Corey Coleman's value when Gordon returns?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Chocolate Droppa
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Corey Coleman's value when Gordon returns?

Postby Chocolate Droppa » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:09 pm

What a clown.

jaykay22
Starter
Starter

Postby jaykay22 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:29 pm

Never put a ton of thought into the idea of landing Coleman with my 1.07 or 1.08 in my Team 1 rookie/FA draft, but with JG's reinstatement, it would be nice landing him with the 7th overall! (Wishful thinking, at least) :D
#FreeCoreyDavis

FoleysFolly
Rookie
Rookie

Postby FoleysFolly » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:35 pm

Cameron Giles wrote:
FoleysFolly wrote:As always, OP was right all along.

Guys in this thread were blind hardcore Corey Coleman truthers.

Some points they described have already been reversed...

-Reinstated before August 1st(when everyone said it's a big "IF" he's ever reinstated)
-Will be on 4-game suspension, but will be allowed to participate in training camp, full access to playbook and team meetings, and be allowed to play in preseason(when the truthers in this thread said he'll be waaaay behind because he'll miss start of season in Hue's new offense, and thus Coleman will be ahead of him)

-
What were you right about? This is what you wrote:
FoleysFolly wrote:Coleman is currently being drafted in rookie drafts as a consensus top 3 pick(usually some order of 1.Zeke 2a.Coleman 2b. Treadwell.

As someone who really likes Coleman...will or should he take a hit in value because of the return of Josh Gordon? He'll always play second fiddle as long as JG is in town.
FoleysFolly wrote:I see I've brought out the Coleman truthers en masse. Reality check for all of you...

1. Gordon will return. If it's not after August 1st, it will happen eventually.
2. The Browns could have cut him multiple times. They didn't. They want him around.
2. When he does come back, even if he's a fraction of his former-self, he'll still come back as the WR1. Alls it will take for everyone to fall in love again will be his first touchdown.
4.No one is questioning Coleman's eliteness. But he's still a rookie.

The question posed was will JG return hurt Coleman's value. So everyone here is saying not a chance? That's unreal.
You really went on a huge limb there predicting that Gordon would return, especially days after it was reported he met with Roger Goodell. By the way, can you tell me the winning lottery numbers after it airs? Other than that, you haven't been proven right on anything you wrote. It's strange that you said you "really like Coleman" and then went on a tangent aimed at "Coleman truthers."

If you're drafting today, Coleman's prospect profile hasn't changed. His short-term production could be affected, but long-term he is likely going to be Cleveland WR1 going forward. It's huge for Gordon to stay on the field and out of trouble this year, because this is almost certainly an audition for a new team next season.
Your response is reasonable, and therefore, I will converse.

The original question posed was basically...'if Josh Gordon returns,what impact will that have on Corey Coleman's value?' If you go to the first page of this thread...most posters were saying none or very little. For someone asking for fantasy advice, it's absurd(at best delusional) to say there wouldn't be an impact. I don't care if it's a long or short term impact....there would be consequences. Let's discuss that. Maybe it bumps him below Treadwell and auto-turns him into the 2b. Or maybe further and he goes to 1.04 behind Zeke, Treadwell and Doctson. Or maybe further and he's now in the 1.05-1.06 range. That's what the discussion should be aiming for.

The Oracle
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby The Oracle » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:22 am

You clearly have a redraft mentality. Either that or you really believe Josh Gordon has turned a new leaf. Long term, nothing changes. Short term, he doesn't have to face top CBs and gets a boost for me. Top 3 rookie for me. Just one opinion. Sorry if it doesn't conform to your expectations. I guess this where I am called a truther? Or absurd? Or delusional? Or simply, apathetic.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:22 am

FoleysFolly wrote: Your response is reasonable, and therefore, I will converse.
The forum would be severely lacking without some good arguments, but any good debate should have some tact.
I support being passionate about your beliefs, but leading with a line like you did above paints the entire post in a bad light for the reader. It's hard to agree with posts like this, even if the reader agrees with the actual arguments within it.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:12 am

Cameron Giles wrote:If you're drafting today, Coleman's prospect profile hasn't changed. His short-term production could be affected, but long-term he is likely going to be Cleveland WR1 going forward. It's huge for Gordon to stay on the field and out of trouble this year, because this is almost certainly an audition for a new team next season.
I think you could be mistaken.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... _role.html

I do not believe Jim Brown would have played such a role just so Gordon could have an audition to play somewhere else next season. While I would agree that the Browns may be prepared and have plans for their roster that exclude Gordon, they are most likely have as much, if not more, plans to keep Gordon around, assuming he buys into what they are doing. As he has what appears to be an open & welcoming locker room (ie the other players arent hostile to his return - which in turn suggests to me he does not have team wrecking character issues) and despite what a lot of us may want to believe, he does seem sincere in his efforts to return and be a Brown.

So the way I see it, is that as long as Gordon stays on the straight and narrow, the Browns will keep him long term and that could quite easily impact the mid to long term ceiling of Coleman. Fact is, and it is quite possible Gordon knows this, this could be his last shot - because if he fails not only is he disappointing himself, but he will also be disappointing/embarassing Goodell (who made an exception of sorts for him) and especially Jim Brown, and if that happens he will either end up like a Ray Rice (shunned from the league) or barely on the periphery like a Trent Richardson.

However, I also think that if Gordon doesnt stick, that the Browns could likely draft more receivers next year, unless another of those drafted this year can show they can be WR2s, and perhaps Gordon is a better case scenario for Coleman, than another WR drafted in the 1st or 2nd next year, because some owners will always expect Gordon to flame out and thus wont devalue Coleman much, if at all, whereas a highly touted 2017 prospect would.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:30 pm

The true subject matter of this thread... ie. Coleman's Value with and without Gordon would be a great topic to debate. The problem is, this thread was doomed from the start by a 'here's my take... Come at me Bro' post.

The truth is if anyone drafted Coleman in the top 3 because of an expanded 2016 role then you aren't handling your rookie drafts correctly. Thats more of a redraft move. If Gordon can get his head and body right (Big If) then he's the most talented WR in Cleveland. He'd be the top red zone target and lets not forget the RG3 & josh Gordon Baylor connection. RG3 may or may not be the future in Cleveland but he is the present and with comments like this back in March:

" “Josh is family,” Griffin told reporters during his introductory conference call in Cleveland. “We went to Baylor together. I love the guy. I don’t know what’s going to happen with him in the league or with the team, but he always knows that he has a brother in me. If the opportunity comes that he can get reinstated and play for the Browns, then I won’t be upset with that — let’s just put it that way. He is family. At Baylor, we believe in that no matter what happens. We always have your back.”

I think Gordon's and RG3's on field chemistry will be pretty abundant. It probably won't fully manifest itself until the 2nd half of the season but I'd be shocked if a healthy Josh Gordon doesnt lead the Browns in targets from week 10 on. Coleman's a very talented guy. I targeted him everywhere i could and as much as I like Gordon I'm still targeting Coleman as a long term talent. It's dynasty football, I target players who i think will have a future and let the rest sort itself out over time.

But just a tip from a guy who's been swimming around the DLF forum for 6 or 7 years (and learned this lesson myself). The more respectful the post the more respect you'll garner from the community. Afterall who really likes being the poster who generates eye rolls when other read their posts?