Sony Michel

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Sony Michel

Postby Gator Sens » Wed May 09, 2018 11:23 am

How does everyone feel about the likelihood of success for Michel going to New England? Is he a top 4 pick in rookie drafts ? Top 8 pick? I had him penciled in as my 1.04 pick but now I just can't seem to get the New England fantasy frustration out of my head. Is he a top tier back in this class or part of the next tier after Guice? I appreciate any thoughts and help. My draft is a week from Sunday and I'm very torn

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Re: Sony Michel

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed May 09, 2018 11:28 am

I'm pretty torn on him too. His upside is Dion Lewis 2015 before he got hurt. His downside is Dion Lewis 2016-17 where he was a big part of the game plan for about half the games, and completely ignored the other half.

I have him at the end of tier 2. His ceiling is too high to take guys like Freeman and Johnson over him, but I would rather have Guice, Chubb, and Penny. Jones is a wash for me. Jones vs. Michel is a ceiling vs. floor debate, I guess.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Personally I'm not scared off by NE one bit. Michel has never needed tons of volume to have production. He was the lesser in a timeshare at Georgia but still out produced Chubb. At times it may be frustrating but Michel blows away all the other talent in NE and while the last few years its been frustrating I think a big part of that was the fact they didn't have a stud on their team but instead employed 2-3 so-so guys in different situations. I don't see how everyone is freaked out about this landing spot but not overly concerned with Chubb going to a team where they ran the ball the fewest amount of times of any team in the NFL, on top of that he has zero chance of catching any balls with Duke being there and while Hyde may be gone after a year or two he is not a JAG by any means and will command at least 10-12 carries of his own each game. Jay Gruden has come out and said that they have zero intentions of using him on 3rd downs while Thompson is healthy so now he will be relegated to a 2 down role as well....I liked Michel nearly even with Guice heading into the draft and now I have in slotted in at the 1.03 right behind Penny with Guice going at 1.04 and then Chubb at 1.05.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed May 09, 2018 3:11 pm

Sony is the most talented RB NE has had IMO. Bill is going to have fun with him. I know I am in the minority, but he is my 1.03
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Duke Nuk’em
Starter
Starter

Postby Duke Nuk’em » Wed May 09, 2018 6:19 pm

Gator Sens wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:23 am How does everyone feel about the likelihood of success for Michel going to New England? Is he a top 4 pick in rookie drafts ? Top 8 pick? I had him penciled in as my 1.04 pick but now I just can't seem to get the New England fantasy frustration out of my head. Is he a top tier back in this class or part of the next tier after Guice? I appreciate any thoughts and help. My draft is a week from Sunday and I'm very torn
I'm sitting at 1.03 and 1.04. I'm hoping Guice is #2 and I get to scoop up Penny then Michel. Look at how the Patriots have handled Kevin Faulk, Danny Woodhead and Dion Lewis in the past. All three were dynamic. BB got the most out of Woodhead and Lewis was a beast when healthy, just ask Evan Silva. Michel will be a 225+ touch RB as a rookie.

DYNASTY BALLA$
Starter
Starter

Postby DYNASTY BALLA$ » Fri May 11, 2018 9:19 am

murphysxm wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:11 pm Sony is the most talented RB NE has had IMO. Bill is going to have fun with him. I know I am in the minority, but he is my 1.03
I'm in all with you on Michel. There's no way Hoodsie took Michel in the 1st round unless he has big plans for him. He could have easily traded back into the 2nd which would have been typical for NE to do. Instead, he took only the second skill-set player (I believe) that he's ever taken in the 1st round. Before the draft, Michel was my second favorite RB behind Barkley and that hasn't changed.

I think he'll be all over the field. Remember, this year NE lost Dion, Amendola and Cooks. All three caught a lot of passes which Michel is quite capable of doing.

He's going to be a lot of fun to watch, wait and see.
FFPC $2500 #6 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5
QB: Josh Allen
RB: CMC, Zeke, Spears, Mattison, Justice Hill
WR: Kupp, Tyreek, Diggs, DSmith, MWilliams
TE: Andrews, Ferguson

FFPC $2500 #5 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5 (2021 Champ)
QB: Josh Allen
RB: CMC, Jacobs, Ekeler, Monty, Achane,
WR: Kupp, Pittman, Amari, Ridley, Lockett
TE: Andrews, Ferguson

FFPC $750 #46 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5
QB: Mahomes
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Saquon, Kyren, Javonte
WR: Tyreek, Kupp, Waddle, Wan'Dale
TE: Hock, LaPorta

andypro7
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby andypro7 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:26 pm

I got him at 1.03 after Barkley and Guice. I chose him over Penny because we play best-ball, and I chose Michel's big game possibilities over Penny's week to week solid stats.

Two things when it comes to Michel:
1. Fumbling - obviously he can't do that in NE, but I'll bet BB gives him more of a leash than he's given others #draftcapital
2. The bone-on-bone thing that is supposed to shorten his career. This is actually now a positive that he's in NE - for his fantasy value. Other teams would have worried about his usage and longevity and might have limited his touches. The way BB and the Pats work it's unlikely that Michel sees a second contract with them so they will be more likely to run him into the ground than other teams would.

If he just takes what Lewis took in the 2nd half of last season, he's an RB1

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Tue May 15, 2018 11:42 am

not a chance i would take him before barkley, guice, penny, chubb, and probably even jones. he was my favorite back pre draft and now i am disinterested.
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:28 pm

BigBawseRoss wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:42 am not a chance i would take him before barkley, guice, penny, chubb, and probably even jones. he was my favorite back pre draft and now i am disinterested.
In one league I'm in this is how my leaguemates felt and I got him at 1.09....couldn't be happier. I love the Pats landing spot and is still my 1.03

Duke Nuk’em
Starter
Starter

Postby Duke Nuk’em » Wed May 16, 2018 8:41 am

Just got him at 1.03. Haven’t seen him go below 1.05

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Wed May 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Titans95 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:28 pm
BigBawseRoss wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:42 am not a chance i would take him before barkley, guice, penny, chubb, and probably even jones. he was my favorite back pre draft and now i am disinterested.
In one league I'm in this is how my leaguemates felt and I got him at 1.09....couldn't be happier. I love the Pats landing spot and is still my 1.03
can i ask what makes you love the pats landing spot? i cant wrap my head around anyone seeing the landing spot as ideal
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:50 pm

BigBawseRoss wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:25 pm
can i ask what makes you love the pats landing spot? i cant wrap my head around anyone seeing the landing spot as ideal
I love it because it allowed my 1.02/1.03 predraft to fall to me all the way at 1.09. Yes there were some more ideal spots for him to go to but I just don't believe the pats drafted an RB in the 1st round to make him a full time RBBC. Yes I think Burkhead and White will get some receptions and carries but Michel is superior to both of them in just about every single category. The pats use different running backs for different gameplans and situations because they have had a bunch of middling talents that could only ever do one or two things well. Michel can do it all and I believe they will give him a similar workload to what Freeman gets in Atlanta. That's not considered a "workhorse" load but being on the highest scoring offense in the NFL you don't need 300+ touches to be an RB1. 200 carries + 40-50 receptions is all Michel will need to produce RB1 numbers. People also want to reference Laurence Maroney since the PAtriots drafted him in the 1st round and he didn't get very many carries but no one wants to mention that even though he was a 1st round pick he was still a mediocre back at best. I don't believe Michel is mediocre in any aspect of the game so I personally don't believe its a good comparison.

Duke Nuk’em
Starter
Starter

Postby Duke Nuk’em » Wed May 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Titans95 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:50 pm

I love it because it allowed my 1.02/1.03 predraft to fall to me all the way at 1.09. Yes there were some more ideal spots for him to go to but I just don't believe the pats drafted an RB in the 1st round to make him a full time RBBC. Yes I think Burkhead and White will get some receptions and carries but Michel is superior to both of them in just about every single category. The pats use different running backs for different gameplans and situations because they have had a bunch of middling talents that could only ever do one or two things well. Michel can do it all and I believe they will give him a similar workload to what Freeman gets in Atlanta. That's not considered a "workhorse" load but being on the highest scoring offense in the NFL you don't need 300+ touches to be an RB1. 200 carries + 40-50 receptions is all Michel will need to produce RB1 numbers. People also want to reference Laurence Maroney since the PAtriots drafted him in the 1st round and he didn't get very many carries but no one wants to mention that even though he was a 1st round pick he was still a mediocre back at best. I don't believe Michel is mediocre in any aspect of the game so I personally don't believe its a good comparison.
this +1

Show me a RB that Belichick hasn't gotten the most out of. Antwan Smith had 2 great seasons at the beginning of the Pats dynasty. JR Redmond had a great rookie season before that freak injury at the Pro Bowl Dillon resurrected his career. Lawrence Maroney had a couple of good seasons. Hell, Ridley, Vareen, White have all produced better than expected. While the track record at WR for Belichick is horrible. I'm confident that he and McDanienls drafted this guy to be a difference maker.

I like him better than Guice.

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:02 pm

scilly wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:23 pm
Titans95 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:50 pm

this +1

Show me a RB that Belichick hasn't gotten the most out of. Antwan Smith had 2 great seasons at the beginning of the Pats dynasty. JR Redmond had a great rookie season before that freak injury at the Pro Bowl Dillon resurrected his career. Lawrence Maroney had a couple of good seasons. Hell, Ridley, Vareen, White have all produced better than expected. While the track record at WR for Belichick is horrible. I'm confident that he and McDanienls drafted this guy to be a difference maker.

I like him better than Guice.
Finally, a man with the correct vision :clap:

Duke Nuk’em
Starter
Starter

Postby Duke Nuk’em » Wed May 16, 2018 5:13 pm

:thumbup: