.

flashgordon12
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby flashgordon12 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:43 am

I respect your opinion, but I don't see how you can say let other people waste their time with him. Before yesterday he was practically free. And now we've seen his upside. I'm not gunna say he is going to be the next Barry Sanders, but surely there's a spot on your roster for someone who led a team in targets in his first game as a running back and looked good doing it. Metrics be damned
Flash in the Pan: 12 team PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1DEF) 25 man rosters

QB- Andrew Luck, Josh Allen
RB- MGIII, Mixon, Cohen, Devonta Freeman
WR- AB, Odell Beckham Jr., Josh Gordon, Tyler Boyd, Marqise Lee, Sutton, MVS
TE- Gronk, Higbee
DEF- Denver

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:51 am

You really have to find the right owner. I don't see long term success so much as gadget back. I'd say he's one of the players that have amongst the most variable values at the moment. Some may scream first, but I can't imagine a single player I'd draft him over in the 1st round of the recent draft and probably not most of the second rounders, so I'd be a horrible team to try to offer him to and an easy one to get to trade him away cheap.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:53 am

flashgordon12 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:43 am I respect your opinion, but I don't see how you can say let other people waste their time with him. Before yesterday he was practically free. And now we've seen his upside. I'm not gunna say he is going to be the next Barry Sanders, but surely there's a spot on your roster for someone who led a team in targets in his first game as a running back and looked good doing it. Metrics be damned
Well, I am being a little bombastic on purpose. Obviously I would roster the guy if he was free and my other choice was Christine Michael or whatever. But if I sounded too reasonable in the original post then it wouldn't be a proper hot taek. :snooty:

captain howdy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby captain howdy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:15 am

The problem is your claim is too vague.

What is successful?

Top 10, top 20, top 36?

For one season, or sustained "success"?

Successful generally? Or successful relative to his draft position?

Bc, and you would agree, he scored many points yesterday, and had the opportunity for even more.

What exactly are you saying? He won't repeat yesterday every week? No, of course not, nor will Hunt or Alex Smith...or on the other side of the coin, leveon bell or Demarco Murray who let owners down

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:36 am

dude looks like a fire hydrant charged with electricity ! is that bombastic enough ? being short & lacking prowess at the bench press is not good but being 3 inches shorter than dunn at only 8 lbs. less is a benefit to me , he has crazy quicks and agility , while never a bellcow he has a serious offensive role with his skills IMHO.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:48 am

Was looking at some box score data, he was targeted 12 times in the passing game, led the team in targets..
@PlankMelody

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:56 am

I replied to a handful of threads this off season regarding Cohen as I believe he is too undersized to play RB in the NFL and I don't plan to let one week of production alter that take. If he can demonstrate continued success for the bulk of this season, then he's worth consideration. I have no problem if owners want to roster him for "practically free" but he's not someone I'd invest much in and personally not someone I would invest anything in at all.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.