Kap vs. Stafford

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
KCLep20
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Kap vs. Stafford

Postby KCLep20 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:26 am

Alright in my keeper league I'm stacked at QB and need to trade one for a RB/TE. Of course it depends on what someone is willing to give up, but I wanted to see which one I should push more than the other. My league you only start 1 QB/week and I have Brees who I don't plan on trading. So, I can either keep Kaepernick or Stafford as my backup. This is a dynasty league where you keep 11 players each year so I can technically retain all 3 if I wanted.

appreciate the feedback!
1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex (RB/WR/TE)/1 Superflex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
'Ships: 2008, 2017, 2019, 2021; 2nd place: 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022
12 team PPR with 14 Keepers/year
2023 Draft Picks: 1.04, 1.05, 1.11, 3.04, 3.07, 5.04
QB: L.Jackson, J. Burrow, G. Minshew, J. Winston
RB: J.Mixon, ETN, Jav.Williams, J.Conner, Z.Moss, JK Dobbins (IR), N.Chubb (IR)
WR: AJB, CD Lamb, DK, C.Sutton
TE: M.Andrews, T.McBride, I. Likely

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Kap vs. Stafford

Postby kmbryant09 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:43 am

Keep Kaepernick over Stafford - and for me, it isn't all that close.

But if it comes down to it, make sure you keep all 3 before you drop Stafford for an RB 3 or something. At some point you should be able to flip Stafford for something solid - much better than an RB 3.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

DAG
Captain
Captain

Postby DAG » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:35 am

Stafford stats the past 2 years
2012 16 GP 435 CMP 727 ATT 4,967 YDS 20 TDS 17 INT
2011 16 GP 421 CMP 663 ATT 5,038 YDS 41 TDS 16 INT

We do not have enough on Kaep to even compare apples to apples but my point is I will take the 25 year old with the cannon arm who has proved it for a couple years, throws to Megatron, and is in an offense that has no qualms with letting him throw the ball a ridiculous amount of times over the 25 year old with the cannon arm who just took over the reigns last season, throws to Crabtree, and is in a run first hard nosed offense.
Now maybe that changes and Kaep becomes elite. But I will take what I consider to be proof of Staffords talents over a short stat line and alot of hype in Kaep. I believe people are talking about what could be with Kaep instead of what has happened. I will take the substance first.

I would take advantage of everyone on the Kaep train and get the most out of his value as I could right now.
Krispy Kareem Donuts

12 team 22 man roster .5 ppr std 6 pt td for all. Start QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, K, ST

Goff, Mariota
Mack, K Hunt, J Adams, A Jones, J Richard, I Smith, E McGuire, Lynch, Ballage
M Thomas, Godwin, Fitzgerald, Agholor, Doctson, T Smith, D Parker, Kumerow
Kittle, Herndon

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:57 am

DAG wrote:Stafford stats the past 2 years
2012 16 GP 435 CMP 727 ATT 4,967 YDS 20 TDS 17 INT
2011 16 GP 421 CMP 663 ATT 5,038 YDS 41 TDS 16 INT

We do not have enough on Kaep to even compare apples to apples but my point is I will take the 25 year old with the cannon arm who has proved it for a couple years, throws to Megatron, and is in an offense that has no qualms with letting him throw the ball a ridiculous amount of times over the 25 year old with the cannon arm who just took over the reigns last season, throws to Crabtree, and is in a run first hard nosed offense.
Now maybe that changes and Kaep becomes elite. But I will take what I consider to be proof of Staffords talents over a short stat line and alot of hype in Kaep. I believe people are talking about what could be with Kaep instead of what has happened. I will take the substance first.

I would take advantage of everyone on the Kaep train and get the most out of his value as I could right now.
Stafford is throwing to Calving and.....? Granted, Bush is a weapon. But Kaepernick gets Crabtree (who finally exploded into a great WR), Vernon Davis (top5 TE), Anquan Boldin, and some nice receiving RB's of their own in Gore/James.

But I agree with you that if we are just talking passing stats than Stafford will likely put up the better numbers. But luckily enough for us, QB's can also get rushing stats in fantasy football! On a 16-game prorated basis, Kaepernick rushed for 826 yards and 8 TD's.

Just do play devil's advocate - Stafford just gone done playing a full season (he's had injury problems in the past), was throwing to a WR who had the most receiving yards in a season EVER in the NFL, and threw the ball 700+ times! What more could you ask for really? And he was QB 11.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

DAG
Captain
Captain

Postby DAG » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:48 am

Yeah exactly, Stafford has Megatron and ? and he still puts up those stat lines! He only had 20 TDs, which is abnormally low for those stat lines. I am not expecting 40 TD passes every year, but I am expecting more than the 20 from this past season and if you average it out to 30 per from his 2 big seasons, that puts him at the QB5 in my league.
Stafford did have some injury problems his first couple years but besides the normal season wear and tear he hopefully is past that.
Don't get me wrong with Kaep, I think he is a great talent and I love the fact that he will put up extra numbers with his rushing ability. But the reason I am not as high on that is because I just don't have faith that a running QB can stay healthy in the NFL. They take too much abuse and I believe a pocket passer has a larger life span. It seems that there has been a flux of the running QBs and they certainly can put up stats when healthy, but my preference is a good old fashioned pocket passer if they are close in value.
But I just haven't seen enough of Kaep to give up a talent like Stafford. Like I said, maybe Kaep becomes elite, but maybe he was a flash in the pan, defenses adjust, and he flops. I will take the proof at this point.
That is my point with Kaep. We just don't know yet what he is going to be. Maybe he will be great, maybe he will flop. But with how much hype he has at this point, I would take advantage of it, trade while his value is high, and hope I made the right decision.
Just my 2 cents worth, and I love the discussion too.
Krispy Kareem Donuts

12 team 22 man roster .5 ppr std 6 pt td for all. Start QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, K, ST

Goff, Mariota
Mack, K Hunt, J Adams, A Jones, J Richard, I Smith, E McGuire, Lynch, Ballage
M Thomas, Godwin, Fitzgerald, Agholor, Doctson, T Smith, D Parker, Kumerow
Kittle, Herndon

KCLep20
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby KCLep20 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:28 pm

Appreciate the discussion and it clearly shows why I can't decide between the 2. Kap certainly seems like he could have the higher ceiling but we just don't know yet. I'm guessing it will come down to who the other person likes more, because having either as my backup to Brees is still solid. Just need to maximize what I get back in return.
1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex (RB/WR/TE)/1 Superflex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
'Ships: 2008, 2017, 2019, 2021; 2nd place: 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022
12 team PPR with 14 Keepers/year
2023 Draft Picks: 1.04, 1.05, 1.11, 3.04, 3.07, 5.04
QB: L.Jackson, J. Burrow, G. Minshew, J. Winston
RB: J.Mixon, ETN, Jav.Williams, J.Conner, Z.Moss, JK Dobbins (IR), N.Chubb (IR)
WR: AJB, CD Lamb, DK, C.Sutton
TE: M.Andrews, T.McBride, I. Likely

jamesart27
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby jamesart27 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:39 pm

I usually would also side with the more traditional style QB, But in this case i dont view Kaep as a running QB, I see him as a guy who can make all the throws and be a great pocket QB but just so happens to be able to run with the best of them. So i would choose Kaep if i had to take 1 in a start up but to answer your question Id say if you dont have a love affair with either of them id sell off the 1 that gets you the most in return. But i agree if people are low balling you big time because you only keep 11 and knows you have 3 qb's i would just hold all 3 go into the season and then move 1.
Brees, Kaepernick, Tannehill
Foster, A.Morris, Lamar Miller, B.Tate, M.Gillislee, Michael Hill, Barner,Turner,D.Thomas
Nicks, Mike Wallace, Stevie Johnson, Stephen HIll, Jon Baldwin, R.Randle, T.Williams
Tony Gonzalez, Kyle Rudolph, J.Thomas
Walsh
Patriots, Chargers

Qb, 2rb, 3wr, 1te, k, D Standard Scoring 6pt all TD's

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:40 pm

I'm on the Stafford side. That is all.
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff