Baldwin vs Cobb

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
ekassor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Baldwin vs Cobb

Postby ekassor » Fri May 11, 2012 11:18 am

The nice thing about knucklehead receivers is they all seem to have WR1 upside. Still, Cobb just seems to have a great skill set. I like them both, but in the end its Cobb for me based on QB situation.

Spinkso
Captain
Captain

Postby Spinkso » Fri May 11, 2012 4:35 pm

TheOracle wrote:
Spinkso wrote:I think Cobb will see more targets, and he'll do it with teams focused on Jennings/Nelson/Finley.
Not only did you manage to make an argument for a WR by talking about all the players on his own team that are better than he is, but you made that argument based on targets. :clap: Also, when did James Jones fall off the face of the earth?
I'm not so sure that Nelson or Finley are more talented than he is. As someone who's watched every snap that Finley has taken as a Packer, he's ultra talented, but will never meed his potential. I love Nelson, but last year was a mirage. His numbers can't be duplicated.
Cobb out of the slot will be lethal. I love your elitist attitude. Post like that remind me why I quit going to the other football forums I used to go to. Thumbs up for being a douche.
And if James Jones wasn't more than a nice role player he would have established himself better, or gotten an offer last year as a FA. Those doubting Cobb only doubt his skills because they havent really watched him. I'm not saying he's Percy Harvin, but his a similar type player.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri May 11, 2012 6:51 pm

rcicack wrote:
Space Cowboy wrote:Both have a ton of talent.

Baldwin is a knucklehead who didnt perform consistently.

Cobb is a hard worker who contributed in ST and on offense.
You make good points, so who do you like better?
Cobb is very Harvin like on a loaded offense. Jennings and Nelson are both low end 1's high end 2's. Cobb I believe can be a major producer from the slot. Jones is too inconsistent.

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Sat May 12, 2012 12:02 am

I play in return yardage leagues, so I'm perhaps a bit biased, but give me Cobb.

Kaz
Captain
Captain

Postby Kaz » Sat May 12, 2012 12:15 am

Guy who had both didn't really wanna trade Baldwin (Can't blame him). He was happy to part with Cobb though!
QB: Brees, Ryan
RB: J.Taylor, K.Hunt, R.Jones, Dillon, McKinnon
WR: D.Adams, T.Hill, A.Rob, Lockett, Anderson, P.Campbell, C.Samuel
TE: Kittle, Olsen, D.Sample
DL: Ngakoue, E.Griffen, J.Sweat, Bowser
LB: Mosley, D.Jones, Warner, Treviathan, R. Evans, Okereke, M.Harrison
DB: J.Johnson, T.Mathieu, T.Walker, J.Jones, X.Woods

MoraccoMole
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby MoraccoMole » Sat May 12, 2012 6:50 am

Cobb is the choice for me. I read somewhere that he should be taking over for Driver this year. The percentage of snaps at their position shifted heavily toward Cobb at the end of the year. He is more dynamic than Baldwin.

Spinkso
Captain
Captain

Postby Spinkso » Sat May 12, 2012 8:14 am

MoraccoMole wrote:Cobb is the choice for me. I read somewhere that he should be taking over for Driver this year. The percentage of snaps at their position shifted heavily toward Cobb at the end of the year. He is more dynamic than Baldwin.
Plus his first real off season in that offense. I think he'll take the job outright from Jones. I think Driver has been past by Cobb and Jones, and just can't see keeping him around as the fifth WR that doesn't play on special teams.
I think the WR rotation is then cut down to four WR's that compile weekly numbers. If you take Cobb/Driver/Jones numbers and add everything together you get
100 receptions from 141 targets for 1455 yards and 14 TDS. If you were to give Cobb 60% of that production, which I don't think is a stretch, you get
60-900-8/9 TD's. I think 65-1000-6 is attainable. It all comes down to packages, and I think Cobb is going to put himself in a position where the coaches have to keep him on the field.

If Baldwin were in another situation on another team my opinion would more than likely be different, but I have zero confidence the quarterback, who's ceiling seems to be around 3000 yards and has only managed to make one receiver productive in Bowe.
Romeo Crennel's offenses have always been dumpster fires, due to bad hires or whatever reason...
Brian Daboll, the OC has produced the 32nd, 29th, and 20th offenses in his three years as an OC.
I'm just not seeing anything in Kansas City that is substantial in terms of fantasy value outside of Bowe and the running game.

joshb
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby joshb » Sat May 12, 2012 4:19 pm

I think Cobb is more talented than Jordy and he's definitely more talented than Jones. I have serious doubts about Driver even being on the team this year. I just don't see them keeping him around when they've got other, much younger, WR's they'd like to make the roster, i.e. Gurley, Borel, or possibly even Moss.
12 team non-ppr
QB Murray, Stafford
RB JT, Chubb, A. Jones, Dobbins, D. Pierce, R. White, K. Miller
WR Deebo, Metcalf, Higgins, Juju, E. Moore, Toney, M. Wilson, T. Thornton
TE Schultz, Kincaid, Musgrave, Likely

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Mon May 14, 2012 8:54 am

Spinkso wrote:I think Driver has been past by Cobb and Jones, and just can't see keeping him around as the fifth WR that doesn't play on special teams.
I think the WR rotation is then cut down to four WR's that compile weekly numbers.
One thing to add to this point - Finley's agent tried to get him franchised under the WR tag since he splits his snaps right at about 50/50 between out wide and attached to the line. He essenitally makes five receivers in the Jennings, Nelson, Cobb and Jones mix, relegating Driver to what amounts to the sixth receiver role. To add to that, the Packers have drafted no fewer than 35 traditional tight ends in the last three drafts if they need one to block.

My only concern with us assuming Cobb is destined to be the slot guy is that Jennings and Finley see plenty of time in the slot. Jennings had more targets from the slot than outside last year and that's not just on third down, either. Jones and Nelson are almost exclusively outside guys so they aren't the issue unless they play well out there and kick Jennings inside where he is just as effective.

The good news about Cobb as the slot guy are his numbers from 2011 in that role: 22 receptions on 25 targets (88%), 333 yards (13.3 YPA) and a TD. Can't argue with that after a 2 week offseason.
10 Team/26-man dynasty/PPR/Year 10/4-6 pt TDs/2QB-2RB-2WR-2RB/WR-2TE
QB-Goff/Rosen/Lock/Grier/Luck
RB-Mack/Hunt/RoJones/Bernard/Snell/AP/Edwards/Ajayi
WR-ODB/Robinson/T.Williams/Davis/Anderson/Cobb/Renfrow
TE-Kelce/Goedert/Njoku/Rudolph/Oliver
2020 - Currently and likely 1.01, have all of my own picks

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Sat May 19, 2012 11:36 am

I'm going with J Baldwin because there is more upside there.

Cobb is safer of course, and he's going to produce in that offense and be a very good player for them, but as things are now Jennings is locked in as the #1 WR, Jordy as the #2 guy, Finley as the TE, and whatever is left gets spread around to JJ and Cobb. I don't see any of those first 3 options changing anytime in the near future barring injury, and that's just not exciting to me for a fantasy prospect.

In terms of Baldwin, Bowe could get re-signed but he still hasn't yet and there is some potential here for them to wait and let Baldwin develop, then maybe trade Bowe next off-season saving the money and letting Baldwin be the #1 guy. Stretch yea, but the scenario is there. Worst case Bowe is signed long term and he flourishes opposite him with single coverage.

I mean, Baldwin is carrying a size not too many WR's have and he can jump through the roof. He's explosive, and showed plenty of flashes of being a dominant #1 WR. Were so impatient now that we want to see stardom from the get go but it doesn't always happen that way. It may take Baldwin until year 3 to fully explode but I'm expecting 600+ yards and 6 TD's out of him next year at least with the potential to be a stud in year 3. He might be a knucklehead but he hasn't showed any signs of being anything but a developing young stud WR thus far, so I can't assume he won't reach that potential.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)