How to rebuild

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Re: How do you rebuild?

Postby Chris_R » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:53 pm

gausec wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:38 pm

I've seen a few post saying win the waiver wire, what is your advice to win the wire. We are in a FABB wavier wire, with 30 man rosters. I had intially thought the wire wouldn't have any talent however I did claim Wheaton by dropping Bohringer.
Essentially just be active and stay on top of news. Don't wait until someone has already gotten too much press, on a bad team you likely have room to add players at will and not worry about who to drop. Maybe a guy like Chester Rogers for the Colts. Hasn't made too much noise yet but he may be the #3 guy in a good offense and 1 injury makes him valuable in a hurry. I picked up Taylor Gabriel off waivers last year and in some leagues got a 2nd, others still have him. You'll get a lot of duds but you didn't have many picks so you need all the help you can get. Our waivers is open all summer so I'll add guys for 0$ bids to see how camp shakes out.

And during the season you can't afford to snooze. I signed up for football guys email list, it's free and they have lots of tidbits compiled to condense the information for you. If you get someone and their value starts to increase I always look to move them for a pick. Sure yiu have tines where you sell an Alfred Morris too cheap too soon but more then likely you'll win your fair share that way. No real specifics involved other then being active. Allen Hurns was another guy who people kind of slept on until it was too late, and now his value has bottomed back out again. If you can find just a couple guys like that a year consider it a win. There will always be a couple big injury adds nobody saw coming, just have to hope you allocated your funds and know when to strike.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:00 pm

I would be proactive on the waiver wire. If there is an injury, think of who could get an opportunity to shine because of that injury and grab em. If they do well, great, if not you can just drop them always. Staying ahead of the game like that prevents the bidding game that would occur should the player have a great game or flashes a bit with the opportunity given. Then you can step in and sell to the highest bidder or hold on to the player if it's good for the rebuild.

Also, pay attention to local buzz coming from local reporters before the season starts. It was how I was able to grab Tyrell Williams before the season last year.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:25 pm

gausec wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:06 pm
So far I have traded for younger players, by trading my vets (AJ Green, D. Henry and Olsen for Ty, and Gurley (please come back to rookie form)) and trading my draft picks I had owned for future picks.
Well, for starters I would advise against paying a premium to acquire a WR masquerading as a RB.

To answer your original question, you sell off the pieces of your team that won't be helping you win once you finally field a decent roster. So AJG could be a hold if you couldn't get proper value, however an older vet like Greg Olsen would be a more pressing sell.

Some say Rb's are the last piece you should add, however the worst team in one of my leagues earned the 1.01 and added Zeke and actually won the championship last year. So it can go both ways I suppose. You don't want to waste the few prime years of an RB while your team stinks, however hitting on an Rb can probably provide the quickest turnaround for your team.

gausec
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby gausec » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:29 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! Chris I'll have to look into signing up for football guys, and Krammer I'll have to check out the beat guys. I know one of my buddies swears by this and got Marquis Lee last year off the waiver wire which he turned into a 2nd.
12 team, 1PPR: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, Flex, Flex
QB: Brees, Smith, Bortles,
RB: Zeke, Freeman, Buck Allen, Duke, Burkehead, D. Lewis, A. Peterson, C. Grant, Blount
WR: Hilton, Thielen, G. Tate, Edelman, Fuller, Cobb, R. Matthews, C. Meredith, Ginn, Amendola, Pryor, Hurns, J. Matthews
TE: Kittle, Eifert, Brate, McDonald, J. James
IR: K. Dixon, Jermey Hill

2019 Picks: 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th
2020 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 5th

gausec
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby gausec » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:31 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:25 pm
So far I have traded for younger players, by trading my vets (AJ Green, D. Henry and Olsen for Ty, and Gurley (please come back to rookie form)) and trading my draft picks I had owned for future picks.
Well, for starters I would advise against paying a premium to acquire a WR masquerading as a RB.

To answer your original question, you sell off the pieces of your team that won't be helping you win once you finally field a decent roster. So AJG could be a hold if you couldn't get proper value, however an older vet like Greg Olsen would be a more pressing sell.

Some say Rb's are the last piece you should add, however the worst team in one of my leagues earned the 1.01 and added Zeke and actually won the championship last year. So it can go both ways I suppose. You don't want to waste the few prime years of an RB while your team stinks, however hitting on an Rb can probably provide the quickest turnaround for your team.
Sorry when I said Ty I meant Ty Hilton, to me I think he is just as talented as Green. Green is a monster but for me to possibly land a top dynasty player in Gurley/Ty I couldn't afford not to IMO.
RB: Zeke, Freeman, Buck Allen, Duke, Burkehead, D. Lewis, A. Peterson, C. Grant, Blount
WR: Hilton, Thielen, G. Tate, Edelman, Fuller, Cobb, R. Matthews, C. Meredith, Ginn, Amendola, Pryor, Hurns, J. Matthews

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:57 pm

That trade was a good start imo.
I rarely go full rebuild tear down unless the team is horribly tragic. The 1.01 rarely helps as much as you have to bleed out to make sure you get it.
Then just buy guys that are being unfairly devalued by the community or more specifically your league. Flip guys quickly if you can but don't sell for the sake of selling...get something worth the production value. Good producers often continue to produce so opportunities to sell come around more than once.
In short be patient and do your due diligence
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

hammertoes
Role Player
Role Player

Postby hammertoes » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:04 am

Think of every injury or suspension as an opportunity to buy. Last year in my rebuild I was able to trade lesser talents for Sammy Watkins and Keenan Allen, and pick up Martavis off the waiver wire.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:28 am

gausec wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:31 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:25 pm

Sorry when I said Ty I meant Ty Hilton, to me I think he is just as talented as Green. Green is a monster but for me to possibly land a top dynasty player in Gurley/Ty I couldn't afford not to IMO.
Ah ok

akbfrosty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby akbfrosty » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:52 am

I'm not a huge fan of the 3 for 2 swap when you're rebuilding. You probably won on value with that trade, but it's by no means a rebuilding move. If you're team is actually in need of a rebuild, I think a move like that can land you in the middle of the pack more often than not. Looking at just this next year for scoring, you probably come out even in that trade with the only youth being gained as a RB.

In general, during a rebuild, I like to gain as many mid-level, young assets as I can. Rather than that 3 for 2, I would've been looking to sell Green in a 1 for 3 for youth/picks, held on to Henry as he's one of the better rebuilding assets in my opinion (not scoring points with future upside is ideal for rebuilds), and traded Olsen for the best offer.

Additionally, I target first round picks from teams who have a lack of depth but a good starting lineup on paper. Those owners tend to undervalue their future firsts in my experience, which can hopefully lead to top 6 picks for cheap.

Good luck with the rebuild!

Bucky15
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Bucky15 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:13 am

I think your trade was a great start. I'd take Hilton over Green in a heartbeat in dynasty. Gurley is worthy as well because he should be a good bet that his 2nd year was his outlier performance and not his rookie year. The Rams offense only has one direction to go, and that's up.
12 Team 20 Roster Spots & 5 IR 1/2 PPR Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex

Team 1
Mahomes, Stafford
A. Jones, Guice, RoJo, Hyde, Edwards, Gio, C. Thompson, Dixon, CJA, J. Jackson
MT, Diggs, Cooks, G. Tate, MVS, Smokey Brown, Goodwin
Ertz, Burton, Herndon

1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

12 Team 20 Roster Spots & 5 IR 1/2 PPR Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex

Team 2
Luck, Dalton
Kamara, Michel, D. Henry, T. Coleman, Brieda, Foreman, Dixon
OBJ, MT, JuJu, A-Rob, Kirk, D. Hamilton, Crowder, T Smith (NO)
Howard, Ebron, Rudolph

1.8, 2.8, 4.8
1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:30 am

If you had Green Henry and Olsen I doubt your team was that awful... try a team in 2010 with Matt Leinart, Marion Barber, Fred Jackson, and Johnny Knox as your most talented players and no 1st or 2nd round rookie picks. Took me 5 years before I even had a winning season. I say this because if your team is truly talentless, spread and grab upside across your roster in any means possible. I think you should post your roster unless you did already and I'm not seeing it and what's there on waivers for you to grab.
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:01 am

i'll agree with not trading 3 for 2 to begin things....i want to get as many pieces as possible, not consolidate. i'll even go as far as to say that you lost that trade imo. especially in a rebuild. i also think you bought high on hilton, and the potential is there for you to be chasing (as skip mentioned above) with both he and gurley. i also think henry could very easily be a top 25-30 pick next year (possibly top 25). the deal is done though...so move on. id probably be looking to sell them if they are all you have. (which im assuming)...or you would have never made that trade. i dont mind those two as players....but if giving green, henry, olsen, you should have gotten much more than that imo if you were selling to rebuild. that was a consolidation trade, not a rebuild.

a general rule of thumb...do not trade your own future 1st rd picks. there's a reason others want them....your rebuilding. they should be pretty solid 1st rd picks. there are certainly instances where you can pounce....but do so with caution, and be patient if things dont pan out right away. ive seen several owners give a few future 1st's for some pretty big names last offseason, only to move said player for a single 1st this year. of course your nuk or allen robinson may bust....but to exchange them for rookie pick isnt really winning in the grand scheme of things....perhaps these owners should have either kept their picks or been a little more patient. patience is key in your rebuild.

most important....own the guys you like! i know this sounds really simple, but its much easier to build around the players that you like. its key to have a plan in our game. its a whole lot easier to stick to the plan if you own the guys that you like. you can always fill your team needs with missing pieces if you have a core. you can also look to buy cheap on players aswell. treadwell mentioned earlier was a great example. if you like him...now is the time to buy. we can list players all day who ended up being valuable that were once worth pennies. i would not be afraid to offer 3rds on back for these types of guys.

another important factor is assessing yourself. are you the type of owner that wants to compete every year? are you ok with losing for 3-5 years? a self assessment will tell you alot about how you should approach a rebuild imo. i personally have several teams...so play a rebuild both ways. Im also of the opinion that if you can make the playoffs....you have just as good a chance as any on winning the whole damn thing. that leads me to trading for vets rather than building around rookies in most instances.

gausec
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby gausec » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:00 pm

Just because it was asked I'll post my roster, however I still want to hear what your thoughts are on how to rebuild, I would of course take any feedback you guys have but hearing how you guys handle it helps. For example I have seen some say I lost that trade when I personally thought I won easily. I have never been in a rebuild before however so hearing other perspectives helps!

League starts QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, Flex

Here is my roster:
Palmer, Carson ARI QB
Tannehill, Ryan MIA QB
Barber, Peyton
Burkhead, Rex NEP RB
Clement, Corey PHI RB
Gurley, Todd LAR RB
Hyde, Carlos SFO RB (Q)
Johnson, Duke CLE RB
Langford, Jeremy CHI RB
West, Charcandrick KCC RB
Benjamin, Kelvin CAR WR
Bryant, Martavis PIT WR
Chesson, Jehu KCC WR
Cobb, Randall GBP WR
Coleman, Corey CLE WR (Q)
Cruz, Victor CHI WR
Fuller, Will HOU WR
Goodwin, Marquise SFO WR
Henderson, Carlos DEN WR -
Hilton, T.Y. IND WR (Q)
Hurns, Allen JAC WR
Louis, Ricardo CLE WR
Meredith, Cameron CHI WR (Q)
Wheaton, Markus CHI WR (Q)
DeValve, Seth CLE TE
Eifert, Tyler CIN TE (Q)
Gates, Antonio LAC TE
Kittle, George SFO TE -
McDonald, Vance SFO TE (Q)
Rivera, Mychal JAC TE

grooner
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby grooner » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:51 am

I would look to move Gurley for multiple pieces while he still holds tremendous value.

I would also explore what you can get for Hilton, if you can get multiple firsts or multiple valuable pieces I would do that.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:53 am

grooner wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:51 am I would look to move Gurley for multiple pieces while he still holds tremendous value.

I would also explore what you can get for Hilton, if you can get multiple firsts or multiple valuable pieces I would do that.
Why?
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)