First round rookie picks after 1.06: try to sell now or later?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Rotolibrarian
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

First round rookie picks after 1.06: try to sell now or later?

Postby Rotolibrarian » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:22 pm

What are your thoughts on how to handle first round rookie picks outside of the top six? I have the 1.07, 1.08, and 1.09 in one of my leagues, and I want to deal them because I'm in win-now mode for 2017. I know conventional wisdom is to wait to deal until I'm on the clock, but I wonder if it holds true with these particular picks. I'm thinking they might not be as attractive after the NFL Draft next week. Thoughts?
Team 1

10 Team 0.5 PPR, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 FLEX, 1 DEF (21 roster spots total)
QB- Newton, Dak
RB- Zeke, Howard, Gio, C.J. Anderson, Woodhead, Darius Jackson
WR- Cooper, Decker, Sanders, Mitchell, Maclin, Lockett, Doctson, DGB, Agholor
TE- Gronk, Hunter Henry
D- None
2017- 1.07, 1.08, 1.09, 2.01, 2.06, 2.08, 3.09, 4.07, 5.01

Novacane
All Pro
All Pro

Re: First round rookie picks after 1.06: try to sell now or later?

Postby Novacane » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:43 pm

I disagree. These are very likely to increase in value, especially because you have multiple consecutive pick. Right now we have a consensus top tier of 6 and it is hard to imagine many landing spots that would cause any of those prospects to drop too signifantly. But someone and prob more than one guy will get drafted in a good situation and start to seperate from the large group of similarly tiered players just after the top 6. Owners whi have been eyeing their "late first/early second" guy are going to want to move up. The fact that you control a run of 3 spots gives you a lot of leverage going into, and during, the rookie draft. Hold them IMO.

Crwdstunna
Captain
Captain

Postby Crwdstunna » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:00 pm

Novacane wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:43 pm I disagree. These are very likely to increase in value, especially because you have multiple consecutive pick. Right now we have a consensus top tier of 6 and it is hard to imagine many landing spots that would cause any of those prospects to drop too signifantly. But someone and prob more than one guy will get drafted in a good situation and start to seperate from the large group of similarly tiered players just after the top 6. Owners whi have been eyeing their "late first/early second" guy are going to want to move up. The fact that you control a run of 3 spots gives you a lot of leverage going into, and during, the rookie draft. Hold them IMO.
This. You should not be entertaining the thought of trading those picks right now.
10 Team PPR Dynasty League (1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex) 2018 Champ
QB: B Mayfield- D Brees- M Mariota RB: A Kamara- M Ingram- Du Johnson- C Hyde- M Lynch- A Peterson- G Edwards- L Murray- C Warren WR: A Brown- D Hopkins- T Boyd- A Jeffery- S Shepard- N Agholor- D Moncrief- L Fitzgerald- M Goodwin TE: OJ Howard- D Goedert
16 Team PPR Dynasty League (1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE)
QB: B Roethlisberger- C Keenum RB: Da Johnson- P Lindsay- J White- F Gore WR: A Thielen- C Kupp- K Golladay- C Sutton- A Miller- Tr Smith TE: OJ Howard- D Goerdert- C Herndon- A Hooper

12 Team PPR Dynasty League (2QB 2RB 2WR 2TE 3FLEX)
QB: C Newton- M Mariota- M Trubisky RB: S Barkley- J Mixon- C McCaffrey- N Hines- C Clement- C Carson WR: S Watkins- J Landry- S Diggs- C Godwin- M Williams- M Lee- K Golladay TE: R Gronkowski- D Njoku- G Kittle- E Ebron

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:03 pm

I agree with Cane. There will be somebody or body's that will jump into that six or seven spot for sure. Most likely it will be a Kamara, Rossi, TE, or maybe even a Godwin/Zayed type. I know those are the prospects being discussed at seven or higher now, but the draft will really solidify it and/or cause an argument for one or more of them to possibly jump into the top six.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Weeman
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Weeman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:52 pm

I'd wait, you never know what could happen. With rookie fever and people not always doing their homework you could land some major value if one of those top 6 fall or guys within your tier have great landing spots.

I know dynasty guys who would draft Dede Westbrook and even Tarik Cohen way earlier than most. Sometimes you follow a player in college and just want him. Or a guy lands on your favorite team or a destination that you feel is favorable. Plenty of people will overpay with proven players for those later picks and your right to be thinking about it. Just play it cool. You're going to get offers.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:03 pm

1.07, in particular, is a hold right now. Of all the picks in the draft, it is the most likely to go up in value.
If you look at Arpil ADP, the top 6 rookies are all between picks 24 and 45 overall, and the 7th rookie is at 72 overall. If Kamara, Foreman, etc. go to an awesome spot, I think they will jump to right behind the top 6 there.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:46 am

to echo the herd , keep them and wait until the picks are OTC , one of the top 6 could drop as someone goes full homer when kamara or foreman or ross go to their favorite team . I also as someone mentioned love to control a block of picks as then you can destroy a tier and a manager could freak out and overpay because he has a guy that won't make it out of your block of picks.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Rotolibrarian
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Rotolibrarian » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:01 am

clarion contrarion wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:46 am to echo the herd , keep them and wait until the picks are OTC , one of the top 6 could drop as someone goes full homer when kamara or foreman or ross go to their favorite team . I also as someone mentioned love to control a block of picks as then you can destroy a tier and a manager could freak out and overpay because he has a guy that won't make it out of your block of picks.
Thanks for the feedback all. I'll be patient and hold steady! :thumbup:
Team 1

10 Team 0.5 PPR, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 FLEX, 1 DEF (21 roster spots total)
QB- Newton, Dak
RB- Zeke, Howard, Gio, C.J. Anderson, Woodhead, Darius Jackson
WR- Cooper, Decker, Sanders, Mitchell, Maclin, Lockett, Doctson, DGB, Agholor
TE- Gronk, Hunter Henry
D- None
2017- 1.07, 1.08, 1.09, 2.01, 2.06, 2.08, 3.09, 4.07, 5.01

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:38 am

Not only do you have players that may go a leaguemate's favorite team but also you start factoring in the guys that have rock-solid landing spots with great opportunity. Unless an offer blows you away, I wouldn't sell a pick until at least the NFL draft takes place (6 Days)

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:02 am

If you're moving them for players, hold till the draft. If you're looking to move up, do it now because the earlier picks will rise in value even more than yours.

gilbertfl6
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby gilbertfl6 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:03 am

Patience is a virtue. Wait for it.

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:02 am

Although I can't disagree with what has been written above (good advice) I did just make a decision to trade my 1.7 for Henry, thinking that he's a much better prospect than what I can get at 1.7. If you can get what you consider to be a better player (who can help your team now) than anyone available at 1.7 then I say go for it. If you're just moving for the sake of moving, not really any urgency one week away from the big day.

Tyrober
Captain
Captain

Postby Tyrober » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:35 am

I'd hold for now unless its a great offer. Maybe try to see what the 3,4 and 5 guys want and see if they would be interested in going from there to 8+9 and you keep the 7th. Someone should separate themselves in the 2nd tier and theres also a possibility someone from the tier1 six falls to 7. It only takes one guy in the top 6 to reach for someone so the 7 is definitely a hold.

ESKAY
Captain
Captain

Postby ESKAY » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:29 pm

I am also holding onto pick 7 and I saw where JuJu thought the Cowboys have showed the most interest in him. If that's the case he may be pick 7 for me.

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:34 pm

To me, this is entirely dependent on the offer. While it's true the pick's value will likely rise and peak when you're OTC, you have to consider sometimes people make an offer you can't refuse. I owned 1.07 and 1.08 last night when I was out with some league mates, an owner proposed 1.12 and an 18 1st for 1.07. That was a snap accept for me, its too much value to say no to, and while likely to get an offer of similar value when OTC, sometimes you need to jump when the offer is hot!
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Kupp, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league