Damien Williams with new Contract

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
FoolNelson
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Damien Williams with new Contract

Postby FoolNelson » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:42 am

So Williams just singed a 2 year deal to stay with KC and they don't have anything else lined up at RB. He's barely in the top 100 on DLF's rankings and only two even have him ranked.

Contract seems to indicate that he'll get a shot at starting next year. Small sample size seems to indicate that he'll be RB1 if he does.

Where's his value at before the new league year?

senska11
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Damien Williams with new Contract

Postby senska11 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:23 am

Depends on the details of the contract. He was set to be a FA after this year.
My thought is they really signed him to a one year deal with an option to keep him for the 2nd year or cut him with little consequence. They probably draft or sign at least one RB this offseason. Williams may or may not go into the season as the starter.

If he is the starter, in that offense he's a RB2 lock with RB1 upside.
I guess my overall thought on it is, if I can sell him at RB2 value right now, I'm jumping on it because I don't think he's a long term starter there.

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:13 pm

For a veteran player the contract is pretty minimal, this just tells me they are planning on drafting a cheap RB rather than go big for Coleman or Bell. He'll get his start as the incumbent but we've seen too many guys come and go in his situation. I wouldn't value him too much more than he already is.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:05 am

This contract signals to me that a sell high window is slapping anyone rostering Damien in the face. I doubt most sell because they think they found gold, but in fact they have pyrite.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:11 pm

Bot101 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:05 am This contract signals to me that a sell high window is slapping anyone rostering Damien in the face. I doubt most sell because they think they found gold, but in fact they have pyrite.
We have seen this so many times where an incumbent gets all but written off in the offseason and sold for pennies and then still ends up holding on to the job the next year.

Just this year we saw it with Chris Carson and Peyton Barber. KC will undoubtedly bring someone in but if they get off to a slow start like Rojo/Penny did and Williams gets another chance to impress he could be great value for a 3rd round pick or whatever people are trying to give away Williams for.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:58 pm

Vcize wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:11 pm
Bot101 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:05 am This contract signals to me that a sell high window is slapping anyone rostering Damien in the face. I doubt most sell because they think they found gold, but in fact they have pyrite.
We have seen this so many times where an incumbent gets all but written off in the offseason and sold for pennies and then still ends up holding on to the job the next year.

Just this year we saw it with Chris Carson and Peyton Barber. KC will undoubtedly bring someone in but if they get off to a slow start like Rojo/Penny did and Williams gets another chance to impress he could be great value for a 3rd round pick or whatever people are trying to give away Williams for.
We also see all the time that incumbents that aren't really all that special with relativelysmall contracts become irrelevant. Latavius Murray before Cook, Hyde before Chubb, Ware before Hunt (I know due to injury but it was inevitable) are the first 3 that comes to mind.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Damien Williams signed for 4 mil per year MAX in his two year contract

That's veteran insurance/depth money. 90% sure the Chiefs draft their starting running back for 2019 with one of their two 2nd round picks next year. Knowing they have 2 2nds, they may even grab an rb with their late first and it wouldn't surprise me

Always a chance the rookie rb is a bust or can't figure out pass protection and Damien Williams would be the lead in the committee then if that happened, but that's all I see from him next year despite his pickup winning me both my leagues this year. He'll hold a special place in my heart forever
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:41 pm

With more pressing needs at corner, safety and edge rush, I can't see KC using an early pick at rb. KC will absolutely add someone via the draft or a cheap FA and maybe somebody falls in the draft but even then, barring injury in the playoffs, I think Williams goes into the off-season as the starter.

Reid leans on one guy traditionally, so if Williams is the guy, he has solid value in that offense for at least 2019. Systems can make rbs and he's show good power and speed, agility along the sideline and receiving chops when given the opportunity.

If you're a rebuild, you should've already sold during the playoffs. Otherwise he's a hold for me, unless someone blows you away with an offer.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:15 pm

Titans95 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:58 pm

We also see all the time that incumbents that aren't really all that special with relativelysmall contracts become irrelevant. Latavius Murray before Cook, Hyde before Chubb, Ware before Hunt (I know due to injury but it was inevitable) are the first 3 that comes to mind.
Sure, which is why I wouldn't recommend spending a 1st to acquire him. Luckily, you don't have to or anything near it.

What's he even going for right now, a 3rd? MAYBE a late 2nd? Yeah I'm OK spending that on a guy who could be a fantasy RB1 if whatever rookie they bring in is slow to pick up pass protection for the franchise QB that their whole team is built around.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

LMS123
All Pro
All Pro

Postby LMS123 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:48 pm

I have him in team 1 in sig; I think you might as well hold; if you're going to get a 3rd round pick in return id rather have a chance at holding the chiefs starting rb then trade him for a 3rd and take a flier on a guy.

If you trade him and he starts in 2019: You gain little but lose big
If you trade him and he doesn't start: You gain little and lose nothing
If you keep him and he doesn't start: You gain nothing and lose little
If you keep him and he starts: You hit FAAB Gold and win big

I'd rather keep him and have a chance to hit gold; then move him for a 3rd which would result in a little gain for you but could be big loss
Jake Fromm State Farm (12 team PPR SF)
QB: Purdy, ARich (T), Levis (T), Bagent, Clifford, Hall, White, Fromm
RB: Roschon (T), Allgeier, Hill, McIntosh, Demercado, McLaughlin, Mitchell
Chestnut (IR), Wilson (IR)
WR: Addison, London, Jmo (T), Shaheed, Reed (T), Pop D, Der. Davis, Iosivas, C. Jones, Mooney, T. Palmer, Scott, Tucker, Watson, Austin (T)
TE: Musgrave, Mayer (T), Trautman, Gray, Moreau
2024: 1.01, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3
2025: 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4

Sleeper (.5 PPR, 1.5 TE PPR, SF)
QB: Tua, Fields, Cousins (IR), Dobbs, Bagent, Devito, White, Walker, Lance, Hall
RB: Hall, JT, White, Javonte, Ford, Kendre, Allgeier, Henderson, Akers (IR), Ingram (T), Hull (T)
WR: Jetts (IR), Devonta, Jeudy, Meyers, Mooney, Guyton, Rondale, J. Palmer (IR), T. Palmer (T), C. Jones (T)
TE: Andrews (IR), Likely
2024: 5
2025: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

FoolNelson
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby FoolNelson » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:53 am

Vcize wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:15 pm

Sure, which is why I wouldn't recommend spending a 1st to acquire him. Luckily, you don't have to or anything near it.

What's he even going for right now, a 3rd? MAYBE a late 2nd? Yeah I'm OK spending that on a guy who could be a fantasy RB1 if whatever rookie they bring in is slow to pick up pass protection for the franchise QB that their whole team is built around.
After last Sunday's game I was sent 1.10 for him from the defending champion.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:24 am

FoolNelson wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:53 am

and?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FoolNelson
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby FoolNelson » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:57 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:24 am

and?
I rejected it. It's probably a 2-3 horse race in that league for next year with he and I being two of them. So I didn't want to give him any edge for next year while I already have more future picks. My point was that these guys are saying that Williams is a hold since people are only offering a late 2nd or 3rd. OK, so at what price to we sell? I may have taken a 1.10 from another buyer...

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:38 pm

FoolNelson wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:57 am

and?
I rejected it. It's probably a 2-3 horse race in that league for next year with he and I being two of them. So I didn't want to give him any edge for next year while I already have more future picks. My point was that these guys are saying that Williams is a hold since people are only offering a late 2nd or 3rd. OK, so at what price to we sell? I may have taken a 1.10 from another buyer...
I've been one of the bigger Dame Williams advocates, but I think I'd have cashed in a 10 team league for a first. I've posted plenty on the numerous other threads about his talent, but I think a first is a solid return especially considering the risk.

KC is 100% bringing in 1 if not 2 running backs this off-season. Williams value is completely reliant on the caliber of that player(s).

I'm of the mindset to improve my team, regardless of the effect on another's.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:04 pm

FoolNelson wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:57 am

and?
I think it's a mistake to worry about how a trade affects the other team. If it benefits your team, great, do it. Unless you are one of those contenders, then I understand, but I'd still try and sell to him, but ask for more, for those reasons, and explain that to him. I would not pass up on something that does me better because it might make the other team better. You might be able to flip that 1.10 in a package for a player far superior to Williams.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick