Stop calling Sammy Watkins a stud

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Sammy Watkins to Rams

Postby maxhyde » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:32 am

Agreed....and he's not their problem anymore. Even with the injuries I sort of agree with him. If the Bills were winning alot those few years I might not feel the same but playing on a bad team and not getting enough opportunities to help is frustrating
I think they will find he was a nice problem to have. A guy that wants the ball because he thinks he can help the team win.

I have no problem with the above characterization...I want guys that want the ball on my teams
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:18 am

There is a difference between wanting the ball to help your team and just plain wanting the ball for your own stat gains. "I don't care if he's open. Give me the ball anyways" does not sound like a guy that is team success as first priority.

Balzac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Balzac » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:34 am

Valhalla wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:18 am There is a difference between wanting the ball to help your team and just plain wanting the ball for your own stat gains. "I don't care if he's open. Give me the ball anyways" does not sound like a guy that is team success as first priority.
Again you are taking it out of context. At the time of the statements it really didn't matter who was getting the ball because the Bills were a dumpster and were losing games regardless. Sammy was being under worked and was making a statement that he felt they would do better to get him the ball more.

I agree with the poster above, this is the kind of guy I want. Your WRs should be hungry for the ball every play. Otherwise they aren't the type of guy you want on a fantasy team.
10 Team TE Premium, Dynasty Year 6 - (1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 3FLEX, 1K, 1DEF)
http://www57.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... =07&F=0002

12 Team .5PPR, Dynasty Year 4 - (1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 3FLEX)
https://www66.myfantasyleague.com/2017/ ... =07&F=0011

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:48 am

Balzac wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:34 am
Valhalla wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:18 am There is a difference between wanting the ball to help your team and just plain wanting the ball for your own stat gains. "I don't care if he's open. Give me the ball anyways" does not sound like a guy that is team success as first priority.
Again you are taking it out of context. At the time of the statements it really didn't matter who was getting the ball because the Bills were a dumpster and were losing games regardless. Sammy was being under worked and was making a statement that he felt they would do better to get him the ball more.

I agree with the poster above, this is the kind of guy I want. Your WRs should be hungry for the ball every play. Otherwise they aren't the type of guy you want on a fantasy team.
I may be completely wrong here, but it seems like the two of you may be talking about two entirely different things. I suspect Valhalla is continuing the conversation of why Buffalo got rid of Watkins in the real NFL. Balzac, it looks like you are supporting reasons why Sammy is a solid player in fantasy football.

Maybe?

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:13 am

rubber_duck wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:48 am
Balzac wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:34 am

I may be completely wrong here, but it seems like the two of you may be talking about two entirely different things. I suspect Valhalla is continuing the conversation of why Buffalo got rid of Watkins in the real NFL. Balzac, it looks like you are supporting reasons why Sammy is a solid player in fantasy football.

Maybe?
Yeah I think you're right.
Also, not everyone thinks Robert Woods is a dumpster fire. A team first approach does work in the NFL. Ask how it worked for that no talent dumpster fire non-elite athleticism wr from Miami that then went to the Patriots, for example

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:51 am

From the brief clips I saw of the Rams game last night, it looked like Sammy was pretty engaged with the rest of the team. Celebrating with teammates after scores and but plays and such.

Did anyone see how he looked running routes and such? I know it'll take some time for him and Goff to build chemistry, but it was encouraging to see the Rams offense move the ball fairly easily. Goff looked much better.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:30 am

Goff threw a pretty damn good ball, 25+ yards that would have been a TD....granted OAK's CB was right on Sammy but he had the opportunity to catch it.

Sportseditor23
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Sportseditor23 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:12 am

The mass panic about him going to the Rams was an embarrassment. As best you could just say there was a lot of uncertainty but to say you know it will be horrible because of Goff was a joke. Nobody has any idea how he will improve in year 2 and a vastly improved offensive coaching staff.
12 Tm PPR: 1 QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, 1 TE 2 FLX

QB: Brady
RB: Marshawn Lynch, J. White
WR: Evans, Odell, Sammy, Desean
Flex: Funchess, J. Stewart, Gallman
TE: Olsen, ASJ

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:25 pm

If I was a Watkins owner, I would be ecstatic about this trade. Watkins just went from a bad weather team with the fewest pass attempts in the league to a good weather team with a new coach whose old team had over 600 pass attempts. Considering that this is a dynasty forum, it amazes me at the short sightedness of most posters. Goff is a very talented QB who was put into the worst possible situation last year. The old coaching staff literally had no idea of how to develop a QB nor any concept of offensive football. The new coaching staff TEACHES nonstop. McVay has been working extremely closely with Goff since he became head coach. The Rams offense has a lot of work yet to do, but already has made a great deal of progress which is being largely ignored in these forums.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:14 am

dm1129 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:25 pm If I was a Watkins owner, I would be ecstatic about this trade. Watkins just went from a bad weather team with the fewest pass attempts in the league to a good weather team with a new coach whose old team had over 600 pass attempts. Considering that this is a dynasty forum, it amazes me at the short sightedness of most posters. Goff is a very talented QB who was put into the worst possible situation last year. The old coaching staff literally had no idea of how to develop a QB nor any concept of offensive football. The new coaching staff TEACHES nonstop. McVay has been working extremely closely with Goff since he became head coach. The Rams offense has a lot of work yet to do, but already has made a great deal of progress which is being largely ignored in these forums.
I am pretty happy with it long term. LA has a brighter future than Buffalo, and they paid a lot for a guy who is under contract only 1 year. Seems like they value his talent pretty highly. It is a bummer for this year though. I can't see him producing consistently after a mid-August trade.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:01 am

For the most part, I agree with some others that have posted that Watkins in LA seems to me, right now, more likely to be an upgrade than downgrade. If I'm an owner, I'm cautiously optimistic. Goff doesn't need to be elite, just competent.

That said, Watkins may end up disappointed with his target volume. The D-Jax role in McVay's offense averaged about 100 targets per 16 games. That's about a 6 target per week average. With Cooper Kupp coming on strong, McVay reportedly excited about using Gurley more as a pass-catcher, and optimism regarding the Everett/Higbee TE tandem's potential, Watkins will probably need to get zen about sharing, and focus on making big plays vertically with fewer targets. Which I think he can do, of course.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:10 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:01 am For the most part, I agree with some others that have posted that Watkins in LA seems to me, right now, more likely to be an upgrade than downgrade. If I'm an owner, I'm cautiously optimistic. Goff doesn't need to be elite, just competent.

That said, Watkins may end up disappointed with his target volume. The D-Jax role in McVay's offense averaged about 100 targets per 16 games. That's about a 6 target per week average. With Cooper Kupp coming on strong, McVay reportedly excited about using Gurley more as a pass-catcher, and optimism regarding the Everett/Higbee TE tandem's potential, Watkins will probably need to get zen about sharing, and focus on making big plays vertically with fewer targets. Which I think he can do, of course.
He hasn't really been about sharing in the past. Quite the opposite, actually.
Guys can change, though

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:52 pm

Not sure what all has been said previous so apologies if I'm repeating what has been said.

I actually think Sammy to LA is good. I think it's a good change of scenery and something fresh.
I also think the warmer weather in LA will treat him well in terms of injuries as I always found as a player that when things were injured, they were easy to get loose and stay loose in warmer weather versus cold Buffalo type weather.

I think Goff and he can be a good thing in 17 and moving forward if he re-signs in LA. I personally think Goff will improve, maybe not to where we all think the #1 pick should be, but I do think he progresses beyond what he did last year.

I think it's very interesting that some people are basically burying Sammy for this trade, saying he is no worthless for 2017, yet some of those people are all of a sudden on the Cooper Kupp hype wagon.

I'm sorry, but if you think Kupp is more talented than Sammy please go away.
2nd, why would you downgrade Sammy but be jumping on this Kupp hype? They play on the same team with the same teammates in the same scheme, you can't hate the more talented one and love the less talented one just "because". Makes no sense.
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:19 pm

Valhalla wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:10 pm He hasn't really been about sharing in the past. Quite the opposite, actually.
Guys can change, though
You seem really hung up on that one statement from him, and I think you are reading it way out of context. I haven't heard a single comment from teammates or coaches about him being selfish or "me first".
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

StegosaurusRex
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby StegosaurusRex » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:47 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:01 am For the most part, I agree with some others that have posted that Watkins in LA seems to me, right now, more likely to be an upgrade than downgrade. If I'm an owner, I'm cautiously optimistic. Goff doesn't need to be elite, just competent.

I find all the "direct" comparisons to McVay's Washington offenses a bit odd. We all tout McVay as being a great offensive mind who will do great things to get the most out of his players, but then we assume Watkins will be relinquished to solely a vertical role (or at least D-Jax's more limited vertical role). McVay has never had someone of Watkins caliber or talent at his disposal, if we really think he is as great a coaching mind and a teacher of those around him, I would be surprised if Watkins was relinquished to such a limited aspect of his game. He should be a center piece of the passing game---don't think they make this trade solely for a vertical threat, there are much cheaper options out there for that. It may take a bit to get up to speed, but I believe we will see targets reflecting his talent sooner rather than later.
12-Player 0.5pt PPR 12 Man Keeper League
QB-2RB-3WR-TE-FLEX-K-DEF
--------
Allen
Chubb, Carson, Hunt, Burkhead, Ito Smith, Darwin Thompson, Mark Walton, Benny Snell
Nuk, Watkins, TY, DJ Moore, Chark, Westbrook, M. Williams, Cole Beasley
Waller, Knox
--------