Jaelen Strong - You still holding on like me?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Jaelen Strong - You still holding on like me?

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 30, 2017 4:03 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 11:51 am Not at all but let's be realistic. Fuller and Nuk are going to be the top 2 for the foreseeable future. Then you got CJ at TE, plus it's a top 5 team in rushing volume. So he's at best the 4th/5th option. Factor in his already less than stellar two seasons, off field DUI, and competing with Braxton Miller, unless you have super deep rosters there are many better options.
Exactly.

It's possible Strong could oust Miller for the WR3 position, but that role on the Texans isn't going to yield fantasy relevance. Houston's passing offense isn't exactly New Orleans or Green Bay. If a league has really deep rosters, then I can see holding. Otherwise, he should be on the waiver wire.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue May 30, 2017 4:17 pm

Not sure why people are bullish on Fuller. Watson has some serious issues with mechanics and downfield accuracy. Combine that with Fuller's questionable hands and limited skill-set and I don't really see him carrying much value.

At least Strong is effective in the mid-range and underneath game where I could see Watson excelling and he's got some upside. No idea what to make of Braxton at this point.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue May 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 11:51 am
RenMasters wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 3:59 am Wow it looks like everyone has given up. I guess the expectation that it takes 3 years to get a return on rookie WRs is out the window at this point. He's only played two years and his second year was cut short by injury.
Not at all but let's be realistic. Fuller and Nuk are going to be the top 2 for the foreseeable future. Then you got CJ at TE, plus it's a top 5 team in rushing volume. So he's at best the 4th/5th option. Factor in his already less than stellar two seasons, off field DUI, and competing with Braxton Miller, unless you have super deep rosters there are many better options.
To add to this, he didn't really do anything last year to show improvement that you would expect to see before a player breaks out their 3rd year. He's had opportunity and not being able to beat out a couple of rookies last year for playing time is very concerning. If anything, he probably regressed last year and missed the last 8 games of the season.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Tue May 30, 2017 4:20 pm

ericanadian wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 4:17 pm Not sure why people are bullish on Fuller. Watson has some serious issues with mechanics and downfield accuracy. Combine that with Fuller's questionable hands and limited skill-set and I don't really see him carrying much value.

At least Strong is effective in the mid-range and underneath game where I could see Watson excelling and he's got some upside. No idea what to make of Braxton at this point.
True about Watson but the problem is snaps/opportunity. Fuller won't come off the field for Strong even if Watson can't get him the ball.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 30, 2017 4:23 pm

ericanadian wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 4:17 pm Not sure why people are bullish on Fuller. Watson has some serious issues with mechanics and downfield accuracy. Combine that with Fuller's questionable hands and limited skill-set and I don't really see him carrying much value.

I'm not high on Fuller either, but unless he just completely DGB's it, there's no chance Strong is going to beat him out for WR2 duty. Plus, Fuller stretches the field and will create room for Hopkins and whatever TE they're trotting out.

RenMasters
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby RenMasters » Tue May 30, 2017 5:28 pm

The league I'm in is a 12 team PPR with 22 man rosters and an IR slot. On my roster now I would drop Travis Benjamin and Dion Lewis before dropping Strong. A big part of it for me obviously is the fact that I drafted Strong with the 2.1 in 2015 and don't want to give up already.

I agree with a lot of points everyone is making though. The circumstances for Strong aren't very positive right now, but I'm a believer in his talent. I just think he needs to be fed the ball for good stretch to prove he can sustain production. When you look at his stats he's had good production with the volume he got.

2015 (Rookie Year) - 58.3 completion percentage, 11.5 yards per reception, 3 TDs. - Who was the QB again?
2016 (Soph Year) - 58.3 completion percentage, 9.3 yards per reception, 0 TDs. - Who was the QB again?

I did a search for Strong news and got the below two comments that I think sum this up well.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1 ... exans-otas
I think all of Jaelen Strong’s situation is all based on his opportunities since arriving in Houston. A few things jump out in my mind with Strong as a receiver and the main one is the fact that when he touches the football good things happen. He is one of the more versatile receivers for the Texans due to his ability to play inside and outside of the formation. Last season was interesting because Strong did not show up on the stat sheet like most wanted to see. However, he was the only wide receiver that was willing to mix it up with defensive backs and linebackers in the run game. Watching film, we saw Strong spring a running back for extra yards due to Strong's willingness to block and it seemed after he went down with an ankle injury, the run game suffered some. Strong holds more value for this team than most realize and it would not be a surprise if his role continues to expand moving forward.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/texans-le ... 04689.html
Jaelen Strong has been a relative disappointment since arriving in Houston. Playing in 18 total games while only starting three. His combined numbers in his first two season in the league are not impressive whatsoever. 28 total receptions, 292 yards and three touchdowns, all three touchdowns came in his rookie season. At this point, one would have to believe the Texans coaching staff has seen everything Strong has to offer and attempting to figure out where his future lies with the team. If Strong wants to continue playing in Houston, he will have to have a breakout season. If not, it’s hard to imagine a scenario where he stays on the Texans roster.
Team Rebuilding - 12 Team PPR
QB (1) - A. Luck, D. Carr, R. Tannehill
RB (1-2) - T. Gurley, C. McCaffery, M. Breida, A. Ekeler, N. Hines, E. McGuire,
WR (3-4) - D. Adams, M.Evans, M. Jones, N. Agholor, M. Bryant, R. Grant, R Higgins
TE (1) - E. Engram, G. Everett, G. Olsen

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Wed May 31, 2017 8:08 am

RenMasters wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 5:28 pmThe circumstances for Strong aren't very positive right now, but I'm a believer in his talent. I just think he needs to be fed the ball for good stretch to prove he can sustain production.
Even if you think target volume will make Strong better, that's a big part of the problem...he's never going to be fed in HOU.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed May 31, 2017 9:42 am

Fuller will be a decoy a decent amount of the time. He'll drive owners nuts ala Torrey Smith, Ted Ginn and Mike Wallace.

Personally, with their lack of stability at TE I see a nice opportunity for Miller or Strong to step up as a chain mover opposite Hopkins while also moving into the slot.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed May 31, 2017 4:07 pm

The '16 season was Braxton Miller's second year playing the wide-receiver position at any point in his life. Even so, he still managed to pass Jaelen Strong on the depth-chart. This fact is probably just as much an indictment of Strong as it is praise for Miller.

There's not much reason to hold Jaelen Strong. He belongs on waiver-wires until there's legitimate reason to pluck him off of it. For now, Miller is the guy to stash here as the lottery ticket in this Houston passing-offense. Stashing Strong too is just collecting too many eggs from one basket, a 'basket' that isn't particularly promising in the first place. As of this point in time, it's questionable if the Texans even want to re-sign Strong next year.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

schiewerma21
All Pro
All Pro

Postby schiewerma21 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:44 pm

Ummmm no? I didn't know he was In the NFL
TEAM 1: 12 man PPR (.25 passing and rushing attempt) dynasty league
QB:Josh Allen, Matt Ryan, Zach Wilson
RB: Saquon Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, JK Dobbins, Najee Harris, Joe Mixon, Deandre Swift
WR: Tyreek Hill, Justin Jefferson, Deandre Hopkins, Chris Godwin, Jamaar Chase, Allen Robinson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Kyle Pitts, Hunter Henry

TEAM 2: 10 MAN Superflex. (standard PPR).
QB: Mahomes, Wilson, Stafford, Wentz, Jimmy G
RB: Mccaffrey, Zeke, Javonte, Akers, Jacobs, Edmonds, Henderson, Fournette, Pollard
WR: Adams, Michael Thomas, Keenan Allen, Aiyuk, Odell Beckham, Devonta Smith Julio,Shenault
TE: Travis Kelce, George Kittle

TEAM 3:10 MAN PPR (2 QUARTERBACK LEAGUE took over orphan 2016) Dynasty League
QB: Dak, Lamar, Tua, Winston, Bridgewater,
RB: Mccaffrey, Henry, Aaron Jones, Chubb, Mike Davis
WR: Aj Brown, Terry Mclaurin, Theilen, Godwin, Juedy, Sutton, Watkins, Davis, Crowder
TE: Waller, Engram, Geodtert
2021picks: 1.10,3.10

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:29 am

Cut Strong from my roster this week.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

RenMasters
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby RenMasters » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:30 pm

Yea, looks like I'm the only one giving him a roster spot.

Anyway... Will you send me a case of Heady Topper!?!?!?! I'll barter will a counter case of MI craft.
Team Rebuilding - 12 Team PPR
QB (1) - A. Luck, D. Carr, R. Tannehill
RB (1-2) - T. Gurley, C. McCaffery, M. Breida, A. Ekeler, N. Hines, E. McGuire,
WR (3-4) - D. Adams, M.Evans, M. Jones, N. Agholor, M. Bryant, R. Grant, R Higgins
TE (1) - E. Engram, G. Everett, G. Olsen

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:49 am

Strong is a watchlist guy to me if he still interests you. Not a guy to burn a roster spot on, but keep him on the list just in case so you can scoop him up if things fall in his favor.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:00 am

RenMasters wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:30 pm Yea, looks like I'm the only one giving him a roster spot.

Anyway... Will you send me a case of Heady Topper!?!?!?! I'll barter will a counter case of MI craft.
Nope I still own 10 shares of Strong with no plans to cut him (except for maybe 1 roster where he is WR #10). I think the Maclin release is a good reminder that anything can happen unexpectedly. Lots of people cut bait on Conley (he's still an FA in 4 of my leagues waiting for the next waiver run) and now he has value again. If you still believe in his potential, he is one roster spot away from relevance. However, if owners have other players they believe in more than Strong then obviously it makes sense for them to cut him.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:17 pm

Texans just released Jaelen Strong. I thought he'd be decent coming out of college, but if he can't hang on with the WR-needy Texans, he seems to likely be done.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker