Samuel v Godwin v Zay Jones

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Pick your favorite Rookie WR

Zay Jones
43%
Curtis Samuel
15%
Chris Godwin
43%

Total votes: 61

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Samuel v Godwin v Zay Jones

Postby jcc6fd » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:22 pm

These three rookies are being taken back-to-back-to-back fairly consistently across dynasty rankings. How would you rank them?

I want to take Godwin out of the three but I'm getting hung up on draft pedigree and potential for early career impact.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Samuel v Godwin v Zay Jones

Postby IBall2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:14 am

In PPR format I like Zay, he has shown he can handle a large workload in college but he doesn't stretch the field. Samuel is still a big question mark because we don't know how Carolina will use him and he's similar to McCaffrey. Godwin is interesting because he has the measurables to be great but he is buried on the depth chart at the moment. Longterm I still prefer Zay though because he has a clearer path to playing time and almost as good measurables as Godwin.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:06 am

Jones is incredibly overrated around here. He has short area quickness and not much else. He's Kendall Wright / Eddie Royal.

Samuel is too gimmicky for my liking. They don't translate to FF.

Godwin may not have a high ceiling but he should be a very solid WR. He's my pick here.

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby RightlegTucker » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:36 am

Nice to see the Chris Godwin love so far, I'm really high on him too. I have Samuel slightly above him though.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:55 am

Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:06 am Jones is incredibly overrated around here. He has short area quickness and not much else. He's Kendall Wright / Eddie Royal.

Godwin may not have a high ceiling but he should be a very solid WR. He's my pick here.
I've heard both those narrative about Jones and Samuel and am inclined to agree. However, this is literally the first time I've heard anyone say Godwin has a "low ceiling." I've heard the exact opposite in that you'll have to wait on Godwin but that he's a high ceiling prospect.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Godwin then Jones not too far behind. I wouldn't put Samuel in the same tier.

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:37 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:06 am Jones is incredibly overrated around here. He has short area quickness and not much else. He's Kendall Wright / Eddie Royal.

We agree on this.
Godwin would be my pick of these three. He falls in my rankings only because of his hands. He is able to get into position for very tough catches but just can't seem to actually bring them in very often.

Zay Jones superficially reminded me of Boyd from last year, but not nearly as good. Same as Godwin, Zay doesn't have great hands. Same as Boyd, he gets tackled at first contact.

As for Samuel, well ... just not that impressed.

Maaatt
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Maaatt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:03 pm

rubber_duck wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:37 pm

We agree on this.
Godwin would be my pick of these three. He falls in my rankings only because of his hands. He is able to get into position for very tough catches but just can't seem to actually bring them in very often.

Zay Jones superficially reminded me of Boyd from last year, but not nearly as good. Same as Godwin, Zay doesn't have great hands. Same as Boyd, he gets tackled at first contact.

As for Samuel, well ... just not that impressed.
What do you mean Godwin can get into position for tough catches but can't bring them in?!?!?! He has an 85.7% contested catch conversion rate. Last time I checked that involves a lot of catching. Godwin all the way.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLEX
Team One
QB - Wilson
RB - Swift, Saquon, Drake, Gaskin, Perine, Rachaad White
WR - ARob, Godwin, C. Davis, Mooney, Garrett Wilson, Golladay, Christian Watson, David Bell, Gabriel Davis
TE - Knox, Hooper, Everett
2023Picks -1 Second, 1 Third
Team 2
Qb - Lawrence, Tua, Zach Wilson
WR - Tee Higgins, AJ Brown, Jefferson, D.J. Moore, Van Jefferson, Gabriel Davis, Skyy Moore
RB - Melvin Gordon, Henry, Gaskin, Gainwell, Zamir White, Ronald Jones, Keontay Ingram
TE - Waller, Gesicki
2023 Picks- 1st, 2nd and 3rd

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:06 am

Love Godwin. If Hackenberg hadn't sucked so much for Godwin's first couple years, people would be much higher in him. (Though a lot of the blame should fall on that awful OLine.) I only follow a handful of college teams, so when I see a talent that I think can translate, I make a point to grab that player. That's why I had A-Rob ranked as my 1.02 in 2014, and I ranked Godwin as my 1.07 this year. Now I didn't draft him anywhere near that high, but that is how much I value Godwin's talent.

Zay I consider to be an average to slightly above average prospect. I like his chances to succeed, but I think he was being overvalued when I saw him going in the 1.08-1.10 range.

Samuel is a player I worry about when it come to his transition the the NFL as well as his fit in an offense, let alone the CAR offense.
The standard is the standard.

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Defender wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:06 am If Hackenberg hadn't sucked so much for Godwin's first couple years
Hackenberg did not suck. He was a hammer being asked to tighten a screw. There is a big difference.

albedo1986
Role Player
Role Player

Postby albedo1986 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:14 pm

I am slightly in love with Godwin's athletic profile/efficiency in college. I see him beating out Humphries pretty easily once he knows the system on 3 wides but until Desean is out, he won't be playing on the outside - which is where I can see him having even more of an impact.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:05 am

I'm surprised Godwin is favored so much here over Zay Jones. Zay Jones was the 4th WR drafted by a team drafting for a starting WR. Godwin was the 11th WR. Godwin clearly needs more developing while Zay Jones seems to be a more polished WR.

I think ArDarius Stewart is the better comparable to Godwin. Given the two, situation and draft pedigree, I'd take Stewart. Seems no one is discussing Stewart bc he is on the Jets, yet he is the most talented WR on the Jets.

albedo1986
Role Player
Role Player

Postby albedo1986 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:50 am

remedy29 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:05 am I'm surprised Godwin is favored so much here over Zay Jones. Zay Jones was the 4th WR drafted by a team drafting for a starting WR. Godwin was the 11th WR. Godwin clearly needs more developing while Zay Jones seems to be a more polished WR.

I think ArDarius Stewart is the better comparable to Godwin. Given the two, situation and draft pedigree, I'd take Stewart. Seems no one is discussing Stewart bc he is on the Jets, yet he is the most talented WR on the Jets.
Zay came from a small school where they are it out all the time, and he played for 4 full years with a late breakout age, he's the classic "compiler" which is why people are down on him. But much like Cooper Kupp, I agree, I think he can be a starting wide receiver rather quickly, I just don't see him doing exceptionally well and when you're looking at these players you're looking for upside - not run of the mill. Zay is also in a shitty situation unless Watkins leaves or gets injured again (and even if he does, I don't know how many targets he would really be getting with how poor his efficiency is, I don't see it carrying much weight).

Any reason why you think ArDarius Stewart should be compared to Godwin? I only ask because his best comparable has been Pierre Garcon.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:18 am

albedo1986 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:50 am
remedy29 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:05 am
Any reason why you think ArDarius Stewart should be compared to Godwin? I only ask because his best comparable has been Pierre Garcon.
Not play style wise, I think Stewart will have a better NFL career than Godwin.
I don't see Godwin in a great situation for stardom, not with Mike Evans there.

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby RightlegTucker » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:20 pm

Chris Godwin training camp HYPE already in full swing.

https://www.roarlionsroar.com/nfl-nitta ... amp-video

:dance: