Zach Ertz vs Travis Kelce

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Zach Ertz vs Travis Kelce

Postby Life of Pablo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:05 pm

Top 2 TE's right now and for the foreseeable future (Kittle owners wait your god damn turn). Very similar in age; Ertz just turned 28, while Kelce turned 29 last month. Both came into the league together in 2013, with similar enough draft capital; Ertz at #35, Kelce at #63.

If you're trying to win it all this year, who do you want?
If you're looking to stay on top for the next 2-4 years, who do you want?

They both have their cases:
- Kelce in the high-flying passing offense tied to Mahomes, but targets are stretched out a little there with Tyreek, Hunt, and even Sammy all hungry and waiting to be fed. Just seems to be a beast compared to Ertz at times (I know, that's a very subjective description).
- Ertz in the not as electric, but still very solid passing offense tied to Wentz. The addition of Golden Tate muddies things a little and we have yet to see the true effects of that, but for now he is an absolute target hog and at a historic pace. Even if/when he inevitably comes down, it is likely he is still top 3 in TE targets moving forward.
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Zach Ertz vs Travis Kelce

Postby AussieMate » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:07 pm

I owned both (as well as kittle and Henry, somehow it's the only position I seem to draft well on) but sold ertz last year, there would be almost no gap between value but I'd side with Kelce (that's why I sold ertz). I think Kelce is just the better attacking weapon whilst Ertz relies more on target volume which Tate could start to eat into this year.
Again, you can't really go wrong either (also I think Kittle is closer to Kelce in athletic ability than he is to Ertz)

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:00 am

This is Ertz short and long term and it's not all that close. Ertz is one pace for something like 130/1400/8. Do you realize how insane that statline is? Kelce has never even sniffed that kind of production in his career. So this year it's easily ERTZ. Golden Tate doesn't muddy the waters in any way shape or form. Ertz isn't getting targets out of necessity, he's getting targets because he's that good. I get that Kelce is more "dynamic" but Ertz is Ole Reliable in his offense where Kelce has major competition from a top 5 WR, a top 20 WR and a top 5 RB so its only natural he'll fade away in certain games.

Also Tate is on his last year of a contract and the Eagles are not dropping 12-13+ million a year on Tate at the age of 31 so long term its quite easily Ertz once again. The only reason this is even a debate is because Ertz has always been considered below Kelce but Ertz has also steadily improved each of the past 3 seasons and is now on pace for a historical season and is a full year younger than Kelce.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:05 pm

Bump because I'm bored, interesting to read through the takes a few years later. There was another one with Kittle involved but didn't want to bump both.

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:25 pm

Kelce. He plays with the best QB in the league and is a monster piece in that offense and has zero competition behind him at TE in KC. I think Kelce remains a top 5 at TE for 3-5 more years.

DYNASTY BALLA$
Starter
Starter

Postby DYNASTY BALLA$ » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:29 am

Yea I'd second that ^ ^ Not only is Kelce the top passing option on KC, he's seems like he's high on life which creates amazing DRIVE in people. He won't ever become complacent, and probably won't begin slowing down for at least another 3-4 years or more. Now I'm not saying Ertz will, but he's got Goedert to contend who is coming into his own as well.

For me it's clearly Kelce and Kittle at the top of the TE rankings. After that... Andrews/Ertz/Waller but a big tier drop below the Top 2
FFPC $2500 #6 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5
QB: Josh Allen
RB: CMC, Zeke, Spears, Mattison, Justice Hill
WR: Kupp, Tyreek, Diggs, DSmith, MWilliams
TE: Andrews, Ferguson

FFPC $2500 #5 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5 (2021 Champ)
QB: Josh Allen
RB: CMC, Jacobs, Ekeler, Monty, Achane,
WR: Kupp, Pittman, Amari, Ridley, Lockett
TE: Andrews, Ferguson

FFPC $750 #46 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5
QB: Mahomes
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Saquon, Kyren, Javonte
WR: Tyreek, Kupp, Waddle, Wan'Dale
TE: Hock, LaPorta

Paul Crewe
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Paul Crewe » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:46 pm

Benefit of hindsight of course and it's not to say that Ertz hasn't been fantastic, but Kelce has finished higher every season but their rookie year (2013), including the last four seasons as the #1 overall TE.

He's one year older, but misses less games while playing in a far superior offense with the better/younger QB. Still all on in Kelce until he shows appreciable signs of slowing down. Hopefully he's Tony Gonzalez 2.0 in terms of longevity.
10-team PPR Superflex; 30-man roster + 2 IR
QB WR WR WR RB RB TE W/R/T Q/W/R/T K DEF

Mean Machine
QB: D.Prescott, M.Ryan -or- D.Brees, J.Brissett
WR: M.Thomas, J.Jones, O.Beckham -or- J.Landry, D.Johnson, B.Perriman, T.Smith, A.Tate, S.Sims Jr., A.Isabella, J.Arcega-Whiteside
RB: S.Barkley, Dv.Johnson -or- Dm.Williams, A.Mattison, B.Scott, J.Richard, D.Washington, P.Barber, T.Homer
TE: T.Kelce, C.Herndon IV, D.Walker, D.Knox
K: <stream>
DEF: San Francisco, Pittsburgh

2012: 2nd, 2013: 3rd, 2014: 2nd, 2015: 3rd
2016: 5th, 2017: 3rd, 2018: 2nd, 2019: 1st