Pead or Hillman?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Pead or Hillman?

Postby holy_stromboli » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:15 pm

With Pead backing up SJax and Hillman behind Mcgahee and Slow-shon, I am debating which RB is a better target later on in the draft. I will admit that I'm not too familiar with either guy, but they both seem to be smaller backs with good speed. From Youtube highlights, seems like Pead fights off tackles a little better, but Hillman has a nice jump-cut and quickness. Are they both just a change-of-pace guy, or is there any feature back potential due to situation/talent?

chops
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Pead or Hillman?

Postby chops » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:21 pm

holy_stromboli wrote:With Pead backing up SJax and Hillman behind Mcgahee and Slow-shon, I am debating which RB is a better target later on in the draft. I will admit that I'm not too familiar with either guy, but they both seem to be smaller backs with good speed. From Youtube highlights, seems like Pead fights off tackles a little better, but Hillman has a nice jump-cut and quickness. Are they both just a change-of-pace guy, or is there any feature back potential due to situation/talent?

I feel Hillman has more potential as an every down back even though he is somewhat undersized. He has shown the most big play ability and is your best shot at a breakout.

hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

Postby hamburglar » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:45 pm

I really would like to hear some people break these two down versus one another as I pick at 1.9 and figure I might be looking at them there.

hardy0109
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby hardy0109 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:45 am

I've heard Pead can be a #1 RB and that he is always just going to be change of pace. I have heard that Hillman is a terrible locking back, thus giving up his third down opportunities, at least for now. With Hillman already behind McGahee and possible even Moreno/Ball, I like Pead better for fantasy leagues. Schefter says that Pead is expected to be the successor of SJax, which means Pead could come in and start in the next few years with the age of SJax. I'm take Pead before Hillman, time and time again.

hailskins
Rookie
Rookie

Postby hailskins » Tue May 01, 2012 1:00 pm

In our draft, I just took Hillman over Pead. I think Hillman has a better chance to take over sooner. McGahee is getting old and will not be able to duplicate what he did last season. Moreno and Ball don't worry me since Moreno can't stay healthy and I don't see Ball as a serious threat.

Pead still has to contend with SJax and I've heard that he will never be considered the #1 guy in St Louis.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Tue May 01, 2012 1:48 pm

I have Pead a tier below the WRs who will be there at the bottom of the first round, so it's difficult for me to recommend him at 1.09 - your best hope is that Lamar Miller lasts to that pick.

-oo-

hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

Postby hamburglar » Tue May 01, 2012 4:04 pm

meineymoe wrote:I have Pead a tier below the WRs who will be there at the bottom of the first round, so it's difficult for me to recommend him at 1.09 - your best hope is that Lamar Miller lasts to that pick.

-oo-
so are people still lamar miller believers? because someone has to fall to me at 1.9... i also own the 1.10 for what its worth but then I dont pick again until round 4 and 5... im assuming that will just be garbage time there...

shivs
Captain
Captain

Postby shivs » Tue May 01, 2012 4:24 pm

hamburglar wrote:
meineymoe wrote:I have Pead a tier below the WRs who will be there at the bottom of the first round, so it's difficult for me to recommend him at 1.09 - your best hope is that Lamar Miller lasts to that pick.

-oo-
so are people still lamar miller believers? because someone has to fall to me at 1.9... i also own the 1.10 for what its worth but then I dont pick again until round 4 and 5... im assuming that will just be garbage time there...
Players rise and fall for all sorts of reasons unbeknownst to us. Although Lamar Miller slipped in the draft he found a great landing spot and has a great chance to be the starter next season. Pre-draft some had Miller at the 4 spot. With all the turmoil and players landing in bad situations, one has the ability to capitalize on a "draft-faller" and get exceptional value.
"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it" - Steve Prefontaine

12 Tm, nonPPR, kr's, IDP. QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, K, DL, LB, DB, DL/LB/DB
QB: P. Manning, Glennon, Palmer, Freeman
RB: Peterson, Rice, R. Bush, J. Bell, Pierce, Cunningham
WR: A. Johnson, J. Nelson, Fitzgerald, M. Austin, M. Jones, Givens, Hartline, Wayne (IR)
TE: Graham, Gates, Bostick, Hill
K: Novak
DL: Quinn, Wake
LB: Laurinaitis, Posluszny, Washington
DB: Barron

ascherb
Starter
Starter

Postby ascherb » Wed May 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Give me Pead.

Hillman is reportedly a terrible blocker and subpar receiver, so as a small guy, where and when can he play longterm?

People saying Knowshon is injury-prone? SJax is way more injury prone and he's wearing down.

Pead.
Please give us a visit for awesome FF content:

extrapointff.com

dresden
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby dresden » Thu May 03, 2012 5:03 am

ascherb wrote: Hillman is reportedly a terrible blocker and subpar receiver, so as a small guy, where and when can he play longterm?
I've heard the blocking comment a couple of times and honestly don't know what to believe at this point. This is from the ESPN scouting report:

"Never going to be a sit and anchor pass blocker but surprisingly effective in this area. Recognizes pressure, steps up and cuts the legs out from under blitzing defenders. Chips defensive ends when releases off tackle."

(To me) that says he can't sit and block because he's small, but that he does everything someone of that size can do when blocking. With all of the conflicting information, I don't think Hillman's blocking abilities (or lack thereof) can really be used in any argument.

I'll agree that S-Jax is getting old, but he doesn't deserve the injury prone label. He missed 1 game in 2009, played every game in 2010 and missed 1 game in 2011. The game he missed last year was week 2. He played every game for the rest of the season and didn't look like he lost much. It's not like he played poorly in a great offense; the Rams offense was horrible.
12 team, PPR, 4 pt QB TDs, 25 ret yds/pt.
Start: 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 4 RB/WR/TE

QB: M Ryan, B Bortles, D Carr;
RB: L McCoy, J Stewart, L Murray, T Riddick, R Turbin, K Robinson, K Carey, J Gray, K Williams;
WR: Julio, S Watkins, J Matthews, K Allen, J Landry, M Crabtree, C Patterson, P Harvin, R Woods, P Garcon, M Wilson, A Holmes, J Janis (TS);
TE: C Clay, D Pitta, J Gresham, R Rodgers, L Wilson

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:32 am

I agree with Meiney...although Miller is today's falling dynasty RB, he is probably a better bet to have a decent career than Pead or Hillman long term! From what I've read, prior to the NFL Draft, Hillman was going in the late 3rd or 4th round of rookie drafts prior getting drafted by Denver! If we all believe in talent over situation as most (not all) Dynasty Sage's preach, then Miller still is a decent, long term prospect. Hillman is a good back who probably can not handle the full workload of an atypical NFL RB!
Pead is a good back who was highly productive in college but he seems to be built as more of a change of pace back! The post draft analysis has been giving mixed messages saying he is not SJax's replacement but more of a change of pace back!
Of course, there are always smaller backs who make it bigger than we predict ...I think they both are now getting drafted in late 1st/early 2nd based upon the presumed opportunity they have in the near future. What could happen and there is no way to control this from where we stand, both Pead and Hillman get the job due to injury this season etc...What are the odds Denver and St Louis draft a bigger back to pair up with these guys? I know this is the nature of OUR business, I just trying to pint out that players get under and overrated all the time!
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

ekassor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ekassor » Thu May 03, 2012 6:13 pm

ascherb wrote:People saying Knowshon is injury-prone? SJax is way more injury prone and he's wearing down.
Lol, If Knoshown gets a hangnail he's sitting, if Sjax has his spinal cord severed he'd finish the game anyway. Both RBs are getting older but I think Hillman will get his shot 1st. Hillman looks more the 'carry the load' type back, but Denver says he's not. Pead looks more the CoP type back, but St. Louis says he's not. Its all coachspeak this time of year.

Hillman did have an injury which I believe limits his lateral agility, but he is still a viable choice in a one cut and go scheme. Waldman ranks Hillman just above Pead FWIW.

TheFFGhost
Role Player
Role Player

Postby TheFFGhost » Sun May 06, 2012 8:36 pm

I'm going for Hillman as Pead will likely take over Cadillac's role in the short term and the Rams will get a more well rounded back to take over in two to three years.

JhWesley
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby JhWesley » Sun May 06, 2012 10:19 pm

ascherb wrote:Give me Pead.

Hillman is reportedly a terrible blocker and subpar receiver, so as a small guy, where and when can he play longterm?

People saying Knowshon is injury-prone? SJax is way more injury prone and he's wearing down.

Pead.
You're making this claim based on what exactly? Sjax has missed 2 games in the last 3 years

scott_peak
All Pro
All Pro

Postby scott_peak » Mon May 07, 2012 3:46 pm

hamburglar wrote:

-oo-
I think Pead should be there at 1.09. If I had to choose, I'd take Pead over Hillman.
Twitter: @scott_peak