2017 QBs vs. Wentz/Goff/Lynch

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Servo
All Pro
All Pro

2017 QBs vs. Wentz/Goff/Lynch

Postby Servo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:34 am

Not including Dak, as he's in a league of his own right now with where Dallas is, but what is the sentiment on the QBs of this class: Watson, Kizer (declared) and Trubisky and Kaaya (undeclared)?

I know landing spot and surrounding cast/coaching can make a huge difference (Dak) but are you higher on the 2016 trio's potential or do you like what you see from 2017?

Is anyone scared that these guys are all underclassmen?

Lesser known 2017 QBs: Webb/Chad Kelly (Senior), Mahomes (not declared), Luke Falk (not declared I believe)

amazehayes
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: 2017 QBs vs. Wentz/Goff/Lynch

Postby amazehayes » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:46 am

2017 QB class as a whole is very weak. I would take any of the 2016 QBs before any of the 2017. Now I do believe if Trubisky lands somewhere where he has to sit a year or two he could do alright. I think if I were to take any of them it would be Webb in the later rounds

flyersfan1981
Legend
Legend

Postby flyersfan1981 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:10 am

Rowsdower wrote:Not including Dak, as he's in a league of his own right now with where Dallas is, but what is the sentiment on the QBs of this class: Watson, Kizer (declared) and Trubisky and Kaaya (undeclared)?

I know landing spot and surrounding cast/coaching can make a huge difference (Dak) but are you higher on the 2016 trio's potential or do you like what you see from 2017?

Is anyone scared that these guys are all underclassmen?

Lesser known 2017 QBs: Webb/Chad Kelly (Senior), Mahomes (not declared), Luke Falk (not declared I believe)
Dak is in a league of his own because he has an elite RB and the best offensive line in the game! He is good, but he is not asked to do much. Do you think Wentz or Goff wouldn't be as successful in Dallas. And consequently are you telling me Dak would be as successful if he were in LA or Philly?

I would think the weapons Dak has should easily make up the 4-5 pts per game more he is scoring than Wentz, a guy with literally one weapon, a 67-yr-old Sproles. In fact, before Lane Johnson was suspended Wentz was averaging about what Dak has been for the season.

It is Dak and Wentz at the top, basically situation vs. talent. Goff is a step below until we see more next year with a new coach and scheme. We obviously don't know about Paxton yet.
Last edited by flyersfan1981 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
#1-12 Team .5 PPR TE Premium (20-max)

Winston, Wentz
Ingram, Jones, Dalvin Cook, Rawls, Smallwood, McGuire
Evans, Keenan, Parker, Corey Davis, Lockett, Ty Williams
Ertz
1.05/1.06/1.07

#2-12 Team .5 PPR (25-max)

Rivers, Wilson
Gurley, JStew, West, Duke, Breida, Smallwood, Joe Williams
Nuk, Alshon, Sanders, Doctson, Crowder, Carroo, Carlos Henderson
Ertz, Kittle

#3 14-team PPR (27-max) Year 2

Rodgers, Bortles
McCoy, Howard, Chubb, Crowell, Cohen, D. Martin, McGuire, Joe Williams, Breida, West, Aaron Jones
Cooks, Alshon, MBryant, Britt, Boyd, Wright, Carroo, Chad Williams
Kelce, Julius Thomas, Jesse James, Shaheen, D. Allen

#4 12-team PPR S-flex TE Prem

Wentz, Trubisky, Cutler
Kamara, Ajayi, Howard, Lacy, Mack, Elijah McGuire, Sproles, Turbin
Hopkins, Alshon, Parker, Stills, Britt, ArDarius, P Cooper, TWilliams
Brate, Green, D Allen, Higbee, Hodges, Anderson
1.02/1.10

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:19 am

I like last year's QB's a lot better, which gives me some pause considering how bad Goff and Wentz have been.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:31 am

With an elite running game, Wentz wouldn't be the same quarterback (I.E. airing it out 50 times a game and throwing picks/would be picks on a regular basis); if LA is committed to Gurley, Goff probably wouldn't be asked to do more than what Dak is doing right now.

Why didn't I include Dak? Everyone would choose Dak over any of these QBs in a heartbeat, because he has played very well for the most part and the situation he was drafted in. We've seen how Dak was "meh" against impressive pass rushes on a few occasions (NYG + MIN), but to include him with Goff (miserable o-line), Wentz (better than average o-line) and Lynch really isn't what I'm looking for.

To me Dak right now is the perfect example of Nature vs. Nurture, which one is he? Don't think I'm ready to call that one yet.

flyersfan1981
Legend
Legend

Postby flyersfan1981 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:35 am

Cameron Giles wrote:I like last year's QB's a lot better, which gives me some pause considering how bad Goff and Wentz have been.
Surprised that you would turn a blind eye to those guys. Wentz has nothing and was without his best tackle for 10 games (coincidentally his numbers dropped when that happened) and Goff has only played 5 games (two of which on the road to Super Bowl contenders).

I actually think all 3 are going to do very well in the future...Wentz and Goff just need some help. Come back to this question in 2 years.
#1-12 Team .5 PPR TE Premium (20-max)

Winston, Wentz
Ingram, Jones, Dalvin Cook, Rawls, Smallwood, McGuire
Evans, Keenan, Parker, Corey Davis, Lockett, Ty Williams
Ertz
1.05/1.06/1.07

#2-12 Team .5 PPR (25-max)

Rivers, Wilson
Gurley, JStew, West, Duke, Breida, Smallwood, Joe Williams
Nuk, Alshon, Sanders, Doctson, Crowder, Carroo, Carlos Henderson
Ertz, Kittle

#3 14-team PPR (27-max) Year 2

Rodgers, Bortles
McCoy, Howard, Chubb, Crowell, Cohen, D. Martin, McGuire, Joe Williams, Breida, West, Aaron Jones
Cooks, Alshon, MBryant, Britt, Boyd, Wright, Carroo, Chad Williams
Kelce, Julius Thomas, Jesse James, Shaheen, D. Allen

#4 12-team PPR S-flex TE Prem

Wentz, Trubisky, Cutler
Kamara, Ajayi, Howard, Lacy, Mack, Elijah McGuire, Sproles, Turbin
Hopkins, Alshon, Parker, Stills, Britt, ArDarius, P Cooper, TWilliams
Brate, Green, D Allen, Higbee, Hodges, Anderson
1.02/1.10

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:36 am

flyersfan1981 wrote:
Cameron Giles wrote:I like last year's QB's a lot better, which gives me some pause considering how bad Goff and Wentz have been.
Surprised that you would turn a blind eye to those guys. Wentz has nothing and was without his best tackle for 10 games (coincidentally his numbers dropped when that happened) and Goff has only played 5 games (two of which on the road to Super Bowl contenders).

I actually think all 3 are going to do very well in the future...Wentz and Goff just need some help. Come back to this question in 2 years.
Don't get me wrong, I haven't given up on Goff, but I think the fact that I liked him a lot more than those guys may tell me something about the transition Watson, Trubisky, etc. will have.

Then again, it may have nothing to do with it. But my gut tells me that this year's QB crop is the worst in a while.

2018 on the other hand..

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:43 am

I plan to target Trubisky in my 2QB leagues and would take him before Goff and Lynch.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Smus
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Smus » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:37 am

No one ever seems to like the QB class the next year, though 2014 seemed to have decent options. 2012 was a sneaky good QB year.

I'll admit I've not dove headlong into the QBs this year but it seems like there's real potential for some guys to be overdrafted given how many QB needy teams there are. FA might clear up a lot of questions for a team like Cleveland or San Francisco. I've read some Twitter guys taking Watson down a peg, essentially claiming he's not even close to being NFL caliber, and if he goes to Cleveland...woof
16 Team 24 man $200 Cap league-YR:4

[1 QB, 1-2RB, 2-4 WR, 1-2TE, 1K, 1DEF] .5PPR
QB: Bradford ($15/20), Mayfield ($8/24), Rosen ($8/24), Kelly ($6/19)
RB: K. Johnson ($8/23), Blount ($10/18)
WR: Gabriel ($2/20), Conley ($5/19), T. Smith ($11/18), Higgins ($5/20), Chris Moore ($2/20), Josh Reynolds ($3/21), Ardarius Stewart ($3/21), D. Hamilton ($3/22), Parker ($8/21), Pryor ($23/18), K. White ($8/21), V. Smith ($2/20), Wallace ($9/19 {IR})
TE: Olsen ($20/18), Gesicki ($5/22) Shaheen ($3/21 {IR})
K: Cantanzaro ($3/18)
DEF: Carolina ($9/FRAN)

12 Team Dynasty-16 Man PPR --Year 3
(1QB, 2-3RB, 3-4WR, 1-2 TE, 1PK)
QB-Brees, Winston, Darnold
RB-Anderson, Chubb, Miller, Yeldon
WR-Beckham Jr., Hill, D Thomas, Jackson, Ridley, Kirk, Moore
TE-Howard
K-Dawson

Factory of Sadness
Starter
Starter

Postby Factory of Sadness » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:27 am

I agree that Dak is in a dream situation and that warps perception. I do think that the poise and mental sharpness he has shown are special and that he is likely to play a long time. Anyone who doesn't think that Goff or Wentz would have looked good in that team though is kidding themselves I think. It's insanely hard to judge a QB because the context is so huge a part of everything that they do.

I'm in a minority here, which always worries me, but I like all of the top three guys this year. None of them look perfect, but all of them have the potential to be really good. Put any of them in the hands of McDaniels or Shanahan and they could have tremendous success. Put any of them in the Rams team that Jeff Fisher was running and they'd stink.

If you made me take a wild guess at ranking the six of them I'd have Goff first by a decent margin, then Trubinsky as the safest option and Watson as the highest ceiling guy. Little to nothing in it between Wentz, Kizer and Lynch. Dak looks to be probably the least talented of the lot. I wouldn't give five cents for my guess though. I'll be drafting the QBs according to the coaches they're going to. Any of the three who ends up with a guy trust in charge of their development I'm taking first.

If you look at guys working out or not as pros it's tempting to apply some retrospective 'wisdom' about how they are wired or to point to innate mechanical flaws. I suspect that a high percentage of prospects who failed could have carved out a career with a Holmgren or Shanahan as their first mentor. In contrast I wonder how many of the greats could have thrived under Fisher and Boras. There's a huge chasm in the quality of the schemes that pro teams run and the quality of the coaching that these QBs get. The NFL likes to keep the fact that some of its coaching is utterly shitty pretty quiet and the easy option for the media is to blame the QB for his own 'failings'.

I read so much good advice on here and never feel like I have anything to give back. Drafting QBs according to the coach might be the only thing I'm confident of that not everyone is doing.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:18 pm

Really hard to say until we know for sure who is in the draft. I like Mahomes and think he looks like one of those dark horse QB's. Seems smart and poised with enough athleticism
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:22 pm

I've followed them all quite a lot and own both Wentz and Goff in separate leagues. Here is how I grade all of them together, including situation for the 2016 guys:

Prescott
Wentz
Kizer
Goff
Watson
Trubisky
Lynch
Kaaya (if he declares)
everyone else

if Baker Mayfield hadn't returned, he'd be above Lynch. Not big on Chad Kelly, his film hasn't impressed me so far. Mahomes and Falk both play in those ridiculous Mike Leach spread offenses and I don't trust them at all.

Crwdstunna
Captain
Captain

Postby Crwdstunna » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:13 pm

I think I'd go Prescott, Wentz, then Watson
10 Team PPR Dynasty League (1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex) 2018 Champ
QB: B Mayfield- D Brees- M Mariota RB: A Kamara- M Ingram- Du Johnson- C Hyde- M Lynch- A Peterson- G Edwards- L Murray- C Warren WR: A Brown- D Hopkins- T Boyd- A Jeffery- S Shepard- N Agholor- D Moncrief- L Fitzgerald- M Goodwin TE: OJ Howard- D Goedert
16 Team PPR Dynasty League (1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE)
QB: B Roethlisberger- C Keenum RB: Da Johnson- P Lindsay- J White- F Gore WR: A Thielen- C Kupp- K Golladay- C Sutton- A Miller- Tr Smith TE: OJ Howard- D Goerdert- C Herndon- A Hooper

12 Team PPR Dynasty League (2QB 2RB 2WR 2TE 3FLEX)
QB: C Newton- M Mariota- M Trubisky RB: S Barkley- J Mixon- C McCaffrey- N Hines- C Clement- C Carson WR: S Watkins- J Landry- S Diggs- C Godwin- M Williams- M Lee- K Golladay TE: R Gronkowski- D Njoku- G Kittle- E Ebron

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:43 pm

This should tell you how weak the '17 QB class is, at least at the top. The Browns have been utter crap this season, sitting on the 1st overall pick, they've been dying for a franchise signal caller since they came back to the league.....And not a single mock draft I can find has them drafting a QB. Nor have I heard any beat writers say, or heard any mass fan outcry that they even SHOULD draft any QB from this class with the 1st overall pick.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

amazehayes
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby amazehayes » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:52 pm

BuckeyeNation wrote:This should tell you how weak the '17 QB class is, at least at the top. The Browns have been utter crap this season, sitting on the 1st overall pick, they've been dying for a franchise signal caller since they came back to the league.....And not a single mock draft I can find has them drafting a QB. Nor have I heard any beat writers say, or heard any mass fan outcry that they even SHOULD draft any QB from this class with the 1st overall pick.
Yes the draft class is weak but I think that shows how overly talented Myles Garrett is. This year is a clear demonstration of drafting value over need. In my opinion they shouldn't draft a quarterback with their first two top 10 picks since they have RG3 and Kessler who I believe they can develop with Pryor and Coleman there. They have so many needs they just need value at both picks.