Jamaal Williams vs Aaron Jones

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Jamaal Williams vs Aaron Jones

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:39 pm

"Aaron Jones looks better to me. He looks like a young Eddie Lacy out there. "

He looks like a young Eddie Lacy. alright. Like a 15 year old Eddie Lacy. When was the last time Lacy was under 210 pounds? LOL. Jones looked explosive, but I really feel it will be a committee approach. He is also facing a possible suspension, so there's that, too.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:36 am

0LDMAN wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:27 pm
Titans95 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:36 am I like Jones more than Williams but I think a lot of people are discounting Montgomery, I think he role is more secure than both of them. He'll handle the bulk of Receptions and probably get 10ish carries a game. He was doing extremely well before he got hurt. I think the packers will try to make it a committee with Montgomery being the more prominent back.
I doubt it. They didn't draft three RBs because they were happy with Montgomery. He's a scat back, who obviously can't handle all those touches. JWill or AJones will win out the most prominent role.
Just hopped on roto world and saw this. Not huge news or anything but jsut reaffirmed my personal opinion that people shouldnt count Montgomery out just yet! :thumbup:

ESPN's Rob Demovsky writes Ty Montgomery appears set for a "significant role in the offense."
Demovsky added Montgomery "didn't appear to lose any ground" to Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones during OTAs. "We have to take advantage of Ty's skills, and there's no question about that," coach Mike McCarthy said. "The offense is suited for that." While it still seems more likely Williams or Jones wins the early-down role, Montgomery is clearly not going away. He could end up being a value in the double-digit rounds.?

TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Postby TheRookiePro » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:53 pm

Well it appears that Montgomery will work with the 1st team at the start of training camp. However, most of the fantasy community has written Montgomery off--for example, this thread title--because of his injuries and modest success at RB. Montgomery is very talented and he's a bright guy from Stanford, it's easy to see why coaches still holdout hope for him.

This is definitely one of the more interesting camp battles for fantasy this year.
10 Team PPR, 25 man roster(1st and 2nd year player PS option for $20), QB, 2 RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX (RB,WR,TE), K, DEF.

QB-Luck, A. Smith, Fitzpatrick
RB-Gurley, M. Gordon, Jeff Wilson, Tevin Coleman,T. Montgomery, John Kelly, Justin Davis
WR-K. Allen, T. Hill, Josh Gordon, Golladay, Fitzgerald, S. Watkins, J. Reynolds, Enunwa,
TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski
Defense-Vikings, Jaguars, Ravens

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:56 pm

TheRookiePro wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:53 pm Well it appears that Montgomery will work with the 1st team at the start of training camp. However, most of the fantasy community has written Montgomery off--for example, this thread title--because of his injuries and modest success at RB. Montgomery is very talented and he's a bright guy from Stanford, it's easy to see why coaches still holdout hope for him.

This is definitely one of the more interesting camp battles for fantasy this year.
Exactly, and he didn't blow anyone away from his running success but he had people in a frenzy this time last year, to start the year off he was putting up very very solid numbers before getting hurt. I do think they need to limit his touches but if he gets all the receiving work and rushes 175-200 in that greenbay offense I could see RB2 numbers.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 am

Titans95 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:56 pm
TheRookiePro wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:53 pm Well it appears that Montgomery will work with the 1st team at the start of training camp. However, most of the fantasy community has written Montgomery off--for example, this thread title--because of his injuries and modest success at RB. Montgomery is very talented and he's a bright guy from Stanford, it's easy to see why coaches still holdout hope for him.

Exactly, and he didn't blow anyone away from his running success but he had people in a frenzy this time last year, to start the year off he was putting up very very solid numbers before getting hurt. I do think they need to limit his touches but if he gets all the receiving work and rushes 175-200 in that greenbay offense I could see RB2 numbers.

If you think Montgomery is getting all the receiving work AND 200 rushes, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Great deal, just send me your full name, social security number, bank account numbers, and we can get this deal going!

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:59 am

0LDMAN wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 am

If you think Montgomery is getting all the receiving work AND 200 rushes, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Great deal, just send me your full name, social security number, bank account numbers, and we can get this deal going!
I don't think that but its more likely that he sees more touches than Jones or Williams, Williams was extremely inefficient and Jones is more than likely to be suspended to start the year, he was a WR in college and to start in the nfl and was primarily a slot receiver so he's by far the best receiving option out of the backfield....If he gets 40% of the rushing attempts in greenbay thats around 130 carries which isn't even projecting him to be the main rusher just he complimentary back. I agree I think 200 carries is a very aggressive number to project. Either way everyone had their panties in a wad this time last your for Montgomery and people are just writing him off now but he didn't under perform at all he just got hurt. I'd rather take my chances on Montgomery than either of these two guys because I know he will have a role, either Jones or Williams will not.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Titans95 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:59 am

I don't think that but its more likely that he sees more touches than Jones or Williams, Williams was extremely inefficient and Jones is more than likely to be suspended to start the year, he was a WR in college and to start in the nfl and was primarily a slot receiver so he's by far the best receiving option out of the backfield....If he gets 40% of the rushing attempts in greenbay thats around 130 carries which isn't even projecting him to be the main rusher just he complimentary back. I agree I think 200 carries is a very aggressive number to project. Either way everyone had their panties in a wad this time last your for Montgomery and people are just writing him off now but he didn't under perform at all he just got hurt. I'd rather take my chances on Montgomery than either of these two guys because I know he will have a role, either Jones or Williams will not.
A lot of what will happen next year is debatable, but Ty Mont's 2017 performance was not impressive. His receiving was good, but even facing a light front over 60% of the time, his overall YPC was still just 3.8, good for just 45th in the league.
His stats against normal DEF fronts and stacked DEF fronts are among the worst in the NFL. In 2016 his "good" year, rushing against normal/stacked DEF fronts he was averaging LESS than 1 YPC. That was 80th in the league as a rusher, which means on average a team had 2-3 running backs better than him.
Ty Mont is a great receiver but an atrociously bad running back. J Will or Aaron Jones (or a combination of the two) will be leading that backfield in rushes. Barring injury to the top 2 I'd bet Tymont actually gets the least carries of the group. I'd bet Ty Mont gets 60-100 rushes, and ~60 targets.

Triton85
Captain
Captain

Postby Triton85 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:00 am

I was just kicking around this debate with a friend and wanted to point out a few things that came up

Aaron Jones - 5.5 yard per attempt (JWill 3.6)

However... Jones got the bulk of his work in weeks 4 through 7 before a week 9 that he wasn't involved (TY) and week 10 injury. Williams stepped in from weeks 10-17 and served as the bell cow for the team.

My friend (a jones owner) was trying to say how much better Jones was, but what I pointed out was the impact that Aaron Rodgers would have on a running back's production - rodgers was injured early in week 6. Week 7 Jones exploded for a fantastic game, but then had been hit/miss prior to that anyways. I personally think having Rodgers as a qb prevented teams from stacking the box, but with Williams he was going into every game as the main offensive weapon, and therefore was game planned against.

Just an interesting twist to consider when you are kicking around Williams vs Jones

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:44 am

0LDMAN wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:39 pm
Titans95 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:59 am

A lot of what will happen next year is debatable, but Ty Mont's 2017 performance was not impressive. His receiving was good, but even facing a light front over 60% of the time, his overall YPC was still just 3.8, good for just 45th in the league.
His stats against normal DEF fronts and stacked DEF fronts are among the worst in the NFL. In 2016 his "good" year, rushing against normal/stacked DEF fronts he was averaging LESS than 1 YPC. That was 80th in the league as a rusher, which means on average a team had 2-3 running backs better than him.
Ty Mont is a great receiver but an atrociously bad running back. J Will or Aaron Jones (or a combination of the two) will be leading that backfield in rushes. Barring injury to the top 2 I'd bet Tymont actually gets the least carries of the group. I'd bet Ty Mont gets 60-100 rushes, and ~60 targets.
Your argument is a good one, I think I got a little carried away with my point I was trying to make, between Aaron Jones and Williams one of them will be the primary back in Greenbay but the other will be a 3rd string behind Ty, like you said he's a fantastic receiver out of the backfield and interestingly Aaron Jones who I thought would be the better receiver between him and Williams was actually not that effective as a receiver. I guess my point being Aaron Jones and Williams may have more upside but their risk is also greater compared to Ty who is wayyyyy more likely to have a very real role in the offense and you can get him for a 1/3 of the price either Jones or Williams is going for

TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Postby TheRookiePro » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:58 pm

Tough schedule for Williams early-on and the game script last week didn't help him much either. But an opportunity is an opportunity, and he hasn't proven anything. Jones is up next.
10 Team PPR, 25 man roster(1st and 2nd year player PS option for $20), QB, 2 RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX (RB,WR,TE), K, DEF.

QB-Luck, A. Smith, Fitzpatrick
RB-Gurley, M. Gordon, Jeff Wilson, Tevin Coleman,T. Montgomery, John Kelly, Justin Davis
WR-K. Allen, T. Hill, Josh Gordon, Golladay, Fitzgerald, S. Watkins, J. Reynolds, Enunwa,
TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski
Defense-Vikings, Jaguars, Ravens

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:27 pm

Jones is going to take this job and not give it back. I was a Jamaal truther coming out of college, but the guy while well-rounded, is not special. Aaron Jones has a chance to be something special in that offense.
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Kupp, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:52 pm

Aaron Rodgers has a bum knee. Williams is by far the best in pass protection. If I had to guess they keep Williams. He hasn't been spectacular but he has been serviceable

BucFanJKE
Captain
Captain

Postby BucFanJKE » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:10 am

Titans95 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:52 pm Aaron Rodgers has a bum knee. Williams is by far the best in pass protection. If I had to guess they keep Williams. He hasn't been spectacular but he has been serviceable
An offensive lineman is pretty good in pass protection too. Just toss a guard back there instead of williams if all they care about is pass protection.

I'm being a little extra obviously. But a good run game takes pressure off the pass rush. So Jones just by being the dynamic runner he is can help keep Rodgers off the dirt.
Team 1-
SF .5 PPR TE Prem (1Q, 1SF, 2R, 2W, 1T, 3WRT)
QB- Watson, Dak, Richardson, Bennett, Zappe
RB- Javonte Williams, JHill, Dobbins, Achane, Gibson, Bigsby, Spears, Gainwell, Fournette, CPatt
WR- Chase, Lamb, London, Pittman, MT, QJ, Bateman, Jamo, OBJ, Skyy
TE- Freiermuth, Kincaid, Chig, Fant, Musgrave, Woods, Bellinger
2024: 1st, 2nd, 4th

Team 2-
.5 PPR TE Prem (1Q, 2 R, 3W, 1 T, 3 WRT)
QB: J. Allen, Kyler, Stroud
RB: CMC, Bijan, Gibbs, JT, Breece Hall, Kamara, Gibson, 4nette
WR: Diggs, Hill, AJB, Aiyuk, London, JSN, Hollywood, M.Mims, Meyers, Shaheed
TE: Kelce, Kyle Pitts, Dulcich, Logan Thomas
2024: 2 1st (one top 3), 4th

Team 3- (Adopted Dumpster Orphan)
.5 PPR TE Prem (1Q, 2 R, 3W, 1 T, 3 WRT)
QB: J. Allen, Dak, Young
RB: Gibbs, Hall, J. Cook, Warren, Bigsby, K. Mitchell, Dobbins, D. Cook,
WR: Lamb, Wilson, Olave, Higgins, London, JSN, Bateman, Wan'Dale, Z. Jones, Hyatt
TE: Kittle, Kincaid, Woods, Likely
2024: 2 1st (one top 2), 3rd, 4th

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:35 am

BucFanJKE wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:10 am
Titans95 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:52 pm Aaron Rodgers has a bum knee. Williams is by far the best in pass protection. If I had to guess they keep Williams. He hasn't been spectacular but he has been serviceable
An offensive lineman is pretty good in pass protection too. Just toss a guard back there instead of williams if all they care about is pass protection.

I'm being a little extra obviously. But a good run game takes pressure off the pass rush. So Jones just by being the dynamic runner he is can help keep Rodgers off the dirt.
Not convinced Jones is that much more dynamic than Williams. Had a pretty limited showing and wasn't featured when he came back, he's been gone from the team for 2 weeks and hasn't been running with the 1st team offense much this preseason. Obviously time will tell and we don't have to wait long.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:23 am

Titans95 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:35 am
BucFanJKE wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:10 am

Not convinced Jones is that much more dynamic than Williams. Had a pretty limited showing and wasn't featured when he came back, he's been gone from the team for 2 weeks and hasn't been running with the 1st team offense much this preseason. Obviously time will tell and we don't have to wait long.
At this point an O-lineman might be more dynamic than Williams. Jones has impressed each opportunity, Williams has done nothing but plod along and people bought into him because of his volume last season. It's becoming clear that he's not the guy, he's Just A Guy.

Is Jones the guy? That remains to be seen, but it's obvious JWill is not.