Josh Gordon vs Sammy Watkins

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
streitm1
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Josh Gordon vs Sammy Watkins

Postby streitm1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:51 pm

What are people's thoughts of Flash vs Watkins. I see there ADP is close. Flash has put up WR1 numbers when playing, but he is one mistake away from never playing again. Odds are he will make that mistake, but will it be in a year, 3 years or longer. I also don't trust Cleveland, I live in Ohio and have seen them be dumb too often. They are trying turning it around but have been working on that for like 20 years.

On the Watkins side, he has the physical tools, but would not be the first with the tools that never figured it out. It seems the Bills are death to WR, Woods, Goodwin and Watkins to an extent had a solid year last year. So was his utilization in Buffalo the problem. In LA, he was traded late. Still put up okay numbers for that. Do we think KC will use him better.

TLDR, Watkins or Flash and why.
Team 1
12 Team 0.5 PPR + 0.5 PPFD : 1QB 2WR 2RB 1TE 2Flex
QB: Prescott, Winston,
WR: AB, D. Adams, S. Watkins, A. Robinson, G. Tate, L. Treadwell, D. Moore, A. Stewart,
RB: J. Mixon, D. Lewis, T. Riddick, J. White, J. Allen, A. Blue, CJ Anderson, M. Davis, E. McGuire, W. Gallman, D. Williams, J. Wilson
TE: Z. Ertz, H. Henry, D. Goedert, I. Thomas, J. Heuerman

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Josh Gordon vs Sammy Watkins

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:22 pm

Interesting question, and I'm saddened as a Sammy believer that this is even a reasonable post to respond to (which it is)!

I still feel that Sammy is much more valuable in dynasty tho, for a few reasons:

1. AGE - This one is a simplistic reason, but there's an age gap nonetheless (Sammy is about to turn 25, Gordon is almost 27; a little over 2 years between them)

2. BOTH guys have lit the world on fire when everything is clicking, and both guys are coming off of seasons where they didn't produce very heavily, due to multiple variables. Both guys are entering very new situations this season (Gordon catching passes from new QB, most likely 2 new QBs, as well as sharing the ball with a target hog. Sammy goes to a new team entirely, and also will be sharing the ball with a pair of premier weapons, although he had to share the ball last year too). The one thing that Sammy can claim going into 2018 that Gordon cannot, is that he just got paid big bucks to be a primary weapon. Granted, who knows what Gordon might've made had he been a FA, but the fact is Josh Gordon isn't part of an organization that has very much invested in him (nor should they).

3. Sammy dealt with SEVERE nagging foot/ankle injuries up until 2017, this is certainly a red flag. But I can't imagine Gordon spending a couple years out of the league, partying with Manziel and out of an NFL-training facility, great for his own health going forward.

4. Obviously the most damning thing against Gordon, we all know, is his substance history. This is a HUGE red flag, which can literally not be overstated. One more dirty test, one DUI, one more blurb on Rotoworld about a slip-up - and dude is OUT OF THE LEAGUE FOR GOOD. Shoot, even with all the Sammy concerns, if he broke his foot tomorrow, he would still be worth an early 2nd. The fact that Gordon, as long as he continues playing, literally hangs by a thread (a thread that he controls, mind you), has to be extremely scary.

I'm seriously amazed and impressed by the man so far, to do what almost no one else has done, climbing back to being an NFL starter after wallowing in addiction. But the fact is, he has no margin for error, and that is such a huge deal in my evaluation of a player's value.

Sammy = 1.02-1.06
Gordon = 1.06-1.10
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)