Aaron Jones or OJ Howard?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

OJ Howard or Aaron Jones

O.J. Howard
42%
Aaron Jones
58%

Total votes: 38

ajf235
Role Player
Role Player

Aaron Jones or OJ Howard?

Postby ajf235 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:50 am

Who do you think is the better player to own in half PPR in 2019 and 2020: Aaron Jones or OJ Howard?

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: Aaron Jones or OJ Howard?

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:55 am

ajf235 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:50 am Who do you think is the better player to own in half PPR in 2019 and 2020: Aaron Jones or OJ Howard?
OJ Howard is the better player at his position, but there are a lot of worries now about how Arians will use him. Jones though plays the more valuable position and has looked incredible at times.

Ultimately I like OJ more and he's the one I would prefer to build my lineup with, BUT I think Jones has higher trade/ADP value. So I would prefer to have Jones at the moment, and then try to work out a Jones for OJ (or similar player) + deal.

ajf235
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ajf235 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:22 am

bjd5211 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:55 am
ajf235 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:50 am Who do you think is the better player to own in half PPR in 2019 and 2020: Aaron Jones or OJ Howard?
OJ Howard is the better player at his position, but there are a lot of worries now about how Arians will use him. Jones though plays the more valuable position and has looked incredible at times.

Ultimately I like OJ more and he's the one I would prefer to build my lineup with, BUT I think Jones has higher trade/ADP value. So I would prefer to have Jones at the moment, and then try to work out a Jones for OJ (or similar player) + deal.
This is what I’m thinking too. Although I disagree that Arians won’t use him. Arians has never had a tight end that’s been anywhere near the caliber of OJ Howard. I think Arians’ lack of TE usage is a product of him not having good TEs to work with, not that he’s anti-TE.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:16 am

I didn't say that I was worried about how Arians would use him, just that it's a topic of concern with a lot of people and it's affecting his market value.

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:04 am

ajf235 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:22 am
bjd5211 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:55 am

This is what I’m thinking too. Although I disagree that Arians won’t use him. Arians has never had a tight end that’s been anywhere near the caliber of OJ Howard. I think Arians’ lack of TE usage is a product of him not having good TEs to work with, not that he’s anti-TE.
As HC in Arizona, agreed he lacked superstar TEs. Digging through the stats, I see a lot of "meh" years from their top TEs which included Housler, Carlson, Fells, Gresham, etc.

Going back to his OC days in Pittsburgh might be a more interesting comparison. A few "meh" Heath Miller years with 400-600 yards and a few TDs. Save to say Howard's floor is at least that, provided he plays 16 games. Miller did have 1 season of 789-6 TDs under Arians. How much higher do we think Howard's ceiling is than that, becomes the question. OJ Howard is probably a better athlete but Heath Miller was no slouch on those teams. It is also worth noting that the 2nd TE on those Pitt teams, usually Matt Spaeth, hardly did anything. Possibly a bad sign for Cameron Brate owners.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Xavier Hutchinson
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: All my picks except 3rd rounder

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

Motay316
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Motay316 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:36 pm

I think these 2 guys are about even and it reflects in the results of the poll thus far. I think that Howard has a more solidified role in the Bucs offense, Jones will no doubt be splitting carries with Jamaal Williams next season. With that being said half point ppr hurts Howard a little in this format but Howard is a TD threat at the TE position which I think evens things up. I lean towards the Howard side.
Team A-1 Pt PPR, 1 Pt per 10yds rec, rushing, 1 Pt 30 yds passing, 6 Pts per TD, 2 pts per tackle
QB-Rodgers, Lawrence, Tannehill
RB-CMC, Henry, Kamara, Patterson, Mattison
WR-Waddle, Lamb, Godwin, Aiyuk, Thomas,
TE-Andrews, Engram, Njoku, Smith Jr., Henry
K-
DL-Leonard, Wilkins, Buckner
LB-Wagner, Werner, Leonard
DB-Buddah Baker, Jamal Adams, Harrison Smith, White

Team B-1 Pt PPR, 1 Pt per 10yds rec, rushing, 1 Pt 30 yds passing, 6 Pts per TD, 2 pts per tackle
QB-A. Richardson, Rodgers, L. Jackson, Love
RB- Conner, McGlaughlin
WR-Chase, Kupp, McLaurin, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Kirk, Dotson
TE-Ferguson, Higbee
K-Blankenship
DL- Wilkins, Hunter
LB-David, Hendricks, CJ Mosely, Holecomb
DB- Baker,

ajf235
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ajf235 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:12 pm

Motay316 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:36 pm I think these 2 guys are about even and it reflects in the results of the poll thus far. I think that Howard has a more solidified role in the Bucs offense, Jones will no doubt be splitting carries with Jamaal Williams next season. With that being said half point ppr hurts Howard a little in this format but Howard is a TD threat at the TE position which I think evens things up. I lean towards the Howard side.
Why do you assume Jones will be splitting Carries next year? He won the workhorse role over Williams when they were both healthy and averaged about 18 touches and 100 scrimmage yards per game while averaging >5 ypc in the 7 games he was the clear-cut starter. His receiving chops and pass blocking have improved to the point where they’re not far off from Williams and he’s the far superior runner to Williams. Williams has only started when Jones has been injured. I’m not saying Jones doesn’t have injury concerns, but do you really expect Williams to get that much work if both are healthy?

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:35 am

ajf235 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:12 pm
Motay316 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:36 pm I think these 2 guys are about even and it reflects in the results of the poll thus far. I think that Howard has a more solidified role in the Bucs offense, Jones will no doubt be splitting carries with Jamaal Williams next season. With that being said half point ppr hurts Howard a little in this format but Howard is a TD threat at the TE position which I think evens things up. I lean towards the Howard side.
Why do you assume Jones will be splitting Carries next year? He won the workhorse role over Williams when they were both healthy and averaged about 18 touches and 100 scrimmage yards per game while averaging >5 ypc in the 7 games he was the clear-cut starter. His receiving chops and pass blocking have improved to the point where they’re not far off from Williams and he’s the far superior runner to Williams. Williams has only started when Jones has been injured. I’m not saying Jones doesn’t have injury concerns, but do you really expect Williams to get that much work if both are healthy?
he's consistently hurt a couple games a year, there's a lot of rumblings that the pack bring another back in, they don't have significant draft stock invested in him. All these combined with a new HC, OC, etc leads to a lot of unknowns, unknowns with an RB that the team hasn't put much of anything in tank value

ajf235
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ajf235 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:16 pm

Damn exactly even on the voting. I think OJ Howard is def the superior long-term play but I think Aaron Jones will start next year as the lead RB in an Aaron Rodgers-led offense giving him more trade value in week 1 than OJ Howard.

If Cam Brate gets cut this offseason, do you guys think Howard becomes unobtainable for just Jones or do you think people view Howard as having already ascended and basically don’t factor the threat of Brate into his value anymore anyway?

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:43 am

ajf235 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:16 pm Damn exactly even on the voting. I think OJ Howard is def the superior long-term play but I think Aaron Jones will start next year as the lead RB in an Aaron Rodgers-led offense giving him more trade value in week 1 than OJ Howard.

If Cam Brate gets cut this offseason, do you guys think Howard becomes unobtainable for just Jones or do you think people view Howard as having already ascended and basically don’t factor the threat of Brate into his value anymore anyway?
See my comment above. I think the TE2 becomes irrelevant in his offense and therefore Brate making the cut or not shouldn't move the needle too much on Howard.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Xavier Hutchinson
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: All my picks except 3rd rounder

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:27 pm

I would lean Howard due to the lack of TE options in fantasy currently that are safe point scorers. Jones will likely score more points but getting 8-15 from a TE on a regular basis is a big deal. I think Howard should fall into the point spectrum for years to come.