Jay Ajayi value

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Jay Ajayi value

Postby Vcize » Thu May 18, 2017 5:54 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 4:04 pm I won't project him ahead of Bell or DJ even in my wildest dreams because he doesn't catch passes like they do
I agree it's not likely he suddenly catches 70 balls, but I don't think the above statement is necessarily accurate. Ajayi didn't catch passes like they do last year, I wouldn't necessarily say yet that he "doesn't".

Ajayi caught 50 passes in his final year at Boise. That is an insane number of receptions for a RB in college. Far more than Bell or Johnson ever caught in a season in college. More than Faulk ever caught, or Ray rice, or Reggie Bush, Theo Riddick, Christian McCaffrey, Ladainian Tomlinson, and on and on.

The only person I could find that even comes close is Steven Jackson, who caught 44 in a season.

He has the hands, they just need to decide to use him that way.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu May 18, 2017 6:00 pm

ericanadian wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:51 pm Foster was clearly brought in to supplant Ajayi.
Foster was brought in because Ajayi was dropping every pass thrown to him, and Drake was injured all offseason. And so Miami panicked. I'll grant you CJA, but bear in mind Gase and CJA were buddies in Denver, and that had more to do with Gase's pursuit of him than anything else.

But regardless, you're misreading what I said. I talked about the draft. I talked about what actions (or inaction, in this case) plainly infer about Miami's view of Ajayi's knee health. As I said, if it's a time-bomb, Miami would've done more than just give CJA an offer-sheet, sign a dead-legged veteran, draft an RB with a profile and college resume that screams lead-back incapable, play hard-ball with Damien Williams in restricted free-agency, and ignore the RB position completely in this year's draft. Miami has had ample opportunity to draft or sign young, workhorse capable insurance for Ajayi. They haven't. The implication, if we assume Gase and Miami's front-office are competent, is clear.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu May 18, 2017 7:52 pm

Vcize wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:54 pm
ninotoreS wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 4:04 pm I won't project him ahead of Bell or DJ even in my wildest dreams because he doesn't catch passes like they do
I agree it's not likely he suddenly catches 70 balls, but I don't think the above statement is necessarily accurate. Ajayi didn't catch passes like they do last year, I wouldn't necessarily say yet that he "doesn't".

Ajayi caught 50 passes in his final year at Boise. That is an insane number of receptions for a RB in college. Far more than Bell or Johnson ever caught in a season in college. More than Faulk ever caught, or Ray rice, or Reggie Bush, Theo Riddick, Christian McCaffrey, Ladainian Tomlinson, and on and on.

The only person I could find that even comes close is Steven Jackson, who caught 44 in a season.

He has the hands, they just need to decide to use him that way.
How about Jeremy McNichols with 51 at Boise the following year?

Also, Ajayi's reception total was a bit skewed that year by the 12 catch game against Ol' Miss. BSUs gameplan was to use swing pass to offset Mississippi's strong run defense. My memory is that it wasn't any display of amazing route running or hands. Just good game planning that Mississippi didn't adjust to well. Outside of that game, his receiving numbers were a tick better than Doug Martin or Ian Williams at Boise, and a tick below McNichols.

I do think Ajayi has more receiving ability than he showed last year, but I don't think he's going to come anywhere close to what Bell and DJ do.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri May 19, 2017 3:57 am

ninotoreS wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 6:00 pm
ericanadian wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:51 pm Foster was clearly brought in to supplant Ajayi.
Foster was brought in because Ajayi was dropping every pass thrown to him, and Drake was injured all offseason. And so Miami panicked. I'll grant you CJA, but bear in mind Gase and CJA were buddies in Denver, and that had more to do with Gase's pursuit of him than anything else.

But regardless, you're misreading what I said. I talked about the draft. I talked about what actions (or inaction, in this case) plainly infer about Miami's view of Ajayi's knee health. As I said, if it's a time-bomb, Miami would've done more than just give CJA an offer-sheet, sign a dead-legged veteran, draft an RB with a profile and college resume that screams lead-back incapable, play hard-ball with Damien Williams in restricted free-agency, and ignore the RB position completely in this year's draft. Miami has had ample opportunity to draft or sign young, workhorse capable insurance for Ajayi. They haven't. The implication, if we assume Gase and Miami's front-office are competent, is clear.
With Ajayi hurt in Wk1, Foster started the first game and had 87% of the snaps. In Wk2, Foster started and played the first ten snaps before going down with a groin injury at which point Ajayi took over. Foster was intended to be the starter in Miami, not just a passing down back.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Balzac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Balzac » Fri May 19, 2017 7:41 am

ericanadian wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 3:57 am

With Ajayi hurt in Wk1, Foster started the first game and had 87% of the snaps. In Wk2, Foster started and played the first ten snaps before going down with a groin injury at which point Ajayi took over. Foster was intended to be the starter in Miami, not just a passing down back.
For how long though? Even the dynasty community knew that Foster was on his last rope. You can't really think the Dolphins are that clueless to recent events to think Foster could carry a full load all season. They picked up a solid vet on the cheap to help them in the short term. Ajayi wasn't established yet so it was wise to load up a crew of RBs and see who shakes out.
10 Team TE Premium, Dynasty Year 6 - (1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 3FLEX, 1K, 1DEF)
http://www57.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... =07&F=0002

12 Team .5PPR, Dynasty Year 4 - (1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 3FLEX)
https://www66.myfantasyleague.com/2017/ ... =07&F=0011

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 am

I can't get any offers near that in my leagues for Ajayi...

Ajayi was sat for week 1 for pouting and not being a team guy. Kinda gave him a chip on his shoulder but Gase handled right. Team first and if he gets it now he could be very good or he may have lost the chip on his shoulder and may relax a little. I like the way he runs...kinda like Marshawn a little...angry and violent.

I am not worried about the knee because RB shelf life isn't long anyway
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Fri May 19, 2017 12:26 pm

Vcize wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:18 pm
Wasn't Eddie Lacy supposed to be retired by now?
Well he got injured and then ate himself out of the league once. I wouldn't be shocked if it happened again
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Fri May 19, 2017 3:04 pm

I just think he's going to have a fantastic year and be in the Bell and DJ atmosphere...
@PlankMelody

ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ImaRounder » Fri May 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Plank wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 3:04 pm I just think he's going to have a fantastic year and be in the Bell and DJ atmosphere...
Dang, that's the most optimistic take on Ajayi I've heard. Not going to argue one way or the other but I love that I don't see crap about his knees devaluing him anymore!

#HisKneesAreFine

Concept Coop
Starter
Starter

Postby Concept Coop » Sat May 20, 2017 11:30 am

Space Cowboy wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:07 pm 11 posts later it's about time someone mentions those balky knees that tons of teams scoffed at. The NFL is hardly ever wrong when it comes to medical red flags.
Except they were. His knee clearly wasn't bone on bone. The worry is that he MIGHT one day need microfracture surgery. Travis Kelce ACTUALLY HAD microfracture surgery--and I never hear about it. Odd.

Jay Ajayi is a better running back than Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon.

Concept Coop
Starter
Starter

Postby Concept Coop » Sat May 20, 2017 11:31 am

ericanadian wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 3:57 am

Can someone remind me who was intended to be the starter over Foster in Houston, orignially? I forgot. ;) (I know that wasn't your point. But it was fun.)

ETA: Ajayi was the starter at one point in the process, before they turned to Foster. Which is why he was upset.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat May 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Concept Coop wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 11:30 am
Space Cowboy wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:07 pm 11 posts later it's about time someone mentions those balky knees that tons of teams scoffed at. The NFL is hardly ever wrong when it comes to medical red flags.
Except they were. His knee clearly wasn't bone on bone. The worry is that he MIGHT one day need microfracture surgery. Travis Kelce ACTUALLY HAD microfracture surgery--and I never hear about it. Odd.
If you follow the NBA, Brandon Roy had a similar diagnosis. He was able to produce for about 4 years before his problems prevented him from playing. It's possible for Ajayi to still follow that path.

Concept Coop
Starter
Starter

Postby Concept Coop » Sat May 20, 2017 1:25 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:16 pm If you follow the NBA, Brandon Roy had a similar diagnosis. He was able to produce for about 4 years before his problems prevented him from playing. It's possible for Ajayi to still follow that path.
[/quote/]

There was never a diagnosis, to my understanding. There were rumors leading up to he draft, which Jay and his team denied. If you have a source suggesting a Brandon Roy situation--essentially no cartilage--I'd appreciate seeing seeing it.

ETA: No idea what's going on with the formatting. One open quote, one close quote.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sat May 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Concept Coop wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:25 pm ETA: No idea what's going on with the formatting. One open quote, one close quote.
You have an extra / in the close quote, so it doesn't see it as a close quote and hence the quote remains open.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Concept Coop
Starter
Starter

Postby Concept Coop » Sat May 20, 2017 2:00 pm

:oops:
Last edited by Concept Coop on Sat May 20, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.