Patterson or Hopkins

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

1.04 WR

Patterson
26%
Hopkins
74%

Total votes: 62

bill
Role Player
Role Player

Patterson or Hopkins

Postby bill » Sat May 04, 2013 2:11 pm

I've got the 1.04 for my team in sig. Figure I need WR depth. Based on that, would you rather have Patterson or Hopkins at 1.04?
12 team non-ppr, 4 pts passing TD, start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB/TE flex, 20 position players(non K, DST) roster spots

QB- Allen, Wilson
RB- Hall, Hunt, Sanders, Dobbins, Edmonds, Gainwell, Foreman
WR- OBJ, Hopkins, K. Allen, Julio, Diontae J, Sutton, Samuel, J Williams
TE-Gesicki, Smith

Hjorimir
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Patterson or Hopkins

Postby Hjorimir » Sat May 04, 2013 3:52 pm

I rate the WRs as Austin > Hopkins >> Patterson, for the top 3.
The Great Old Ones
10-team PPR (1-QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, 1-TE, 1-D/ST, 1-K)
QB: Dak, Tua, Mac, Mills (bleh)
RB: Gordon, Drake, Perine, RoJo II, Dillon, Coleman, Sermon, Ingram, Mitchell, Barber, JJ, Bolden
WR: Kupp, DJM, Chase, Jeudy, AJG, OBJ, Shepard, Mecole, Parris, Osborn
TE: Knox, Engram,
D/ST: NE
K: Zuerlein

The Blues Brothers
10-team PPR (1-QB, 1-RB, 2-WR, 1-TE, 2-RB/WR/TE, 3-IDP, 1-K)
QB: Dak, Herbert, Hurts, Bridgewater, Winston, Wentz, Heinicke
RB: Zeke, Cook, Mixon, Moss/Singletary, McKinnon, Gio, Rhamondre, Evans, Roundtree
WR: Kupp, Adams, Nuk, Evans, Ruggs III, Sammy, Guyton, Palmer
TE: Logan, Henry, Engram, Cook, Tremble
IDP: Demario, Bush, Mosley, Jewell, Poyer, Derwin, Vander Esch

DonBrazi
MVP
MVP

Postby DonBrazi » Sat May 04, 2013 9:19 pm

To me it doesn't matter which you take, in terms of value. It's all about boom/bust or safety. As you said you NEED WR help, I'd go for the safe pick (Hopkins). If I was set at WR, I'd swing for the fences (Patterson).
IRL 12Team 28man 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1Superflex: PPR w/ small TE-Premium
Dak, Murray, Wentz, Darnold, Fitzpatrick
CEH, Gibson, Sanders, Javonte, Moss, Nwangwu
ARob, Sutton, ODB, Parker, Ruggs, Miller, Boykin
Waller, Hockenson, Pitts, OJH, Trautman, Gesicki, Everett
2022 1st (2), 2nd, 3rd, 4th

War Room 12Team 28man: 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 4Flex, 1Superflex: .5/1/1.5 Tiered-PPR, 1-Round Devy league
Dak, Murray, LJax, *Rattler
Etienne, AJD, Hubbard, Stevenson, Hawkins, *Spiller
Sutton, ODB, Jeudy, Reagor, Shenault, Rodgers, Kirk, Boykin, *G.Wilson
Hockenson, Jonnu, Firkser, Asiasi
2022 1st (2), 2nd, 3rd, *Devy 4th (2)

Murphy29
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Murphy29 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:05 pm

If you like Patterson I would still draft Hopkins then trade for Patterson next off-season after he struggles his first year. I'm willing to bet Hopkins has the best statistical season of any of the rookie WR

Murphy29
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Murphy29 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:06 pm

If you like Patterson I would still draft Hopkins then trade for Patterson next off-season after he struggles his first year. I'm willing to bet Hopkins has the best statistical season of any of the rookie WR

sehon4
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby sehon4 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:18 am

Hopkins. Just traded up to the 1.01 and he is the reason why.
12 team dynasty, Protect 13 players annually, plus 3 2yr psquad- Max 4RB, Max 5WR, Max 3QB, Max 2TE, Max 1K, Max 1Def, Max 1 Flex. Roster size 18 plus 3 IR & 3 PSquad-3 2yr Psquad(signed for 2 years)
QB-Justin Hebert, Jordan Love
Derek Carr
RB-Alvin Kamara, Javonte Williams, Bijan Robinson, Chuba Hubbard
WR- Mike Williams, D.K Metcalf, Tim Higgins, Terry McLaurin, Jayden Reed Michael Gallup
2yr PSquad Jameson Williams, Marvin Mims Jr. , John Metchie III
TE- George Kittle, Cole Kmet, Dalton Kincaid
2015 League Champions (finally)
2009 2nd place, 2010 2nd place, 2014 2nd place, 2018 2nd place, 2020 2nd place
2012 3rd place, 2019 3rd place
2023 rookie draft picks: 1.01; 2.01; 2.05; 2.08; 3.02; 3.10; 4.12; 5.01
Traded Aaron Rodgers and Khilil Herbert for Jameson Williams & pick 3.02 rookie draft
Traded 2.08, 3.02, 3.10, 2024 3rd round and 2025 3rd round for Javonte Williams

Hawks Nest 12th Man
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hawks Nest 12th Man » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:39 pm

sehon4 wrote:Hopkins. Just traded up to the 1.01 and he is the reason why.
bold move for Hopkins. Do you feel his career is Roddy White / Reggie Wayne level ?
DONKEY PUNCHERS....12 teams start 1qb, 1rb, 2wr, 1flex rb/wr/te, te, k, d/sp, 0.5ppr, all tds 6pts, 0.1pt run/rec yd, .033pt pass yd, .04 return yd all return tds 6pts, 20 player roster, 1 IR Spot, 2pt bonus all tds over 50yds...
QBs Luck, Mayfield
RBs McCaffery, Kerryon, Drake, Breida, Gio
WRs C. Davis, T Boyd, D Hamilton, Kupp, Westbrook, MVS, Callaway
TEs Engram, Graham, Hurst
DEF/SP Bills
K Elliot

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:02 pm

Ill take Hopkins all day. I really like what I see and Think he will have a long and reliable career. Wayne/Roddy is a high bar, but from a size and strengths perspective I see the comparison. He has solid size, speed, good hands, and runs crisp routes. I don't see a weakness in him...

Patterson provides that game breaking ability, which I'm not sure Hopkins has, but is so much more raw and unpredictable. If you can get the ball in his hands he is electric, but it will take more time to have him be a reliable WR who can run all the routes and be counted on.

Hopkins has a higher floor, but a lower ceiling in my opinion....so it could depend on what your team makeup is and/or what you are looking for.

laxinx57
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby laxinx57 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:46 am

If you needed a flex play in a league that gave points for return yards, would that change things for you guys?

My thinking is Patterson could put up something 45 catches, 600 total yards, 6 TDs and 900 return yards this year. In my format that would be about 185 points. Kendall Wright put up 65 for 650 and 4 TDs. I think Patterson could put up the same yardage with less catches if we are lowballing it and assuming he takes over the return duties that could be a big bonus. Am I off on this one of no?
League 1: 10 Team, 2 QB league 4th year

Rodgers, Cam
McCoy, Lacy, Bernard, Miller
Calvin, D Thomas, Green, Hopkins, Watkins, Hunter, Matthews
Gronk, Ertz

League 2: 12 Team PPR 2nd year

Kaepernick, Geno
Charles, Bell, Lacy, Vareen
D. Thomas, Hopkins, Benjamin, Cooper, J. Brown, C. Givens
Ebron

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:06 am

Go with upside, I like PAtterson
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

sehon4
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby sehon4 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:04 pm

Patterson reminds me of Robert Meachem WR formerly of the NOS and now of the SDC. All upside and no actual production. I will go with the guy that has improved each year against good competition and dominated a bowl game on National TV when his side kick went down 2 minutes into the game and he had double coverage all the way and still beat it for 13 catches, 191 yards and 2TDs and lead his team to victory. I saw the game live and rewatch it on ESPN3 on the web. On 4 and 26 he beat double coverage over the middle and made a shoe lace height catch to pick up the 1st down at mid field. The first TD he had also was a low throw that he had to go down to get in the end zone as well. Ran a perfect route that beat double coverage. The 2nd TD coverage was draped all over him and he caught a bullet from is QB on a post route at the back of the end zone and got both feet it. There is NO WAY I am going to waste my 1.01 draft on upside and nothing else. Hopkins has both upside and has shown he can do the job. I went up from 1.06 to 1.01 for Hopkins.
12 team dynasty, Protect 13 players annually, plus 3 2yr psquad- Max 4RB, Max 5WR, Max 3QB, Max 2TE, Max 1K, Max 1Def, Max 1 Flex. Roster size 18 plus 3 IR & 3 PSquad-3 2yr Psquad(signed for 2 years)
Derek Carr
WR- Mike Williams, D.K Metcalf, Tim Higgins, Terry McLaurin, Jayden Reed Michael Gallup
Traded Aaron Rodgers and Khilil Herbert for Jameson Williams & pick 3.02 rookie draft

DonBrazi
MVP
MVP

Postby DonBrazi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:36 pm

sehon4 wrote:Patterson reminds me of Robert Meachem WR formerly of the NOS and now of the SDC. All upside and no actual production. I will go with the guy that has improved each year against good competition and dominated a bowl game on National TV when his side kick went down 2 minutes into the game and he had double coverage all the way and still beat it for 13 catches, 191 yards and 2TDs and lead his team to victory. I saw the game live and rewatch it on ESPN3 on the web. On 4 and 26 he beat double coverage over the middle and made a shoe lace height catch to pick up the 1st down at mid field. The first TD he had also was a low throw that he had to go down to get in the end zone as well. Ran a perfect route that beat double coverage. The 2nd TD coverage was draped all over him and he caught a bullet from is QB on a post route at the back of the end zone and got both feet it. There is NO WAY I am going to waste my 1.01 draft on upside and nothing else. Hopkins has both upside and has shown he can do the job. I went up from 1.06 to 1.01 for Hopkins.
I totally get that Hopkins was more productive than Patterson in college... but your whole post is pure propaganda. You only presented one side of the argument as if it's the only meaningful side. Does something like Patterson's college QB vs. Hopkins' college QB matter? Or the other receiving talents on their respective teams? Or the number of years they each played D1 ball? Or the different roles they played in their offenses and special teams? Coaching staffs? Conferences? Etc. Etc.?? Patterson is just a waste (at 1.01)? Come on..
IRL 12Team 28man 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1Superflex: PPR w/ small TE-Premium
Dak, Murray, Wentz, Darnold, Fitzpatrick
CEH, Gibson, Sanders, Javonte, Moss, Nwangwu
ARob, Sutton, ODB, Parker, Ruggs, Miller, Boykin
Waller, Hockenson, Pitts, OJH, Trautman, Gesicki, Everett
2022 1st (2), 2nd, 3rd, 4th

War Room 12Team 28man: 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 4Flex, 1Superflex: .5/1/1.5 Tiered-PPR, 1-Round Devy league
Dak, Murray, LJax, *Rattler
Etienne, AJD, Hubbard, Stevenson, Hawkins, *Spiller
Sutton, ODB, Jeudy, Reagor, Shenault, Rodgers, Kirk, Boykin, *G.Wilson
Hockenson, Jonnu, Firkser, Asiasi
2022 1st (2), 2nd, 3rd, *Devy 4th (2)

sehon4
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby sehon4 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:14 am

DonBrazi wrote:
sehon4 wrote:Patterson reminds me of Robert Meachem WR formerly of the NOS and now of the SDC. All upside and no actual production. I will go with the guy that has improved each year against good competition and dominated a bowl game on National TV when his side kick went down 2 minutes into the game and he had double coverage all the way and still beat it for 13 catches, 191 yards and 2TDs and lead his team to victory. I saw the game live and rewatch it on ESPN3 on the web. On 4 and 26 he beat double coverage over the middle and made a shoe lace height catch to pick up the 1st down at mid field. The first TD he had also was a low throw that he had to go down to get in the end zone as well. Ran a perfect route that beat double coverage. The 2nd TD coverage was draped all over him and he caught a bullet from is QB on a post route at the back of the end zone and got both feet it. There is NO WAY I am going to waste my 1.01 draft on upside and nothing else. Hopkins has both upside and has shown he can do the job. I went up from 1.06 to 1.01 for Hopkins.
I totally get that Hopkins was more productive than Patterson in college... but your whole post is pure propaganda. You only presented one side of the argument as if it's the only meaningful side. Does something like Patterson's college QB vs. Hopkins' college QB matter? Or the other receiving talents on their respective teams? Or the number of years they each played D1 ball? Or the different roles they played in their offenses and special teams? Coaching staffs? Conferences? Etc. Etc.?? Patterson is just a waste (at 1.01)? Come on..
Yes it matters.
(1) Matt Schaub is much better than Ponder and the scrub they got from KC so if you are telling me that T.Boyd is better than T.Bray and thats why Hopkins out produce Patterson then he will out produce him in the NFL as well where you are playing against better coverage, so the art of route running is very important. Let me enlighten you a little. A WR knows where he is going and so does his QB on any given route. The DB has to guess. If you are good at route running and come off the snap the same way every single time the ball is snapped, same pace same look same everything the DB will be getting his tail kicked because he does not know if you are breaking left, right, coming back for the ball, or taking it over the top, he basically does not know. That's where a great route runner gets his separation and that's where a bad one gets his tail shut down.
(2) The only thing that Patterson has over Hopkins is more speed, double coverage safety over the top takes that away. Patterson has to go learn to run routes on top of the fact that his QB stil lis questionable. Hopkins has better hands than Patterson and is a better natural catcher.
(3) You said it your self he lack D1 experience and that is important. Robert Meachem lacked experience as well, Devin Thomas same thing. They were high draft picks with lots of speed coming out of college from good programs but didn't get the necessary playing time.
(4) I am not drafting a special teamer. That's what my team defense does, I want a play maker on the offensive side of the ball, not special teams.
(5) Or lets not forget that Hopkins out performed the vaunted Sammy Watkins all year long. I hear a lot about how great Wakins is going to be but the guy out produced him with 1400 yards and 18 TDs , Watkins didn't even crack 1000 yards. Justin Hunter out produced Patterson on that Tennessee team this past year coming off an injured ACL. If I am drafting a Tennessee WR this year it will be him as this will make 2 years since his injury and he should have his speed back an is a better route runner.
(6) Hopkins destroyed LSU defense in that bowl game when they knew he was going to get the ball and had him double covered. Remember the vaunted Watkins did not play in that game except for the first two snaps. He caught a 4th and 26 at shoe lace level in the 4th quarter to keep the drive alive at mid field. Patterson would have dropped that ball. Game over.

Hopefully I have explained it well .
Derek Carr

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:57 am

I like Patterson's upside.

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:02 pm

sehon4 wrote:Patterson reminds me of Robert Meachem WR formerly of the NOS and now of the SDC.
Patterson is absolutely nothing like Meachem - 2 totally different styles. Meachem in NO was a field stretcher who was like a Mike Wallace lite version who also happened to be a little taller. Outside of that, he did close to nothing in the shorter and intermediate game, and can't touch Patterson's ability with the ball in his hand/after the catch with a 10 foot pole.