Rate the "Maybe" Backs

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
SteveVolk
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Rate the "Maybe" Backs

Postby SteveVolk » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:12 pm

I am looking into trying to land one of the running backs from that messy pile who might rise next season. I've gone ahead and thrown a couple of more solid backs with more defined roles into the pile, including Tevin Coleman, just to get a sense of how other people rate these guys. I am not ranking them in this list, cause I do not want to influence anyone. Which backs would you target here? —Best, Steve

Devontae Booker
Tarik Cohen
Samaje Perine
Jamaal Williams
Aaron Jones
Chris Carson
Wayne Gallman
Duke Johnson
Isaiah Crowell
Corey Clement
Tevin Coleman
CJ Anderson
Gio Bernard
Matt Breida
Kenyan Drake
Jerick McKinnon
Chris Thompson
Marlon Mack

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Rate the "Maybe" Backs

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:50 pm

Tevin Coleman
Isaiah Crowell
Kenyan Drake
-
Duke Johnson
Aaron Jones
Jerick McKinnon
Samaje Perine
Jamaal Williams
-
Chris Thompson
Devontae Booker
Gio Bernard
Marlon Mack
Chris Carson
CJ Anderson
Wayne Gallman
Corey Clement
Tarik Cohen
Matt Breida
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

SteveVolk
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby SteveVolk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:29 am

Thanks, man. Very interesting that you're so down on Cohen. I have an opportunity to get him but just can't bring myself to do it. The Nagy hiring is hyping up his value a bit but I have trouble seeing him develop a consistent role. I hate saying it, but just flat too small. I see people comping his usage there to Hill's in K.C. but are his receiving chops really that good? Also, Hill is still four inches taller.
I think I'm gonna target Perine and Williams in that second tier and see if I can land one of them.

senska11
Role Player
Role Player

Postby senska11 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:45 am

I'd rank them as follows with rough tier breaks. Obviously landing spot and post-draft situation will have impact on quite a few of these guys.

Kenyon Drake
Tevin Coleman
Isaiah Crowell

Chris Thompson
Duke Johnson
CJ Anderson
Aaron Jones

Marlon Mack
Chris Carson
Wayne Gallman
Jamaal Williams

Corey Clement
Gio Bernard
Jerick McKinnon
Devontae Booker
Tarik Cohen

Samaje Perine
Matt Breida

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:14 am

Duke, Coleman, Drake, and Breida...in no particular order, are the guys I'd be INTERESTED in from that list. There are other guys that I'd rank ahead of some them, but I'd let someone else go after them. To me, those 4 have the highest upside (or pique my interest), and if I had enough depth, I'd rather stash them.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:23 am

SteveVolk wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:29 am Thanks, man. Very interesting that you're so down on Cohen. I have an opportunity to get him but just can't bring myself to do it. The Nagy hiring is hyping up his value a bit but I have trouble seeing him develop a consistent role. I hate saying it, but just flat too small. I see people comping his usage there to Hill's in K.C. but are his receiving chops really that good? Also, Hill is still four inches taller.
I think I'm gonna target Perine and Williams in that second tier and see if I can land one of them.
And of course for the most part, the gaps between the top ranked and last ranked is not very big. Kenyan Drake could become Matt Jones 2.0 or CMike 2.0 and effectively be out of the league in a year's time, and I don't think that would be terribly surprising.

Why didn't you have Alex Collins on this list, just curious? Also Dion Lewis. Do you view them as more or less locks to at least have 2-down starting roles in 2018?

Me personally, I'd have Collins at the top of the rankings, just ahead of Coleman and Drake, and Lewis would probably be at the top of my 2nd tier.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Stevens61310
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Stevens61310 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:40 am

With no idea what the criteria for how you rank these backs--these are the tiers based on if I were offered them in a trade of some sort. Depending on the trade of course. And depending on where they land--

Tevin Coleman
Duke Johnson
Tarik Cohen (don't sleep on him dudes)
Devontae Booker

Gio
Chris Thompson

CJA
Crowell

Jamaal Williams
Aaron Jones
Corey Clement
Kenyan Drake
Jerrick McKinnon

If you are including these in your trade offer--the rest of the trade had better be substantial--
Samaje Perine
Chris Carson
Wayne Gallman
Matt Breida
Marlon Mack

My thoughts--

SteveVolk
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby SteveVolk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:17 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:23 am
Why didn't you have Alex Collins on this list, just curious? Also Dion Lewis. Do you view them as more or less locks to at least have 2-down starting roles in 2018?

Me personally, I'd have Collins at the top of the rankings, just ahead of Coleman and Drake, and Lewis would probably be at the top of my 2nd tier.
I didn't list Collins because I already own him on the team I'm asking about. I like him a lot and think he should be a lock for a two down role but Harbaugh didn't seem that enthusiastic about him in his end of season presser. I'm concerned that they are not committed to him, but I think he has the skill set to be the best back in that group I listed. And Dion Lewis... I just stay away from Pats' running backs. I'll let someone else pursue him so I do not have to deal with the uncertainty of when he is gonna get the ball.

darewood11
All Pro
All Pro

Postby darewood11 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:25 am

SteveVolk wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:17 pm

I didn't list Collins because I already own him on the team I'm asking about. I like him a lot and think he should be a lock for a two down role but Harbaugh didn't seem that enthusiastic about him in his end of season presser. I'm concerned that they are not committed to him, but I think he has the skill set to be the best back in that group I listed. And Dion Lewis... I just stay away from Pats' running backs. I'll let someone else pursue him so I do not have to deal with the uncertainty of when he is gonna get the ball.
Lewis is free agent

Coleman
Johnson
Crowell
McKinnon

Drake
Jones
Clement
Breida

Thompson
Cohen
Cj
Gio
Williams
Carson
Mack
Gallman

Weber27
Starter
Starter

Postby Weber27 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:24 pm

Duke Johnson - (Threat of Barkley is the only issue, if no Barkley he will remain a top 15 RB)
Tevin Coleman
Chris Thompson

Devontae Booker
Kenyan Drake - (could be a 1 hit wonder, caution here)
Marlon Mack
Jerick McKinnon - (Whoever brings him in will likely be for 3rd down type committee, but I love the talent)
Tarik Cohen - (Great PPR committee back to own)
Samaje Perine - (Could become a bell cow, worth the dart throw)

CJ Anderson
Jamaal Williams
Aaron Jones
Corey Clement
Gio Bernard - (Mixon is pushing him out, but still effective in PPR)
Matt Breida
Isaiah Crowell
Chris Carson - (Hard to have any faith in Seattle RBs)
Wayne Gallman - (Better RB's will be adde, Perkin and Gallman are just too average to be relevant)

Did anyone see Marlon Mack play last year? If Mack gets to touch the ball 15/20 times a game he could be a real steal at his price, go get him. Obviously depending on what happens to Luck and if they draft a top end RB. But if you haven't go look at his 2017 highlights. The Colts were just invested in the Old man Gore and never really gave Mack a huge opportunity (New Head Coach Frank Reich on the other hand used Rookie Corey Clement well in Philly and Mack is a better RB all around than Clement)

Devontae Booker just needs to stay healthy and Denver will likely part ways with CJA leaving Booker one last opportunity to prove his worth. He has decent draft stock and has really gifted hands and ability catching out the backfield if he can just prove he can run consistently through the tackles. Don't sleep on Booker he has all the tools.

Chris Thompson is another player I moved way up because of Alex Smith, perfect RB receiving options for a guy like Smith. If Thompson can stay healthy he will have Duke Johnson type production mostly coming from the passing game. Also don't sleep on Perine's ability to catch the ball he has natural hands and proved throughout college and last year that he can catch and be effective out of the backfield.

Lastly, I don't know why everyone is so high on Crowell. He looks so average to me and will only be a committee type back will minimal value without an injury occurs. You can make a case in standard leagues but anything .5 PPR or 1 PPR I wouldn't be interested in Crowell.
New Mexico Maulers 2019 Champion
12-Team, SF, PPR, TEP, 30 player roster, 5 Rd Rookie Draft Starters: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB: Mahomes, Dak, D. Jones, R. Wilson, Stidham
RB: JT, CMC, Breece, R. White, Izz A, L. Murray, McKinnon, LF, Ahmed, Moss
WR: AJB, Sutton, Jeudy, Addison, London, Godwin, Hardman,
TE: Andrews, Friermuth, Ferguson, , Tremble

Draft Picks:
|2024| 1st, 2nd, 4th
|2025| 1, 2, 4, 5

Rocky Mountain Ramblers 2022 Champion
12 Team, SF, PPR, 30 player roster, 5 Rd Rookie Draft | Starters: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, SF
QB: Lamar, TLaw, Dak, Darnold, M. White
RB: CMC, JT, Breece, LF, L. Murray, Ahmed, Mcglauglin, Moss, Mitchell
WR: AJB, Lamb, G. Wilson, DJM, Hopkins, Jeudy, Burks, Kirk,
TE: Pitts, Freiermuth, Dulcich, Jonnu, Johnson
]Draft Picks:
|2024| - 1st, 5th
|2025| 1, 4, 5

SteveVolk
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby SteveVolk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:50 pm

darewood11 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:25 am
SteveVolk wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:17 pm

Lewis is free agent
I know but I am making no assumptions he will leave.

darewood11
All Pro
All Pro

Postby darewood11 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:11 pm

Weber27 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:24 pm Duke Johnson - (Threat of Barkley is the only issue, if no Barkley he will remain a top 15 RB)
Tevin Coleman
Chris Thompson

Devontae Booker
Kenyan Drake - (could be a 1 hit wonder, caution here)
Marlon Mack
Jerick McKinnon - (Whoever brings him in will likely be for 3rd down type committee, but I love the talent)
Tarik Cohen - (Great PPR committee back to own)
Samaje Perine - (Could become a bell cow, worth the dart throw)

CJ Anderson
Jamaal Williams
Aaron Jones
Corey Clement
Gio Bernard - (Mixon is pushing him out, but still effective in PPR)
Matt Breida
Isaiah Crowell
Chris Carson - (Hard to have any faith in Seattle RBs)
Wayne Gallman - (Better RB's will be adde, Perkin and Gallman are just too average to be relevant)

Did anyone see Marlon Mack play last year? If Mack gets to touch the ball 15/20 times a game he could be a real steal at his price, go get him. Obviously depending on what happens to Luck and if they draft a top end RB. But if you haven't go look at his 2017 highlights. The Colts were just invested in the Old man Gore and never really gave Mack a huge opportunity (New Head Coach Frank Reich on the other hand used Rookie Corey Clement well in Philly and Mack is a better RB all around than Clement)

Devontae Booker just needs to stay healthy and Denver will likely part ways with CJA leaving Booker one last opportunity to prove his worth. He has decent draft stock and has really gifted hands and ability catching out the backfield if he can just prove he can run consistently through the tackles. Don't sleep on Booker he has all the tools.

Chris Thompson is another player I moved way up because of Alex Smith, perfect RB receiving options for a guy like Smith. If Thompson can stay healthy he will have Duke Johnson type production mostly coming from the passing game. Also don't sleep on Perine's ability to catch the ball he has natural hands and proved throughout college and last year that he can catch and be effective out of the backfield.

Lastly, I don't know why everyone is so high on Crowell. He looks so average to me and will only be a committee type back will minimal value without an injury occurs. You can make a case in standard leagues but anything .5 PPR or 1 PPR I wouldn't be interested in Crowell.
Mack will not get 15 to 20 touches a game. Imo he's not that type of back and I don't think he will get that chance. Indy will add a back

bsp27
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bsp27 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:25 am

Coleman
Aaron Jones
Duke Johnson
Superflex tight-end premium team:
Qb: Kyler Murray, Dak Presscott, Sam Darnold,
Rb: Derrick Henry, Latavius Murray, Darrell Henderson, Dexter Williams, Brian Hill
Wr: Chris Godwin, Stefon Diggs, Courtland Sutton, DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, Andy Isabella, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Tre'Quan Smith, Daesean Hamilton, Josh Reynolds, Trey Quin, Snead,
Te: TJ Hockensen, Gesicki, Hurst

1 2020 first, 1 2020 2nd, 1 2020 3rd, 1 2020 4th

Devy superflex
Qb: Cousins, Prescott, Lamar Jackson
Rb: Marlon Mack, Tevin Coleman, Rex Burkhead,, Mcguire, Edwards
Wr: Antonio Brown, Amari Cooper, Kenny Golladay, Will Fuller, Tre'quan Smith, John Brown, Carlos Henderson, Josh Malone, Ryan Switzer, Taywan Taylor, Leonte Carroo, Antonio Callaway
Te: David Njoku, O.J. Howard, Mark Andrews,

devy: Deondre Francois, Cam Akers, Bryce Love, Myles Gaskin, Sewo Olonilua, Jalen Reagor, Peoples-Jones, Noah Fant

gameaholica
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gameaholica » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:39 am

Cohen
Brieda
Gallman

Based on potential opportunity.
TheFantasyFootballGuys Dynasty League (13 keeper-PPR)
QB: Mahomes | Stafford | Mayfield
RB: Barkely | Henry | Etienne | Akers | Penny |
WR: Thomas | Bateman | Pittman | Metchie | Shaheed | W. Robinson
TE: Dulcich | Kincaid | Latu
Start: QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-Flex-Flex-K-DEF

Buzz's BBQ Dynasty League(18 keeper-PPR)
QB: J Allen | Stafford |
RB: J.Williams | J Taylor | Mostert | Herbert | Hall | Tucker | Charbonnet
WR: Chase | AJ Brown | Mims | JSN | Metchie | W Robinson
TE: Engram | LaPorta | Pitts | Latu | Ferguson
Start: QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-FLEX-K-DEF

Weber27
Starter
Starter

Postby Weber27 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:51 pm

darewood11 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:11 pm Mack will not get 15 to 20 touches a game. Imo he's not that type of back and I don't think he will get that chance. Indy will add a back
I don't see why not. 15 to 20 touches a game isn't out of the question for Mack. He has proved in college that he can handle that workload. Kamara and Hunt are doing it, why not Mack?

Alvin Kamara is 5'10 214, Kareem Hunt 5'10 216, Marlon Mack 5'11 213. Each of these players are relatively the same size.

Alvin Kamara in college never had more than 103 carries - Mack had 2 years over 200 carries - Kamara did have 30 and 40 reception seasons but mack also had 21, 16, and 28 respectively. Kamara last year with the Saints never had more than 12 carries but averaged about 8 per game and averaged 5/6 receptions a game putting him right at about 12-18 touches per week. Kamara was ultra efficient and in an incredible offensive system so it really propelled him into what some think is top 4/5 Fantasy RB. I don't see why Marlon Mack can't do the same with Andrew Luck (not saying the same as far as numbers and efficiency, but easily the volume) Everyone thought Kamara was never going to be more than a 3rd down pass catching back with minimal volume, yet many are thinking his volume will increase, so I don't know where your supporting argument is that Mack can't handle 15/20 touches (not rushes, total touches) 10-12 carries and 5-8 catches is very possible.

Everyone thinks Kareem Hunt is solidified workhorse, yet his size is very similar to Mack and his college volume was similar to Mack, only having 1 season where he had more carries and only 1 season where he caught more passes out of the backfield then Mack, so why can Hunt be a workhorse, but Mack Cannot? And why can Kamara be a top 5 RB but Marlon mack is no more than a RB2/3 at best...

Lastly, Marlon Mack's 40 yard dash, speed score, burst score and college dominator are all better than Kareem Hunt, And Marlon Mack beats Kamara in both 40 dash, speed score and college dominator as well, though Kamara has a better burst score (ridiculous 93rd percentile) Mack is still in the 71st percentile.
New Mexico Maulers 2019 Champion
12-Team, SF, PPR, TEP, 30 player roster, 5 Rd Rookie Draft Starters: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB: Mahomes, Dak, D. Jones, R. Wilson, Stidham
RB: JT, CMC, Breece, R. White, Izz A, L. Murray, McKinnon, LF, Ahmed, Moss
WR: AJB, Sutton, Jeudy, Addison, London, Godwin, Hardman,
TE: Andrews, Friermuth, Ferguson, , Tremble

Draft Picks:
|2024| 1st, 2nd, 4th
|2025| 1, 2, 4, 5

Rocky Mountain Ramblers 2022 Champion
12 Team, SF, PPR, 30 player roster, 5 Rd Rookie Draft | Starters: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, SF
QB: Lamar, TLaw, Dak, Darnold, M. White
RB: CMC, JT, Breece, LF, L. Murray, Ahmed, Mcglauglin, Moss, Mitchell
WR: AJB, Lamb, G. Wilson, DJM, Hopkins, Jeudy, Burks, Kirk,
TE: Pitts, Freiermuth, Dulcich, Jonnu, Johnson
]Draft Picks:
|2024| - 1st, 5th
|2025| 1, 4, 5