Chubb vs Mixon

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
ajf235
Role Player
Role Player

Chubb vs Mixon

Postby ajf235 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:51 pm

These two are ranked back to back nearly everywhere as late first/early second round picks yet I, and I’m sure most people on this forum, would def take Mixon if their draft price were the same. What do you all think is the reason for such a disparity on popular opinion despite such similar rankings? Chubb is actually averaging more PPG in half ppr than Mixon in terms of games he’s started, yet it feels like Chubb never puts up 20, he just goes from 10-16 most weeks and then goes off for 25-35 two weeks whereas Mixon consistently gives you 20-25 point games but then gives you 5 out of the blue. For this reason, it feels like Mixon is more of an RB1 because of his consistency in putting up 15-20 every week but there’s something to be said for Chubb’s floor thus far (albeit small sample size) and ascending offensive situation as compared to Mixon’s descending situation. Obviously the receiving plays a role too as it gives Mixon a higher ceiling but his usage hasn’t been much better than Chubb’s in the passing game so far and Chubb has already proven to have a ridiculous weekly ceiling with his outbursts against Atlanta and Cincy. What do you all think?

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Chubb vs Mixon

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:32 pm

If Marvin is gone next year, this would easily make it Mixon for me. However, Chubb is great as well and on the better Ohio team (I know right?) I'd rather Chubb if situation stayed the same. CLE could also be looking g at a new coach

senska11
Role Player
Role Player

Postby senska11 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:23 pm

Give me the guy who doesn't have the Marvin Lewis/Hue Jackson anchor.

Z$$$
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Z$$$ » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:07 pm

Chubb. Never been a believer in Mixon
12 Team 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 5IDP
QB: Rodgers, Love
RB: Achane, Gibson, Dillon, Sanders
WR: Jefferson, Lamb, G Wilson, Rice, Burks
TE: Goedert, Likely, Musgraves
2024 Picks: 1.04, 1.05, 1.11

16 Team 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Stafford, Fields
RB: Gibbs, Singletary, Dallas, Juszczyk
WR: Lamb, Burks, G Wilson, JSN, Q Johnson, Hardman, Goodwin
TE: Dulcich, Albert O, Gray, Granson

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:30 pm

Z$$$ wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:07 pm Chubb. Never been a believer in Mixon
What reasons? Just curious. He’s looked pretty good this year all things considered.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:12 am

Both are very talented runners, but Mixon is probably one of the 6-7 most talented pass catching RBs in the league. Give me Mixon.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:39 pm

High on both. Give me Chubb because the brownies are trending up overall, and the bengals feel like they are ready to drop off (if they haven’t already?)
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:33 am

I like both a lot but I'd rather have Mixon, at this time neither are used in the passing game yet Mixon is without a doubt a top 10 pass catching back in the league and one of the most efficient per catch backs the past 2 seasons, Chubb however is still an unknown in the territory. Duke may continue to take away the receptions or Chubb may become true 3 down back but as of right now I don't know. For that reason I'm taking Mixon with the hope he gets a coach that knows what they have in him.

Another thing....when mixon touches the ball 20 times a game I don't think he's had a "bad week" one time, however Chubb has had plenty of 20 touch games and had something like 10 ppg in a ppr setting which isn't that great. Chubb's value would obviously be more than Mixon in a non ppr since he is averaging something like 20 carries a game whereas mixon seems to be phased out of games for not apparent reason other than idiotic coaching.

ajf235
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ajf235 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:14 am

Titans95 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:33 am I like both a lot but I'd rather have Mixon, at this time neither are used in the passing game yet Mixon is without a doubt a top 10 pass catching back in the league and one of the most efficient per catch backs the past 2 seasons, Chubb however is still an unknown in the territory. Duke may continue to take away the receptions or Chubb may become true 3 down back but as of right now I don't know. For that reason I'm taking Mixon with the hope he gets a coach that knows what they have in him.

Another thing....when mixon touches the ball 20 times a game I don't think he's had a "bad week" one time, however Chubb has had plenty of 20 touch games and had something like 10 ppg in a ppr setting which isn't that great. Chubb's value would obviously be more than Mixon in a non ppr since he is averaging something like 20 carries a game whereas mixon seems to be phased out of games for not apparent reason other than idiotic coaching.
You’re right about Mixon blowing up every time he has a 20 touch game, but you’re way off on Chubb averaging 10 ppg. He gets 15-25 touches basically every single game and is averaging 16.9 ppg since becoming the starter. I’d say his floor is closer to 10 while his ceiling is 35 so far. Not to mention, Chubb has already proven to be a goal line monster despite being in a mediocre offense. He simply doesn’t go down when he gets a carry within 2 yards of the goal line. If Mayfield becomes one of the top QBs in the league and the Browns offense ascends as most people expect it to, Chubb could consistently be in the conversation for the league lead in TDs every year.

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:54 am

ajf235 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:14 am
Titans95 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:33 am I like both a lot but I'd rather have Mixon, at this time neither are used in the passing game yet Mixon is without a doubt a top 10 pass catching back in the league and one of the most efficient per catch backs the past 2 seasons, Chubb however is still an unknown in the territory. Duke may continue to take away the receptions or Chubb may become true 3 down back but as of right now I don't know. For that reason I'm taking Mixon with the hope he gets a coach that knows what they have in him.

You’re right about Mixon blowing up every time he has a 20 touch game, but you’re way off on Chubb averaging 10 ppg. He gets 15-25 touches basically every single game and is averaging 16.9 ppg since becoming the starter. I’d say his floor is closer to 10 while his ceiling is 35 so far. Not to mention, Chubb has already proven to be a goal line monster despite being in a mediocre offense. He simply doesn’t go down when he gets a carry within 2 yards of the goal line. If Mayfield becomes one of the top QBs in the league and the Browns offense ascends as most people expect it to, Chubb could consistently be in the conversation for the league lead in TDs every year.
I never said Chubb was averaging 10ppg, I was illustrating that at times his lack of involvement in the passing game has resulted in a 20/100/0 statline which is a great line for real football but not ideal for ppr fantasy. Chubb is a rookie and obviously has room to grow in the offense. Both are fantastic. The swing for me is Mixon is a known talented pass catcher (even though current coaching refuses to give him the ball in open space more) while Chubb could be a great pass catcher but so far hasn't been utilized in that fashion. Projecting both teams to improve in 2019 I'm taking Mixon who the ppr upside vs Chubb. Like i said, both are fantastic and you're in a great spot to own either one.

ajf235
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ajf235 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:29 am

Titans95 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:54 am

I never said Chubb was averaging 10ppg, I was illustrating that at times his lack of involvement in the passing game has resulted in a 20/100/0 statline which is a great line for real football but not ideal for ppr fantasy. Chubb is a rookie and obviously has room to grow in the offense. Both are fantastic. The swing for me is Mixon is a known talented pass catcher (even though current coaching refuses to give him the ball in open space more) while Chubb could be a great pass catcher but so far hasn't been utilized in that fashion. Projecting both teams to improve in 2019 I'm taking Mixon who the ppr upside vs Chubb. Like i said, both are fantastic and you're in a great spot to own either one.
Yeah you’re right, I just was confused when you said 10 ppg rather than that he’ll put up 10 points occasionally. While I own Chubb in a keeper league but not Mixon, I would probably take Mixon over Chubb if they were the same price too. That being said, Chubb has done nothing but exceed expectations since he’s been given the starting role.

I always expected Mixon to struggle in year 1 and be a three-down stud thereafter whereas with Chubb I always expected him to be a top notch two-down grinder, especially given Duke’s presence. However, since taking over, he’s been getting 2-3 receptions per game DESPITE Duke’s presence, he’s averaging 60-65% of snaps and he’s a TD machine. He only has room to grow and Mayfield has even said that Chubb needs more work in the passing game to keep defenses honest.

Mixon is far and away the superior pass catcher, but at a 70% catch rate thus far, it seems that the only thing holding Chubb back is a lack of usage in the passing game, but it sounds like Mayfield (and most likely the front office and coaching staff) view him as a 3-down back and they want his role to grow as a pass catcher.

I doubt Chubb will ever be a top notch receiver, but if he could put up Fournette or Ingram-like reception totals and get 35-50 receptions per year for 300-400 receiving yards to supplement his likely 1,200-1,500 likely annual yard rushing output (barring injury) and 10+ TDs (likely more if the offense improves), then he could be a borderline top 5 back.

All speculative but coming into this season, I don’t think ANYONE saw Chubb as a potential top 5 back given the talent at the position. While still a sizeable uphill battle to overtake any of the current top 5, top 5 is well within his range of outcomes given his youth and what he’s shown so far. That said, I’d still imagine his ceiling is top 6 until Gurley starts getting old and wearing down, unless Kamara is never given a true featured role.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:31 pm

Mixon. Better pass catcher and more of a home run threat.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:45 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:31 pm Mixon. Better pass catcher and more of a home run threat.
Not sure I agree with the 2nd part. Chubb has ripped off some long runs this year, including a 90 plus yarder. I prefer Chubb based on talent and character, but receiving wise, Mixon has the edge.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:50 pm

ajf235 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:29 am

Yeah you’re right, I just was confused when you said 10 ppg rather than that he’ll put up 10 points occasionally. While I own Chubb in a keeper league but not Mixon, I would probably take Mixon over Chubb if they were the same price too. That being said, Chubb has done nothing but exceed expectations since he’s been given the starting role.

I always expected Mixon to struggle in year 1 and be a three-down stud thereafter whereas with Chubb I always expected him to be a top notch two-down grinder, especially given Duke’s presence. However, since taking over, he’s been getting 2-3 receptions per game DESPITE Duke’s presence, he’s averaging 60-65% of snaps and he’s a TD machine. He only has room to grow and Mayfield has even said that Chubb needs more work in the passing game to keep defenses honest.

Mixon is far and away the superior pass catcher, but at a 70% catch rate thus far, it seems that the only thing holding Chubb back is a lack of usage in the passing game, but it sounds like Mayfield (and most likely the front office and coaching staff) view him as a 3-down back and they want his role to grow as a pass catcher.

I doubt Chubb will ever be a top notch receiver, but if he could put up Fournette or Ingram-like reception totals and get 35-50 receptions per year for 300-400 receiving yards to supplement his likely 1,200-1,500 likely annual yard rushing output (barring injury) and 10+ TDs (likely more if the offense improves), then he could be a borderline top 5 back.

All speculative but coming into this season, I don’t think ANYONE saw Chubb as a potential top 5 back given the talent at the position. While still a sizeable uphill battle to overtake any of the current top 5, top 5 is well within his range of outcomes given his youth and what he’s shown so far. That said, I’d still imagine his ceiling is top 6 until Gurley starts getting old and wearing down, unless Kamara is never given a true featured role.
35-50 receptions would be huge for him, I think he'll need more like 70 if he wants to crack the top 5 rankings. Zeke fell out of favor very quickly this season early on because of the lack of receptions, now he's back into the conversation because he has 77 receptions which is elite. In today's NFL I don't think the 30-40 receptions backs will cut it as ELITE when more and more backs like Kamara and CMC are basically a RB and WR in one player. Either Duke needs to be completely phased out or Chubb needs to put up Gurley like TD totals to compensate, both are possible but not probable so we shall see.

ajf235
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ajf235 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:37 pm

Titans95 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:50 pm
ajf235 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:29 am

35-50 receptions would be huge for him, I think he'll need more like 70 if he wants to crack the top 5 rankings. Zeke fell out of favor very quickly this season early on because of the lack of receptions, now he's back into the conversation because he has 77 receptions which is elite. In today's NFL I don't think the 30-40 receptions backs will cut it as ELITE when more and more backs like Kamara and CMC are basically a RB and WR in one player. Either Duke needs to be completely phased out or Chubb needs to put up Gurley like TD totals to compensate, both are possible but not probable so we shall see.
Yeah I agree. It’s unlikely he’ll crack the top 5 unless one of them falls off significantly, but if Kamara is always used as the 1A rather than the true featured back and Brees retires I could see Chubb potentially passing him. All I’m saying is that it wouldn’t be a ridiculous stretch for Chubb to get 35-50 receptions and if he can put up 85-100 rushing yards per game and 12-16 TDs per season he could be in the top 5 conversation. Unlikely, but certainly not out of the realm of possibilities by any means.

I HIGHLY doubt Chubb ever gets 70-80 receptions in a season.