Josh Gordon has been the best, can be the best once again

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Re: Josh Gordon has been the best, can be the best once again

Postby hjernazian » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:32 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:12 am
hjernazian wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:38 am All jokes aside - and they have been great - let me offer my 2 cents.

I am clinical Psychologist by trade - specializing in sports psychology and have worked with several D1-D3 college athletes over the years in my time at a university, here in southern CA - nope, not USC or UCLA.

I have accurately assessed (not through treatment but my analysis) guys like Ricky Williams, Randy Moss, Hardy, M. Bryant and my most recent project of analysis - J. Winston: whom I believe is only a matter of time before his mental state > his physical giftedness.

Josh Gordon is a definite buy in my eyes. I base this on the doc's that I've seen on him, interviews I've read, his personal narrative, his physical ability and mental state. He fits the profile of your classic addiction ridden high functioning individual that's hit rock bottom, and gotten away with any and everything along the way, and now benefits from insight into his ailments. I believe he is at a place where most reach and do not have a second chance. He does, and he is approaching it the right way.

Simply put: He's tired of the addiction, has taken care of his body - recently - extremely well, and from the footage I've seen - may be in a better physical state than ever. His mental state is also still very formative, but still very much threading toward the positive.

Do I think he presents a risk? Absolutely. Do I think the odds are in his favor? Absolutely. Is the potential for relapse almost guaranteed for anyone in his position? Absolutely, and one slip means he can never play football again.

I wouldn't go crazy and offer up a superstar for him, but I continue to try to pry him from an owner in our league at a significant price, and he won't budge because he feels I know something he doesn't, which is his psychological state. I wouldn't expect him to immediately start to blow up once hitting the field (why I think he's a sell in redraft this year), but he will slowly and surely head in that direction, which is the natural order of things when substances are removed.
This is a very reasonable take and I appreciate the grounds from which you make your argument!
You are very welcome. His psychological profile intrigues me - and as a football fan watching him train and speak on film does nothing but reinforce my faith in him. Again, addicts will be addicts and relapse, it's virtually inevitable, but he makes a strong case and is worth the risk IMO. I wouldn't offer a first for him, but I did offer a high second with a combo of some prospects and was quickly denied. If you're going to move on him, don't wait until he actually plays a game, I believe even on the Browns, he will dazzle.
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

QB: P. Mahomes $5, C. Newton $20, B. Mayfield $2, D. Brees
RB: D. Johnson $54, N. Chubb $4, T. Coleman $4, D. Henry $14, I. Crowell $3, J. Richard $9, J. Adams $3
WR: A. Robinson $41, T.Y. Hilton $24, J. Landry $25, C. Davis $4, C. Godwin $4, D. Hamilton $3, K. Cole, S. Shephard $10
TE: E. Engram $4, D. Njoku $2, K. Rudolph $3, V. McDonald $4
K/DEF: Irrelevant

2019: 2.04, 2.05, 2.06, 3.06, 4.06

Team 2

Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE - 25 man roster + 4 TAXI

QB: T. Brady, M. Ryan, N. Foles
RB: K. Hunt, C. McCaffrey, D. Johnson, T. Coleman, S. Ware, D. Williams, Ito Smith, D. Sproles
WR: AJ Green, A. Robinson, A. Thielen, E. Sanders, G. Tate, S. Roberts
TE: J. Reed, J. Butt, M. Roberts, V. Davis, M. Williams
TAXI: S. Darnold, D. Fountain, D. Cain, Jaleel Scott

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:23 pm

I haven't been this excited since last year just before he bailed on me again :wall: . I've said it before but I traded an injured julio about 4ish years ago for Gordon to win the ship and it has haunted me till this day (would have won without him anyway combo of green Demarco and J Charles) but if I can get at least wr2 stats out if him by the finals I'll be happy. Just want to see him out there!!!

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:08 am

Of course he's saying all the right things.

All that time off is hard to come back from. Plexico lost 2 if not 3 three steps after his two year stint away.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:05 pm

hjernazian wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:32 am
lukkynumber13 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:12 am
hjernazian wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:38 am All jokes aside - and they have been great - let me offer my 2 cents.

I am clinical Psychologist by trade - specializing in sports psychology and have worked with several D1-D3 college athletes over the years in my time at a university, here in southern CA - nope, not USC or UCLA.

I have accurately assessed (not through treatment but my analysis) guys like Ricky Williams, Randy Moss, Hardy, M. Bryant and my most recent project of analysis - J. Winston: whom I believe is only a matter of time before his mental state > his physical giftedness.

Josh Gordon is a definite buy in my eyes. I base this on the doc's that I've seen on him, interviews I've read, his personal narrative, his physical ability and mental state. He fits the profile of your classic addiction ridden high functioning individual that's hit rock bottom, and gotten away with any and everything along the way, and now benefits from insight into his ailments. I believe he is at a place where most reach and do not have a second chance. He does, and he is approaching it the right way.

Simply put: He's tired of the addiction, has taken care of his body - recently - extremely well, and from the footage I've seen - may be in a better physical state than ever. His mental state is also still very formative, but still very much threading toward the positive.

Do I think he presents a risk? Absolutely. Do I think the odds are in his favor? Absolutely. Is the potential for relapse almost guaranteed for anyone in his position? Absolutely, and one slip means he can never play football again.

I wouldn't go crazy and offer up a superstar for him, but I continue to try to pry him from an owner in our league at a significant price, and he won't budge because he feels I know something he doesn't, which is his psychological state. I wouldn't expect him to immediately start to blow up once hitting the field (why I think he's a sell in redraft this year), but he will slowly and surely head in that direction, which is the natural order of things when substances are removed.
This is a very reasonable take and I appreciate the grounds from which you make your argument!
You are very welcome. His psychological profile intrigues me - and as a football fan watching him train and speak on film does nothing but reinforce my faith in him. Again, addicts will be addicts and relapse, it's virtually inevitable, but he makes a strong case and is worth the risk IMO. I wouldn't offer a first for him, but I did offer a high second with a combo of some prospects and was quickly denied. If you're going to move on him, don't wait until he actually plays a game, I believe even on the Browns, he will dazzle.
I'm having a hard time following this logic. You call him an addict and are convinced that he'll "inevatibly relapse," and yet you think he's worth the risk in investing in? I too have worked with many addicts, and everyone single one of them have made "strong cases" that they won't relapse. Unfortunately, very few stay sober. This isn't the first time Gordon's said the right things and made the effort. This also isn't the first time he's hit rock bottom. Getting kicked out of college and the possibility of not getting drafted was probably rock bottom too. He also kept himself in shape after all his other suspensions too, so him being in great shape shouldn't surprise anyone. The only difference this time is that there's a documentary. That doesn't really change my opinion of the situation. I actually feel badly for him because I think Goodell wanted to make an example out of him a few years ago and got a raw deal, but we can't go back and change any of that. I'm rooting for the guy, but I'll be doing it with him on someone else's roster.

1coldone
Starter
Starter

Postby 1coldone » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:50 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:35 pm AGREED!

Also, watch out for Ray Rice and Peyton Manning, possibly coming out of retirement and will be BALLERS down the stretch. They were elite studs back in 2012, so... watch out!

lol, how OLD are those two???

FantasyFreakGuru
Starter
Starter

Postby FantasyFreakGuru » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:18 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:08 am Of course he's saying all the right things.

All that time off is hard to come back from. Plexico lost 2 if not 3 three steps after his two year stint away.
wasnt that after he shot himself in the leg.....
12 team league (Year One) Updated Week 14 2018 Season
DYNASTY GIANTS - 1pt PPR League Qb, Rb, Rb, Wr, Wr, Te, Flex (WR/RB/TE) K, D
Team Name: Keep It Green

QB-Cam Newton, Marcus Mariota
RB- Christian McCaffrey, Aaron Jones, Tarik Cohen, Adrian Peterson, Peyton Barber
WR- Keenan Allen, Tyreek Hill, Doug Baldwin, Nelson Agholor, Marvin Jones, Dede Westbrook, John Brown, Taywan Taylor
TE-Austin Hooper, Jimmy Graham, Ian Thomas
K&DEF- Matchup Stream Weekly
2019 pick Early 2nd, Late 2nd, Late 3rd, Late 4th
------------------------------------