Jobs

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Jobs

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:15 pm

cowboysfan wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 4:43 pm I'm an academic advisor at a community college. I like my job a lot and have three degrees...but so what. I also have a large amount of college debt that will probably never get paid. Imo college is not worth it. I would gladly hand my degrees and debt back to where it all came from for a lesser job. College can be very overrated and is definitely over priced. My job requires a masters degree but in all honesty, an employee at a dollar general store could do what I do.
I appreciate the honesty! My dad and oldest brother are both financial advisors/retirement planners who work for themselves. They guide millions of dollars and map out the futures of some of the most influential people in the state, and yet, no degree is required to do what they do.

My brother got his degree in biochemistry because he originally wanted to get into medicine, so he has a degree but doesn't use it!
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

jnappy
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jnappy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:29 pm

I'm 25, I've been married for three years, and no kids yet. I work for myself in an electronics buyback and repair business I started with a buddy in college. We've been doing it now for three years full-time and I love every second of it because of the autonomy and flexibility it allows. I have a BS in Industrial Engineering, but I hardly use anything I learned in school day-to-day outside of Excel. I agree with what a lot of people have said - I don't think college should be viewed as such a requirement ESPECIALLY if it means taking out debt. If you know what you want to do, and it truly requires a degree, work through school to pay for it yourself and take out as little debt as possible. Working your butt off for 4-5 years to get out with no debt will be well worth it in the future. If you don't know for sure what you want to do, I'd put off college and get jobs in fields you think you might be interested in, and who knows, maybe you'll find something you love where you don't need a degree.
[Team 1] 2015 - 6th | 2016 - 12th | 2017 - 3rd | 2018 - 1st! | 2019 - 3rd | 2020 - 5th
Hometown league
Jimmy GQ
32 team full PPR/IDP - 1TMQB/1RB/1WR/1TE/1FLEX/1TMPK/1DL/1LB/1DB
TMQB: 49ers
RB: Kamara, DJ, Hines, JJack
WR: ARob, Mooney, Myers, JGrant
TE: Goedert, Kroft, Keene
TMPK: 49ers
DL: JPP
LB: Oluokun, Shaq Thompson
DB: Poyer
2021 picks: 1.26, 2.26, 3.26
2022 picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:57 pm

jnappy wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:29 pm I'm 25, I've been married for three years, and no kids yet. I work for myself in an electronics buyback and repair business I started with a buddy in college. We've been doing it now for three years full-time and I love every second of it because of the autonomy and flexibility it allows. I have a BS in Industrial Engineering, but I hardly use anything I learned in school day-to-day outside of Excel. I agree with what a lot of people have said - I don't think college should be viewed as such a requirement ESPECIALLY if it means taking out debt. If you know what you want to do, and it truly requires a degree, work through school to pay for it yourself and take out as little debt as possible. Working your butt off for 4-5 years to get out with no debt will be well worth it in the future. If you don't know for sure what you want to do, I'd put off college and get jobs in fields you think you might be interested in, and who knows, maybe you'll find something you love where you don't need a degree.
I love this whole post so much!

And mad props to you for starting your own business! That's awesome.
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
KITTLE, Goedert
/
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
/
R WILSON, Minshew
KELCE, Schultz
/
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
LAPORTA

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:23 am

That isn't surprising, Nappy. IOE majors (In Out Easy/ Industrial Operation Engineers) don't learn much in college anyway :P

I am an automotive engineer for a Japanese company, with a BS in mechanical engineering. My job is not very exciting or fulfilling; in fact, it is boring most of the time, but it is a steady paycheck for me and my family and takes us to interesting places around the world. So while I am not passionate about my job, I do it well in order to fund the things I am passionate about :D

I agree with most that college isn't for everyone, and you shouldn't go into debt until you really know what you want to do and have a plan to do it. That said, having a Bachelor's in something opens a lot of doors for you, even if it doesn't provide you as much applicable knowledge as it could. As just one example, you could get a decent paying job in Japan or another country teaching English with any Bachelor's degree, and could have an awesome experience of living overseas for a little while as you figure out your career path after school. So while you shouldn't rush into debt, I think it is a great idea to get as many college credits as you can for free or cheaply when available (e.g. AP courses, scholarships, CLEP tests, etc.). You may never use them, but they may open a door to something perfect for you.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:37 am

jtd1387 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:23 amI agree with most that college isn't for everyone, and you shouldn't go into debt until you really know what you want to do and have a plan to do it. That said, having a Bachelor's in something opens a lot of doors for you, even if it doesn't provide you as much applicable knowledge as it could. As just one example, you could get a decent paying job in Japan or another country teaching English with any Bachelor's degree, and could have an awesome experience of living overseas for a little while as you figure out your career path after school. So while you shouldn't rush into debt, I think it is a great idea to get as many college credits as you can for free or cheaply when available (e.g. AP courses, scholarships, CLEP tests, etc.). You may never use them, but they may open a door to something perfect for you.
Really good point, and well-said.
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
KITTLE, Goedert
/
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
/
R WILSON, Minshew
KELCE, Schultz
/
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
LAPORTA

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:34 pm

40 years old, service/installations manager for a design Firm. Married with 2 kids, Worked my way through university in the trades, and loved working with my hands. My uni degree (geography and minor in economics) helped me get off the shop floor -> lead hand, shop foreman, production manager then vice president before i left the company and went back to building cabinets again (then into this role). The job i started 20 plus years ago is obsolete due to technology but being able to diagnose a problem, coming up with multiple solutions , developing and implementing the right solution, and seeing it get done were concepts started in university, and backed up by my experience. I don't make the money i did as a vice president, i don't work the hours, i can turn off my phone, but the experience i got going through university allowed me to work my way off the floor, and to a better career. I never expect to be rolling in money, but not worried about paying next months bills, nor about finding another place of employment either (if i have to).
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

nyterp
Starter
Starter

Postby nyterp » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:15 am

34 years old with a 14 month old son. Currently a court social worker. I do evaluations of potentially mentally ill defendants to try to get them out of jail and into treatment. BA in Criminology and Criminal Justice, BA in Psychology, MSW in Social Work. When I was looking at colleges I wanted to be an architect and I only looked at schools with good architecture programs. Lasted about 5 or 6 weeks into the first semester and realized I no longer wanted to be an architect. I was fortunate that I landed was at a school with one of the top CCJS programs in the country and the switch was easy. I think I read the average person switches majors something like 2.7 times, so most people/kids have no idea what they want to do when they start college. I was lucky that I could make the switch and still get the two degrees in 4 years because school always came easy to me, but if I couldn't it would have resulted in a lot more debt (parents helped out a ton and worked some so I had very little debt when I graduated). Got the MSW paid for (and the wife got her doctoral degree paid for as well), but it took us years to pay off her undergrad loans. I am thrilled where I am now, but it took a few jobs to get here. The wife and I often play the game of what would we study now if we could go back and do it again. I think I would do the same thing because I am happy with the eventual outcome, but in all seriousness I don't think I learned a ton in either undergrad or grad school. Continuing education and real life experience have been much more helpful.
rosterwars.forumotion.com - IDP/Contract league discussion board. Come check us out!

IDP/Contract - Charm City Justice

Superflex - Chernobyl Toxins

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:28 am

I like this thread. Great community here. I'm 36 been married for 13. Five kids ages 4,6,8,11,12. I've been in electrical construction since I was 19. Got into one of the strongest union shops in the country at age 21 and have been incredibly blessed to have stayed the course there. I went to Purdue at age 17 to pursue a career in contracting, but opted out after one $3,000 semester (after grants).... best decision in my life at that point. Getting straight to work in a trade allowed me to buy a fixer-upper first home at age 19. This attracted many willing (non-college) girls. I set my sights on the most beautiful and debt-free mate I'd ever seen. I just bought her a pair of big jugs for her 13 good years of service.

I know it's not for everyone, but working with your hands is probably the most rewarding career a man can have. It is a learned skill and takes some time to hone, but it's definitely not going out of style. I would really recommend a union trade school if you are under the age of 30 and find that college is not for you. I enjoy the benefits of a very competitive wage, gold-standard health insurance for my wife and kids, a pension, and an IRA. I also have a keen sense of belonging to a brotherhood of 1,000 other like-minded family men in my little corner of Indiana (Chicagoland). I am proud to be a part of the most-skilled and dedicated labor force in the world, and I owe it all to my local union.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

slacker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby slacker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:00 pm

I'm 50 yrs old and currently stay at home dad. After fixing fighter jets for 4 years in the Air Force I got a degree in Theology. Wanted to be a missionary but health issues forced my resignation. Have been in retail (ugh), plumbing, sawmill manager, and Information Technology. Got married 7 year ago to a woman with a PhD that is a scientist in the food industry. She asked me to put my career on hold while she pursued hers and since she has tons more earning power than I do it works out well. What I plan on telling my kids is that only about half the people with college degrees end up doing what they went to college for and while you can make better money, if you have to go into a ton of debt to get the degree you might be better off choosing another path. Personally I think the best bang for the buck is in the trades. If you are young and can hustle you can usually find an apprentice job at a place that will pay for your schooling. Once you are licensed you can either work for the man or start your own business and (hopefully) make the big bucks. I have relatives in the trades with their own businesses that I know are pulling down well into six figures. Jobs in the trades are extremely mobile as well. If you want to move to a different part of country you can always find a job as a plumber/electrician/builder.
12 team PPR, 22 Roster, QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 FLEX, K, DEF
Rivers, Eli
Watkins, Evans, Keenan, Hopkins, Pryor, R. Matthews, Marshall, P. Richardson, CPatt
McCoy, Zeke, Rawls, Ware
Gronk, Njoku, Butt, Everette, Higbee

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:13 pm

42, married with 2 kids. I work for a fortune 500 company as a national account rep. No degree means no interview with my company. Not saying college is for everybody, but you 100% limit your career aspirations in many fields without a degree.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Dodo
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Dodo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:06 pm

I am 26, no married and work in small company as civil engineer in Croatia

zoster80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby zoster80 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:43 am

I'm 37, married 4, have 3 boys under the age of 5. Been playing fantasy football for 17 years. I work at a university in Miami. Where I've worked in IT doing server administration for past 13 years. I also work there as an adjunct professor for international business.

Because of working in academia, my career path has gone differently than I would have ever expected. I have a Bachelors in MIS and I got a dual degree Masters (in international business and business administration). I am in a lot of debt, but the they have paid them selves back by how much more money I've made because of my masters. I feel like I have many more opportunities because of the the education I have and really there is no investment that is better and investing in your self. Don't be scared of the debt. There are plans to make the payments work with your income and some that will forgive it entirely if you make payments for a certain amount of years.

I actually am considering going back to either do a DBA or phd and get deeper into teaching as it is a great job that makes 6 figures and now with online learning you can do it from anywhere. It keeps you young, I teach a discussion course so just bs with students and we talk about current events in international business arena.

The best part is that you will have lots of pride in being able to achieve something that not everyone has done. This will give your children something to look up to and want to achieve as well. I am not advocating that getting a college education is the only way to go. I have many friends and family that didn't finish and have successful lives. And if my kids didn't finish, but are productive people in society, I'm all about that.
Zo Nasty -12 Teams, PPR, 30 players - Keep 24
Start QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex, K, DST

QB: Herbert, B Young
RB: Bijan, Warren, Z Moss, K Ingram, J kelley
WR: D London, Z Flowers, JSN, J Reed, QJ G Davis, Gallup, DPJ, M Mims, J Metchie, W Robinson, J Tolbert, J Jennings
TE: J Ferguson Fant, J Johnson, Gesicki
DST: Colts NE
K: Butker

2024 Picks
2025 Picks

QB: Burrow Dobbs, R Wilson, Stidham, Carr,
RB: CMC, Hall, K Walker, Swift, M Sanders M Carter, K Gainwell, CEH, Hunt, C Evans, E Wilson, P Taylor, D Johnson,
WR: DJM, Metcalf, AJ Brown, Hopkins, M Gallup, Chark, T Scott, P Washington, G Dortch, J Watson, R Woods
TE: M Andrews, Fant , Hudson, Higbee, L Thomas, J Johnson,
DST: SF, PHI

TAXI:
C Jones, B Strange, J Shorter, W Levis
2024 Picks
4.11,5.11,6.05, 6.11[/size]
2025 Picks
2026 Picks

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:42 pm

36 years old, been in a relationship for 10ish years, kinda engaged. Neither of us want kids (thank god). I actually took a few years off between high school and college. One of those years was planned...I wanted to save up enough money waiting tables for a year that I could pay for my books, my car, etc...the other 4 years were not as my family house burned down. Since it was just me and my mom I didn't feel right abandoning her so I was going to take another year off until we rebuilt, but then I got promoted, got comfortable and was making decent money managing a restaurant. I decided to go to college when I was 23. I graduated in 4 years from Pitt then got my Masters from Carnegie Mellon. My degrees are in Public Policy. I work for local government now, and have since I started for a city councilman as an intern about 10 years ago. I use zero of what I learned in college in the real world and all I have to show for it is debt. I make decent money and have great benefits, but sometimes I weigh whether it was worth it or not. My feeling is having a BA or BS is like having the password to a club...if you don't have the password you don't get in. If you don't have at least a 4 year degree in 2017 it is hard to break through the job market. I could do this job with what I learned in HS and from working in the restaurant business for a couple of years, but I wouldn't have even been interviewed without a degree next to my name. There are plenty of laborer jobs you can get with just a HS diploma or even an associates degree, but they are becoming harder and harder to come by.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:29 pm

I'm 33, married with no kids (yet), and have been a cop for 12 years in the Dallas area. Worked as a patrol officer for a while, then patrol sergeant, then detective. I obtained an associate's degree but didn't pursue a BA once I realized it wouldn't help my career plan. I got in because it seemed like a fun thing to do for a living. Fortunately, our department offers very nice financial packages for what we do, so I never needed to consider a second career. My wife has her master's in social work, and makes about half of what I do as a licensed master social worker. You could flip our salaries though, and it still wouldn't matter because we both enjoy going to work (as much as someone could, I suppose), and that's all that really matters.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:41 pm

Ghosted wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:29 pm I'm 33, married with no kids (yet), and have been a cop for 12 years in the Dallas area. Worked as a patrol officer for a while, then patrol sergeant, then detective. I obtained an associate's degree but didn't pursue a BA once I realized it wouldn't help my career plan. I got in because it seemed like a fun thing to do for a living. Fortunately, our department offers very nice financial packages for what we do, so I never needed to consider a second career. My wife has her master's in social work, and makes about half of what I do as a licensed master social worker. You could flip our salaries though, and it still wouldn't matter because we both enjoy going to work (as much as someone could, I suppose), and that's all that really matters.
That's seriously awesome. I'm very thankful to be able to say the same thing.
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/