Penny vs Guice (WHY?)

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Penny or Guice?

Penny
41%
Guice
59%

Total votes: 109

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Penny vs Guice (WHY?)

Postby Cherokee » Sat May 12, 2018 8:59 am

Titans95 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:43 am
Cherokee wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:27 am
Titans95 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:19 am

That's dumb logic....Jalen hurd running ahead of Kamara....Perine ahead of Mixon....the list could go on and on
Thanks
Please go on...and on
any running back thats didnt start until their jr/sr year. Hate on pumphrey all you want but he had 2,000 yards in college, why take him out of the game with that production? Of course it didn't work in the NFL but he's also 5'8 175 vs 5'11 220.
Definitely not hating on Pumphrey at all and I know what he did in college. Zach Zenner rushed for over 2000 yards 3 years in a row. Am I impressed?
Impressed by the fact that Guice was able to show with Fournette on the same team, playing the same position.
Its just something that is right there in your face that one can look at to see Guice over Penny. I know how ya feel about it. I could be wrong. I would also like to say that Penny going in the 1st round and other teams supposedly calling to trade for him might not be all about football skill. Could be about maturity or how well he interview. Same goes for Guice not going in the first.
12 Team 1QB IDP Full PPR Start 8
QB- Kenny Pickett, Jake Haener, Clayton Tune
RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Elijah Mitchell, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Gainwell, TDP, Jordan Mason
WR- Rondale Moore, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Terrence Marshall , Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Mecole Hardman, Rashid Shaheed, David Bell
TE- Michael Mayer, Likely, Chig, Cade Otten
LB- Jewell, Deablo, Troy Anderson
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga, Cine
Taxi Squad: Chase Brown, A.T. Perry, Keaton Mitchell, Khalan Laborn, Lew Nichols lll

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:16 am

Cherokee wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:59 am
Cherokee wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:27 am
Thanks
Please go on...and on
any running back thats didnt start until their jr/sr year. Hate on pumphrey all you want but he had 2,000 yards in college, why take him out of the game with that production? Of course it didn't work in the NFL but he's also 5'8 175 vs 5'11 220.
Definitely not hating on Pumphrey at all and I know what he did in college. Zach Zenner rushed for over 2000 yards 3 years in a row. Am I impressed?
Impressed by the fact that Guice was able to show with Fournette on the same team, playing the same position.
Its just something that is right there in your face that one can look at to see Guice over Penny. I know how ya feel about it. I could be wrong. I would also like to say that Penny going in the 1st round and other teams supposedly calling to trade for him might not be all about football skill. Could be about maturity or how well he interview. Same goes for Guice not going in the first.
Guice was able to show with Fournette when Fournette didnt play because of injury...then he took a huge step back when the backfield was his alone....I know a lot of that was due to injury as well I'm just saying. Don't get me wrong I think Guice is the more talented running back and I really like him a lot but I just think its crazy that people think there is a world of difference between their skill level, if that were the case most of those teams would've been able to look over immaturity of Guice if he was truly in a Tier on his own behind Barkley. So again I'm not saying Penny>guice because of talent I'm saying Penny>Guice because the talent gap isn't wide enough to trump how much better of a situation Penny is in. As far as fantasy goes, opportunity trumps talent almost always....as evidence by Gordon being a top 10 back two years in row without even being able to crack 4YPC. Guice may ball out and get 250-275 carries for 4.5-5ypc but if he isn't catching any footballs Penny can easily out produce him by sheer volume alone, especially if he can crack 50 receptions...thats an additional 500 yards Guice has to beat Penny by on the ground alone.

jonf86
Starter
Starter

Postby jonf86 » Sat May 12, 2018 12:28 pm

Titans95 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:16 am

Guice was able to show with Fournette when Fournette didnt play because of injury...then he took a huge step back when the backfield was his alone....I know a lot of that was due to injury as well I'm just saying. Don't get me wrong I think Guice is the more talented running back and I really like him a lot but I just think its crazy that people think there is a world of difference between their skill level, if that were the case most of those teams would've been able to look over immaturity of Guice if he was truly in a Tier on his own behind Barkley. So again I'm not saying Penny>guice because of talent I'm saying Penny>Guice because the talent gap isn't wide enough to trump how much better of a situation Penny is in. As far as fantasy goes, opportunity trumps talent almost always....as evidence by Gordon being a top 10 back two years in row without even being able to crack 4YPC. Guice may ball out and get 250-275 carries for 4.5-5ypc but if he isn't catching any footballs Penny can easily out produce him by sheer volume alone, especially if he can crack 50 receptions...thats an additional 500 yards Guice has to beat Penny by on the ground alone.
I think theres some truth to your line of reasoning, but I would argue Penny's opportunity advantage (more opportunities on 3rd down) is at least somewhat negated by the Redskins having a superior offensive line to the Seahawks. Last year, it didn't show as much because the Redskins had quite a few injuries to their oline group, but in a vacuum I think their easily the better group. So, I think Guice being the more naturally talented player plus playing behind a more talented offensive line plus being about 1 1/2 years younger gives him the advantage over Penny being a more likely 3 down back. FYI, I don't bring up age because there's a world of difference between being 22 and 20 1/2, but I just think it's important to note when judging their college performance. Guice was an outstanding performer, while often times being one of the more younger players on the field. Can't say the same thing about Penny.
QB: D. Watson, T. Taylor, J. Driskel, J. Johnson, C. Rush, N. Sudfeld, M. White
RB: C. McCaffrey, C. Carson, K. Johnson, R. Penny, J. Samuels, D. Pumphrey
WR: J.J. Smith-Schuster, R. Woods, L. Fitzgerald, J. Nelson, M. Gallup R. Switzer, B. Berrios, C. Batson, R. Higgins, J. Kearse
TE: G. Kittle, I. Thomas, J Doyle, W. Dissly, J. Leggett, J. Gresham, T. Conklin
16 Team Dynasty (PPR). Lineup: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, TE, FLEX, SFLEX
2018 Champs

QB: M. Stafford, J. Garoppolo
RB: I. Crowell, J. Williams, A. Abdullah, C.J. Anderson
WR: C. Godwin, D.J. Moore, W. Fuller, M. Valdez-Scantling, D.J. Chark, E. St. Brown, J. Kumerow, R. Higgins, C. Meredith, J. Kearse
TE: D. Njoku, H. Henry, C. Herndon, G. Everett, I. Thomas, J. Leggett, W. Dissly
14 Team SuperFlex Dynasty TE 1.5 PPR and .15PPY, WR PPR, RB .25PPC and .5PPR, QB: 4 Point TDs
Lineup: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, FLEX, OP

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:44 pm

jonf86 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:28 pm
I think theres some truth to your line of reasoning, but I would argue Penny's opportunity advantage (more opportunities on 3rd down) is at least somewhat negated by the Redskins having a superior offensive line to the Seahawks. Last year, it didn't show as much because the Redskins had quite a few injuries to their oline group, but in a vacuum I think their easily the better group. So, I think Guice being the more naturally talented player plus playing behind a more talented offensive line plus being about 1 1/2 years younger gives him the advantage over Penny being a more likely 3 down back. FYI, I don't bring up age because there's a world of difference between being 22 and 20 1/2, but I just think it's important to note when judging their college performance. Guice was an outstanding performer, while often times being one of the more younger players on the field. Can't say the same thing about Penny.
Another fair point...I think both are excellent prospects and I think both will succeed in the NFL, I'll take Penny over Guice if I have to make a choice but theres a lot to like about both of them. In my most recent rookie draft thats a home league so not as competitive I was sitting at the 1.05 and Guice, Penny, and Chubb were all available miraculously and I decided to go with Guice because the 1.07 owner had mentioned he was interested in trading it away so I figured penny had a better shot at falling then Guice and l wasn't able to secure the 1.07 but got a deal done with the 1.08 owner and Penny was still there! haha it was what I consider a draft day Miracle. Super stoked to own both.

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Sat May 12, 2018 7:09 pm

Just wondering if opportunity is everything why not just take Rojo? Best spot of any rb ...
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Sun May 13, 2018 12:23 am

Because if you have the 1.02 you can surely trade down and grab Rojo at 1.04 1.05
12 Team 1QB IDP Full PPR Start 8
QB- Kenny Pickett, Jake Haener, Clayton Tune
RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Elijah Mitchell, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Gainwell, TDP, Jordan Mason
WR- Rondale Moore, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Terrence Marshall , Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Mecole Hardman, Rashid Shaheed, David Bell
TE- Michael Mayer, Likely, Chig, Cade Otten
LB- Jewell, Deablo, Troy Anderson
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga, Cine
Taxi Squad: Chase Brown, A.T. Perry, Keaton Mitchell, Khalan Laborn, Lew Nichols lll

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Sun May 13, 2018 5:14 am

Cherokee wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 12:23 am Because if you have the 1.02 you can surely trade down and grab Rojo at 1.04 1.05
I was merely stating b the point made where talent didn’t matter and opportunity was much more important is all.. so why then not trade down get the guy in the best spot then ?
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun May 13, 2018 7:44 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:01 pm I choose Guice because I don't want a plodder who tested well.
Who are you referring to as a plodder? Penny? Plodders don't return 8 KR/PR for TD's and set FBS records. He's explosive in the open field.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun May 13, 2018 7:47 am

Because it is. Amateur tape watchers are hanging on to their pre-draft assessments, there is zero evidence to suggest Guice is better. Now FWIW, I think both are very talented, and both win in different ways, but Guice is not in a different class of talent to Penny IMO, I think statistics, metrics and the NFL draft certainly proved that. No wrong pick here, go with who you like better.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun May 13, 2018 7:59 am

Penny played very well in his junior year, albeit with less opportunity. He ran for over 1000 yards at 7.4 YPC and still had 11 TD's rushing. When he was on the field, he was one of the best players. He stayed for his senior year to be "the guy" are increase his draft stock (and get an education presumably) which he did. I think Guice is a talented back, but I also believe Penny is every bit as talented. I think the OL thing is overblown, as Fluker was hurt a lot of last year, and they graded in the top half of the league the second half of the year. I think people should take into account Penny's 3 down ability, but not if they think Guice is better. Situations change, take whatever back you like more IMO.

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Sun May 13, 2018 8:58 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:59 am

Penny played very well in his junior year, albeit with less opportunity. He ran for over 1000 yards at 7.4 YPC and still had 11 TD's rushing. When he was on the field, he was one of the best players. He stayed for his senior year to be "the guy" are increase his draft stock (and get an education presumably) which he did. I think Guice is a talented back, but I also believe Penny is every bit as talented. I think the OL thing is overblown, as Fluker was hurt a lot of last year, and they graded in the top half of the league the second half of the year. I think people should take into account Penny's 3 down ability, but not if they think Guice is better. Situations change, take whatever back you like more IMO.
I see what your saying here not that I agree totally but a lot of nice pints brought out for penny he has skills does that translate to the nfl we simple don’t know he did produce against substantially weaker competition is the one draw back and he is going to a team that is in middle of a total rebuild and playing rob against the nfc west defs is not a joke either ... agreed probably not a wrong choice but I’m going with the back who did it against the best competition in the country outside the nfl and on the much better team .. but to each our own ..
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

jonf86
Starter
Starter

Postby jonf86 » Sun May 13, 2018 11:35 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:59 am

Penny did play well his junior year, but Guice did even better as a 19 year old sophomore. Also, as others have said, Guice compiled his stats with better competition (though with crappy qb play) and against better competition. An environment much more similar to the NFL than the Mountain West. Now, just because Penny played in a small school in a weak conference doesn't mean he still can't be successful, but we're comparing 2 great players and have to split hairs and ultimately I see more pros with Guice
QB: D. Watson, T. Taylor, J. Driskel, J. Johnson, C. Rush, N. Sudfeld, M. White
RB: C. McCaffrey, C. Carson, K. Johnson, R. Penny, J. Samuels, D. Pumphrey
WR: J.J. Smith-Schuster, R. Woods, L. Fitzgerald, J. Nelson, M. Gallup R. Switzer, B. Berrios, C. Batson, R. Higgins, J. Kearse
TE: G. Kittle, I. Thomas, J Doyle, W. Dissly, J. Leggett, J. Gresham, T. Conklin
16 Team Dynasty (PPR). Lineup: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, TE, FLEX, SFLEX
2018 Champs

QB: M. Stafford, J. Garoppolo
RB: I. Crowell, J. Williams, A. Abdullah, C.J. Anderson
WR: C. Godwin, D.J. Moore, W. Fuller, M. Valdez-Scantling, D.J. Chark, E. St. Brown, J. Kumerow, R. Higgins, C. Meredith, J. Kearse
TE: D. Njoku, H. Henry, C. Herndon, G. Everett, I. Thomas, J. Leggett, W. Dissly
14 Team SuperFlex Dynasty TE 1.5 PPR and .15PPY, WR PPR, RB .25PPC and .5PPR, QB: 4 Point TDs
Lineup: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, FLEX, OP

sammyz
Role Player
Role Player

Postby sammyz » Mon May 14, 2018 7:53 am

I think people are frankly overblowing the impact of Chris Thompson. He may be the go to 3rd down back, but that doesn't mean that Guice won't get receptions. He has hands, he spent his whole pro day catching passes, he can definitely catch the ball. Just because a back CAN catch a ball doesn't mean that he will. We don't actually know what Penny's receiving opportunity will be, especially with R Wilson being able to extend plays and having a much better receiving corps than Washington. Alex Smith loves to dump off to his Rbs. Chris Thompson or not, I think both of these guys recs will be closer than people think at the end of the year.

Additionally, quality of O-line aside, the carousel of rbs in Seattle concerns me somewhat. I'm not sure that they won't ignore draft capital and run with Carson or Davis or whoever if Penny struggles. I think Guice is so clearly superior to everyone else on his roster that that's less of a concern.
QBs: Dak Prescott, Teddy Bridgewater, Taysom Hill, Jameis Winston, Jalen Hurts, Andy Dalton
RBS: CMC, Miles Sanders, Gurley, JK Dobbins, AJ Dillon, Lamical Perine, Ito Smith
WRS: Godwin, DJ Moore, Juju, Keenan Allen, Diggs, McLaurin, Dionte Johnson, Jalen Reagor, Bryan Edwards, Brandon Aiyuk, Tim Patrick
TEs: Mark Andrews, TJ Hockenson, Irv Smith
DEF:Miami

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:24 am

sammyz wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:53 am I think people are frankly overblowing the impact of Chris Thompson. He may be the go to 3rd down back, but that doesn't mean that Guice won't get receptions. He has hands, he spent his whole pro day catching passes, he can definitely catch the ball. Just because a back CAN catch a ball doesn't mean that he will. We don't actually know what Penny's receiving opportunity will be, especially with R Wilson being able to extend plays and having a much better receiving corps than Washington. Alex Smith loves to dump off to his Rbs. Chris Thompson or not, I think both of these guys recs will be closer than people think at the end of the year.
Say what now? :think:
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

sammyz
Role Player
Role Player

Postby sammyz » Mon May 14, 2018 10:06 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:24 am
sammyz wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:53 am I think people are frankly overblowing the impact of Chris Thompson. He may be the go to 3rd down back, but that doesn't mean that Guice won't get receptions. He has hands, he spent his whole pro day catching passes, he can definitely catch the ball. Just because a back CAN catch a ball doesn't mean that he will. We don't actually know what Penny's receiving opportunity will be, especially with R Wilson being able to extend plays and having a much better receiving corps than Washington. Alex Smith loves to dump off to his Rbs. Chris Thompson or not, I think both of these guys recs will be closer than people think at the end of the year.
Say what now? :think:
Do you not see Baldwin and Lockett a superior to Crowder and Richardson? To me I just forsee a lot more of Seattle's broken plays winding up with balls in WR hands as opposed to RB hands. I forsee a lot of WAS broken plays winding up with balls in RB hands as opposed to WR hands. Time may prove me wrong, but it definitely feels that way based on Wilson's and Smith's playing styles.
QBs: Dak Prescott, Teddy Bridgewater, Taysom Hill, Jameis Winston, Jalen Hurts, Andy Dalton
RBS: CMC, Miles Sanders, Gurley, JK Dobbins, AJ Dillon, Lamical Perine, Ito Smith
WRS: Godwin, DJ Moore, Juju, Keenan Allen, Diggs, McLaurin, Dionte Johnson, Jalen Reagor, Bryan Edwards, Brandon Aiyuk, Tim Patrick
TEs: Mark Andrews, TJ Hockenson, Irv Smith
DEF:Miami