Julio vs. AJG value disparity

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Julio vs. AJG value disparity

Postby Vcize » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:28 pm

I am noticing a fairly significant disparity in the value of Julio vs. AJG around the dynasty landscape. Namely, Julio seems to be valued a lot higher, and I'm not sure that he should be.

Granted in an injury shortened season, discounting the game where he got injured in the 1st quarter last year AJG was the #1 WR in FF last year in PPG. Julio was #5.

So far this year, AJG is WR5 while Julio is WR20.

There is only a 7 month age difference between the two, yet Julio seems to claim significantly more value. Granted Julio did have a monster season a few years ago, but part of Matt Ryan's maturation into an elite QB has been that he spreads the ball around a lot more and I don't really see a scenario where he force feeds Julio 200+ targets occurring again. He had 133 last year in Ryan's career year and is on pace for 138 this year.

As far as upside, it seems like AJG is the guy to have there while also being the better producer of the two over the last two years as well. As I mentioned he was WR1 last year when he got hurt, and this year he is WR5 despite the Bengals playing absolutely horridly in their first 2 games. If he's outperforming Julio when Dalton is playing like he did in weeks 1 and 2, imagine what he will do if Dalton starts playing decently.

It just seems odd to me that Julio's perceived value seems to be not only higher, but quite a bit higher, despite there being very compelling arguments that he should be valued less than AJG, maybe even significantly so. Matt Ryan is never going to put up the efficiency numbers he did last year again, so if the targets don't increase significantly for Julio (which they don't appear to be at all) there seems nowhere to go but down from the spot where he was already behind AJG.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Hahaclintondix
Starter
Starter

Re: Julio vs. AJG value disparity

Postby Hahaclintondix » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:30 am

I don't really disagree with anything that you said. I think the value difference stems from Ryan vs. Dalton as you sort of mentioned. Could also be the fact that Julio has that one absolutely monster season that still sticks in owners heads. Here were the two trades that just went down in my league involving both players:

Team A gives: Ty Montgomery, Eifert, 2 mid 2018 1sts
Team B gives Julio Jones, 2018 2nd (mid)

Team A gives: Brandin Cooks, Crowder, late 2018 1st (likely 1.08-1.12), 2019 3rd
Team B gives: AJ, Delanie Walker, early 2018 2nd (likely 2.01-2.02)

Both are pretty fair-ish, but in my opinion Julio went for a cheaper price.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:05 am

I think AJG being banged up last year and missing games hurt some of his value, but I agree, they should be basically equal.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:17 pm

Yeah to me Julio, AJG and AB should all be valued similarly due to similar age, usage and IMO skill level. I'd personally rank Dez along with them if he can get past these recent injuries and lack of production

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:36 pm

Goddard wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:05 am I think AJG being banged up last year and missing games hurt some of his value, but I agree, they should be basically equal.
x2
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:34 pm

This is the reason I sold Julio in the league where I own both but not AJG.