Reuben Foster sliding perfectly into 2nd

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: Reuben Foster sliding perfectly into 2nd

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:10 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:18 pm Weed is scary. It is more attractive to some NFL players than millions of dollars.
Very few.

I have to think there's hundred of players lighting up a bit in the offseason, but evidently have no problem shelving their recreational use once the season -- and the tests -- start.

Alcohol is more physically addictive than marijuana. But we don't worry about an epidemic of alcoholism in players, do we?

And no, weed is not scary. At all. Pot isn't the real problem here.

Immature young men with no self control are scary.

Is Foster one such? I don't know. But I do know one diluted urine sample and a trivial verbal altercation makes for a pretty lean case for it.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:21 am

ninotoreS wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:10 am
lukkynumber13 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:18 pm Weed is scary. It is more attractive to some NFL players than millions of dollars.
Very few.

I have to think there's hundred of players lighting up a bit in the offseason, but evidently have no problem shelving their recreational use once the season -- and the tests -- start.

Alcohol is more physically addictive than marijuana. But we don't worry about an epidemic of alcoholism in players, do we?

And no, weed is not scary. At all. Pot isn't the real problem here.

Immature young men with no self control are scary.
I'm not arguing that marijuana itself is a scary part of the world we live in.

I'm saying, from a fantasy football perspective, a guy who's in the drug program is VERY scary. It's as much of a risk as a guy like Watkins or J. Reed who have loads of talent but we are always scared they will miss time.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:33 am

Alright. Yeah. I'll concede that just being in the de facto probationary 'program' itself is worrisome. How long is a first-time offender in the program?

Foster got knocked up a bit his first two seasons at Bama, I do wonder if he's used weed to help with injuries.

edit: According to this, if I'm reading it correctly, 'stage one' is only three months, and doesn't even feature random testing after August 9th. Meh. If I'm a GM, I won't pass on a potential cornerstone-of-the-defense kind of player just for that, assuming the rest of the vetting process checks out.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:45 am

Phaded wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:38 am LB is a huge need for the Raiders - if he was there when they are on the clock I would be thrilled with them picking him.
100% But CC has a valid point in that Bmore may snag him right away, so not sure he'd be there for us.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:51 am

I dont think he'll get that close to the second round. Have we already forgotten about Laremy Tunsil from just last year, the day of the draft and pics with the gas mask surface and he still went first round, granted LTs are harder to come by but I'll be surprised if Foster even falls past the top 20, jmo.
12 TEAM PPR 1QB 1/3RB 1/3WR 1TE 2FLEX 1D 1K

Team 1: 8-5-2019 Champs 8-5-2020 Champs 11-3-2021 Champs
QBs: D.Carr, C.Wentz
RBs: J.Taylor, A.Jones, J.Mixon, B.Robinson
WRs: T.Hill, C.Lamb, C.Godwin, K.Allen, J.Jones, K.Golladay
TEs: T.Kelce, P.Freiermuth

DLF Series SF TE Premium
2020: 10-3-Championship 2021: 12-2-Runner Up
QBs: J.Allen, Winston, Trubisky
RBs: Ekeler, J.Williams, M.Gordon, J.Jacobs, I.Spiller
WRs: C.Kupp, T.Hill, C.Lamb, C.Godwin, D.Mooney, N.Collins, M.Hardman
TEs: D.Waller, D.Schultz, Albert O

DLF Series SF TE Premium
2020: 9-4

QBs: Mahomes, J.Allen, J.Love, Trubisky
RBs: A.Jones, M.Gordon, McKissic, K.Vaughn, B.Snell
WRs: J.Jefferson, T.McLaurin, K.Golladay, M.Pittman,T.Patrick
TEs: M.Andrews,D.Schultz

2019: 9 championships
2020: 7 championships-including 2 DLF Series Championships
2021: 9 championships-including 3 DLF Series Championships

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:26 am

I think the relaxed weed rules will help this not tank draft stock like an injury. Doubt he makes it past 21 unless some really bad stuff is discovered.

I read this before and thought it was a bit strange and can't imagine any prospect tanking their own draft stock to not have a team option fifth year tacked on.
Rare players indeed that benefit from that contract difference and rarer still at LB. Find all your 2nd round LB's (not EDGE/OLB's or include them if you want) and which ones truly broke the bank on their next contract. I think you just significantly underestimate the egos involved here. To be great you have to believe you are the best, if another player at your position is drafted ahead of you quite simply the NFL (or that team in particular) does not believe you are the best. I can't imagine being a great player at the NFL level and not believing you need to be the best and keep working on your craft harder than anyone. The money is MUCH better on average for 5 years being a 1st round pick AND having your option picked up. Considering most NFL careers don't even last that long it would be foolish to tank your own stock. Even 1st round busts get to hang around in the NFL longer than a 2nd/'3rd round average player
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:23 am

Jabrill Peppers now diluting his sample. All this is very interesting. Could he be in for a bigger payday if he falls to the 2nd round?
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:49 am

Bruiser wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:23 am Jabrill Peppers now diluting his sample. All this is very interesting. Could he be in for a bigger payday if he falls to the 2nd round?
I think you're reaching, Bruiser :ewink:
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
KITTLE, Goedert
/
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
/
R WILSON, Minshew
KELCE, Schultz
/
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
LAPORTA

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:47 pm

That he won't fall to the 2nd? I think he was borderline to begin with.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:10 pm

Bruiser wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:47 pm That he won't fall to the 2nd? I think he was borderline to begin with.
No I totally agree with that. I think it's a reach to think this is a strategy on his part.
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
KITTLE, Goedert
/
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
/
R WILSON, Minshew
KELCE, Schultz
/
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
LAPORTA

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:48 pm

Oh, lol. I have no idea why he provided a diluted sample. It's interesting, that much I know.

I take drug tests a couple times per year. I am very aware that a dilute sample is an automatic fail. There are only two plausible reasons to give a dilute sample. One is to cover up a positive sample. The other would be to raise a red flag without being convicted of any wrongdoing.

Ask Bobby Wagner the value of being a 2nd round pick. Then ask Donta Hightower if "pride" is really worth the price of cashing in. The notion that these players are too proud to care about money is hard for me to even process.

I've heard plenty of fantasy football players talk about how important RB/WR is, how important LB is, and now how ego-centric football players are to the point they don't care about money. This leads me to believe that most fantasy football players have no real clue about the business side of the industry.

I was pretty aware of the marketplace as a teen. I knew that if I went to this college for this program, I could maximize my earnings in this field. I am amazed that so many middle-class, middle-aged hobbyists would discount pro football players as being unable to educate themselves and angle themselves just the same. It's perplexing that Contrarian takes the stance that pro football players are too ego-centric to maximize their earnings.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:06 pm

not sure why you keep using wagner vs hightower - looks like per sport trac hightower has made more $ thus far and still has more guaranteed despite by most opinions being the lesser player and playing for a less thrifty franchise & it is an understood fact that the only $ that really matter is guaranteed $ until the check clears . If that is your best example what about all the other 2nd round flame outs ? much better to get as much $ as soon as possible since no career is guaranteed to succeed or last in the NFL . What about kendall wright vs stephen hill ? or reilly reiff vs jonathon martin ?
The hole narrative of a 2nd being better long term than a 1st sounds like agent driven mumbo jumbo for a guy talked into signing with an agent that sold the player on him being connected enough to guarantee a 1st round selection. Absolutely the exception rather than the rule
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Got to agree that the concept of purposely trying to tank your draft stock just to reach the 2nd round is a far fetched and low probability scenario. Foster as any sort of example, given he was/is viewed as a top 10 talent, just seems...illogical. Peppers was a hype machine no doubt with high draft aspirations. Doing something like this just to reach the second round and bank on money in your 5th season...is a HUGE leap of faith to the future. I just can't get my mind there. I get what you're saying, i'm just not able to believe someone would be aiming for that. It's more of a silver lining if something did happen.

As for diluting the sample, I think that's just a cleaner image than simply failing. If I had to choose between straight fail or dilute I am taking the latter.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:33 pm

I think Foster will still be top 20
@PlankMelody

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:44 pm

A. Wagner v. Hightower is relevant because this is 2017. The current CBA rules have only begun to take effect. See the difference between DE v. OLB as a position group (cost) for more.

B. If you are taking a poll of FFB players as to which player is better than you will likely be on the wrong side of history. I love Wagner, but he is a piece in a large defense. Hightower is a larger piece in his defense.

C. If everyone keeps using the argument that "players rarely make it to a 2nd contract" then why would a 5yr rookie deal be more appealing than a potential 3yr rookie deal?

D. We are talking about the ability to negotiate for your market value, right? So, Bobby Wagner got to do that 2 years before Hightower b/c of the CBA rules. Advantage: 2nd rd Wagner

I am not fashioning this idea as my own. It was reported as a loophole, and I believe it to be true.