Samuel v Godwin v Zay Jones

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Pick your favorite Rookie WR

Zay Jones
43%
Curtis Samuel
15%
Chris Godwin
43%

Total votes: 61

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Samuel v Godwin v Zay Jones

Postby remedy29 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:28 am

How much of a boost does Zay Jones get now after the Watkins trade? Zay Jones value was already high with the potential he becomes the number 1 WR by 2018. He hasn't even played a game and that potential situation has already occurred.

I think Zay Jones is now a solid late 1st draft pick.

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:52 am

remedy29 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:28 am How much of a boost does Zay Jones get now after the Watkins trade? Zay Jones value was already high with the potential he becomes the number 1 WR by 2018. He hasn't even played a game and that potential situation has already occurred.

He gets a slight boost for me, but the Matthews acquisition keeps him in the same tier.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:37 pm

drbuttermaker wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:52 am
remedy29 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:28 am How much of a boost does Zay Jones get now after the Watkins trade? Zay Jones value was already high with the potential he becomes the number 1 WR by 2018. He hasn't even played a game and that potential situation has already occurred.

He gets a slight boost for me, but the Matthews acquisition keeps him in the same tier.
But Mathews is a proven replaceable WR. Zay Jones "may" be no better, but at least he hasn't proven to be easily replaceable.

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:59 am

drbuttermaker wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:50 pm
Defender wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:06 am If Hackenberg hadn't sucked so much for Godwin's first couple years
Hackenberg did not suck. He was a hammer being asked to tighten a screw. There is a big difference.
Care to elaborate on this analogy?
The standard is the standard.

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:47 pm

Defender wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:59 am
Defender wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:06 am If Hackenberg hadn't sucked so much for Godwin's first couple years
Hackenberg did not suck. He was a hammer being asked to tighten a screw. There is a big difference.
Sure. Hack was recruited to run Bill O'Brien's offense, and he did a great job his Freshman year.

Then James Franklin comes in with a system that requires a quarterback with a completely different skill set, yet barely alters it to play to Hack's strengths. This led to things like an inexplicably countless number of read-option plays out of the shotgun. These plays had a predictably low rate of success.

That is just one example of many. There is a reason Hackenberg thanked almost literally everyone in the program except Franklin when he announced he was leaving.

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:33 pm

drbuttermaker wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:47 pm
Defender wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:59 am

Sure. Hack was recruited to run Bill O'Brien's offense, and he did a great job his Freshman year.

Then James Franklin comes in with a system that requires a quarterback with a completely different skill set, yet barely alters it to play to Hack's strengths. This led to things like an inexplicably countless number of read-option plays out of the shotgun. These plays had a predictably low rate of success.

That is just one example of many. There is a reason Hackenberg thanked almost literally everyone in the program except Franklin when he announced he was leaving.
I see your stance on this, but it was my understanding that Franklin ran so many plays out of the shot gun to try to mask some of the OLine deficiencies. While I think Franklin likes the shotgun, I think the disparity was mostly by necessity as opposed to him not caring what his QB is comfortable with.
The standard is the standard.

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:34 pm

Defender wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:33 pm I see your stance on this, but it was my understanding that Franklin ran so many plays out of the shot gun to try to mask some of the OLine deficiencies. While I think Franklin likes the shotgun, I think the disparity was mostly by necessity as opposed to him not caring what his QB is comfortable with.
That is absolutely part of the equation, as is Franklin's insistence on redshirting his best linemen.

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:09 pm

Maaatt wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:03 pm
rubber_duck wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:37 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:06 am Jones is incredibly overrated around here. He has short area quickness and not much else. He's Kendall Wright / Eddie Royal.

Samuel is too gimmicky for my liking. They don't translate to FF.

Godwin may not have a high ceiling but he should be a very solid WR. He's my pick here.
We agree on this.
Godwin would be my pick of these three. He falls in my rankings only because of his hands. He is able to get into position for very tough catches but just can't seem to actually bring them in very often.

Zay Jones superficially reminded me of Boyd from last year, but not nearly as good. Same as Godwin, Zay doesn't have great hands. Same as Boyd, he gets tackled at first contact.

As for Samuel, well ... just not that impressed.
What do you mean Godwin can get into position for tough catches but can't bring them in?!?!?! He has an 85.7% contested catch conversion rate. Last time I checked that involves a lot of catching. Godwin all the way.
85.7% contested catch conversion rate? That is truly incredible. Most WRs catch a total of only 60% of their targets and that is including the uncontested ones.

I don't put much stock in "advanced analytics" such as this one, and rely more on what I see in film. A similar advanced analytic tried to say that Treadwell was "open" on a high percentage of his routes as a college player. I watched a lot of film and he wasn't open, but he was good at contested catches.

Anyway, it doesn't seem we are disagreeing about Godwin being at the top of this list.

btaylor383
Rookie
Rookie

Postby btaylor383 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:21 pm

A lot has to break right for Samuel to be a reliable asset
12 team, .5ppr, 6pt QB TD, 22 man roster

QB - Russell Wilson, Eli Manning, DeShone Kizer
RB - Derrick Henry, CJ Prosise, Chris Thompson, Marlon Mack, De'Angelo Henderson, Jeremy McNichols
WR - Amari Cooper, Corey Davis, Jeremy Maclin, Josh Doctson, Chris Conley, Quincy Enunwa, Curtis Samuel, Laquon Treadwell, Leonte Carroo, Chris Godwin, Jeff Janis, Chad Williams,
TE - Jack Doyle, David Njoku, Tyler Higbee
2 2018 1st, 2018 2nd, 2018 3rd, 2 2019 1st, 2019 2nd, 2019 3rd

12 team, .5ppr, Superflex, 25 man roster

QB - Russell Wilson, Andy Dalton, Tyrod Taylor, AJ McCarron
RB - Todd Gurley, LeSean McCoy, Danny Woodhead, Ameer Abdullah, Jeremy McNichols
WR -Antonio Brown, Adam Thielen, Dez Bryant, Michael Crabtree, Golden Tate, Chris Godwin, Pierre Garcon, Quincy Enunwa
TE - Jimmy Graham, ASJ, Jason Witten
2018 1.05

albedo1986
Role Player
Role Player

Postby albedo1986 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:07 pm

Wouldn't get closed to touching him there. But I hope he does go there, so I can keep getting the players I want lol. I'm picturing Zay Jones attempting to line up against the real deal CBs out there. Good luck bro! He better stick to 2yard slants.