Penny vs Guice (WHY?)

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Penny or Guice?

Penny
41%
Guice
59%

Total votes: 109

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Penny vs Guice (WHY?)

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 14, 2018 10:30 am

sammyz wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:53 am I think people are frankly overblowing the impact of Chris Thompson. He may be the go to 3rd down back, but that doesn't mean that Guice won't get receptions. He has hands, he spent his whole pro day catching passes, he can definitely catch the ball. Just because a back CAN catch a ball doesn't mean that he will. We don't actually know what Penny's receiving opportunity will be, especially with R Wilson being able to extend plays and having a much better receiving corps than Washington. Alex Smith loves to dump off to his Rbs. Chris Thompson or not, I think both of these guys recs will be closer than people think at the end of the year.

Additionally, quality of O-line aside, the carousel of rbs in Seattle concerns me somewhat. I'm not sure that they won't ignore draft capital and run with Carson or Davis or whoever if Penny struggles. I think Guice is so clearly superior to everyone else on his roster that that's less of a concern.
I certainly would not worry about Thompson in making the pick. As I said earlier, take Guice or Penny, whoever you like more. I remember the senior bowl though, where the QB extended the play, Penny got upfield and beat his man on the sideline and went for a 73 yard TD, and I see that type of thing being able to happen with RW. I don't think Carson or Davis are threats to Penny at all. The backfield is going to be his. Penny is so superior to either of those guys as well. It's the same for both. They are both quite easily the best Backs on their team. Same with the carousel of RB's. Washington has been a revolving door at the position as well. Probably why both teams invested in the position with a high draft pick. I'm trying to be objective, it seems to me you are weaving a narrative to make it seem like Guice's situation is better in every way. I don't think you can go wrong here, they should both be successful backs with their talents. I'm frankly blown away that this vote is so lopsided in favour of Guice. Good to know as I have a rookie draft later.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:16 pm

sammyz wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:06 am
lukkynumber13 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:24 am
sammyz wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:53 am I think people are frankly overblowing the impact of Chris Thompson. He may be the go to 3rd down back, but that doesn't mean that Guice won't get receptions. He has hands, he spent his whole pro day catching passes, he can definitely catch the ball. Just because a back CAN catch a ball doesn't mean that he will. We don't actually know what Penny's receiving opportunity will be, especially with R Wilson being able to extend plays and having a much better receiving corps than Washington. Alex Smith loves to dump off to his Rbs. Chris Thompson or not, I think both of these guys recs will be closer than people think at the end of the year.
Say what now? :think:
Do you not see Baldwin and Lockett a superior to Crowder and Richardson? To me I just forsee a lot more of Seattle's broken plays winding up with balls in WR hands as opposed to RB hands. I forsee a lot of WAS broken plays winding up with balls in RB hands as opposed to WR hands. Time may prove me wrong, but it definitely feels that way based on Wilson's and Smith's playing styles.
I mean sure, Baldwin is for sure the best receiving weapon between both teams but it stops there.

I'll take Crowder, Richardson, 6-8 games of Reed, Doctson, and Chris Thompson over Lockett, Jaron Brown, and Nick Vannett.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

gameaholica
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gameaholica » Mon May 14, 2018 12:41 pm

kumetis93 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:17 pm Rookie draft coming up tomorrow and I own 1.02. Very torn between Guice and Penny.
Who did you end up drafting?
TheFantasyFootballGuys Dynasty League (13 keeper-PPR)
QB: Mahomes | Stafford | Mayfield
RB: Barkely | Henry | Etienne | Akers | Penny |
WR: Thomas | Bateman | Pittman | Metchie | Shaheed | W. Robinson
TE: Dulcich | Kincaid | Latu
Start: QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-Flex-Flex-K-DEF

Buzz's BBQ Dynasty League(18 keeper-PPR)
QB: J Allen | Stafford |
RB: J.Williams | J Taylor | Mostert | Herbert | Hall | Tucker | Charbonnet
WR: Chase | AJ Brown | Mims | JSN | Metchie | W Robinson
TE: Engram | LaPorta | Pitts | Latu | Ferguson
Start: QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-FLEX-K-DEF

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 pm

It's funny how ppl anoint Chris Thompson some sort of third down god but don't ever mention prosise, Carson or Davis. Seattle ipunder Carroll has always rotated outside of beast mode.

Situations are same to me, I'd go guice. More downhill, still a very good athlete and did it in the SEC.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 14, 2018 11:04 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 pm It's funny how ppl anoint Chris Thompson some sort of third down god but don't ever mention prosise, Carson or Davis. Seattle ipunder Carroll has always rotated outside of beast mode.

Situations are same to me, I'd go guice. More downhill, still a very good athlete and did it in the SEC.
To be fair, none of these guys have produced the way Thompson has. Carson is a late? 7th round pick who played a few games and suffered a bad injury (no threat), Davis has proven nothing buy a scrub in multiple years and for multiple teams, and Procise seems to be made of glass, so it's pretty apparent why, IMO. Don't get me wrong, though, I don't think people should worry about inferior talents on the teams they landed on to make the choice either way, Thompson simply hold the most immediate threat to short term production of the two, but should not tip the scale on a decision.

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Tue May 15, 2018 11:12 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:44 am
lukkynumber13 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:01 pm I choose Guice because I don't want a plodder who tested well.
Who are you referring to as a plodder? Penny? Plodders don't return 8 KR/PR for TD's and set FBS records. He's explosive in the open field.
i was going to make the same comment. it is impossible to be a plodder and blow away competition in the manner Penny did
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Dirty Mike&the Boys
Captain
Captain

Postby Dirty Mike&the Boys » Sun May 20, 2018 2:17 pm

gameaholica wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:41 pm
kumetis93 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:17 pm Rookie draft coming up tomorrow and I own 1.02. Very torn between Guice and Penny.
Sorry for the extremely late reply on this. I went with Penny, and the rest of the league laughed at me for it (which I couldn't care less about). I do think that due to him being a first rd pick and a position of need in SEA, he will get significant usage. I could see Guice being a beast as well, but I think Penny will catch plenty of passes out of the backfield, and make plays in the open field.

The fact that NE and CLE both were interested in Penny and attempted trading for him following his selection by SEA was the turning point in my decision. We won't know for 2-3 seasons if I made the right decision though.
12 TEAM SUPERFLEX, TE Premium, 25 man rosters
QB - | Rodgers | Herbert | Mills
RB - CMC | Chubb | Dobbins | Keaontay Ingram
WR - McLaurin | Deebo | Waddle | Gabriel Davis | Elijah Moore | Mooney | C Ridley | Jameson Williams | Pickens | Alec Pierce | Wan'dale Robinson | Justyn Ross | B Edwards
TE - M Andrews | Friermuth

2023 Picks: 1st round(2), 2nd round(2), 3rd round (2)

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Mon May 21, 2018 11:36 am

Both are in positive situations, and I slightly prefer Guice's talent. He's 18 months younger as well, which makes it a slam dunk in his favor for me.

Penny looks like the better bet for 2018 production though.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 21, 2018 8:23 pm

kumetis93 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:17 pm
gameaholica wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:41 pm
Sorry for the extremely late reply on this. I went with Penny, and the rest of the league laughed at me for it (which I couldn't care less about). I do think that due to him being a first rd pick and a position of need in SEA, he will get significant usage. I could see Guice being a beast as well, but I think Penny will catch plenty of passes out of the backfield, and make plays in the open field.

The fact that NE and CLE both were interested in Penny and attempted trading for him following his selection by SEA was the turning point in my decision. We won't know for 2-3 seasons if I made the right decision though.
Why? Taking the more productive RB with better draft capital and a path to 3 down playing time is laughable because...... :shock: . People can still weave just as strong a narrative for taking Guice, but neither selection is laughable.

esloan35
All Pro
All Pro

Postby esloan35 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:24 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:44 am
lukkynumber13 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:01 pm I choose Guice because I don't want a plodder who tested well.
Who are you referring to as a plodder? Penny? Plodders don't return 8 KR/PR for TD's and set FBS records. He's explosive in the open field.
I think I agree, he shows quickness with a good size frame. Not quite seeing the plodder in him. Johnson getting caught from behind by LBs, now that's a plodder... I still think Guice runs more violent than Penny and played in a superior program against the best. I have shares with both so we shall see. Guice dropped to 1.06 in a draft I was in last week. Hit that draft button in .002 seconds. Good post all!

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri May 25, 2018 8:28 pm

Penny.

3 down backs are worth more.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sat May 26, 2018 11:06 pm

I find it incredibly odd that in all the Guice related threads or posts I’ve read, I never hear even a mention of Samaje Perine.
In this thread, CJ Prosise Chris Carson, Chris Thompson, and Boobie Miles are all worth at least a mention in discussion.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Perine get more play time than people seem to expect.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:44 pm

Valhalla wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:06 pm I find it incredibly odd that in all the Guice related threads or posts I’ve read, I never hear even a mention of Samaje Perine.
In this thread, CJ Prosise Chris Carson, Chris Thompson, and Boobie Miles are all worth at least a mention in discussion.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Perine get more play time than people seem to expect.
Prosise, Thompson, and Carson are all better than Perine. Perine is a zero. He weighs a lot, but otherwise he does nothing above average.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 28, 2018 8:56 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:44 pm
Valhalla wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:06 pm I find it incredibly odd that in all the Guice related threads or posts I’ve read, I never hear even a mention of Samaje Perine.

Prosise, Thompson, and Carson are all better than Perine. Perine is a zero. He weighs a lot, but otherwise he does nothing above average.
Yeah, and Boobie had that knee injury, so I don't see him being as much of a threat. He may become a threat to the QB though, he can throw too, don't you know.

playa_hata
All Pro
All Pro

Postby playa_hata » Tue May 29, 2018 4:29 am

guice bc hawks oline
12 team PPR SuperFlex start 9 (Same for each team)

TM1
QB: Rodgers, Rivers, Dak, Dalton, Smith
RB: Zeke, CMC, Jacobs, Chubb, Gore, Dearnest
WR: Davante Adams, Tyreek, Fuller, Aj Brown, AB, MVS, Fulgham, Ward, Fitz, Beasley, amendola, zaccheus
TE: Ertz, Engram, Fells

TM2
QB: Rodgers, Baker, Stafford, Bridgewater
RB:Kamara, Chubb, Hunt, Singletary
WR:M Evans,D Adams,Kupp, AJ brown, lockett, sanders,miller, Patrick, Robinson, Hamilton, Lasley, D.Robinson, Trey Quinn, Scantling, agholor
TE: Kelce, Rudolph, Irv smith, gronk, Burton