Is Aaron Rodgers Better Than Brees, Elway, or Marino All-Time?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
turcorox911
Role Player
Role Player

Postby turcorox911 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:55 pm

Legitimate question given Rodgers' recent failures and inability to win a 2nd title.

senska11
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Is Aaron Rodgers Better Than Brees, Elway, or Marino All-Time?

Postby senska11 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:55 pm

More talented, yes.
Better NFL QB, no.

cornhole2412
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cornhole2412 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:24 pm

Yes

theres a lot more to football then just the QB. Rodgers has done things routinely that others in the GOAT conversation would only dram of doing....

Minus filling his hands with rings, but I'm not a rings=greatness guy
All my teams suck. And I'm not in your league.

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:58 am

Brees should be discussed with Peyton and Brady as the GOAT, Rodgers should not be unless he continues his career into his 40's.

I swear Brees is the most underrated QB of all time. He's going to shatter Manning's all time records in multiple categories, he's the most accurate passer in history and will potentially have 2-3 rings by the time he is done. That saints team is built to last, all their studs are on rookie contracts

Dirty Mike&the Boys
Captain
Captain

Postby Dirty Mike&the Boys » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:14 pm

Rodgers for me.

I generated the below on pro-football reference, and it considers total's and averages, for regular season and playoffs.

In both categories, Rodgers is tops statistically speaking. People may not agree he is the best all time (for accomplishment reasons) but based on statistics, you can't debate it.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... dx=players

One should also consider that Brees and Rodgers have suffered their entire careers (outside of 2 or 3 seasons) by extremely poor defensive play (bottom 5). Rodgers teams have failed him in the playoffs multiple times, giving up 45+ pts repeatedly. A shame, really. Brees has outright missed the playoffs a bunch of times due to this issue.
12 TEAM SUPERFLEX, TE Premium, 25 man rosters
QB - | Rodgers | Herbert | Mills
RB - CMC | Chubb | Dobbins | Keaontay Ingram
WR - McLaurin | Deebo | Waddle | Gabriel Davis | Elijah Moore | Mooney | C Ridley | Jameson Williams | Pickens | Alec Pierce | Wan'dale Robinson | Justyn Ross | B Edwards
TE - M Andrews | Friermuth

2023 Picks: 1st round(2), 2nd round(2), 3rd round (2)

senska11
Role Player
Role Player

Postby senska11 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:24 pm

Dirty Mike&the Boys wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:14 pm Rodgers for me.

I generated the below on pro-football reference, and it considers total's and averages, for regular season and playoffs.

In both categories, Rodgers is tops statistically speaking. People may not agree he is the best all time (for accomplishment reasons) but based on statistics, you can't debate it.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... dx=players

One should also consider that Brees and Rodgers have suffered their entire careers (outside of 2 or 3 seasons) by extremely poor defensive play (bottom 5). Rodgers teams have failed him in the playoffs multiple times, giving up 45+ pts repeatedly. A shame, really. Brees has outright missed the playoffs a bunch of times due to this issue.
You also have to consider with those older guys that they played with a totally different set of rules and league structure. The guys now have numbers that are greatly boosted by league rule changes.

If anything those charts show that Rodgers shouldn't even be considered in the same conversation with Brady/Brees yet. He has 100+ less games played. The gross numbers aren't even close, and the averages are relatively similar, especially considering the sample size difference.
It'll be interesting to see how Rodgers ages, how much longer he plays, and what he has left. He's been hurt 2 years in a row. A large part of his game is predicated on arm talent and mobility, two things that go, often quickly, as ago comes on. And while still not bad by any means, he's currently having arguably the worst year of his career.

I'll return to my original post. Rodgers is arguably the most talented guy to ever play the quarterback position. However he isn't even in the top five as greatest quarterback of all time. There is a big difference between the two.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:58 pm

This may be an age thing (I am mid 40's), but Dan Marino is in the conversation with Brady and Manning. Then there is the rest.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:59 pm

murphysxm wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:58 pm This may be an age thing (I am mid 40's), but Dan Marino is in the conversation with Brady and Manning. Then there is the rest.
I don't understand how Brees isn't in that conversation. He's going to shatter every QB record other than Brady's Post season records.
Last edited by Titans95 on Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:02 pm

Is LeBron better than MJ?

Mike Trout better than Babe Ruth?

Alex Ovechkin better than Gretzky?

Pointless debates, albeit fun. Rodgers needs to do a lot more. He's talented, but sat those first few years and is now catching up. I don't think he has the time to catch Brees' records

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:08 pm

Titans95 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:59 pm
murphysxm wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:58 pm This may be an age thing (I am mid 40's), but Dan Marino is in the conversation with Brady and Manning. Then there is the rest.
I don't understand how Brees isn't in that conversation. He's going to shatter every QB record other than Brady's Post season records.
For me, because Brees was never the best QB in the NFL at any point in his entire career. It was always Brady, Favre, Manning, Rodgers. etc. Statistically he is great, but there was never a season I think he was viewed as the best QB in the NFL. How can he then be the best of all time?
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

senska11
Role Player
Role Player

Postby senska11 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:30 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:02 pm Is LeBron better than MJ?

Mike Trout better than Babe Ruth?

Alex Ovechkin better than Gretzky?

Pointless debates, albeit fun. Rodgers needs to do a lot more. He's talented, but sat those first few years and is now catching up. I don't think he has the time to catch Brees' records
Yes, but it's close.
No way.
Not even the same stratosphere.

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:10 pm

murphysxm wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:08 pm
Titans95 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:59 pm
For me, because Brees was never the best QB in the NFL at any point in his entire career. It was always Brady, Favre, Manning, Rodgers. etc. Statistically he is great, but there was never a season I think he was viewed as the best QB in the NFL. How can he then be the best of all time?
I guess that's fair. Just feels like he doesn't get the respect he deserves because he isn't flashy and isn't a main stream media darling.