Mixon vs 1.02 (your choice)

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Who would you rather have?

Joe Mixon
52%
1.02 (any non-Barkley RB of your choice)
48%

Total votes: 79

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Mixon vs 1.02 (your choice)

Postby Life of Pablo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:34 am

So this thread has been quite a hot topic recently: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=163798. Joe Mixon seems to be one of the more polarizing players going into 2018. Many are convinced that he can be an elite RB if the Bengals situation improves, while others think that he has not shown nearly enough to prove or justify his hype, at least not without a DRASTIC improvement to the Bengals O-line.

It's been a very intriguing thread for me to read, as I find myself in the "Mixon hype" camp and I've been trying to buy him this offseason. I've also been trying to buy the 1.02 (or any top 4 pick really) if I cannot get a Mixon trade to happen. Before that thread I was willing to pay more for Mixon than I would for the 1.02, but now I'm thinking they may be closer in value than I initially assumed.

So with all those thoughts I'd like to see where the community stands on Mixon relative to this rookie class. If you had the 1.02 and he was available to select in your draft, would you definitely take him? Or do you like one of the non-Barkley RB's more? Which RB(s) would you take before him?
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Mixon vs 1.02 (your choice)

Postby Titans95 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:20 am

Love or hate him he is the unquestioned starter on a team with bellcow qualities and the team has been saying he will be the bellcow all offseason. Besides for Barkley only Penny can really come close to making that claim. I love Penny but his situation can't be any better than Mixon's with their O-lines. Mixon was one of the most efficient receiving backs last year and while I don't think he will make a Gurley type turnaround he is a prime bounceback candidate with an improved O-line and a commitment from the team to use him, he should be in the RB1 conversation as the year plays out next year. I'd take Mixon very easily over the 1.02 (Penny).

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:33 pm

I'm ok if someone prefers Guice or Michel, but for me I'll take Mixon over every other (non-Saquon) RB in this class.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:08 pm

I think Guice and Mixon are similarly talented, so give me the guy that fell because of fortnight over the guy that fell because of more ominous things.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:00 pm

jtd1387 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:08 pm I think Guice and Mixon are similarly talented, so give me the guy that fell because of fortnight over the guy that fell because of more ominous things.
This is really not accurate. There were plenty of teams that passed on Guice because they didn't have him that high on their boards. He didn't fall because of playing video games. Some teams saw him as highly immature, and other saw him as not as good as the pre-draft media. However I understand the overall implications, and I agree Guice is safer in that regard.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:46 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:00 pm
jtd1387 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:08 pm I think Guice and Mixon are similarly talented, so give me the guy that fell because of fortnight over the guy that fell because of more ominous things.
This is really not accurate. There were plenty of teams that passed on Guice because they didn't have him that high on their boards. He didn't fall because of playing video games. Some teams saw him as highly immature, and other saw him as not as good as the pre-draft media. However I understand the overall implications, and I agree Guice is safer in that regard.
I haven't heard this that video games had an impact....but that has got to be the most laughable thing I've heard in a long time if you actually believe a team passed up on a player because of video games.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:26 pm

Titans95 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:46 pm
I haven't heard this that video games had an impact....but that has got to be the most laughable thing I've heard in a long time if you actually believe a team passed up on a player because of video games.
I was saying the same thing. I was quoting the above post. Lots of players play video games. From the extensive digging I did from as many sources I could find, Guice fell for 2 reasons. Teams had serious concerns about his maturity, and they did not think he was that good (compared to the other options that were on the board).

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:35 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:26 pm

I was saying the same thing. I was quoting the above post. Lots of players play video games. From the extensive digging I did from as many sources I could find, Guice fell for 2 reasons. Teams had serious concerns about his maturity, and they did not think he was that good (compared to the other options that were on the board).
Sorry for the confusion I was making fun of the original post and meant to reiterate what you were saying. I found the same thing as you about Guice. I like him a lot but the simple fact is a team wouldn't pass up on an obviously more talented player if it was just immaturity....they passed up on him because the talent level between him and the other options without potential headaches of dealing with a player were not very large in in most NFL teams eyes. Not saying NFL teams always get it right but they do have a full team of people that their entire careers are studying and scouting players and they spend countless hours studying tape on every single prospect. The draft tells us a lot about what actual professional scouts believe about players compared to what amateur media and fantasy "experts" think.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:55 pm

Voted 1.02

I think this is a deal of, if you’re invested in and/or a believer in Mixon I can see not wanting a Guice/penny/whoever. If you disregard Mixons rookie year or don’t think it was enough to detract from his value I can’t fault you for keeping him ahead of those guys.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:16 pm

Titans95 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:35 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:26 pm

Sorry for the confusion I was making fun of the original post and meant to reiterate what you were saying. I found the same thing as you about Guice. I like him a lot but the simple fact is a team wouldn't pass up on an obviously more talented player if it was just immaturity....they passed up on him because the talent level between him and the other options without potential headaches of dealing with a player were not very large in in most NFL teams eyes. Not saying NFL teams always get it right but they do have a full team of people that their entire careers are studying and scouting players and they spend countless hours studying tape on every single prospect. The draft tells us a lot about what actual professional scouts believe about players compared to what amateur media and fantasy "experts" think.
Cool. I thought, so but wanted to make sure. I still like Guice a lot, this RB class is loaded. However, he runs to contact way too often for my liking, and a few games I "scouted" I saw obvious signs of concussion that were not acknowledged. He got hit in the head vs BYU and Texas A and M if my memory serves me correctly, where he got smacked good (in the head, it was because he was using poor judgement). Guice is great to watch, he's vicious and has great balance through contact, but his vision and patience is very poor at times, IMO. I prefer a back like Penny/Barkley, style wise, who still break tackles but never seem to get hit hard. Every Guice run seems like this epic battle, even if it's 3 yards, and it just seems like it will take a toll physically. From MY "amateur scouting", I just find there are a lot of instances where he could have gained as many yards without the major contact he takes. This RB class though, we really are spoiled. It's loaded, and if you need one, this is the year to get one cheap. 8 taken in the top 71 picks, in this day in age of the NFL that is nuts. Video games, though. Imagine dropping a round because you play video games! LOL.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:45 pm

I think you guys are taking yourselves a little too seriously for posting on a magic football forum in June. The fortnight comment was said whimsically, because it was such a funny rumor.

I do find it hilarious how confident people are in stating why a player fell. The only simple fact is that we have no idea why a player went where they did. even in Mixon's case, we have no clue where he'd go if he didn't have disturbing incidents in his past. All we know is it wouldn't be lower than 48.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:58 pm

jtd1387 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:45 pm I think you guys are taking yourselves a little too seriously for posting on a magic football forum in June. The fortnight comment was said whimsically, because it was such a funny rumor.

I do find it hilarious how confident people are in stating why a player fell. The only simple fact is that we have no idea why a player went where they did. even in Mixon's case, we have no clue where he'd go if he didn't have disturbing incidents in his past. All we know is it wouldn't be lower than 48.
Well, it's actually based on personnel people being asked post draft. Maybe they lied, but there aren't really that many reasons player "fall", based on the media's pre-draft analysis, other than A) They weren't as talented in the eyes of professional evaluators as media evaluators thought, or B)Off field concerns.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:14 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:16 pm I still like Guice a lot, this RB class is loaded. However, he runs to contact way too often for my liking, and a few games I "scouted" I saw obvious signs of concussion that were not acknowledged. He got hit in the head vs BYU and Texas A and M if my memory serves me correctly, where he got smacked good (in the head, by poor judgement). Guice is great to watch, he's vicious and has great balance through contact, but his vision and patience is very poor at times, IMO. I prefer a back like Penny/Barkley, style wise, who still break tackles but never seem to get hit hard. Every Guice run seems like this epic battle, even if it's 3 yards, and it just seems like it will take a toll physically. From MY "amateur scouting", I just find there are a lot of instances where he could have gained as many yards without the major contact he takes. This RB class though, we really are spoiled. It's loaded, and if you need one, this is the year to get one cheap. 8 taken in the top 71 picks, in this day in age of the NFL that is nuts. Video games, though. Imagine dropping a round because you play video games! LOL.
I agree with this. I think for the most part, Penny and Guice will get the same yardage on any given play just in different styles. Sure, there are some plays that only Guice can make but it's not like it's an every-down thing. It's a once a game thing.

As for Mixon, I've been through this before in another thread but I said last draft he was slightly overrated. I like him and I think he's good but not as good as some were saying. He had a tendency to be a little hesitant behind the LOS, a little too patient. He didn't quite play to his size and athleticism. Listen, with his overall skillset if put in the right situation, he could easily put up top 5 numbers. I just don't think it will be a year-in year-out type of deal with continually evolving situations as is what routinely happens in the NFL. I would rather take Penny or Guice for the long-term play. I would take Mixon over the rest though.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:55 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:33 pm I'm ok if someone prefers Guice or Michel, but for me I'll take Mixon over every other (non-Saquon) RB in this class.
This

GOTGDynasty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby GOTGDynasty » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:34 pm

Mixon's the one! :lol:
QBs: Patrick Mahomes, Trey Lance, Tua Tagovailoa
RB: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Saquon Barkley, JK Dobbins, James Conner, Travis Etienne, Tony Pollard, Brian Robinson.
WR: Ja'Marr Chase, A.J. Brown, Deebo Samuel, Jaylen Waddle, Chris Godwin, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Chase Claypool, Chris Olave, Odell Beckham, Josh Palmer
TE: George Kittle, T.J. Hockenson, Taysom Hill, Trey McBride, Isaiah Likely
PK: Nick Folk
(IDPs, start two per week per position):
DL: Danielle Hunter, Myles Garrett, Alex Highsmith, Aidan Hutchinson, Chase Young,
LB: Roquan Smith, C.J. Mosley, Logan Wilson, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoa
DB: Derwin James, Jeremy Chinn, Xavier McKinney, Jalen Pitre

* Ten team league started in 2014.
** 40 player roster, 30 Keepers per season.
*** Red denotes 2022 draft pickups.