Goff or Jimmy GQ

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
vixen
Degenerate
Degenerate

Goff or Jimmy GQ

Postby vixen » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:40 pm

i recently had this decision in a 14 team superflex.... 6pt passing TDs and -2 per turnover

what is your choice and why?
team 1 -start QB RB 2WR TE 2RB/WR 1WR/TE
qbs=5pt tds wr/te=1 ppr rbs=.5ppr all get .25ppc
Watson, Brady, Mills
Ekeler, Hunt, Carson/Penny, DForeman, Mitchell, CPat, Kyren, Ford, KHarris
Cooper, sutton, Chase, Shepard, Atwell, Schwartz, Wan'Dale, Austin III
Gesicki, Engram, Hooper, Woods
team 2 -start QB 2RB 3WR TE 2Flex K D
Cousins, Stafford
DH JT, Ekeler, Kylin Hill, Herbert, KHarris, Chandler
Hopkins, Diggs, Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Callaway, DPJ, Robby Anderson, Schwartz, Pierce, Wan'Dale, Doubs
Kelce, Andrews, Jacob Harris

vixen
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Goff or Jimmy GQ

Postby vixen » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:44 am

hmmm, i guess nobody has an opinion on this one....
i took Jimmy GQ because i figured that team is built for passing and Rams has Gurley so they will run more...but then a friend pointed out that Gurley will actually open up the passing game, so i am kind of wishing i would have drafted Goff instead...
just wondering what the masses think about this...
thanks anyway
team 1 -start QB RB 2WR TE 2RB/WR 1WR/TE
qbs=5pt tds wr/te=1 ppr rbs=.5ppr all get .25ppc
Watson, Brady, Mills
Ekeler, Hunt, Carson/Penny, DForeman, Mitchell, CPat, Kyren, Ford, KHarris
Cooper, sutton, Chase, Shepard, Atwell, Schwartz, Wan'Dale, Austin III
Gesicki, Engram, Hooper, Woods
team 2 -start QB 2RB 3WR TE 2Flex K D
Cousins, Stafford
DH JT, Ekeler, Kylin Hill, Herbert, KHarris, Chandler
Hopkins, Diggs, Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Callaway, DPJ, Robby Anderson, Schwartz, Pierce, Wan'Dale, Doubs
Kelce, Andrews, Jacob Harris

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:35 pm

vixen wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:44 am hmmm, i guess nobody has an opinion on this one....
i took Jimmy GQ because i figured that team is built for passing and Rams has Gurley so they will run more...but then a friend pointed out that Gurley will actually open up the passing game, so i am kind of wishing i would have drafted Goff instead...
thanks anyway
For me its Jimmy GQ and its not that close. Goff really wasn't that fantastic last year. His stats against top defenses vs bottom defenses were pretty shocking. Obviously he has room to grow but I just think JG is more prepared right now and has more upside. I like McVay and he comes from the Shanahan tree but alas he isn't Shanahan.

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:40 am

Titans95 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:35 pm
vixen wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:44 am hmmm, i guess nobody has an opinion on this one....
thanks anyway
For me its Jimmy GQ and its not that close. Goff really wasn't that fantastic last year. His stats against top defenses vs bottom defenses were pretty shocking. Obviously he has room to grow but I just think JG is more prepared right now and has more upside. I like McVay and he comes from the Shanahan tree but alas he isn't Shanahan.
This is what I was coming in here to say.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:08 am

I believe you made the right choice.

Both QBs have, what I believe to be, a top three head coach (as far as designing an offense that puts up fantasy stats for us). I'm not sure who I like more between Shanahan and McVay, but both of them offer a big plus to the potential offensive output. I think both coaches are likely to retain their jobs for a long time, as well, and that stability is valuable for a QB. No clear winner here to me.

The difference, to me, is just an eye test. I like Goff quite a bit, as he seems to command respect from his teammates, isn't too easily fazed after making a mistake, but he just seems like a game manager plus to me. He can put up numbers, but I don't want to rely on it because it's tied too much to his situation. He's basically what you would get if you dropped Alex Smith into McVay's care, IMO.
Garoppolo just looks more surgical out there. I know it sounds cliche, because he was the understudy, but he looks like he has some Brady in him. Goff has a little bit of it, but I think Garoppolo has more. I think Garoppolo has that ability to carve up a defense that Goff just doesn't have. A string of top defenses like the Jags, Rams, Vikings, Eagles, Bears, and Broncos would keep Goff on my bench because I'd be expecting some very low yardage and TD output. Something about Garoppolo...I feel like he could still put up numbers going through a stretch of teams like this. It's mostly just based on a pre-conceived notion of what I thought he was when he was drafted...and the limited evidence we've had to confirm some of it.

It's a small sample size for both players, so I don't even think it's worth trying to back anything up with stats. That's why I go with the eye test, and I like watching Garoppolo play more.

Tyrober
Captain
Captain

Postby Tyrober » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:40 am

I like Goff but I believe he is being overrated right now. I would have taken Jimmy G with ease and believe you made a great decision.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:48 pm

I just don’t see how the Rams can keep together their team more than 1-2 years ... I’m stilled amazed at how much they spent this year. So longer term, I think Jimmy G will have a better supporting cast, but for this year and next I think Goff will put up better numbers.

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:48 pm I just don’t see how the Rams can keep together their team more than 1-2 years ... I’m stilled amazed at how much they spent this year. So longer term, I think Jimmy G will have a better supporting cast, but for this year and next I think Goff will put up better numbers.
For real...Aaron Donald and Gurley's contracts are up soon,

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:52 am

Jimmy G is a fine choice. But I don't think there is an incorrect answer in this case. In 3 or 4 years we will look back with perfect clarity and claim that the decision should have been obvious. But, these two players are close enough in talent and situation that I don't think it comes down to anything more than personal choice here.

Both of these guys graded out well as rookies. They both have the arm talent to succeed at the NFL level, and keep their cool under pressure. Just as important, neither one has any sort of fatal flaw that must be corrected. For me, that is the first box to check when evaluating young QBs for fantasy.

As Valhalla stated, both players have excellent head coaches. Jimmy landed on one of the best teams in the league and got to study in that situation for nearly 4 years. He now has one of the top offensive coaches leading his team and a franchise that (we can hope) has finally found some stability.

Goff landed in nearly the worst possible situation as a rookie. The franchise did what it could to correct that mistake as fast as possible. Goff is now in an almost identical place to Jimmy, with a great offensive mind as head coach and a franchise that may finally be stable again. The question here is ... how much damage was done to Goff his first year and how much can be fixed? Since he is only 23 today, I'm betting that Sean was able to undo much of the harm that was done.

It would surprise me at all if both of these guys are top 8 fantasy QBs next year ... in 2 years ... and in 5 years. It would surprise me if either of these players are outside of the top 15 during that span ... unless one of the franchises falls back into chaos.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:24 pm

Coin flip.

Both are within a few yards per game of each other. Neither look to be a top 5 QB anytime soon. I would rate Goff a spot or two higher due to pedigree and team.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

GOTGDynasty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby GOTGDynasty » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Just pick the guy whose initials are JG! Ha ha.

Jared G, higher floor. Jimmy G, higher ceiling.

The sample size is bigger on what Goff can do and so I'd lean Goff as the safer pick, but I wouldn't blame any of the folks here who picked Jimmy instead. FWIW I also have high hopes for the Goff-Cooks connection.
QBs: Patrick Mahomes, Trey Lance, Tua Tagovailoa
RB: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Saquon Barkley, JK Dobbins, James Conner, Travis Etienne, Tony Pollard, Brian Robinson.
WR: Ja'Marr Chase, A.J. Brown, Deebo Samuel, Jaylen Waddle, Chris Godwin, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Chase Claypool, Chris Olave, Odell Beckham, Josh Palmer
TE: George Kittle, T.J. Hockenson, Taysom Hill, Trey McBride, Isaiah Likely
PK: Nick Folk
(IDPs, start two per week per position):
DL: Danielle Hunter, Myles Garrett, Alex Highsmith, Aidan Hutchinson, Chase Young,
LB: Roquan Smith, C.J. Mosley, Logan Wilson, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoa
DB: Derwin James, Jeremy Chinn, Xavier McKinney, Jalen Pitre

* Ten team league started in 2014.
** 40 player roster, 30 Keepers per season.
*** Red denotes 2022 draft pickups.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:50 pm

Titans95 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:35 pm
thanks anyway
Yup, Goff was not that impressive last year. Jimmy G was.

Goff wasn’t “bad”, but he was definitely in need of babying and hand-holding. That’s ok, it was basically his rookie year, but still.

Jimmy G looked like a frikkin stud throwing the rock.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

j2cain
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby j2cain » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:09 am

Goff is basically a game manager. I believe his deep ball percentages were not very good last year. Give me GQ and the upside

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:43 am

I actually think Goff has the higher ceiling. He made tremendous leaps last year, and I expect him to improve over the next five years.

That said, I'd take Jimmy G currently. I think he's safer, and already mastered many of the things that I only expect Goff to improve on.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:49 am

j2cain wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:09 am Goff is basically a game manager. I believe his deep ball percentages were not very good last year. Give me GQ and the upside
FYI,
"According to Pro Football Focus, he had an adjusted completion percentage of 42.1 on deep passes, which ranked ninth in the NFL."

Putting some type of Game Manager tag on him in a negative light is not really accurate.

The best game manager in the league the last few years has been Tom Brady followed by 31 other game managers.

In Fact:

"Garoppolo’s performance on deep throws pushed his BTT percentage down quite a bit. The average NFL quarterback nets a BTT on 24.5% of their deep throws. But Garoppolo finished with a rate of just 6.3%. In 2017 Garoppolo did most of his damage in the intermediate range, but hopefully a full offseason paired with Shanahan means more fine tuning of the the deep-passing arsenal to Garoppolo’s strengths. "
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts