Poll: Torrey Smith or Randall Cobb?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Torrey Smith or Randall Cobb?

Torrey Smith
9%
Randall Cobb
91%

Total votes: 32

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Poll: Torrey Smith or Randall Cobb?

Postby Team Tacos » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:03 am

Cobb is the obvious answer, but could the Cobb hype train be out of control? Is this Torrey's breakout year?
WR: OBJ, Dez, AJG, K. Allen, Crowder, K. White;
RB: Gurley, Montgomery, Lacy; QB: Wilson, Goff; TE: Eifert;
DL: Bosa, Danielle H., Ansah, Frank Clark;
LB: Telvin, Kwon, Collins, Jatavis, D. Lee; DEF: KC;
DB: Burnett, C-Dix, S. Davis; K:

Rookie Bench: C. Coleman, Doctson, N. Spence, Jaylon, Jack;
IR:

Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 RB/WR/TE, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 4 LB, 3 DL, 4 DB
12 teams, Non-PPR, tackle heavy w/ TFL.

The GM
Captain
Captain

Re: Poll: Torrey Smith or Randall Cobb?

Postby The GM » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:11 pm

I need to see more from Cobb. I think Smith is a great pairing with Flacco and now that Boldin is gone teams will not get away with holding on to Smith at the line of scrimmage all the way down the field. Smith drew a lot of flags for this last season but could have drawn a lot more.

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:23 am

The GM wrote:I need to see more from Cobb. I think Smith is a great pairing with Flacco and now that Boldin is gone teams will not get away with holding on to Smith at the line of scrimmage all the way down the field. Smith drew a lot of flags for this last season but could have drawn a lot more.
13-2!! Haha... GM it looks like you and me are the only ones questioning Cobb. For me, it's also just hard to trust a Packer receiver for too long. They spread the ball around alot, and will probably be running the ball more this year (and not by handing it off to Cobb).

The GM
Captain
Captain

Postby The GM » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Team Woodard wrote:13-2!! Haha... GM it looks like you and me are the only ones questioning Cobb. For me, it's also just hard to trust a Packer receiver for too long. They spread the ball around alot, and will probably be running the ball more this year (and not by handing it off to Cobb).
Luckily I do not get awarded fantasy points for public perception.

EastonBlues22
Role Player
Role Player

Postby EastonBlues22 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:04 pm

It's not like Smith is going to get 130+ targets with the Ravens this coming year, and Cobb is virtually guaranteed to get 100+ targets.

Cobb has a significantly higher career catch percentage, has already excelled in the role he will be asked to perform this fall, and he can't routinely be double covered or jammed at the line due to how he's used and the weapons around him.

He has some nice upside, but there are still many more questions for Smith than Cobb at this point.
10 team Dynasty, 27 man roster [PPR, +1 Comp Pass/-1 Incomp Pass, 6 pts all TDs, 0.1 pts all Yds (including pass and return), Distance TD and Yd Milestone Bonuses]; Start: 2 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Brees, Romo, Bridgewater, Carr
RB: D. Murray, Yeldon, Hightower, Powell, Ajayi, Coleman, Mathews, McKinnon, Michael, B. Brown
WR: A. Brown, Cobb, Edelman, T. Benjamin, Gordon, Crabtree, Amendola, Aiken, K. Martin
TE: Gronkowski, Kelce, Eifert
Championships: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:54 pm

I rewatched the Baltimore/Denver playoff game last week and saw Torrey burn Champ Bailey multiple times and make some crazy catches. I'm going with Torrey for now but would love to have either.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:14 am

Anyone who is voting Torrey Smith, can you please explain why? Cobb out produced him in his 2nd year and Greg Jennins is leaving, Finley is leaving the next year, and it's been plenty obvious they want to feature Cobb. Sure, they spread the ball around, but they also have a consistent 4500 yard passer in Aaron Rodgers, against Joe Flacco who has never thrown for 4k yards in his career. Cobb looks like a 100 reception type of guy for a long time, Torrey Smith is a good WR but doesn't have the potential, or the explosive offense of Cobb. I don't think if anyone had Cobb they would be trying to trade him to get Torrey Smith.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:16 am

Chris_R wrote:Anyone who is voting Torrey Smith, can you please explain why? Cobb out produced him in his 2nd year and Greg Jennins is leaving, Finley is leaving the next year, and it's been plenty obvious they want to feature Cobb. Sure, they spread the ball around, but they also have a consistent 4500 yard passer in Aaron Rodgers, against Joe Flacco who has never thrown for 4k yards in his career. Cobb looks like a 100 reception type of guy for a long time, Torrey Smith is a good WR but doesn't have the potential, or the explosive offense of Cobb. I don't think if anyone had Cobb they would be trying to trade him to get Torrey Smith.
It's a tough one. I initially asked this questions because I was thinking of trading Smith + for Cobb, and then I thought about it a bit. I've heard people say that the Packers will try to run the ball more with Lacy and Franklin next year. I've also heard about the Packers getting Jarrett Boykin into the mix at WR. Another theory I've heard is that the Ravens defense will take a step backwards next year, which will cause them to get behind in games so that they will have to throw the ball more. And they haven't added a veteran WR to replace Boldin. I don't think that Smith will put up Boldin + Smith numbers, but I do think that they will improve dramatically. Of course then you have Aaron Rodgers saying that Cobb will have 100 catches this year instead of the 80 he had last year. So I dunno. Before I traded Smith + more value for Cobb, I thought I would put this question out there.

The GM
Captain
Captain

Postby The GM » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:19 am

Chris_R wrote:Anyone who is voting Torrey Smith, can you please explain why? .
This is a fair question.

1. I think it is clear that the Packers want to run the ball more and more effectively. Of course this could be a plus as well since it could extend drives but I think that will eat into some of Cobb's planned runs and also steal some short yardage passes.

2. I have seen this hype before. There was a young fella named Motorcycle Finley or something that was all the rage a few seasons ago. Getting traded for astronomical amounts, lots of off season buzz and his fantasy football magazine pages sticking together. That guy disappeared.....but I have seen some buzz about him starting up again this year as well.

3. Greg Jones. I could just as easily see Greg Jones being the one to take the step forward this season.

4. If Cobb starts to be featured in the Green Bay game plan he will garner more double teams and be hit off the line. I know how Torrey Smith deals with that. He gets held all the way down the field and sometimes makes a catch anyway or sometimes draws a flag. I expect a lot more of those flags to fly out early this season and players to try to play him, not hold onto him. I expect those players to lose.

5. Sometimes I think having the better QB is not the best for a players fantasy numbers. Rogers can spread those 4,000+ plus yards out pretty thin. I think a QB like Flacco could more easily end up relying on one or two options. Having that big arm plays right into one of Smith's greatest strengths.

People try to compare Cobb to Harvin. When they do they often mention Rogers. When comparing two players if you feel the need to drag another supporting player into the mix then you are not comparing two players. You are comparing talent AND situation. Victor Cruz is a WR1 on the Giants but move him to another team and I would probably drop him into the WR3 role. It is no secret that I think Harvin is a special player. I do not dislike Cobb but I do not think he is on the level with Harvin or the other elite WR's. This season could change that for me but I could see him getting stuck in the high teens 4LIFE.

Would I trade Cobb straight up for Smith? No. I would not have to. I would seek more for Cobb and get it because his perceived value is much higher. It is my intention as an owner to make the best moves for my franchise.

Well there it is so please feel free to tear me apart, but remember YOU asked for it! :P