Baldwin vs Cobb

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Kaz
Captain
Captain

Baldwin vs Cobb

Postby Kaz » Wed May 09, 2012 1:07 pm

Who would you rather have in the short and long term? I'm looking at acquiring one of them before my draft starts, but I'm undecided about who I like more. Or perhaps someone could recommend another breakout WR that would be in the same price range as these two?
QB: Brees, Ryan
RB: J.Taylor, K.Hunt, R.Jones, Dillon, McKinnon
WR: D.Adams, T.Hill, A.Rob, Lockett, Anderson, P.Campbell, C.Samuel
TE: Kittle, Olsen, D.Sample
DL: Ngakoue, E.Griffen, J.Sweat, Bowser
LB: Mosley, D.Jones, Warner, Treviathan, R. Evans, Okereke, M.Harrison
DB: J.Johnson, T.Mathieu, T.Walker, J.Jones, X.Woods

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Baldwin vs Cobb

Postby MR ROURKE » Wed May 09, 2012 1:15 pm

Baldwin for me. Higher upside, but lower floor/more risk. I like upside.

TheOracle
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby TheOracle » Wed May 09, 2012 1:35 pm

Baldwin. Not really close for me.
12 team//24 Man Roster//1QB,2RB,4WR,1TE,1RB/WR/TE/1K/1DST//0.5 point PPR//$350 Salary Cap (Salary per year/Years)
QB= Stafford (19/3), Luck (10/1), Locker (1/1),
RB= Forte (39/3), Murray (11/3), Mathews (34/3), Martin (10/1), Tate (11/3), Hunter (6/1), F. Jones (3/1)
WR= Green (21/3), Harvin (27/3), Maclin (33/3), Bowe (23/1) Thomas (11/3), Quick (5/1), Hill (10/1)
TE= Hernandez (19/1), Rudolph (8/1)

12 Team, non-PPR, All TDs 6, QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, DEF, K, 20 man rosters, cut to 14 for Rookie/FA Draft
QB: RG3, Newton, Wilson
RB: Richardson, Martin, Spiller, Charles, L. Miller, L. James,
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Cruz, Marshall, Fitzgerald, Alexander, Hankerson,
TE: Gronk,

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed May 09, 2012 1:52 pm

I traded for both of them this off season
agree that baldwin has a higher ceiling - but like cobb as well since I can pair him with rodgers assuming driver retires and he outshines james jones
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

feartheturtle7
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby feartheturtle7 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:56 pm

Baldwin has so much potential, but I worry about his make-up as a player. Not sure if he will do the right things to keep his career trajectory on path to becoming an elite receiver.

Cobb is explosive, but depth chart limits his production. Do not see Jennings or Jordy going anywhere soon, so he maxes out at a WR3 over the next few years.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Wed May 09, 2012 2:50 pm

which Baldwin?

:roll:

-oo-

Kaz
Captain
Captain

Postby Kaz » Wed May 09, 2012 3:19 pm

meineymoe wrote:which Baldwin?

:roll:

-oo-
Jon of course! Although, I was surprised Doug had such a good year, and think he could be a sneaky play. That all depends on the health of Sid and Big Mike though.
QB: Brees, Ryan
RB: J.Taylor, K.Hunt, R.Jones, Dillon, McKinnon
WR: D.Adams, T.Hill, A.Rob, Lockett, Anderson, P.Campbell, C.Samuel
TE: Kittle, Olsen, D.Sample
DL: Ngakoue, E.Griffen, J.Sweat, Bowser
LB: Mosley, D.Jones, Warner, Treviathan, R. Evans, Okereke, M.Harrison
DB: J.Johnson, T.Mathieu, T.Walker, J.Jones, X.Woods

Spinkso
Captain
Captain

Postby Spinkso » Wed May 09, 2012 6:08 pm

I believe that the no.3 WR on Green Bay is worth a lot more than the no.2 on KC.
Cassell in his three years as KC's QB has put up yardage totals of
2009: 2994 yards
2010: 3116 yards
2011: 2800 yards, if you prorate what he did prior to his injury...

Rodgers, over that same span has put up 4400, 3900, and 4600 yards... Plus the 34 TD's he averages a year.

With Rodgers spreading the love to everyone, I think Cobb will see more targets, and he'll do it with teams focused on Jennings/Nelson/Finley. I fully expect Cobb to be the no.3 WR, and the Packers to run a base offense utilizing 3wr/1TE offense.

If you get points for return yardage it tips the scales even more for me.

Long term is too hard to say at this point. Baldwin has all the talent to be a stud, but his work ethic and mental makeup have been questioned since his days at Pitt. Greg Jennings contract is coming up soon, and if all hell breaks loose and they can't keep him in town, Cobb becomes a starter.

As long as Randall Cobb has Aaron Rodgers throwing to him, I'm taking him over the second option for Matt Cassel.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Wed May 09, 2012 6:15 pm

Spinkso wrote:With Rodgers spreading the love to everyone, I think Cobb will see more targets, and he'll do it with teams focused on Jennings/Nelson/Finley. I fully expect Cobb to be the no.3 WR, and the Packers to run a base offense utilizing 3wr/1TE offense.
You say this like a defense can actually focus on taking three very good players out of the game... can't be done. They can pick one, but that will just cause another to get open even easier, which is one of the reasons why the offense is so good. We already know that the WR3 spot in the GB offense is a nice spot, but it's not starting material in the FF world. Sure a big game sometimes, but nothing that you can count on to start the player.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed May 09, 2012 8:21 pm

Both have a ton of talent.

Baldwin is a knucklehead who didnt perform consistently.

Cobb is a hard worker who contributed in ST and on offense.

Spinkso
Captain
Captain

Postby Spinkso » Thu May 10, 2012 1:33 pm

MR ROURKE wrote:
Spinkso wrote:With Rodgers spreading the love to everyone, I think Cobb will see more targets, and he'll do it with teams focused on Jennings/Nelson/Finley. I fully expect Cobb to be the no.3 WR, and the Packers to run a base offense utilizing 3wr/1TE offense.
You say this like a defense can actually focus on taking three very good players out of the game... can't be done. They can pick one, but that will just cause another to get open even easier, which is one of the reasons why the offense is so good. We already know that the WR3 spot in the GB offense is a nice spot, but it's not starting material in the FF world. Sure a big game sometimes, but nothing that you can count on to start the player.
Cobb wasn't the no.3 last year, it was a rotation. I think he cements himself as THE no.3 receiver with James Jones being the fourth, and Driver picking up the scraps if he's back. I'd also argue that WR2 spot in Kansas City isn't starter material in the fantasy world either. You've got to keep what I said in context. GB WR3=More opportunity than KC WR2.

TheOracle
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby TheOracle » Thu May 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Spinkso wrote:I think Cobb will see more targets, and he'll do it with teams focused on Jennings/Nelson/Finley.
Not only did you manage to make an argument for a WR by talking about all the players on his own team that are better than he is, but you made that argument based on targets. :clap: Also, when did James Jones fall off the face of the earth?
12 team//24 Man Roster//1QB,2RB,4WR,1TE,1RB/WR/TE/1K/1DST//0.5 point PPR//$350 Salary Cap (Salary per year/Years)
QB= Stafford (19/3), Luck (10/1), Locker (1/1),
RB= Forte (39/3), Murray (11/3), Mathews (34/3), Martin (10/1), Tate (11/3), Hunter (6/1), F. Jones (3/1)
WR= Green (21/3), Harvin (27/3), Maclin (33/3), Bowe (23/1) Thomas (11/3), Quick (5/1), Hill (10/1)
TE= Hernandez (19/1), Rudolph (8/1)

12 Team, non-PPR, All TDs 6, QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, DEF, K, 20 man rosters, cut to 14 for Rookie/FA Draft
QB: RG3, Newton, Wilson
RB: Richardson, Martin, Spiller, Charles, L. Miller, L. James,
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Cruz, Marshall, Fitzgerald, Alexander, Hankerson,
TE: Gronk,

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Thu May 10, 2012 3:06 pm

I own both and like both of their chances. Baldwin has all the physical tools and unlimited upside but, kind of like a poor man's Dez, he needs to show he has the heart and brain to really make an impact.

Those penciling Cobb in the GB slot this year are probably dead on. I have been watching some 2011 games recently and Cobb looked like a natural in there. I saw him compared to Harvin in another thread. While that's a reach, I think he does have that dynamic aspect to his game where any crossing pattern can be taken for a good chunk on any play. With all the other weapons around him, all he'll need is a few targets to play with.

That being said, I have Baldwin ranked slightly higher. He carries his 6-4, 230 lbs frame as well as any big guy I can think of. He showed some separation speed last year and solid ball skills. Cassel isn't a perfect QB but plenty of solid WRs don't have great passers throwing their way. Look at Calvin early in his career, Fitzgerald/Marshall/Britt lately, etc. Situations change. Natural talent rarely does.
10 Team/26-man dynasty/PPR/Year 10/4-6 pt TDs/2QB-2RB-2WR-2RB/WR-2TE
QB-Goff/Rosen/Lock/Grier/Luck
RB-Mack/Hunt/RoJones/Bernard/Snell/AP/Edwards/Ajayi
WR-ODB/Robinson/T.Williams/Davis/Anderson/Cobb/Renfrow
TE-Kelce/Goedert/Njoku/Rudolph/Oliver
2020 - Currently and likely 1.01, have all of my own picks

Richman
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Richman » Thu May 10, 2012 8:58 pm

Space Cowboy wrote:Both have a ton of talent.

Baldwin is a knucklehead who didnt perform consistently.

Cobb is a hard worker who contributed in ST and on offense.
You make good points, so who do you like better?
gangsta blue *League Champ*(1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1K,1D) 12 Team/20 Player
QB:A Rodgers
WR:Fitz,Nicks,Maclin,Garcon,D.Rodgers
RB:Rice,McCoy,R Mathews,Stacy,Michaels,Hunter,J.Bell,K.Davis,Leshoure,M.James,L.Murray
TE:Cameron,Ertz,A.Robinson

Blue Droogie(1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1D) 16 Team/20 Player
QB:P Manning,Luck,Mallett
WR:Nicks,D Thomas,Garcon,Thompkins
RB:Rice,Forte,Mathews,Vereen,Helu,K.Davis,L.Murray
TE:Cameron,Rudolph,A.Robinson

Richman
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Richman » Thu May 10, 2012 9:02 pm

back to back posts for me in the same thread. I like Baldwin better because I see him as being a real starter in fantasy and Cobb as a only a role player.
gangsta blue *League Champ*(1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1K,1D) 12 Team/20 Player
QB:A Rodgers
WR:Fitz,Nicks,Maclin,Garcon,D.Rodgers
RB:Rice,McCoy,R Mathews,Stacy,Michaels,Hunter,J.Bell,K.Davis,Leshoure,M.James,L.Murray
TE:Cameron,Ertz,A.Robinson

Blue Droogie(1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1D) 16 Team/20 Player
QB:P Manning,Luck,Mallett
WR:Nicks,D Thomas,Garcon,Thompkins
RB:Rice,Forte,Mathews,Vereen,Helu,K.Davis,L.Murray
TE:Cameron,Rudolph,A.Robinson