Rate the "Maybe" Backs

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Rate the "Maybe" Backs

Postby lukkynumber13 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:02 pm

Weber27 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:51 pm
darewood11 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:11 pm Mack will not get 15 to 20 touches a game. Imo he's not that type of back and I don't think he will get that chance. Indy will add a back
I don't see why not. 15 to 20 touches a game isn't out of the question for Mack. He has proved in college that he can handle that workload. Kamara and Hunt are doing it, why not Mack?

Alvin Kamara is 5'10 214, Kareem Hunt 5'10 216, Marlon Mack 5'11 213. Each of these players are relatively the same size.

Alvin Kamara in college never had more than 103 carries - Mack had 2 years over 200 carries - Kamara did have 30 and 40 reception seasons but mack also had 21, 16, and 28 respectively. Kamara last year with the Saints never had more than 12 carries but averaged about 8 per game and averaged 5/6 receptions a game putting him right at about 12-18 touches per week. Kamara was ultra efficient and in an incredible offensive system so it really propelled him into what some think is top 4/5 Fantasy RB. I don't see why Marlon Mack can't do the same with Andrew Luck (not saying the same as far as numbers and efficiency, but easily the volume) Everyone thought Kamara was never going to be more than a 3rd down pass catching back with minimal volume, yet many are thinking his volume will increase, so I don't know where your supporting argument is that Mack can't handle 15/20 touches (not rushes, total touches) 10-12 carries and 5-8 catches is very possible.

Everyone thinks Kareem Hunt is solidified workhorse, yet his size is very similar to Mack and his college volume was similar to Mack, only having 1 season where he had more carries and only 1 season where he caught more passes out of the backfield then Mack, so why can Hunt be a workhorse, but Mack Cannot? And why can Kamara be a top 5 RB but Marlon mack is no more than a RB2/3 at best...

Lastly, Marlon Mack's 40 yard dash, speed score, burst score and college dominator are all better than Kareem Hunt, And Marlon Mack beats Kamara in both 40 dash, speed score and college dominator as well, though Kamara has a better burst score (ridiculous 93rd percentile) Mack is still in the 71st percentile.
I don't mean this disrespectfully at all, but you're making it too complicated. No one is questioning Mack as an athlete, and almost no one is doubting that he CAN be a very electric player at times. His problem is he doesn't yet know how to be an NFL running back.

He wants to be Shady McCoy, but he needs to be willing to run like Robert Turbin sometimes and just go FORWARD. Otherwise he will end up as the next C-Mike
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Weber27
Starter
Starter

Postby Weber27 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:59 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:02 pm
Weber27 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:51 pm
darewood11 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:11 pm Mack will not get 15 to 20 touches a game. Imo he's not that type of back and I don't think he will get that chance. Indy will add a back
I don't see why not. 15 to 20 touches a game isn't out of the question for Mack. He has proved in college that he can handle that workload. Kamara and Hunt are doing it, why not Mack?

Alvin Kamara is 5'10 214, Kareem Hunt 5'10 216, Marlon Mack 5'11 213. Each of these players are relatively the same size.

Alvin Kamara in college never had more than 103 carries - Mack had 2 years over 200 carries - Kamara did have 30 and 40 reception seasons but mack also had 21, 16, and 28 respectively. Kamara last year with the Saints never had more than 12 carries but averaged about 8 per game and averaged 5/6 receptions a game putting him right at about 12-18 touches per week. Kamara was ultra efficient and in an incredible offensive system so it really propelled him into what some think is top 4/5 Fantasy RB. I don't see why Marlon Mack can't do the same with Andrew Luck (not saying the same as far as numbers and efficiency, but easily the volume) Everyone thought Kamara was never going to be more than a 3rd down pass catching back with minimal volume, yet many are thinking his volume will increase, so I don't know where your supporting argument is that Mack can't handle 15/20 touches (not rushes, total touches) 10-12 carries and 5-8 catches is very possible.

Everyone thinks Kareem Hunt is solidified workhorse, yet his size is very similar to Mack and his college volume was similar to Mack, only having 1 season where he had more carries and only 1 season where he caught more passes out of the backfield then Mack, so why can Hunt be a workhorse, but Mack Cannot? And why can Kamara be a top 5 RB but Marlon mack is no more than a RB2/3 at best...

Lastly, Marlon Mack's 40 yard dash, speed score, burst score and college dominator are all better than Kareem Hunt, And Marlon Mack beats Kamara in both 40 dash, speed score and college dominator as well, though Kamara has a better burst score (ridiculous 93rd percentile) Mack is still in the 71st percentile.
I don't mean this disrespectfully at all, but you're making it too complicated. No one is questioning Mack as an athlete, and almost no one is doubting that he CAN be a very electric player at times. His problem is he doesn't yet know how to be an NFL running back.

He wants to be Shady McCoy, but he needs to be willing to run like Robert Turbin sometimes and just go FORWARD. Otherwise he will end up as the next C-Mike
The post I replied to was in reference to "Mack will not get 15 to 20 touches a game. Imo he's not that type of back and I don't think he will get that chance. Indy will add a back". This comment has no support to back up the claim. So as "complicated" as it may have seemed, it was to prove a point that Mack can get 15/20 touches a game and his past history and metrics prove that. That doesn't mean he has to be a grinder between the tackles, because yes I think he can improve in that part of his game for sure, but the question I have is... Did Indy actually want Mack to do that last year and did he have a ton of opportunities to prove he can't? They had Gore and didn't exactly need Mack to grind between the tackles, they wanted splash plays and he provided several. If he takes on a bigger role next year, then yes I agree 100% he will need to improve his game between the tackles and not try and Reggie Bush every run to the outside, but I think he has proved in college that he can do it. If you put Mack on the Saints I think everyone would be a lot higher on him. If Indy can sure up their O-line through FA/Draft, I think they have a future back that can be paired with a goal line type grinder and be a good fantasy asset.
New Mexico Maulers 2019 Champion
12-Team, SF, PPR, TEP, 30 player roster, 5 Rd Rookie Draft Starters: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB: Mahomes, Dak, D. Jones, R. Wilson, Stidham
RB: JT, CMC, Breece, R. White, Izz A, L. Murray, McKinnon, LF, Ahmed, Moss
WR: AJB, Sutton, Jeudy, Addison, London, Godwin, Hardman,
TE: Andrews, Friermuth, Ferguson, , Tremble

Draft Picks:
|2024| 1st, 2nd, 4th
|2025| 1, 2, 4, 5

Rocky Mountain Ramblers 2022 Champion
12 Team, SF, PPR, 30 player roster, 5 Rd Rookie Draft | Starters: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, SF
QB: Lamar, TLaw, Dak, Darnold, M. White
RB: CMC, JT, Breece, LF, L. Murray, Ahmed, Mcglauglin, Moss, Mitchell
WR: AJB, Lamb, G. Wilson, DJM, Hopkins, Jeudy, Burks, Kirk,
TE: Pitts, Freiermuth, Dulcich, Jonnu, Johnson
]Draft Picks:
|2024| - 1st, 5th
|2025| 1, 4, 5

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:31 pm

I think you're confusing the difference between Mack being able to handle the load with "Is he good enough to warrant getting the load ? "

Just not a great instinctive RB that is poor in pass protection. That will not get the job done especially if you are charged with protecting Andrew Luck. Reminds me of Felix Jones. Gets caught too many times trying to make the highlight reel play instead of the play that needs to be made.

Maybe Pederson can coach him up and use him properly. But also wouldn't be surprised to see them move on from him either

darewood11
All Pro
All Pro

Postby darewood11 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:23 pm

Weber27 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:59 am
lukkynumber13 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:02 pm
Weber27 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:51 pm I don't see why not. 15 to 20 touches a game isn't out of the question for Mack. He has proved in college that he can handle that workload. Kamara and Hunt are doing it, why not Mack?

The post I replied to was in reference to "Mack will not get 15 to 20 touches a game. Imo he's not that type of back and I don't think he will get that chance. Indy will add a back". This comment has no support to back up the claim. So as "complicated" as it may have seemed, it was to prove a point that Mack can get 15/20 touches a game and his past history and metrics prove that. That doesn't mean he has to be a grinder between the tackles, because yes I think he can improve in that part of his game for sure, but the question I have is... Did Indy actually want Mack to do that last year and did he have a ton of opportunities to prove he can't? They had Gore and didn't exactly need Mack to grind between the tackles, they wanted splash plays and he provided several. If he takes on a bigger role next year, then yes I agree 100% he will need to improve his game between the tackles and not try and Reggie Bush every run to the outside, but I think he has proved in college that he can do it. If you put Mack on the Saints I think everyone would be a lot higher on him. If Indy can sure up their O-line through FA/Draft, I think they have a future back that can be paired with a goal line type grinder and be a good fantasy asset.

Im not disputing any of that and I think mack is a decent back but the coaching staff doesn't want him to be a workhorse back. They don't want him to handle 20 plus touches. They didn't let him have 20 touches this season.

Weber27
Starter
Starter

Postby Weber27 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:27 am

darewood11 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:23 pm
Weber27 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:59 am
lukkynumber13 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:02 pm I don't mean this disrespectfully at all, but you're making it too complicated. No one is questioning Mack as an athlete, and almost no one is doubting that he CAN be a very electric player at times. His problem is he doesn't yet know how to be an NFL running back.

Im not disputing any of that and I think mack is a decent back but the coaching staff doesn't want him to be a workhorse back. They don't want him to handle 20 plus touches. They didn't let him have 20 touches this season.
True, though they had Frank Gore, so they had no need for Mack to get 20 touches, but Gore is likely gone and it's a completely different coaching staff. No to mention I don't think Mack will be a workhorse back, never said he had to be or that he could be, but 15-20 touches is not a workhorse. As I explained with Kamara, the volume doesn't need to be there in order to be fantasy relevant. Nobody is calling Kamara a workhorse.
New Mexico Maulers 2019 Champion
12-Team, SF, PPR, TEP, 30 player roster, 5 Rd Rookie Draft Starters: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB: Mahomes, Dak, D. Jones, R. Wilson, Stidham
RB: JT, CMC, Breece, R. White, Izz A, L. Murray, McKinnon, LF, Ahmed, Moss
WR: AJB, Sutton, Jeudy, Addison, London, Godwin, Hardman,
TE: Andrews, Friermuth, Ferguson, , Tremble

Draft Picks:
|2024| 1st, 2nd, 4th
|2025| 1, 2, 4, 5

Rocky Mountain Ramblers 2022 Champion
12 Team, SF, PPR, 30 player roster, 5 Rd Rookie Draft | Starters: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, SF
QB: Lamar, TLaw, Dak, Darnold, M. White
RB: CMC, JT, Breece, LF, L. Murray, Ahmed, Mcglauglin, Moss, Mitchell
WR: AJB, Lamb, G. Wilson, DJM, Hopkins, Jeudy, Burks, Kirk,
TE: Pitts, Freiermuth, Dulcich, Jonnu, Johnson
]Draft Picks:
|2024| - 1st, 5th
|2025| 1, 4, 5