Snake or Straight?

General discussion and team advice concerning Redraft & Keeper leagues.

Snake or Straight?

Snake
83%
Straight
17%

Total votes: 18

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Snake or Straight?

Postby Steelersfan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:23 am

It's common knowledge that annual dynasty rookie/free agent drafts are straight in nature but what about keeper league drafts? I'm thinking that the amount of keepers play a major role in the decision so lets say 4-6 keepers for the polls sake...

Remember this is annual rookie/free agent drafts, not inuagural...

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Snake or Straight?

Postby blacksheep » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:29 am

I'd go with a straight post-inaugural draft. I assume worst-to-first ranking. Allows the weaker teams to build, gives them something to look forward and avoid frustration within the league.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:42 am

In my local keeper league we keep 4 players and there is not that big of a difference between the keepers of the 1st place team and the last.

Here's the probable keepers from those two teams:

Last place: Brady, MJD, Greene, Bowe
First place: Ch. Johnson, Austin, Marshall, Wells

We snake the draft after the 1st round...

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:51 am

Steelersfan wrote:In my local keeper league we keep 4 players and there is not that big of a difference between the keepers of the 1st place team and the last.

Thats not a bad compromise :thumbup:

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:09 am

highballers wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:In my local keeper league we keep 4 players and there is not that big of a difference between the keepers of the 1st place team and the last.

Thats not a bad compromise :thumbup:
We're exanding the keepers to 5 after this season (started with 3 in 2006 so at this rate we will be a dynasty league by 2030... :lol: ) so maybe there will a greater difference in keepers then.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:23 am

Keeper leagues that I have been in have always snaked. Worst to first and snake draft.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:51 pm

I keep our keeper leagues simple...min keepers 0, max up to X number. For every player you keep you lose a draft pick starting in rd 1. Snake after that. I don't think a straight draft is beneficial at all in a keeper league.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:37 pm

Misfit74 wrote:Keeper leagues that I have been in have always snaked. Worst to first and snake draft.
ditto. -oo-

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:24 pm

Keeper leagues with 1-6 players kept should only use snake drafts. In these cases the teams don't keep enough players to have a dominant roster - although with 6 keepers and snake draft you could argue someone will turn into a dominating team eventually. The higher the number of keepers the more established the rosters are so a stacked team can remain stacked for multiple seasons. Above 6 keepers I think straight drafts are in order to ensure some balance over the years. I think the number of teams in the league should be taken into account also when defining draft type.

I play in a 10-team keeper where each team keeps 14 and we do straight drafts (rook only followed by FA/rook). DLF keeper is also straight draft, we keep 10.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:01 pm

If you keep double-digit players, then you are closer to a dynasty league than a keeper league. Just saying.

-oo-

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:29 pm

I found it hard to vote on that one.

Assuming that the players kept cost you a top pick no matter what like skip's league( 4 keepers, no picks in the first 4 rounds ), then I'd snake it.

But in our keeper league, you forfeit a pick in the round the player was kept. ( actually, it will escalate by 1 round each year now ) So we decided to also change the draft format to go straight for the first 3 rounds and then snake from there. Any of you guys ever tried that? It's worth noting that you can't keep anyone drafted in the first 2 rounds with these new rules.
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:38 pm

Phish Brigade wrote:I found it hard to vote on that one.

Assuming that the players kept cost you a top pick no matter what like skip's league( 4 keepers, no picks in the first 4 rounds ), then I'd snake it.

But in our keeper league, you forfeit a pick in the round the player was kept. ( actually, it will escalate by 1 round each year now ) So we decided to also change the draft format to go straight for the first 3 rounds and then snake from there. Any of you guys ever tried that? It's worth noting that you can't keep anyone drafted in the first 2 rounds with these new rules.

I've been in a similar league that was straight the first two rounds, then snaked.
12 team 1 ppr 6 pt all tds
1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 1 rb/wr 1 te 1k
qb Ryan, Vick, nassib, Barkley
RB DMC, Gore, Sporles, Stacy, Hillman, Moreno,
WR aj green,welker, Britt, Blackmon, DeMary
TE Davis, Cook, Housler, Allen

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:27 pm

RobertBobson wrote:
Phish Brigade wrote:I found it hard to vote on that one.

I've been in a similar league that was straight the first two rounds, then snaked.
Ya, we thought about just doing two rounds. We've always had our keeper rules set so that there would be some studs in the draft each year. This will definitely ensure that happens. We changed the scroing to PPR as well, so we're starting over with a brand new draft. I'm thinking it will work pretty well and keep our live draft fun.
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd