Devin Funchess 2018

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
jmsieglaff
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Devin Funchess 2018

Postby jmsieglaff » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:37 am

Curious to hear what some think of Devin Funchess going forward. With the KB trade in 2017 and with Greg Olsen missing much of the season, Funchess seemed to benefit from a consistent supply of targets and flashed some good games. With Olsen's return, some of those targets evaporated. Overall it seems like Funchess had the opportunity to shine and demonstrate he was the WR1 in Carolina going forward, but I would say failed to convince me that is the case and looks more like a WR2 on a team. To me the possibility of Carolina taking a WR on day 2 of the draft seems somewhat likely. News also broke today the Carolina fired OC and QB coach--so whether that is the cause or a symptom of the players on the field, I'm not sure.

So what do you think about Funchess going forward? I believe his value might be at a peak currently and now [pre draft] is the time to move him.
Dynasty 12-team; 15 roster slots; Keep 10 players--deadline late July--draft late August--1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 FLEX, 1TE, 1K; Generally standard scoring (0.2 ppr)
QB: Rodgers, Brady
RB: L. Bell, M. Ingram, R. Penny, L. Murray, D. Singletary, F. Gore
WR: Nuk, C. Godwin, M. Jones, T. Lockett, E. Sanders, J. Brown
TE: T. Kelce
K: J. Elliott
IR:
2020: 1st, 2nd, 5th
2021: 2-1sts, 3rd, 2-4ths, 5th
2022: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Devin Funchess 2018

Postby lukkynumber13 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:54 am

Honestly I think you kinda nailed it really well with your breakdown. He's proven to be a solid guy, but he's far from special. As much as all the KB haters wanted Funchess to be better than "Fat Kelvin", he's not.

Funchess is a good team's WR2, and honestly, probably a REALLY good team's 3rd recieving option overall.

I would sell if you can get "rising, young, #1 WR" prices for him (top 5-6 pick). If you're only getting offered a late First, I'd definitely keep him however.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

bsacks13
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bsacks13 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:40 pm

I have Funchess and bought into him 3 years ago, it took him till this year to finally do something. If he had speed I would say look out. I just see Carolina upgrading at WR in the offseason, dropping his value. I'm going to try and trade Funchess in the offseason because I have him for dirt cheap with a big Free Agent class coming up in my league. Even if I can get a first next year for him or something like that I am taking it without thinking twice.
Team 1
Behind The Wall Fantasy Football League
10 Team 1pt PPR. Dynasty League Format.
Gotham City Jokers: 2022 0-0
QB: P. Mahomes, K. Cousins
RB: J. Mixon, J.K. Dobbins, B. Hall, J. Taylor, S. Perine, R. Johnson
WR: C. Kupp, M. Pittman, J. Jeudy, M. Thomas, A. Pierce, A. Thielen, J. Hyatt
TE: T. Kelce, E. Engram, L. Musgrave
DST: BUF, LAC

Team 2
Graterford FFL
12 Team. Standard Scoring - Redraft - Up to 2 Keepers - Must have 2 Kickers and 2 DST rostered.
1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DST
Jokers: 2022 0-0
QB: L. Jackson
RB: A. Ekeler, N. Chubb, J. Williams, D. Harris
WR:M. Pittman, D. Smith, M. Brown, E. Moore, J. Hyatt
TE: D. Goedart, C. Kmet, L. Musgrave
K: H. Butker, M. Gay
DST: DAL, NO

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Honestly my cut off point for selling him is probably right around the 1.10. He just doesn't seem to have the upside of most teams WR1s and I feel they'll try and get some speed to complement him and Olsen this offseason, they just haven't been the same since losing Ginn.

jmsieglaff
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby jmsieglaff » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:03 am

Sounds like a lot of us share a similar opinion. I've found thus far in my league, the value isn't there to move him. I've tried for mid and late 2018 1sts--no takers.
Dynasty 12-team; 15 roster slots; Keep 10 players--deadline late July--draft late August--1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 FLEX, 1TE, 1K; Generally standard scoring (0.2 ppr)
QB: Rodgers, Brady
RB: L. Bell, M. Ingram, R. Penny, L. Murray, D. Singletary, F. Gore
WR: Nuk, C. Godwin, M. Jones, T. Lockett, E. Sanders, J. Brown
TE: T. Kelce
K: J. Elliott
IR:
2020: 1st, 2nd, 5th
2021: 2-1sts, 3rd, 2-4ths, 5th
2022: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:30 pm

jmsieglaff wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:03 am Sounds like a lot of us share a similar opinion. I've found thus far in my league, the value isn't there to move him. I've tried for mid and late 2018 1sts--no takers.
I'd hold on to him if you aren't getting anything better than 1.08. I like him more than any 2018 rookie WR besides maybe Washington/Sutton depending where they land in the draft. He's also very young which is helpful for his longterm development.

Most people aren't buying into the hype yet because he's only been the WR1 for the panthers for half a season and he's still learning how to play against #1 corners. Norv Turner likes his big/tall WR1s so I think that helps him out and his value should slowly continue to climb into the 2018 season.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:56 pm

I mentioned the following in a different forum:
I see no reason for you to try and move Funchess at this time. After all you are talking about a WR who is just turning 24, has just had the "normal 3rd year breakout" and was almost a WR1 in a 16 team league (I think he is WR19 in .5 PPR). And all he can bring in is a late 1st at best - and if we are talking late 1st in 16 team thats basically an early 2nd. :wall: :nono:

I believe Funchess was in the late 1st to early 2nd draft range in the 2015 class - and he's actually had a top 24 WR season and owners want to sell at the same price that he would have cost when he first got drafted?

To me thats the easiest way to set yourself back, and/or become a farm team for other owners. I am not going to say Funchess is going to be an elite top 5 WR but who is to say he couldnt put up a top 12 season like Eric Decker, Marvin Jones, Emmanuel Sanders etc. At the very least he should be a solid WR3 for a 16 team roster where (I assume) you can roll out 4-5 WR (with flex spots). Olsen is getting older, the Panthers offense is improving and WRs that could have blocked Funchess are gone (Benjamin & Ginn).

Obviously every year we have rookies in the later half of the 1st, early 2nd, that will breakout - but you also, even in the 2017 class, will have those that start out rough so I see it at best a 50/50 proposition to get a player who is where Funchess is now.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:12 pm

If an owner bought a Funchess share cheaply - and you are not a believer or a fan - then if you can sell at a late 1st, at best, then that is still a profit, and I dont think you should have any regrets.

However, if you drafted Funchess, or dont have much depth at WR, then I definitely concur with the owners above who mentioned 1.08 or better.

Like I mentioned - even if you do not feel Funchess is a bona fide WR1, a WR2 can still have a low end WR1 season like a Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, etc. There isnt anything too negative about his current situation - Olsen is going to be 33, and best case scenario will be entering his Jason Witten phase - or maybe it will be Antonio Gates (often injured) phase. Sure they will draft/acquire new WR (but what team doesnt?) but they will have to develop just like Funchess already has and build chemistry with Newton like Funchess already has. And like already mentioned, Funchess fits the profile of the WR that Norv Turner likes.

Seems to me Funchess is a young (only turns 24 this year), slowly improving WR - and while his ceiling isnt sky high - at least he has show a WR2/3 benchmark and is in a situation where he can repeat it for a couple of more years at minimum.

If you are loaded at WR and need draft picks, or bought at a discount - then sure go ahead and sell at the price the market is willing to bear - but otherwise I see no reason to sell low when the chances are good his value and/or production could likely improve.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

homer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby homer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:14 pm

They drafted Curtis Samuel last year for their other WR. He hurt himself early, but I think he will be good. I am sure they will draft another but not until after 3rd round

NumberKruncher
Rookie
Rookie

Postby NumberKruncher » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:55 am

I would not do a 1st rounder for him. Just don't see him as a top WR 2 more low end 3 and replaceable.
12 Team ppr (1.5 ppr for Te's) 20 man rosters post season cut to 16 (14 players + D + K
Starts 1qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, 2 flex (rb wr te), 1 te and one K and one D
QB Winston
RB Zeke, Ware, Yeldon,
WR OBJ, Jordy Nelson, D. Thomas, Alshon, Pryor, Cam Meredith, Tyler Boyd, Malcolm Mitchell
TE Delaine Walker Austin Hooper

SteveVolk
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby SteveVolk » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:24 pm

I gotta admit, I just do not trust Funchess. I have a hard time seeing him being reliable, year to year, and in a rich draft like this I'd move him for a first.

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:31 am

I don't trust him either. SELL SELL SELL

ajpmn01
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ajpmn01 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:44 pm

I sold Funchess and an early 2nd to the eventual SB winner for Arob and a mid 3 in late November. I'm happy with what I got for him.

keebs3
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby keebs3 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:01 pm

I think this is the perfect time to sell.

People were pretty down no Funchess last summer- this is a complete 180 how he's being treated now. I think he probably ends up somewhere in the middle- WR2/WR3 that will have some big games here and there.

It will be interesting to see who Carolina brings in during the draft. I bet we see a big name head that way to challenge Funchess in 2018.

Or I could just be upset that I dropped him in week 2 last season...
The Usurpers-10 team-.5PPR-1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX
Adopted/Rebuilt 2016-2017 | 2018 Runner up

QB: Deshaun Watson -Cam Newton | Baker Mayfield | Daniel Jones
RB: Saquon Barkley | David Johnson -Breida | Duke | Armstead | D. Harris | J. Samuels
WR: DeAndre Hopkins | Keenan Allen | Stefon Diggs -Christian Kirk | JJAW | James Washington | Hurd
TE: Hunter Henry -Austin Hooper | Irv Smith Jr.

Warriors of the Scarlet Eye-10 team-PPR-Best Ball League-2QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLEX
Est. 2017 | 2018 League Champion :trophy: | 2019 Runner up

QB: Russell Wilson | Baker Mayfield -Carson Wentz
RB: Joe Mixon | Dalvin Cook | Nick Chubb -Mark Ingram | Royce Freeman | Justice Hill | Matt Breida | Bernard | Jonathan Williams
WR: Davante Adams | Mike Evans | Julio Jones -Sammy Watkins | John Brown | DeVante Parker | Deebo Samuel | Nelson Agholor | Terry McLaurin
TE: Evan Engram -Hunter Henry | Ian Thomas | Jacob Hollister

Toprank
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Toprank » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:25 pm

Just traded my 1.12 for him in a superflex. I have 1.08 and 1.09...so I figured I would take the known quantity with Funchess for my 1.12.