Trey Burton

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Dr. Trades
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Trey Burton

Postby Dr. Trades » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:27 am

Haven't seen a recent thread on him and wanted to start a discussion on why he has so much hype this year... Was undrafted. 6'3". No huge statistical seasons. Is he really going to outscore a guy like Vance McDonald, Delanie Walker, etc to be among the top ten most coveted dynasty TEs all of a sudden? I'm not saying I don't like him, I just would like to gather some input on his potential and why he is already ranked with such upside projections...

Thanks
League 1: 12 Team League (0.5 ppr WR/RB, 0.75 TE)
QB: Dak, Rodgers, Jimmy G
RB: Henry, Mixon, Swift, AJ Dillon, Jamaal Williams, TDP, Zamir White, Dontrell Hilliard, Hassan Haskins, Joshua Kelley, Chris Evans, Jaylen Warren
WR: JJefferson, AJ Brown, Deebo, DJ Moore, Keenan Allan, Russell Gage, George Pickens, Isaiah McKenzie, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Dalton Schultz, Logan Thomas, Daniel Bellinger
D/St: 49ers, Cowboys

League 2: 12 team (28 roster spots) Superflex/TE premium (qb 4pts per TD, all others 6pts per TD, WR/RB 0.1 ppc and 0.75ppr, TE 1.5 ppr)
QB: Rodgers, Stafford, T. Lawrence
RB: javonte, ETN, Eli Mitchell, AJ Dillon, Michael Carter, TDP, Marlon Mack, Jaylen Warren, Darrel Williams, Kene Nguwanu, Trey Sermon
WR: J. Chase, Tee Higgins, Mike Williams, KJ Hamler, Calvin Austin 3, Danny Gray, Erik Ezukanma
TE: Schultz, Fant, Evan Engram, Jelani Woods, Noah Gray, Durham Smythe, Josiah Deguara, Brycen Hopkins

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Trey Burton

Postby AussieMate » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:57 am

He is a massive sell high player ala McKinnon. I like the bears this year but they won't turn into the eagles in 1 off season, I think Trey will ok but never great at the bears and people will regret not selling at his current price.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:35 am

When did Vance McDonald become a top 10 TE?

As for Burton, he's actually pretty young for a TE and the age where a lot of guys at that position breakout. You mentioned Delanie Walker, which is a great comparison to Burton. Walker played behind Davis in SF and didn't get much of an opportunity, but played well when he did. He finally got to sign with a new team as a free agent probably around the same age as Burton and showed what he can do. Same thing with Burton, he's been behind a very good TE in Ertz and has actually played really well when Ertz missed time the last two season. Now he's going to be the starter on a team with not a lot of competition and probably be no worse than 3rd in targets.

bullsboy19
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bullsboy19 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:17 am

Goddard wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:35 am When did Vance McDonald become a top 10 TE?

As for Burton, he's actually pretty young for a TE and the age where a lot of guys at that position breakout. You mentioned Delanie Walker, which is a great comparison to Burton. Walker played behind Davis in SF and didn't get much of an opportunity, but played well when he did. He finally got to sign with a new team as a free agent probably around the same age as Burton and showed what he can do. Same thing with Burton, he's been behind a very good TE in Ertz and has actually played really well when Ertz missed time the last two season. Now he's going to be the starter on a team with not a lot of competition and probably be no worse than 3rd in targets.
Perfectly said.
The 824 Dynasty League - Year 4 - San Antonio Gunslingers

40 man, 2 IR. Requirements: 2 QBs, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 DT, 2 DEs, 3 LBs, 2 CBs, 2 S, 1 DP, 1 K.

QB: Winston, Flacco, Bradford, Rosen.
RB: Gurley, Elliott, Duke, Booker, Murray, Ekeler.
WR: DT, JuJu, Baldwin, Gordon, Garcon, Stills, Miller, Coleman, DJax, Stewart.
TE: Gronk, O.J.
DT: Donald, Clark.
DE: Watt, Mack, Basham.
LB: Wagner, Edmunds, Bucannon, Perryman, Floyd, Burks, Anthony.
CB: Hillton, K. King.
S: Bell, Gipson, Coleman, Wilson, Edmunds.
K: Elliott.
Picks: 2019 2, 3, 4, 5

The Superhero Dynasty - Year 1 - Wakanda Black Panthers

25 man. Requirements: 2 QBs, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 Flex.

QB: Wilson, Bortles, Mayfield, Lauletta.
RB: Guice, Royce, Foreman, Gio, Ty, Grant, Yeldon, Perine, Murray.
WR: NUK, Cooper, M. Jones, Kupp, Dez, Cobb, DJax, Snead, Fountain.
TE: Burton, Doyle, Shaheen.
Picks: 2019 1,2,3,4,5

Dr. Trades
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Dr. Trades » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:54 pm

The post was not to imply that Vance was a top 10 TE. Rather, I was using a few examples of players for comparison and to play devil's advocate, so to speak. Again, I am not trying to slight Trey Burton, but to prompt further discussion and justification that Trey is all of a sudden top 12 TE dynasty asset. Vance is only two years older, had much higher draft pedigree, and plays in a good offense now (was hurt a lot of last couple seasons in Pittsburgh). Trey is 6'3", was undrafted, and while he may have looked the part in very small samples, one might argue the same for Vance when healthy last year. My question is, is he really that much more valuable than the 15th or 20th, or even 24th ranked dynasty TE (Vance McDonald)?
League 1: 12 Team League (0.5 ppr WR/RB, 0.75 TE)
QB: Dak, Rodgers, Jimmy G
RB: Henry, Mixon, Swift, AJ Dillon, Jamaal Williams, TDP, Zamir White, Dontrell Hilliard, Hassan Haskins, Joshua Kelley, Chris Evans, Jaylen Warren
WR: JJefferson, AJ Brown, Deebo, DJ Moore, Keenan Allan, Russell Gage, George Pickens, Isaiah McKenzie, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Dalton Schultz, Logan Thomas, Daniel Bellinger
D/St: 49ers, Cowboys

League 2: 12 team (28 roster spots) Superflex/TE premium (qb 4pts per TD, all others 6pts per TD, WR/RB 0.1 ppc and 0.75ppr, TE 1.5 ppr)
QB: Rodgers, Stafford, T. Lawrence
RB: javonte, ETN, Eli Mitchell, AJ Dillon, Michael Carter, TDP, Marlon Mack, Jaylen Warren, Darrel Williams, Kene Nguwanu, Trey Sermon
WR: J. Chase, Tee Higgins, Mike Williams, KJ Hamler, Calvin Austin 3, Danny Gray, Erik Ezukanma
TE: Schultz, Fant, Evan Engram, Jelani Woods, Noah Gray, Durham Smythe, Josiah Deguara, Brycen Hopkins

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:09 pm

BusinessIsBoomin wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:54 pm The post was not to imply that Vance was a top 10 TE. Rather, I was using a few examples of players for comparison and to play devil's advocate, so to speak. Again, I am not trying to slight Trey Burton, but to prompt further discussion and justification that Trey is all of a sudden top 12 TE dynasty asset. Vance is only two years older, had much higher draft pedigree, and plays in a good offense now (was hurt a lot of last couple seasons in Pittsburgh). Trey is 6'3", was undrafted, and while he may have looked the part in very small samples, one might argue the same for Vance when healthy last year. My question is, is he really that much more valuable than the 15th or 20th, or even 24th ranked dynasty TE (Vance McDonald)?
I'm not sure who's claiming that Burton is a top 12 TE. I think he has the potential to be, but wouldn't draft him as more than my TE2 with TE1 upside. I think in a lot of threads people have him valued somewhere in the early/mid 2nd, which seems about right to me. As for his height, I don't know why being 6'3" is such a bad thing. He's not going to be your in-line blocking TE where he has to be 6'5" and 280lbs. Jordan Reed is 6'2" and he's done well for himself, outside of the injuries...which I doubt are due to his height.