Stop calling Sammy Watkins a stud

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Sammy Watkins to Rams

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:45 pm

Shcritters wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:42 pm I guess I am surprised that people aren't more down on this for Watkins than what has been posted. The first thing that went through my head as a Watkins owner when I saw this was a four letter word. If healthy I thought Watkins had WR6-10 written all over him for this year... now not so sure.

Also, I need to make a decision on McCoy. What do we think this does to his value?
In terms of getting the most out of his talent, I think Watkins is in a GREAT situation with Sean McVay. His system has been awesome for players who can get open quickly like DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon. Watkins is a better route runner than both. It's just too bad that Kirk Cousins isn't at QB and Jared Goff is. Maybe Goff improves, but as you said, Watkins definitely become more of a risk than a certainty after this trade because of Goff.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:48 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:36 am
Fantasyfanatic11 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:34 am Rams: Sammy, Woods and Tavon (Tavon the obvious choice for slot)
Kupp will start over Austin. Put me on record.

That the Rams were even trying to make Austin an outside-receiver is itself the red-flag that McVay doesn't really want him. Kupp has been awesome all offseason in training with the Rams and dueling directly with Trumaine Johnson, while Austin has been sidelined. Writing is on the wall.
The Tavon Austin contract extension was awful at the time and even worse now. I don't know how Les Snead still has a job. He has a $14M cap hit this season with $19M in dead money. The Rams guaranteed $28.5 million for a WR who's career high in yards is 509.

They can't release him without dead money until 2019. So, I think he'll still play but it'll have to be in the slot.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:50 pm

Shcritters wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:42 pm I guess I am surprised that people aren't more down on this for Watkins than what has been posted. The first thing that went through my head as a Watkins owner when I saw this was a four letter word. If healthy I thought Watkins had WR6-10 written all over him for this year... now not so sure.

Also, I need to make a decision on McCoy. What do we think this does to his value?
Mccoy had a great year last year without Sammy. I think his combo of age and decent risk of missing a couple games, limits his ceiling. Having a mobile qb and a prettt good line along with his receiving chops gives hkm a good floor. Gilislee poached a decent amount more than I think Williams will out of the gate too. Just a hunch on that and maybe teams really do figure out a way to force Buffalo to throw, but their receivers are better with JMatt, Q, and Zay compared to Woods, Goodwin, and whoever.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:25 am

after reading through this thread i'm starting to think alot of you still think fisher is the hc and boras is the oc for the rams. throw everything you saw from last season out the window. worst offense in the history of the nfl. worst coaches in the nfl. just blot it out.

cweds
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby cweds » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:04 am

As a Watkins owner my gut reaction was :wall: but I dug into the numbers a little bit and I think it's a fine situation. In Britt's 5 full games with Goff at QB (week 10-14) he averaged 58.8 Y/G and 0.4 TD/G. Paced for a 16 game season that would work out to 941 yards and 6 TD's. This would be a disappointing season for Watkins but I think we can agree he's a lot more talented than Britt.

Between the talent gap, new coaching staff, O-line/skill position additions and (hopefully some) improvement from Goff I don't think a ~1200 and ~7 TD season is out of question at all. Maybe it's a more gradual "breakout" but I still see the potential for stud status.
Team 1 (3rd Season):
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr
Start QB,2RB,2WR,TE,FLEX
24 Man Active Roster
QB: Wilson, Wentz
RB: Freeman, D. Cook, Jamal Williams, Carson, AP, Lindsay, RJ
WR: Adams, T. Hill, Thielen, M. Bryant, Golladay, Trequan Smith, Pettis, MVS, J'mon Moore, C. Williams
TE: Olsen, Gescicki, Ebron, J. Smith
2019: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th

Team 2 (2nd season):
12 team 4pt Pass TDs/.5ppr
Start QB,2RB,2WR,TE,3FLEX
25 Man Active Roster/3 IR spots
QB: Mariota, Roethlisberger, Trubisky
RB: DJ, Guice, Penny, Royce Freeman, Conner, Carson, Kelly, Dixon, Morris
WR: Allen, JJSS, Landry, Robinson, Watkins, Godwin, Callaway, Allison, Doctson, J. Moore, MVS
TE: Kelce, Njoku

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:19 pm

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:25 am after reading through this thread i'm starting to think alot of you still think fisher is the hc and boras is the oc for the rams. throw everything you saw from last season out the window. worst offense in the history of the nfl. worst coaches in the nfl. just blot it out.
My gut says their pessimism really stems from thinking Goff is still the QB.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:20 pm

Dynasty24 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:04 am As a Watkins owner my gut reaction was :wall: but I dug into the numbers a little bit and I think it's a fine situation. In Britt's 5 full games with Goff at QB (week 10-14) he averaged 58.8 Y/G and 0.4 TD/G. Paced for a 16 game season that would work out to 941 yards and 6 TD's. This would be a disappointing season for Watkins but I think we can agree he's a lot more talented than Britt.

Between the talent gap, new coaching staff, O-line/skill position additions and (hopefully some) improvement from Goff I don't think a ~1200 and ~7 TD season is out of question at all. Maybe it's a more gradual "breakout" but I still see the potential for stud status.
Good post and solid predictions. His situation is only a minor downgrade IMO. This is only a distraction from what should be people's biggest concern with Watkins: injuries.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:01 pm

It hinges on Goff and the O-line. If he can actually look more like the guy on his college film this year, as opposed to the confidence-bereft, terrified rookie he looked like last year, this trade will be an upgrade for Watkins by '18. Assuming he can stay healthy. Which is an issue with Sammy regardless of where he's playing.

I thought Cousins was a waste of time for Washington back in '14. He consistently made bad decisions, and was inaccurate. Then McVay turned Cousins into a guy getting franchise-tagged two consecutive off-seasons. Cousins was a lot less talented coming out of college than Goff, so there's reason for cautious optimism.

Pieces are in place for this Rams offense to transform. Aside from Watkins and Gurley, Kupp could be legitimately special, and the TE tandem of Everett/Higbee has promise. If the Rams can get their O-line respectable, and remind Goff that he's supposed to be a 1.1 draft pick, this is a young nucleus on offense that can be good for a long time.
ImaRounder wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:34 pm To compare Sammy to Garcon, DJax to Tavon, and Crowder to Kupp, is insulting to each of them. The only thing that any of those pairs have in common are their position.
Only the Jackson to Tavon comparison is insulting, actually.

Regardless, Watkins will be playing the DeSean role in McVay's offense. McVay's said so himself.

And throw shade at Cooper Kupp at your peril.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

theone
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby theone » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:57 pm

The main reason I am not significantly downgrading Watkins this season is his likely increased target load. It is much higher with the Rams than was ever going to be possible in BUF with Tyrod as the QB. Long term outlook does not really change given his contract.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:39 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:19 pm
Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:25 am after reading through this thread i'm starting to think alot of you still think fisher is the hc and boras is the oc for the rams. throw everything you saw from last season out the window. worst offense in the history of the nfl. worst coaches in the nfl. just blot it out.
My gut says their pessimism really stems from thinking Goff is still the QB.
what they should be thinking is goff's only coaching at nfl level last season came from jeff fisher, rob boras and chris weinke. in an offense created by rob boras under the watchful eyes of jeff fisher. an offense apparently so difficult to learn yet so easy to predict for opposing dcs.

what did they think was gonna happen?

Igwebuike 4 Prez
Starter
Starter

Postby Igwebuike 4 Prez » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:32 pm

Watkins is joining the Rams less than a month before the start of the season. Since the starters aren't likely to play much, if at all in the last preseason game, he has 2 games to get on the same page with Goff WITH a rebuilt o-line.

The guy is too talented not to flash big play ability but you have to be operating on more hope than reality not to downgrade him at least some.

pjoner
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby pjoner » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:46 am

I received an offer of Crowder and a 2018 1st for my Watkins share, does not feel like enough...

Owner has Pryor as well, I was considering countering Pryor and a first...

Thoughts?

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:54 am

If I could get Pryor and a 1st for Sammy I'd be all over that

A-train
Starter
Starter

Postby A-train » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:25 pm

I got offered Blount and Moncrief for Watkins but I'm not a fan of either of those players.
Team 1: France Les Bleus: 20 team .5 ppr dynasty league. Starters in Bold
QB: Andrew Luck, Marcus Mariota
RB: Ezekiel Elliot, Alex Collins, D'onta Foreman, Chris Carson, James White, Kenneth Dixon
WR: Mike Williams, Chris Godwin, DJ Moore, Laquon Treadwell, Taywan Taylor, Josh Malone
TE: Eric Ebron, Hunter Henry, Adam Shaheen
D/ST: Patriots, Saints

Team 2: New England Patriots: 24 Team standard league. Starters in Bold
QB: Patrick Mahommes, Josh Rosen
RB: Royce Freeman, Nick Chubb, Phillip Lindsay, Derius Guice, Melvin Gordon
WR: DJ Moore, Courtland Sutton, DJ Chark, Desean Hamilton, Laquon Treadwell, Equanimous St. Brown, James Washington
TE: Gerald Everett, Adam Shaheen, Hunter Henry
Def: Titans

PingPwng
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PingPwng » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:38 pm

A-train wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:25 pm I got offered Blount and Moncrief for Watkins but I'm not a fan of either of those players.
Terrible offer in the first place.
Waiver Warriors|12 Teams|1PPR|1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1FLEX/1K/1DEF Roster 21 '14 R/U '17 Champ No '18 picks
QB:C. Newton/J. Goff
RB:T. Gurley/L. Bell NA/M. Mack/J. Mixon/S. Michel/K. Drake/R. Penny
WR:M. Evans/O. Beckham/T. Hill/ T. Boyd/A. Robinson/C. Godwin/D. Westbrook/A. Callaway
TE: I. Thomas/C. Brate/H. Henry (IR) K - M. Prater DEF - CHI